Indonesian Aero News

Ananda

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if the budget were enough, will the TNI buy weaponry like Indian military, a mix from Russia, Western Europe, Israel and US. Just like they mix Kilo and Type 209 for their navy.
I think the policy right now, is to not depend on one source so avoiding crippling the Armed Force in case of embargo. Also political pressure now quite strong that any procurement must be accompany with Tech Transfer agreement in some kind with local manufacturers. Off course it's the intention. Have to be seen if all new procurement will be conducted on that Principe.

Israel ? well : Israeli Defense Exports to Indonesia Green-lighted
According to that, Israel is keen to be Indonesia's defense supplier. However due to political sensitivity, it will create problem. Like the UAV : jurnas.com: Pesawat Intai Tanpa Awak Dikirim Tahun Ini
It's said the first detachment of UAV for the planed UAV squadron in Pontianak (Kalimantan) will be coming this year. The UAV is a MALE category originated from 'Philippines', even though everybody including the Parliament knows it's most likely from Israel (unless Philippines already produced proven MALE category UAV). In short Indonesia already sourcing some system from Israel for some time, but with political heating due to everybody jockeying their position for 2014 election, I honestly do not know if procurement from Israel will be conducted in future (at least up to election 2014).

How will the F-16 be splitted between these 2 squadrons? SkU 3 the 10 upgraded ones and the 24 'new' ones to SkU 14? Or will it be splitted 50:50?
According to this (from Air Force site) : SKADRON UDARA 16 DIBANGUN DI LANUD PEKANBARU | Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara
TNI-AU will build new squadron (Sq # 16) in Pekanbaru to be equipped with F-16. Thus the ex USAF F-16 seems will be put to enhanced Sq 3 (existing F-16) and new Sq 16. Pekanbaru then will have 2 sq (Sq 12; Hawk 209/109 and Sq 16; F-16). Sq 14 (F-5) perhaps will not get F-16. If this mean they will get new one or still keeping their F-5 will have to be seen. For one thing, so far besides ex USAF F-16, Additional Flankers, and TA-50 and Super Tucano, no additional procurement is plan (at least officially).

Its now 2012, but after 6 years not even one NC212-400 is build and delivered.....How is this possible?
Well according DI, they got the agreement with Airbus to relocate C-212-400 manufacturing facilities to Bandung at 2009. The process took place from 2010 to end 2011. They already got order from local Airlines Airfast for 1, while there're also outstanding order of 12 C-212-400 from Thailand, in which 2 already send by Airbus, while the rest will be manufactured and send by DI.

So it has not been for 6 years, since the process from transferring the manufacturing facility from EADS San Pablo (ex Casa) site to DI Bandung site, just finished recently.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Embrio for local Air-Survailances Radar Manufacturing ?
Lockheed Martin · Lockheed Martin Teams with PT CMI Teknologi for Indonesia National Air Space Surveillance Program

SINGAPORE, Feb. 14, 2012 – Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] signed a teaming agreement with Indonesian technology firm PT CMI Teknologi to improve airspace surveillance, safety, and management over the Indonesian Archipelago in support of the government’s defense revitalization initiative.

During a signing ceremony at the Singapore Air Show, company representatives agreed to jointly pursue the National Airspace Surveillance – Republic of Indonesia (NASRI) program with the intent to produce more than 40 new TPS-77 and FPS-117 long-range surveillance radars in-country.
The LM Press release clearly stated that the final intention of this 'teaming' between them and CMI is for local production of LM TPS-77 and FPS-117 air Survailance radars.

Few local radar initiatives have come out this last few years but mostly for coastal surveillance. Those initiatives come out from government funded research agency, however no commercial production has come out yet.

Most of Indonesian Air Surveillance radar procured recently came from Thales. Seems with teaming with local company and promised to build the radar locally, LM has read current political mood which (from The Administrations and Parliament) show increasing political pressure for ToT and local production for defense related equipment. Wonder if Thales will conduct similar move.

Sandhi Yudha

Thanks for your explanation Ananda.
Israel ? well : Israeli Defense Exports to Indonesia Green-lighted
According to that, Israel is keen to be Indonesia's defense supplier. However due to political sensitivity, it will create problem. The UAV is a MALE category originated from 'Philippines', even though everybody including the Parliament knows it's most likely from Israel (unless Philippines already produced proven MALE category UAV). In short Indonesia already sourcing some system from Israel for some time, but with political heating due to everybody jockeying their position for 2014 election, I honestly do not know if procurement from Israel will be conducted in future (at least up to election 2014).
Maybe our goverment want to use a construction like this:
buying Forposts from Russia, which are in fact IAI Searchers Mk II assembled in Russia.

According to this (from Air Force site) : SKADRON UDARA 16 DIBANGUN DI LANUD PEKANBARU | Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara
TNI-AU will build new squadron (Sq # 16) in Pekanbaru to be equipped with F-16. Thus the ex USAF F-16 seems will be put to enhanced Sq 3 (existing F-16) and new Sq 16. Pekanbaru then will have 2 sq (Sq 12; Hawk 209/109 and Sq 16; F-16). Sq 14 (F-5) perhaps will not get F-16. If this mean they will get new one or still keeping their F-5 will have to be seen. For one thing, so far besides ex USAF F-16, Additional Flankers, and TA-50 and Super Tucano, no additional procurement is plan (at least officially).
According to this article in Air International from November 2011, the F-5s from SkU14 will be replaced by some of the 24+6 F-16's from Arizona. But maybe the your article is more up-to-date and thus more reliable... btw your article is also from tni-au.mil.id

Sandhi Yudha

Embrio for local Air-Survailances Radar Manufacturing ?

Most of Indonesian Air Surveillance radar procured recently came from Thales. Seems with teaming with local company and promised to build the radar locally, LM has read current political mood which (from The Administrations and Parliament) show increasing political pressure for ToT and local production for defense related equipment. Wonder if Thales will conduct similar move.
Thanks Ananda.

Here some pictures last week, taken by me at Pekanbaru.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Thanks Ananda.

Here some pictures last week, taken by me at Pekanbaru.
I valued Hawk presences within TNI-AU (they're the most operational ready fighters in the fleet), but I still don't like them. I still can't forgives Soeharto's children action jack-up 100% procurement prices for them. Still those Hawk I admit need MLU to make them still reliable for 2020+. Nice pictures though, thanks.

Btw; two camo's scheme for Hawks. Perhaps showing reminiscence by some 'past' TNI-AU brass that can't make decisions whether using them for Ground Support or Air Defense :D

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently the Indonesian airforce has been testing domestic munitions on their Flankers. BLAP-50 and BTN-250 bombs, in particular.

Lenta.ru:

What kind of bombs are these? Does anyone know?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
What kind of bombs are these? Does anyone know?
Attached is a Picture of the bomb (BTN 250 or Life Munition Bomb 250) being attached into TNI-AU Flanker pylon. Basically it's a 'dumb' general purpose iron bomb based on Russian FAB 250 design.

Sandhi Yudha

I have some (maybe dumb) questions:
I always thought the F-5E/Fs from SkU 14 are still active, but according to Wiki they were retired in 2005? Is this really true?

Second one, also according to Wiki (yes, i know, not really a 100% reliable source of information)
Indonesia and even Timor-Lorosae are operators of the IAI Searcher, whats true about this?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I have some (maybe dumb) questions:
I always thought the F-5E/Fs from SkU 14 are still active, but according to Wiki they were retired in 2005? Is this really true?

Second one, also according to Wiki (yes, i know, not really a 100% reliable source of information)
Indonesia and even Timor-Lorosae are operators of the IAI Searcher, whats true about this?
Everybody with wiki account can write in Wiki. So yes, it's reliability is not very high in some aspects. In 2005 the F-5 did still operating, and they (F-5) still fly on the Fly-pass up until last year Fly-pass on TNI's 5th October birthday. Asian Military Review latest regional Air Force directory still put them in the Inventory, and the Air Force chief said the 14th Sq (F-5 sq) still operational although he admitted the operational capability has continue decreasing.

For IAI Searcher, well you will not find an Indonesian Armed Forces official that admitted they operating IAI stuff. Some journalists spotted IAI UAV on TNI-AU operation in Papua several years ago, but TNI simply said those UAV was in loan from SAF. Even now, when TNI admitted they're operating UAV sq, well the origination of those 'MALE' UAV are from Philippines. Honestly I Don't know which 'MALE UAV from Philippines they bought :D.

Sandhi Yudha

Thanks for your explanation.

On anothre forum someone has placed this picture.
Whats the black missile, it looks like a Rapier, but it isnt...

STURM

Honestly I Don't know which 'MALE UAV from Philippines they bought :D.
The 'bought from Philippines' tag is just a euphemism, as we all know :) .
A few years back, to cater for customers that wanted the Litening pod but didn't have relations with Israel, there were plans for Zeiss in Germany to assemble the Litening and apply a 'Made In Germany' tag. Similarly, if Indonesia wanted Israeli UAVs, they could always arrange for a company in the Philippines to 'buy' them and re-export them to Indonesia.

Has the government ever official acknowledge that the some of PT-76s were upgraded by NIMDA? Also who was the go between for acquiring the ex-Israeli Skyhawks, was it a U.S. company?

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
From Antara News Agency with Google translate: Enam Super Tocano Dipastikan Tiba Agustus 2012 | ANTARA JATIM : Portal Berita Daerah Jawa Timur

Malang - Six aircraft EMB-314 Super Tucano made in Brazil will arrive in August 2012 at Air Force Base Abdurahman Saleh, Malang regency, East Java.

Certainty is said Operations Commander Air Force II (Pangkoopsau II), the Young Marshal Ismono Widjajanto, in Malang after the handover of office (Sertijab) air base commander (Danlanud) Abduracham Saleh on Tuesday.

"The delivery of this Brazilian-made aircraft will be gradual, and from a total of 18 tactical aircraft ordered, six months of the aircraft certainly arrived in August 2012," he said.
Honestly sometimes I wonder why some brass in the Armed Forces put statement that differed with official ones. The Official ones talk about 8 firm orders and 8 option. Now he's talking 18 firm order (and he's an Air Force divisional commander). Is this intentional leak ? well in Indonesia, you'll never know :D

Has the government ever official acknowledge that the some of PT-76s were upgraded by NIMDA? Also who was the go between for acquiring the ex-Israeli Skyhawks, was it a U.S. company?
What NIMDA's upgraded ? The PT-76 upgraded locally with Detroit Diesel engine and Belgium guns, and some other 'unknown' foreign kit ;) :D

Off course we all know Sturm that the Philipines company only used as 'stamp' origination for UAV. My previous posts on this UAV thing just being sarcastic. I just point out that Min-def should used more 'believable' source as 'stamp' origination rather than Philipines company that never has anything to do with MALE UAV before. It's a charade, but they should do better ones.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
From Defense-Aerospace : Eurocopter to Supply Six EC725 Combat Search And Rescue Helicopters to PT Dirgantara Indonesia for Customization and Delivery to Indonesian Air Force

The option for EC-725 has been around for some time. DI originally has to delivered 9 AS-332 Super Puma to the TNI-AU based on the late 90's contract with the Min-def. However due the internal mismanagement problem with then DI Management, they can only afford to finish 6 Super Puma.

By 2010, the new Management offered Min-def to finished the 3 Super Puma contract but converted the contract for newer EC-725. However seems now they will delivered 6 EC-725. The complete airframe assemblies will be conducted by DI with (from local sources in here) 60% parts come from Eurocopter, while DI will manufactured close to 40% of the parts.

Sandhi Yudha

From Defense-Aerospace : Eurocopter to Supply Six EC725 Combat Search And Rescue Helicopters to PT Dirgantara Indonesia for Customization and Delivery to Indonesian Air Force

The option for EC-725 has been around for some time. DI originally has to delivered 9 AS-332 Super Puma to the TNI-AU based on the late 90's contract with the Min-def. However due the internal mismanagement problem with then DI Management, they can only afford to finish 6 Super Puma.

By 2010, the new Management offered Min-def to finished the 3 Super Puma contract but converted the contract for newer EC-725. However seems now they will delivered 6 EC-725. The complete airframe assemblies will be conducted by DI with (from local sources in here) 60% parts come from Eurocopter, while DI will manufactured close to 40% of the parts.
o yes...this contract has been signed almost 20 years ago....:rolleyes:

Gadjah Mada

Anybody knows whether Is it correct? :

Inggris Jual 24 Pesawat Tempur ke Indonesia
Besar Kecil Normal
TEMPO.CO, London-- Inggris menjual 24 unit pesawat tempur Eurofighter Typhoons senilai 2 miliar pound sterling ke Indonesia. Penjualan pesawat tempur senilai Rp 29,2 triliun itu telah disepakati oleh pemerintah Inggris dan Indonesia tahun lalu.

Perdana Menteri Inggris David Cameron menjelaskan rencana itu sebelum terbang ke Jakarta. Rabu 11 April 2012, ia tiba di Jakarta dalam rangka kunjungan kerja selama dua hari. Kedatangannya ke Indonesia didampingi sejumlah pengusaha di bidang pertahanan di Inggris.

“Inggris membuat sejumlah perlengkapan pertahanan yang terbaik di dunia, dan ini tepat untuk Indonesia, yang kriterianya sama dengan yang kami terapkan pada rekan kerja di seluruh dunia,” kata Cameron.

Considering Tempo is quite a credible source in Indonesia. It is surprising though, considering neither the government nor the Air Force showed any interest in Typhoon publicly, unlike Sukhoi, F-16 or even the Tucanos.

Gadjah Mada

Indonesia explore defense equipment purchase from England

Jurnas.com | Defence Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said Indonesia is exploring the purchase of defense equipment from Britain. In a meeting with Prime Minister (PM) David Cameron today, the discourse was ejected.

"There was little mention of defense cooperation, but of course we will look further. On defense equipment actually now we're talking about to be bought from the UK," Purnomo said at the Merdeka Palace, Jakarta, Wednesday (11/4).

However, Purnomo did not elaborate further about the type of defense equipment would be purchased from the UK. "Startrek (rocket launcher counterforce air strikes) and multiple rocket launcher. It's in between. But the numbers were not so great. I forget (the score). Little value anyway," he said.

Purnomo added, citing instructions from President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono about the need for cooperation or transfer of production technology weapons in the process. Previously, he added, Indonesia also had to buy Hawk fighter trainer aircraft made ​​in England.

Planned purchase of defense equipment, according to Purnomo, there will be further discussed between both parties. "This is business to business. Still talk about," he said.
May be this news is more accurate since there is need for such equipment, however where to buy has not been decided yet.
Anybody could describe about Startrek? Is it a replacement for Rapier missile?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Typhoon for Indonesia ? : Inggris Jual 24 Pesawat Tempur ke Indonesia | nasional | Tempo.co

From Indonesian Tempo on-line (with Google translate):

TEMPO.CO, London - England sells 24 units of aircraft Eurofighter Typhoons worth 2 billion pounds sterling to Indonesia. Sales of aircraft valued at Rp 29.2 trillion, it has been agreed by the UK government and Indonesia last year.

British Prime Minister David Cameron explained that the plan before flying to Jakarta. Wednesday, April 11, 2012, he arrived in Jakarta in the framework of a two-day working visit. His return to Indonesia accompanied by a number of entrepreneurs in the field of defense in England.
@Gadjah Mada, it's not Startreak, but Starstreak II also known as MANPADS which is a short range point defense SAM. However you should be careful with what come out from Indonesia media right now in the matter of defense procurement.

I've put an example of the news from Tempo on the procurement of 24 Thphoon. Usually Tempo quite careful on the source of their news, but it's also (at least from me) on this particular news still not firm enough.

With current political climate in Indonesia, even a done deal like the 6 SU-30 latest purchase, can be debated much longer, due to political bruhaha in the parliament.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
O no... please not again another different type of cheap low end MANPADS stuff...
I Don't think Starstreak can be considered cheap low end stuff. Moreover if you compared with Polish stuff. Still like I said in my previous post. Have to be careful to read the info from Indonesia Media these days. A lot of unconfirmed info moving around, even a respectable media like Tempo can get slip, like their claim of Typhoon deal that I've put forward above.