Iran to buy SU-30MK

aneep

i'd put this down to Israeli propaganda (or even US MIC)
they want to sell more weapons to Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc
and of course, Israel would like more US aid too
to justify that, hmm, how about 'Iran wants 250 Su-30 from Russia!!!'

-aneep-

eaf-f16

i'd put this down to Israeli propaganda (or even US MIC)
they want to sell more weapons to Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc
and of course, Israel would like more US aid too
to justify that, hmm, how about 'Iran wants 250 Su-30 from Russia!!!'

-aneep-
:eek:nfloorl: Yeah, that's what I said. I think the weapons that most of the Gulf countries are buying will serve their duty as deterrents (and that if there is a real and significant threat) but other than that it's not far-fetched to think most of the planes, tanks, and any of the other equipment they're buying won't just rust away in storage (at the very most they'd be used in war games). There is no need for any of the Gulf countries to buy what they're buying and there is no need for them to fear Iran's military (except maybe their strategic missile forces or whatever they're called these days). Israel doesn't really care what the gulf countries are doing unless it involves WMD's or making peace with them so there is no need for them to fear Israel either.

ahussains

:eek:nfloorl: Yeah, that's what I said. I think the weapons that most of the Gulf countries are buying will serve their duty as deterrents (and that if there is a real and significant threat) but other than that it's not far-fetched to think most of the planes, tanks, and any of the other equipment they're buying won't just rust away in storage (at the very most they'd be used in war games). There is no need for any of the Gulf countries to buy what they're buying and there is no need for them to fear Iran's military (except maybe their strategic missile forces or whatever they're called these days). Israel doesn't really care what the gulf countries are doing unless it involves WMD's or making peace with them so there is no need for them to fear Israel either.

Impossaible that Iran will Purachse such a huge amount of Su30 it atleast take 15 years to deliverd all the Numbers... of 250

contedicavour

One thing is sure however : the only decent air superiority fighter available for Iran today is the SU30 ... Europe and the US won't sell anything, and China's J10 isn't ready yet for flawless mass production.
Without SU30s Iran would end up only with local bizarre things as the copy of the F5 or of old Chinese models.
True, there's no more Iraqi air force threat to their west, but Iran's leadership wouldn't want to look inferior to UAE F16Block60, Kuwaiti F18s or Saudi F15Ss... and may be Typhoons (by the way Ozzy where on Earth did you find the data claiming that Flankers have better "raw performance", radars and range than Typhoons Batch 2 ??? :rolleyes: )

cheers

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I had a chat with some Iranians on one of the Iranian military forums (this one was not so much childish) some time ago. According to its most members its just a rumor that Iranian Air Force is buying Su-30s. They have so far only shown interest in newer MiG-29 & even that in small numbers. I think Iranians want to wait & see how their home grown projects are going to turn out.

But as far as the logic goes, contedicavour is right. Iran has no option other than Su-30 for air superiority fighter. However, couple of weeks ago GEO TV (Pakistani News Channel ... pretty much crediible) is reported that Pentagon "accidently"sold F-14 parts in international market & according to Pentagon's report these parts might/must have reached Iran. Pretty odd, confusing, shocking & questionble report I would say & the word "accidently" in it is sarcastically funny.

sidewinder2006

With the current US governments attitude towards Iran...an invasion by US forces is very much possible in near future !

And the russians wont rEally want SU30MKxxx to fall in US hands. ..
Simply ...250 su (if ever aquired...mind you guys... "IF" ) is not enough to stop USAF and USN Onslaught,you need a lot more than that !

aneep

"accidently" because Pentagon have many contractors that buys surplus items, some could be resold to another buyer (and resold again) and ends up in Iran

-aneep-

contedicavour

With the current US governments attitude towards Iran...an invasion by US forces is very much possible in near future !

And the russians wont rEally want SU30MKxxx to fall in US hands. ..
Simply ...250 su (if ever aquired...mind you guys... "IF" ) is not enough to stop USAF and USN Onslaught,you need a lot more than that !
True, nothing would be enough to stop the USN and USAF, but a few SU30 (or MIG29SMT) equipped squadrons would at least make IRIAF credible vs its neighbors operating latest Blocks of F16 and F15s (namely UAE and Saudi). If Kuwait replaces F18s with Super Hornets, and if Saudi buys Typhoon Batch 2, then SU30 becomes urgently needed.

cheers

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
"accidently" because Pentagon have many contractors that buys surplus items, some could be resold to another buyer (and resold again) and ends up in Iran

-aneep-
The report dint say "Pentagon accidently sold F-14 parts to Iran", it just said "Pentagon accidently sold F-14 parts". Selling to a party/contractors knowingly is no accident. & doesnt further selling require American approval? Besides, why would anyone sell & buy F-14 parts when only one country operates them now, Iran?

contedicavour

The report dint say "Pentagon accidently sold F-14 parts to Iran", it just said "Pentagon accidently sold F-14 parts". Selling to a party/contractors knowingly is no accident. & doesnt further selling require American approval? Besides, why would anyone sell & buy F-14 parts when only one country operates them now, Iran?
I agree that this sounds very strange... unless some enthousiast has bought disarmed F14s for his private collection or for a museum :D
By the way I look forward to a good deal of F14s ending up in museums such as Smithsonian in Washington or aboard the Intrepid in New York ! Destroying the inventory just to make sure Iran doesn't get a hand on them is very sad for such a great jet.

cheers

contedicavour

Concerning the F-14 parts being sold to Iran:

-Most of the F-14 parts that pentagon sold were recovered.
-There is no evidence that parts were obtained by Iran.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/02/AR2007080201271.html
How can IRIAF still fly approx 20-25 F14s 28 years after sanctions were enforced ? Other than cannibalization of grounded jets and illegal imports one can only think that local industry has been able to copy some F14 components.

cheers

How can IRIAF still fly approx 20-25 F14s 28 years after sanctions were enforced ? Other than cannibalization of grounded jets and illegal imports one can only think that local industry has been able to copy some F14 components.

cheers
I suspect a combination of Cannibalizatoin , illegally importing , and manufacture some of the parts locally.

metro

cheers
Regarding the F-14s, I think the article in this link: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=110308&postcount=21 (about half-way down), along with the Washington Post article, gives some more detail into Iran's "Quest for the F-14."
I've also read in a couple places that Iran has received some "generous" help from Russia and China in manufacturing needed parts to keep some of their F-14s "airworthy." That's probably a very relative word... But who knows, maybe we will get to see them fly?

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
I suspect a combination of Cannibalizatoin , illegally importing , and manufacture some of the parts locally.
There was a report (was it in The Economist?) that one batch of parts bought for Iran had been caught being smuggled out of the USA, confiscated, then put into a sale of contraband by US Customs - and sold to another buyer acting on behalf of Iran! :eek:nfloorl:

ahussains

I had a chat with some Iranians on one of the Iranian military forums (this one was not so much childish) some time ago. According to its most members its just a rumor that Iranian Air Force is buying Su-30s. They have so far only shown interest in newer MiG-29 & even that in small numbers. I think Iranians want to wait & see how their home grown projects are going to turn out.

But as far as the logic goes, contedicavour is right. Iran has no option other than Su-30 for air superiority fighter. However, couple of weeks ago GEO TV (Pakistani News Channel ... pretty much crediible) is reported that Pentagon "accidently"sold F-14 parts in international market & according to Pentagon's report these parts might/must have reached Iran. Pretty odd, confusing, shocking & questionble report I would say & the word "accidently" in it is sarcastically funny.
Its amazing that US sell parts of F14 in international market for which country i think according to my knwoledge and as wikipedia US and Iran is the only tow countries using F14 or may be Israel have some in numbers they can easily reach US.. Geo is a reliable source ???
and i think Iran dosent have to worried about from Saudis and UAE ....

Its US double standards

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Its amazing that US sell parts of F14 in international market for which country i think according to my knwoledge and as wikipedia US and Iran is the only tow countries using F14 or may be Israel have some in numbers they can easily reach US.. Geo is a reliable source ???
and i think Iran dosent have to worried about from Saudis and UAE ....

Its US double standards
Israel doesnt have any. Iran is the only country operating F-14s now. & I dont think F-14 can fly from Middle East to USA (Directly).

[GEO is reliable when it comes to collecting news/info from their own people & from reliable wester media sources. Their team has experience of over 60 years (from Jung & The News)]

Iran should be worried. If not by KSA & UAE than by USA, which is now in Afghanistan & Iraq - Iran's bordering region.

metro

There was a report (was it in The Economist?) that one batch of parts bought for Iran had been caught being smuggled out of the USA, confiscated, then put into a sale of contraband by US Customs - and sold to another buyer acting on behalf of Iran! :eek:nfloorl:
"Pardon Me"!? :pope
I don't recall your alleged story ever having been published in The Economist. If you can Recall the issue it's in, I would like to read the article for myself. Otherwise, "out of sight, out of mind..." nothing like that ever happened.:coodaid ;)

Well, at least we caught the problem on purpose this time--"Export controls." Or, we luckily stumbled across it--"Export controls."

kams

I was wondering about the weapons (especially Missiles) for Iran's F-14. Even if few of the original F-14s are still flying, their original stock of Guided missiles are long past the expiry date and outdated too. Any idea about how Iran's F-14 are armed?

tphuang

Super Moderator
I was wondering about the weapons (especially Missiles) for Iran's F-14. Even if few of the original F-14s are still flying, their original stock of Guided missiles are long past the expiry date and outdated too. Any idea about how Iran's F-14 are armed?
well I read that China actually did a lot of work for the Iranians on their fleet. It's possible that they are using Chinese missiles by now.