Indian Navy Discussions and Updates

swerve

Super Moderator
Since this is the second time the incomplete ship has been floated out of the dock, it's hard to see it as a significant event.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, i've seen those photographs and they've been out for quite a while now. But from my perspective it's a bit weird because in the UK we get buckets of pictures when a new piece turns up whereas for IAC-I if you google the ship you find a selection of images like the non-ariel view you linked but that's about it.

dragonfire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, i've seen those photographs and they've been out for quite a while now. But from my perspective it's a bit weird because in the UK we get buckets of pictures when a new piece turns up whereas for IAC-I if you google the ship you find a selection of images like the non-ariel view you linked but that's about it.
The IAC I is not complete, its still under construction, the vessel is expected to be commissioned only by 2018. Officially the pictures are not being released, its supposed to be for security reasons. I guess by 2015 we would start to see the actual final 'look' of the AC. IMHO the INS Vikrant would become operational only by 2019-2020 timeframe what with the Mig-29Ks being trained on the vessel (i.e the new air wing would take time in becoming battle ready)

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I know it's not completed but even so, there's much less publicly available imagery than other major projects and that just threw me a bit.

What's the planned air group for the carrier? Presumably a mixture of MiG29K, HAL Tejas and ASW helos

dragonfire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I know it's not completed but even so, there's much less publicly available imagery than other major projects and that just threw me a bit.

What's the planned air group for the carrier? Presumably a mixture of MiG29K, HAL Tejas and ASW helos
The Naval LCA is still in development although it has been test flown already. The 40K ton AC would be ideally flying 16 Fighters and upto 10 Helos mostly the Kamov series including AEW and Sea Kings. I expect depending on development of the Naval LCA, that all 16 would be Mig -29 Ks as they have already been ordered and delveries have started, or a combination of 10 to12 Migs and the rest NLCAs

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Certainly some highs and lows for the Indian Navy in the last few days.

A couple of days ago the hull of Vikrant was launched, and yes she still has a long way to go before commissioning:

India Hits 'Milestone' with Launch of Own Aircraft Carrier | Defense News | defensenews.com

And the news today that one of the Kilo class Submarines has caught fire and sunk with 18 of her crew still on board whilst docked in Mumbai:

Indian submarine sinks with 18 on board

It appears that this is the same Submarine that had a problem back in 2010 when a sailor was killed by a fire in the submarine’s battery compartment.

Also the sub was reported as having just returned from an overhaul and upgrade in Russia.

Submarines are certainly a dangerous place to be in when a major fire breaks out, even when you are safely tied up in port too.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^My thoughts are with the families of the trapped sailors and my prayers are with the salvage crew as they battle the blaze and try to rescue those trapped in the INS Sindhurakshak. Below is the Indian Navy's statement on the incident:

An explosion resulting in a major fire took place on board INS Sindhurakshak, a Kilo class submarine of the Indian Navy, shortly after midnight on 14 August 2013. Fire tenders from the Naval Dockyard as well as the Mumbai Fire Brigade were immediately pressed into action. However, due to as yet unknown damage suffered as a result of the explosion, the submarine has submerged at her berth with only a portion visible above the surface. About 18 persons were on board the submarine at the time of the accident and efforts are on to ascertain the safety of the personnel and salvage of the submarine. A Board of Inquiry is being instituted to investigate into the causes of the accident.​

The submarine is reported to have sunk with the men on board and around 16 fire engines along with water tankers, rescue vehicles, ambulances have been rushed to the spot. More than 12 hours after the INS Sindhurakshak exploded and sank at the Mumbai dockyard, no contact has been made with 18 sailors who are believed to be trapped inside. Indian naval divers have not been able to enter the submarine.

Video of explosion on INS Sindhurakshak

Indian Defence Minister AK Antony condoled the death of naval personnel on the submarine that exploded and sank in the naval dockyard in Mumbai. He briefed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the mishap before leaving for Mumbai where the incident took place.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Prayers, thoughts and condolences to the families and surviving crew. Sailing the high seas can be a dangerous business at the best of times, but when tied up alongside one has expectations of less risk. However charging of batteries like refuelling etc., is an evolution that carries an element of danger.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's really grim news - I know the RN lost a sub alongside under similar circumstances and there were fatalities (this is back in the 50's I believe) - so even if it's settled in shallow water, there are still complications. I'm sure all parties with sub rescue gear are on standby and help has been offered internationally.

I'll cross my fingers for a positive outcome.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That's really grim news - I know the RN lost a sub alongside under similar circumstances and there were fatalities (this is back in the 50's I believe) - so even if it's settled in shallow water, there are still complications. I'm sure all parties with sub rescue gear are on standby and help has been offered internationally.

I'll cross my fingers for a positive outcome.
Interesting you should mention that as the cause of that accident was a faulty HTP fuelled torpedo, as was the explosion that sunk Kursk. This was a Russian built and upgraded sub, what type of torpedos did it use?

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure - with the record of HTP fuelled torpedoes, I'd hope the Indians were using something less um...hazardous. There must have been flooding for the sub to go under so I wonder if they've had a major explosion?

I'm not sure - with the record of HTP fuelled torpedoes, I'd hope the Indians were using something less um...hazardous. There must have been flooding for the sub to go under so I wonder if they've had a major explosion?
After the incident with HMS Sidon, the RN abandoned HTP and focused on battery powered torpedos, but this was not an entirely happy story either, ending with the underpowered Tigerfish. The current RN Spearfish does use a similar but stable fuel Otto fuel II. It seems to be the only way to get the step change in performance required to chase fast/deep dived subs. I does make you think how stable fuel cells can be....particularly as they may end up in cars!

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed - sounds like the only survivors may be the few on the hull when the explosions occurred.

As you say, a tragedy and a very regrettable one :(

pshamim

Verified Defense Pro
The 2nd sub Sindhuratna is rumored /reported to be damaged as well. Incident is similar to a 1962 incident. Russian B-37 submarine was destroyed in an explosion and the other nearby submarine S-350 was badly damaged as well. There is a total silence by IN. No news or pictures fuelling speculation that it is crippled also and may be out of service for quite long.

Also the Russians are pointing fingers now towards Indian insistence to replace Russian batteries with Indian manufactured EXIDE batteries.

Last edited:

richardparker07

Banned Member
India Started to build In-house air craft carriers we can expect one more in next 10 years from Goa-Ship Yard or Cochin Ship yard...

There has been many improvements in Indian Navy , which is on to the place of Super Naval Power in Asia.

India is the only country from Asia to have 2 world class Aircraft carriers , My opinion is one need to be added to this type.

My Answer is 4..

Haavarla

If I were them and wanted to get as much out of the Rafale deal as I could, I certainly wouldn't be buying Mig-29Ks to operate from aircraft carriers... if you can sling something the size of a Flanker from a ramp deck then the Rafale shouldn't have too many issues, and there's already a marinised version in existence.
India like Russia does not use catapult to sling their jets up the ramp.

But RafaleM does.

We'd been over this before. The same doctrine of RuN & IN are quite visible.
But other navy AF are just not compatible.

Hense why Mig-29K are indeed a good and cheap Choice.
And, pls do not mention the F-35B.. cause its neighter good or cheap Choice for IN.

Beside. The IAF does operate Mig-29 as well.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
CATOBAR is on the table for IAC-II, nuc power too. Unrealistic, but options being studied nonetheless.

As their carrier force develops, their doctrine will develop. IIRC Russia opted for STOBAR as their CONOPS involves their carrier air being primarily fleet air defence supporting their missile carrying surface and subsurface fleet.

Time will tell if India will/won't believe they wish to conduct operations in such a way. Right now, they're developing their naval air capability so it's reasonable to follow a surrogate 'parent' service in the Russian Navy in developing this capability considering they bought one of their carriers. But if they want to become a serious carrier force, they might not wish to follow the same theory 10 years down the line.

AFAIK the proposition involved IAC-II coming around in the mid-2020's, realistically extend this to 2030. 2030, buying Rafales now (isn't the best solution if prepping carrier air is the aim.

I find the proposed naval PAK-FA to be an interesting development to follow in the future.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, Rafale-M will do STOBAR without modification (according to Dassault) so if I were making that call, I'd have wanted to go with one type for the two applications. Either buy Mig-29 for everything or Rafale.

I keep saying it but less types = more (more hours in the air per buck)

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If I were them and wanted to get as much out of the Rafale deal as I could, I certainly wouldn't be buying Mig-29Ks to operate from aircraft carriers... if you can sling something the size of a Flanker from a ramp deck then the Rafale shouldn't have too many issues, and there's already a marinised version in existence.
The MiG-29K's were a package deal with their "new" carrier Russia refitted for them with much drama and hilarity. Also at the time it was one of the only options available since the supply of Harriers was dwindling and they were shut out of its replacement.

Ski jumping a modern plane isn't an issue, back in 1982 the USN did some trials launching a F-14 with a static ski-jump at Pax River. Doing so with a useful payload is a different matter however.