Indian Navy Discussions and Updates

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
what makes India different to New Zealand if we are using your criteria for assessing a country? - Order of magnitude.
military reason against acquiring 3 carriers - India does not have sufficient ASW assets or experience to protect those expensive carriers for which it sacrificed so much for.
It could be argued that a sustainable carrier force is a pretty good basis for a sufficient ASW capability. ASW helos and modern submarines (nuc and DE) are considered a must for ASW, India has both and more on order. Don't forget the P-8I order either.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be argued that a sustainable carrier force is a pretty good basis for a sufficient ASW capability. ASW helos and modern submarines (nuc and DE) are considered a must for ASW, India has both and more on order. Don't forget the P-8I order either.
Agreed, it's not an area India need to improve on in my opinion, it'll mature quite nicely once the carriers come in. Might be able to flog them a few MASC helos to replace their Sea Kings too (IIRC they're in the market).

If I were India, i'd slap BrahMos on absolutely everything I expected to be involved in a "shooting war".

SpartanSG

military reason against acquiring 3 carriers - India does not have sufficient ASW assets or experience to protect those expensive carriers for which it sacrificed so much for, namely; feeding the hundreds of millions of people who live on less than 1 dollar a day, stopping child slavery, eradicating malaria and tuberculosis, increasing literacy rates, stopping the traffiking of women, implementing healthcare, building its infrastructure, etc, etc ad infinitum.
Your points are valid.

Just to add on to the points brought up by ngatimozart. India views the Indian Ocean as its backyard. In other words, it aspires to be the dominant naval power in the Indian Ocean.

Given the strategic rivalry with Pakistan and PRC, India feels that it needs to continue to build up its military capabilities, including having a true blue water navy with 3 aircraft carriers or more. In the naval arena, it is way ahead of Pakistan, but is lagging behind PRC in quite a few areas. It is also a sore point to the Indian Navy that the PLAN is operating in the Gulf of Aden (and hence part of their backyard), whilst they are unable to operate in PRC's backyard (the South China Sea and East China Sea) to a comparable extent.

With regard to ASW, it is a matter of pride in the Indian Navy that they sank a Pakistan submarine in 1971:

News Article in Depth

Not a lot of navies can make such claims, although the Indian Navy do need to modernise and upgrade the current ASW capabilities. But than again, that's what their submarines are for too.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Fair point. But someone still has to convince me as to why India needs a constant carrier presence?
Other countries seem to get by without this "comprehensive" capability.
India has 4 main naval bases, 2 which are of continental importance due to geo-int issues and one which is outposted and strategically located because its at the junction of sea lanes of control

Carriers as principle capital ships also do double duty as outposted command posts, it makes perfect sense to have 3 carriers in a widely dispersed strategic environment to fulfill those roles - esp considering the Indian area of maritime responsibility.

If anything, I'd argue that if India was in a position to do so, that she should have 5 carriers, that would leave all bases under effective sea control options and one asset in sustainment

3 is already a compromise

Its got zero to do with chest thumping an ego, its makes tactical sense and strategic sense to have a min of 3 carriers to manage and influence her maritime and geo space.

Carriers require supporting assets to have full utility and effect, and they also need to be able to call on air support in the green and grey at short notice, the current indian force structure enables her to cover off and respond with air support to 3 dispersed carrier groups relatively easily. she has the force redundancy and placement to effect, influence and support multiple groups

what she lacks at this point in time is the relative ratio of air warfare and ASW assets to confidently field and persistently support disparate and dispersed carrier groups. (and maintain her other maritime obligos as CTF's are but one tool in the maritime tool set)

this is only a point in time issue

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
IIRC the hope is to have two carrier groups operational at a time, to enable one to be deployed to the east & one to the west. That needs at least three carriers.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
IIRC the hope is to have two carrier groups operational at a time, to enable one to be deployed to the east & one to the west. That needs at least three carriers.
D'you happen to know if there is any particular reason as to why they're picking different configuration carriers?

IIRC the first is STOBAR, the second is CATOBAR and I have no idea what the third is.

Seems a bit perculiar to me, also does the IN plan on flying the Rafale on future CATOBAR carriers?

If it turns out they're all the same configuration, i'll look like a prize fool :rolleyes:

colay

D'you happen to know if there is any particular reason as to why they're picking different configuration carriers?

IIRC the first is STOBAR, the second is CATOBAR and I have no idea what the third is.

Seems a bit perculiar to me, also does the IN plan on flying the Rafale on future CATOBAR carriers?

If it turns out they're all the same configuration, i'll look like a prize fool :rolleyes:
It would appear that the Indians are convinced on the superiority of a CATOBAR ship otherwise why invest the resources to build one. If for some reason it doesn't work out for them, they can alway fall back to STOBAR, right?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It would appear that the Indians are convinced on the superiority of a CATOBAR ship otherwise why invest the resources to build one. If for some reason it doesn't work out for them, they can alway fall back to STOBAR, right?
Without appearing unnecessarily harsh, I think their current mixed mode is about poor planning rather than an evolving conops

the conops for STOL and CATOBAR are quite different, the launch rates, load up issues, fuel burn, basic form up issues are very different which means that they are running multiple conops for fundamentally the same mission set - ie reach out and strike.

it also impacts on how the fleet deploys, how they close up on the enemy of land based with its own air support etc...

I really don't see the current Indian navy force structure as planned in detail, its more about reacting to bad exchequer and mil planning fiascos that have never been allowed to develop properly and with approp considewration. thats a malaise that is common across a few services, not just IN

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without appearing unnecessarily harsh, I think their current mixed mode is about poor planning rather than an evolving conops
Agreed, it seems very hit'n'miss in that they've done a combination of purchasing a Russian example (Adm. Gorshkov) and then building several different configs themselves. It makes you wonder who is making the decisions.

The situation i've found, is that the IN has bought INS Vikramaditya (Gorshkov) in STOBAR, are building INS Vikrant in STOBAR + planning to build INS Vishal in CATOBAR, is this correct?

I found a bit of interesting bit of old info, at first I thought that the IN may use Rafale or the Su-33 on Vishal (I know they wanted it earlier, but dropped it for the MiG29K due to having to be CATOBAR, i think) at least, only initially, but now i'm not so sure but as usual, all depends on the accuracy of the article

Russian Navy to get fifth generation carrier fighter after 2020 | Defense | RIA Novosti

The appearance of a fifth generation fighter in Russian naval aviation will not happen before 2020, the outgoing head of the air forces and air defense forces of the Russian Navy, Lt. General Valery Uvarov told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
If the status-quo has changed, I have no idea.

Twain

Agreed, it seems very hit'n'miss in that they've done a combination of purchasing a Russian example (Adm. Gorshkov) and then building several different configs themselves. It makes you wonder who is making the decisions.

The situation i've found, is that the IN has bought INS Vikramaditya (Gorshkov) in STOBAR, are building INS Vikrant in STOBAR + planning to build INS Vishal in CATOBAR, is this correct?

I found a bit of interesting bit of old info, at first I thought that the IN may use Rafale or the Su-33 on Vishal (I know they wanted it earlier, but dropped it for the MiG29K due to having to be CATOBAR, i think) at least, only initially, but now i'm not so sure but as usual, all depends on the accuracy of the article

Russian Navy to get fifth generation carrier fighter after 2020 | Defense | RIA Novosti

The Vakramaditya is definitely STOBAR, IAC-1 is also STOBAR. IAC-2 is currently hoped/planned to be CATOBAR. The VAK is definitely going to use the MIG-29K. IAC-1 and IAC-2 are undetermined at this time. There are rumors that the IN is getting ready to place an order for 45 more MIG-29K's for IAC-1 but that is unconfirmed to the best of my knowledge.

As far as IAC-2 goes, the IN recently issued an RFI for what amounts to a CATOBAR MRF. There have been ideas floated for a "Sea Typhoon" and "Sea Gripen" but I would have to think the Rafale would be the favorite for IAC-2. I don't see why India would pay to develop CATOBAR variants of the eurofighter and gripen when the rafale will be entering the IAF inventory already.

All this has to be considered very tentative though, IAC-1 is not progressing smoothly at all. They recently had to move it out of dry dock to make room for other construction because the gear boxes for IAC-1 are not ready and they are having some difficulty getting them designed and completed.

Twinblade

The last thing Indian Navy needs is another naval fighter. In my opinion, funding a catobar version of Tejas would be far more economical in the long run for the navy than inducting any other type before AMCA. No matter how long Indian stretchable time for product development might be, a new carrier will take a good part of a decade to arrive.

Twain

The last thing Indian Navy needs is another naval fighter. In my opinion, funding a catobar version of Tejas would be far more economical in the long run for the navy than inducting any other type before AMCA. No matter how long Indian stretchable time for product development might be, a new carrier will take a good part of a decade to arrive.
I thought the navy had rejected the Tejas as unsuitable for their needs?

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really know much about the Naval Tejas but I assume it's a STOBAR aircraft (if not, please feel free to completely ignore me) and if so, then i'm not sure why you would want to do so. I'm under the impression that if the airframe is only currently offered in STOBAR (with no mention of CATOBAR) then I assume there'd need to be major strengthening work on the airframe needed to be done to allow it to cope with the forces it would experience with CATOBAR which adds 2 important things; weight + cost.

IIRC it was the same with Tiffy, that EADS said making it CATOBAR rather than STOBAR would be ludicrously expensive and would add some serious weight penalties so I imagine with Tejas (with the tag of "lightweight") this could be a pretty big problem.

dragonfire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The second IAC is still in the planning stages and the plans have not been submitted to the CCS (Cabinet Committee for Security) for approval. The Naval Design Directorate has not finalised its plans for the same. It is exploring the options to understand the benefits of CATOBAR so it has issued RFI to various defence contractors in this area, even EMALS was being considered.

IN has ordered 45 Mig-29 K for both the IAC-1 (INS Vikrant) and the INS Vikramaditya (Ex-Gorshkov). The former is supposed to carry about 29 and the latter 16. The other aircrafts for future consideration (read IAC 2) would be Naval Tejas and possibly the Rafale (nothing other than the finalization by IAF to support this view), however the Naval Tejas would be a poor choice in its current class to be considered for CATOBAR ops.

In my opinion IN has enough assets for 2 Carrier Groups currently, some of the members here have stated that IN doesnot have enough ASW assets am not too clear on that considering most new vessels and planned ships are of multi-role design and carry some amount of ASW weapons like anti-submarine rockets and torpedoes and carry Naval Helicopters capable of tracking and attacking sub-surface combatants.

All the current frigate classes & destroyer classes and the in-construction destroyer class (Kolkatta Class) and the planned Frigate class (Project 17 A) have this multi-role capability, is this not sufficient if not what additional capabilities are required.

@ Twain - the first test flight for the Naval Tejas has just been completed recently. The IN has invested its own money in the development of the aircraft so there is no question of the IN having 'rejected' the aircraft, this is not to say that it might not in the future basis needs vs. capability considerations, as of now however the navy has expressed its interest and confidence in the aircraft. The IN had however rejected the Naval Dhruv (helo) as it was not suitable for its needs.

A fifth Naval Base is being constructed near to the existing base in Vishakapatanam on the east coast, a budget of $350 Million has been allocated for the same.

Twinblade

I thought the navy had rejected the Tejas as unsuitable for their needs?
It has only stated that the current prototype is unsuitable for their needs, the third prototype, NP-3 (with GE-414 engine), would be closer to the specs given by the navy.

I don't really know much about the Naval Tejas but I assume it's a STOBAR aircraft (if not, please feel free to completely ignore me) and if so, then i'm not sure why you would want to do so. I'm under the impression that if the airframe is only currently offered in STOBAR (with no mention of CATOBAR) then I assume there'd need to be major strengthening work on the airframe needed to be done to allow it to cope with the forces it would experience with CATOBAR which adds 2 important things; weight + cost.

IIRC it was the same with Tiffy, that EADS said making it CATOBAR rather than STOBAR would be ludicrously expensive and would add some serious weight penalties so I imagine with Tejas (with the tag of "lightweight") this could be a pretty big problem.
At best IAC-2 would be entering service in mid 2020's, right about the time when AMCA should be entering production (if both of them arrive on schedule). Should in case AMCA is delayed, and IAC-2 is indeed a CATOBAR, there would be only 3 options available at that time as an interim solution. F-35C, Rafale and Super Hornet (leased from USN). Since SH might not be available on lease at that time, procuring a squadron worth of either F-35C or Rafale would set back the exchequer by 2-4 billion maybe ? Compare that to the entire projected cost of naval Tejas program, roughly 37 billion rupees, or $750 million, which covers avionics for navy, airframe and flight characteristics modification, throw in another $150 million for the navy's order for prototypes and LSP's . Even if we double to program cost for modification to STOBAR and cost escalation, it might not be a bad interim solution considering that Indian Navy will already be operating 46 of them. Who knows they might even make a little bit of money peddling it as t-45 replacement.

Twinblade

Anyhow, an update on the coastal surveillance project taken up after Mumbai attacks.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Coastal radar chain to get operationalise

Nearly five years after Mumbai terror attacks brought out the glaring gaps in the coastal security of the country, the first two radars in the chain along the 7,516km-long shoreline will become operationalise in August. Thereafter 44 more radars will become operational bringing every inch of Indian maritime territory under electronic surveillance.

This innermost ring of coastal security, involving operationalisation of about 46 coastal radars in the Phase-I will take another year and then the Phase-II will see the number of radars going up to 110. The shore-based surveillance network will be equipped with radars, cameras and other sensors mounted atop lighthouses. With a range of about 80 miles this chain will boost the electronic surveillance capability of the force – to indentify any rogue ship approaching the Indian coast.

According to sources, the first two radars will be inaugurated by Defence Minister AK Antony in mid-August in Gujarat and Mumbai. The chain of costal radars was first envisaged in 2001 by a Group of Ministers. However, it only got the sense of urgency after 10 armed gunmen landed on the shores of Mumbai undetected and wrecked mayhem.

The coastal radar chain will come at a cost of Rs. 600 crore. The chain will also include the island territories of the country namely – the Andaman and Nicobal Islands and the Lakshadweep Islands. The radars will be feeding in the information to the Joint Operation Centres (JOC) set up in Mumbai, Visakhapatnam, Kochi and Port Blair. The JOC at any point of time will have the real time information about the ships crossing the maritime region around the country along with complete history of the vessel.

Without these radars, the coastal security forces – navy, coast guard and marine police – have been ‘blind’ as depicted by an abandoned ship MV Pavit landing on Mumbai shore in 2011.

Along with this as part of the second layer of electronic maritime surveillance Automated Identification Stations with a range of 150 miles will also be set up. For it to function, transponders will be put on all boats of fishermen. The third and outermost layer consists of satellite-based Long Range Identification and Tracking (LRIT) that can keep an eye on any vessel transcending through waters about 1000 miles from Indian coastline.

These three layers of data will be sent to the National Command, Control, Communication and Intelligence Network that will create real-time maritime domain awareness as it will also be linked to the operations rooms of the Navy and coast guard.
defence eXpress: Coastal radar chain to get operationalise

This coupled with a dozen P8 and MRMR MPA is going to make a very very formidable combination.

Meanwhile the Project 75 Scorpene production is picking up steam.:-

DCNS and SEC Industries achieve another milestone under the Indian Scorpene submarines programme: Inauguration of new workshops & deliveries of indigenous equipment
SEC Industries and DCNS today officially inaugurated new workshop facilities and delivered, after successful Factory Acceptance Tests, the cofferdam doors coamings for the Indian P75* Scorpene submarines. The facilities were inaugurated by Shri M.M. Pallam Raju, the Indian Honbl’e Minister of State for Defence, Government of India. French Ambassador to India, H.E. Mr. François Richier was present at the occasion along with other Indian senior dignitaries and officials.

In September 2011, DCNS India** signed a contract with SEC Industries for the manufacture of for high technological equipment for the P75 Scorpene submarines. A second contract was signed in May 2012 for additional items. These contracts cover an extensive Transfer of Technology (TOT), today running at full speed. The contract is part of the indigenization programme implemented by DCNS India under the P75 Mazagon Purchased Materials (MPM) contracts.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=507

And the first P8I starts testing:-
Indian Navy Boeing P-8I maritime patrol aircraft Begins Flight Test Program
Boeing's first P-8I aircraft for the Indian Navy began its official flight test program July 7, taking off from Boeing Field in Seattle at 9:15 a.m. and landing three hours and 49 minutes later after demonstrating flying qualities and handling characteristics. The flight went as planned with all test objectives met.

The P-8I is one of eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft Boeing is building for India as part of a contract awarded in January 2009. During the coming months, Boeing test pilots will put the P-8I, a Next-Generation 737-800 derivative, through its paces over a U.S. Navy test range west of Neah Bay, Wash., and a joint U.S./Canadian test range in the Strait of Georgia.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=499

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
India

Not good news at all

Construction schedule of the 40,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC), being built at Cochin Shipyard in defence minister AK Antony’s home state, has “slipped another three years” behind the already-revised timelines.

“The fact is IAC will not be ready any time before 2017. In a recent high-level meeting, the Cochin Shipyard was sharply pulled up for this huge delay,” said a defence ministry source.

. . .

India also has a 65,000-tonne IAC-II on the drawing board but the delay in IAC-I has derailed it. The 260-metre-long IAC-I is supposed to carry 12 MiG-29Ks, eight Tejas Light Combat Aircraft and 10 anti-submarine and reconnaissance helicopters on its 2.5-acre flight deck and hangars.
Interesting air group, but doesn't 10 ASW helos seem a bit over the top if they're planning on creating CBGs and so, should have plenty of ASW assets without hobbling (in my opinion) the capability of the carrier with that many helos? I mean I know they're dual-purpose with recce but still, bit OTT isn't it?

swerve

Super Moderator
It's not really news. Every phase of the project has taken far longer than officially predicted. Each failure has been admitted only when it's impossible to hide. One of the early delays was caused by failing to make sure of the availability of the right grade of steel before starting construction. When that was sorted, suddenly it was full steam ahead, & everything would be perfect - until the next unforeseen but easily foreseeable hold-up.

Indian state-owned shipyards exist to employ people, with the building of ships being a secondary consideration - and it shows.

Twinblade

^^ Also, who would have guessed that upscaling the gear box from Shivalik class frigate by a vendor with not too much of an experience, for a ship 7 times its size would be a not so bright idea. Usually the development of a system involves development of subsystems in parallel, in India while developing the subsystems they also have to catch up in technology, which often drives a spanner in the project timeline for every hiccup that they encounter.

swerve

Super Moderator
Indeed.

I'm afraid it's typical of Indian procurement of indigenous, or partly indigenous, weapons. Plenty of ambition, but failure to build the foundations before starting to put up the walls. And sadly, projects are often treated as self-contained, & capabilities painfully built up for them are lost when they end - see Marut & Ajeet.

Cart before horse syndrome. Politicians want something they can see, & aren't interested in the essential but largely invisible (until you want them & they aren't there) technological & industrial underpinnings that make the big projects possible.