Indian Navy Kitty Hawk Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well, you could make the MiG-29K or another CTOL work with Invincible or another SCS. Would only require strap-on modules for the aircraft (JATO, RATO, ZELL), and some in-depth analysis on arresting gear, airframe strengthening, and deck parking layouts.
Could probably employ 6-8 fighters minimum in that manner without many problems from a small SCS such as Invincible, though it would be a rather extreme stopgap measure, and not exactly cheap in operation.
Can the deck of the Invincible or other SCS take the weight of an aircraft slamming into it during an arrestor landing? Big difference between an arrestor landing at fairly high speed and a Harrier or F-35B doing a comparatively slow and gentle landing.

swerve

Super Moderator
The Indian's were interested in some of the UK's Sea Harriers but the UK was only interested in selling them without the Blue Vixen radar, last I heard the Indian Navy decided it wasn't worth it.....
Perhaps the worst procurement decision the Indian Navy has ever made. It turned down RN Sea Harriers, according to the official statement because they were on offer without the Blue Vixen and AMRAAM (we couldn't actually sell the AMRAAMs without US permission, so nobody has any idea why that was even an issue), but had already decided in principle to upgrade its Harriers with EL/M-2032 & Derby, and was negotiating the deal.

In other words, it turned down aircraft despite them being a perfect fit for its plans, for the very reasons which made them a perfect fit.

Adding the RN Sea Harriers to the upgrade programme would have been extremely easy.

Sea Toby

Perhaps the worst procurement decision the Indian Navy has ever made. It turned down RN Sea Harriers, according to the official statement because they were on offer without the Blue Vixen and AMRAAM (we couldn't actually sell the AMRAAMs without US permission, so nobody has any idea why that was even an issue), but had already decided in principle to upgrade its Harriers with EL/M-2032 & Derby, and was negotiating the deal.

In other words, it turned down aircraft despite them being a perfect fit for its plans, for the very reasons which made them a perfect fit.

Adding the RN Sea Harriers to the upgrade programme would have been extremely easy.
India can still buy them and upgrade them if necessary to fill a short term gap. But that is difficult to do when long range plans are bearing fruit within a few years.

swerve

Super Moderator
India can still buy them and upgrade them if necessary to fill a short term gap. But that is difficult to do when long range plans are bearing fruit within a few years.
They've fairly quietly bought 4 recently, without radars, supposedly as spares sources. It'll be interesting to see if they're actually refurbished & put into service. There are still a few more in the UK which could be restored to service. None flying, but some taxiing.

contedicavour

they are despert for new aircraft thought the Harrier's are being upgraded they only 9 single seat small wing harriers[which are going though a long overhaul seriously reducing numbers] so buying old shagged harriers from other air forces might still happen
Only 9 operational Harriers left ? Ouch... plus if I got it right no Derby BVRs have been installed at the end ?
This means that effectively no significant carrier ops can take place until the former Gorshkov enters service with the MIG29... let's in 2010 ?

cheers

kams

Only 9 operational Harriers left ? Ouch... plus if I got it right no Derby BVRs have been installed at the end ?
This means that effectively no significant carrier ops can take place until the former Gorshkov enters service with the MIG29... let's in 2010 ?

cheers
X posting from Indian navy thread

HAL has contracted with Indian Navy to upgrade 14 Sea Harrier aircraft with new Fire Control Radar, Combat maneuver Monitoring and flight recorder, Multi function display unit, Ring laser gyro, Inertial Navigation and Ground Positioning System, Modified Radar hand controller & stick top and Beyond visual range missile with launcher.The contract was signed on 30 March 2005 for Rs. 476.69 Crores (US $ 120 million approximtely). As per contract the flight test completion of two prototype aircraft is scheduled in Feb 2007. Two prototype aircraft are currently being upgraded and flight trials are planned in Feb 2007. The series upgrade of 12 aircraft are scheduled from April 2007 to March 2008.
From report of standing committee on defence, 2006-7.

Swerve, The contract for Harrier upgrade had been signed in 2005.

As far Carrier ops, they did take part in multi-national exercise last year (one with US, Singapore, Australia Japan etc).

As to Gorshkov, I don't see how IN can get her before 2012.

swerve

Super Moderator
Swerve, The contract for Harrier upgrade had been signed in 2005. ...
So they refused ex-RN Harriers because of a lack of Blue Vixen radars a year after ordering different EL/M-2032, & missiles which are integrated with EL/M-2032 but not Blue Vixen, for the existing fleet!

Whoever was responsible for that decision should be keel-hauled on Viraat.

I found a quote: the IN said of the ex-RN SHARs that "devoid of their offensive systems, they wouldn't be of much use". True - but when you're already buying new offensive systems which will fit them nicely, totally unimportant . . .

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
No U.S. Plans to Sell Aging Carrier to India

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 31 May 16:19 EDT (12:19 GMT)

SINGAPORE - The U.S. has no plans to sell an aging aircraft carrier to India, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said May 31.

After addressing a high-level regional security forum, Gates was asked about rumors that the Kitty Hawk would be sold to India.

"I am aware of no such plans," Gates replied at the Shangri-La Dialogue forum of regional analysts, defense and security officials.

The Kitty Hawk was commissioned 47 years ago, but on May 28 it left its base in Japan for the last time. The U.S. Navy's oldest active-duty carrier is to be decommissioned next year, the ship's Web site said.

Kitty Hawk was based in Yokosuka, Japan, for nearly a decade, and was deployed to the Gulf during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Another carrier is to be based in Japan in place of the Kitty Hawk.
The USS Kitty Hawk is on it's way back to the USA. No plans to transfer the carrier which means India never asked for it.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The USS Kitty Hawk is on it's way back to the USA. No plans to transfer the carrier which means India never asked for it.
Even if they asked for it I doubt the US would give it to them, no one has bought a carrier from the US since after WW2. Besides the USN isn't interested in turning any of its older oil fuel super carriers into museums, scrapping them or turning them into reefs that are accessible to the public since they are similar in construction to the in service Nimitz class, instead it will sit for a few years or decades and probably be sunk in very deep water.

Sea Toby

I don't think the Indians ever considered buying one seriously. They said they might just to pressure the Russians. Its an open market.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was an attempt to pressure Russia on the price. The Russian response was "leaking" information that if the Gorshkov deal doesn't go through, Russian Navy might induct it instead.

swerve

Super Moderator
I don't think the Indians ever considered buying one seriously. They said they might just to pressure the Russians. Its an open market.
I didn't think they'd said anything about it. The only official statements I remember from anyone were denials, or PR people saying "I don't know anything about this" (remember, they'll never deny anything without orders to deny it). As far as I could see, it was completely unfounded speculation. A journalist who spotted the planned retirement of Kitty Hawk wrote an article suggesting that the Indian navy might be able to buy her, in a similar deal to the one for Trenton. It then snowballed in the press and on the internet, feeding on itself.

I tried to track down the original source, & all I could find was a speculative article. All the other reports were referring back to each other. Really, there was nothing there. Pure invention.

The Indian press doesn't see any reason to let facts get in the way of a good story.

Ozzy Blizzard

IMHO this was never a realistic deal. The maintenance requirements for a 45 year old 3 cat super-carrier would be truly nightmarish, i doubt they have the logistical sophistication/capability to effectively service that beast. Does the IN have the drydock facilities for an 80kt super-carrier? Plus it would be a waste unless you put a multi-squadron air group, which means a $10bn SH purchase. Pipe dream and totally excessive. For that money they could have built 2~3 brand new indigenous carriers that combined would still be less trouble to keep operational.

pawan_t

So they refused ex-RN Harriers because of a lack of Blue Vixen radars a year after ordering different EL/M-2032, & missiles which are integrated with EL/M-2032 but not Blue Vixen, for the existing fleet!

Whoever was responsible for that decision should be keel-hauled on Viraat.

I found a quote: the IN said of the ex-RN SHARs that "devoid of their offensive systems, they wouldn't be of much use". True - but when you're already buying new offensive systems which will fit them nicely, totally unimportant . . .
Well Mr. Swerve you forgot the key part of the puzzle, A highly optimistic ministry of defence with a standing order after nearly decade long negotiations for the refurbished Russian carrier and mig-29k, that is what made the MoD confident about refusing to buy anymore harriers, rest as they say is speculation with quoted sources which will be hard to verify, a hastly decision when one looks back to it, extra harriers would have served the Navy well, and it is nothing but immature to think that the navy was oblivious of this, however they do not control the money.

IMO it was only to extract the last mile from the old birds that the whole upgrade package must have been introduced, imagine if they shelved that too, O o that would have been a bigger disaster, not that the situation right now is any less.

pawan_t

Does the IN have the drydock facilities for an 80kt super-carrier?
CSL can repair ships up to 1,250,000 dunno how that translates for the navy?
Pipe dream and totally excessive. For that money they could have built 2~3 brand new indigenous carriers that combined would still be less trouble to keep operational.
that was the plan, with the Russian ship serving as the gap filler till the whole thing came on line, however that gap filler turned into a big gap :D

weasel1962

Re:

I think the Mig-29 squadron is going to spend at least a year on land than in the seas where its supposed to operate.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
CSL can repair ships up to 1,250,000 dunno how that translates for the navy?
Sorry 1,250,000 what? This is a bit of a throw away line that does not make sense

Are you talking total dock capacity in a yard or individual ship. I doubt the latter noting that the largest ships in the wrld was the Jarhe Viking (Built as the Knock Nevis) which was 564650 DWT and 548.5m long wiht a beam of 68.8m.

The other issue is even with a dock with sufficient weight capacity width is a common restirction. Look at Asutralia, we ahve floating docks that have an uplift cpacity sufficinet for the LHD's ordered BUT they lack the width. the extreame beam of the Kittyhwk is 68m whcih is wider than many graving docks. This is often compensated doe by putting the overhand over the side of the dock but tsi cannot be don for docks using gantry crains with rails on both side of the dock.

The point is it is not that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.