Indian Army News and Discussion

Which Attack Helicopter Should Indian Army opt for

• Total voters

dragonfire

2011-02-14 After more than 90 upgrades, an advanced variant of the Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) will undergo serial production in 2014. The tank, Arjun Mark-II, will be equipped with an indigenous engine a year after the start of its serial production to replace its German power plant, Defence Researchand Development Organisation (DRDO) officials told Press Trust of India.

"The advanced Arjun will be equipped with Explosive Reactive Armour and missile-firing capability from its main gun and better night-vision capabilities," they said. The officials said that the gear box of the tank too would be upgraded to improve its performance.

Meanwhile, the DRDO has decided to go ahead with the first phase of the tank's trial in June this year. "The user -- Indian Army -- would be involved in the trial from the phase one itself. The second phase would take place sometime early next year," said the officials. 124 Arjun Mark-I tanks, comprising two regiments, have already been inducted into the Army after being manufactured in Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) in Avadi. The regiments are based in the western sector.
The Mark II Arjun MBT design is finalised ! Havent heard anything to support this, pl provide the link for your input.

Also there was a further order after the Comparison Trials of Arjun and the T-90 Bhishma, the serial production you mentioned in your post is in all probability for the further and current unfulfilled orders. The tank would certainly have a lot of upgrades and technical glitches addressed but it wouldnt be the Mark II variant it would stillbe the Mark I production variant something akin to the LCA in terms of the difference for the Mark I version differences between the aircraft prior to IOC and at the time of the FOC.

The Arjun MBT Mark II was being pushed by the DRDO establishment when the Army stated that for the future they are interested only in a brand new concept the FMBT, which is stil being discussed from a preliminary perspective.

kay_man

The Mark II Arjun MBT design is finalised ! Havent heard anything to support this, pl provide the link for your input.

Also there was a further order after the Comparison Trials of Arjun and the T-90 Bhishma, the serial production you mentioned in your post is in all probability for the further and current unfulfilled orders. The tank would certainly have a lot of upgrades and technical glitches addressed but it wouldnt be the Mark II variant it would stillbe the Mark I production variant something akin to the LCA in terms of the difference for the Mark I version differences between the aircraft prior to IOC and at the time of the FOC.

The Arjun MBT Mark II was being pushed by the DRDO establishment when the Army stated that for the future they are interested only in a brand new concept the FMBT, which is stil being discussed from a preliminary perspective.
There was a follow on order for Arjun after the comparative trials....which brings the total no. ordered to around 248 arjun mk1s.
The specifications and the list of upgrades and new add-ons for the Arjun mk2 was finalized and released long ago and has been posted on this thread also.
The Arjun mk2 and FMBT projects are not competing against each other. They are independent projects and in all probability both will be inducted.....................the FMBT has a slightly longer time frame of development.....so it will probably come into service a little later than the Arjun mk2

dragonfire

There was a follow on order for Arjun after the comparative trials....which brings the total no. ordered to around 248 arjun mk1s.
The specifications and the list of upgrades and new add-ons for the Arjun mk2 was finalized and released long ago and has been posted on this thread also.
The Arjun mk2 and FMBT projects are not competing against each other. They are independent projects and in all probability both will be inducted.....................the FMBT has a slightly longer time frame of development.....so it will probably come into service a little later than the Arjun mk2
There will be a marked difference between the Mark I and Mark II variants of the Arjun MBT. Main areas would be Engine, Sighting and Fire Control Systems including advanced capabilities in fighting off attack choppers. As well as improved protection, communication and networking capabilities

The current orders are only for the improved Mark I variant for which the glitches have been worked out which were there earlier.

The Mark II variant design would evolve a bit more as they are planning to involve the IA from an earlier stage itself unlike what happened with the Mark I variant.

kay_man

Question

Some days back i read an article about the Arjun Mk2 which says DRDO is developing futuristic technologies like Automatic target tracking, detection avoidance systems to be incorporated into the Arjun tank.

I understand what auto target tracking means but what do they mean by ' Detection Avoidance systems'.........................can any one shed some light on this.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe something like sensors which respond to lasers and/or automatically inform the TC about it, slew the turret onto the direction of the laser beam and fire IR-smoke grenades.

But this, just like autotracking systems..., is hardly a futuristic technology.

Rythm

Maybe its futuristic for india ;)

No disrespect intended to our indian readers, you have an interesting military.

T.C.P

I think its more like Futuristic to the Indian Defence industry rather than the military, they have never developed systems like this before.

kay_man

arjun mk2 by 2013

Arjun Tank Production lines may be idle for approx 30 months

By P. Chacko Joseph | February 23rd, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonfire

Some days back i read an article about the Arjun Mk2 which says DRDO is developing futuristic technologies like Automatic target tracking, detection avoidance systems to be incorporated into the Arjun tank.

I understand what auto target tracking means but what do they mean by ' Detection Avoidance systems'.........................can any one shed some light on this.
Maybe something like sensors which respond to lasers and/or automatically inform the TC about it, slew the turret onto the direction of the laser beam and fire IR-smoke grenades.

But this, just like autotracking systems..., is hardly a futuristic technology.

I think its more like Futuristic to the Indian Defence industry rather than the military, they have never developed systems like this before.
@ Waylander: The question was about Detection Avoidance Systems, even with my limited knowledge about armour I understand that the Aerosol Smoke Grenade Launchers are a protection / countermeasure system, which gets activated when a targeting/attack is detected so as to protect the vehicle and its crew. Whereas a Detection Avoidance System should be something that prevents detection or minimises the chances for detection.

Currently Indian Army already utilises Aerosol Smoke Grenade Launchers on its T-90 Bhishma, T-72 Ajeya and the Arjun MBT, having developed this capability inhouse since the T-72 production days.

@ Kay Man from the wiki page on the Arjun
A Mobile Camouflage System has been developed and integrated into the Arjun as part of the 'Development of Defensive Aids System' project.[29] in collaboration with Barracuda Camouflage Limited,to reduce the vehicle signature against all known sensors and smart munitions.
An Advanced Laser Warning Countermeasure System (ALWCS) for the fire control system has been developed. This consists of a laser warning system, Infra-Red (IR) jammer and aerosol smoke grenade system. This is being developed jointly with Elbit Systems Limited of Israel. The ALWCS has been integrated on Arjun MBT and trials have been carried out

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ok, than it is a language problem of me. I thought they meant something like the laser warning/IR-smoke combo..

Nevertheless if Barracuda nets are the new detection avoidance system I won't argue that.
It's a good system and has the nice side effect of keeping the vehicle interior cool.

idiana

I wish the Indian Defense owns far more AH - 64A/D, because the Chinese recently harassed the northern border of India so much, like they did now to Senkaku islands of Japan.

shag

barracuda nets have already been deployed on some arjun mk1s AFAIK. I remember seeing a few pics with it. I am not sure thats what the drdo guy is talking about wrt new stuff for mk2.

ItsEden

I Have Heard That Israelis Have Integrated A Missile Named "lahat" As One Of The Weapons Of Arjun Any Idea??
LAHAT (Laser Homing Attack or Laser Homing Anti-Tank, also a Hebrew word for incandescence) is a semi-active laser homing low-weight anti-tank guided missile developed since 1992 and manufactured by Israel Aerospace Industries. It was designed primarily to be fired by Merkava tanks' 105 mm and 120 mm tank guns, though it matches all types of 105 mm and 120 mm guns, including low recoil guns, low-weight guns of military armoured cars. Also suitable for patrol ships, possibly modified for 105-106 mm recoilless rifles, UAVs, HMMWVs, SPAAGs. Unlike other tank rounds, LAHAT does not need a tank gun for operation.
LAHAT has a semi-active laser guidance system, capable of both direct and indirect laser designation - target can be laser-designated by the launching platform (i.e firing tank) or other platform (i.e another tank, helicopter, UAV, or forward scouting team), requiring minimal exposure in the firing position. With a low launch signature, the missile’s trajectory can be set to match either armoured fighting vehicle, warship, (top attack) or helicopter gunship (direct attack) engagements.
It has a range of 6-8 km when launched from a ground platform, and up to 8-13 km, when deployed from high elevation. The missile hits the target at an accuracy of 0.7 meter CEP and an angle of over 30 degrees, providing effective penetration of up to 800 mm of armor steel with its tandem warhead to deal with add-on reactive armor. LAHAT might also carry embedded active protection system countermeasure capabilities. In any tank the LAHAT is stowed like other rounds in the ammunition rack, and handled just like any other type of ammunition.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ItsEden, it is not necessary to answer a 6 year old question, much less doing that with a copy/paste job from Wikipedia without labeling it as such.

kay_man

New assault rifle developed by India to replace INSAS.

Tiruchi ordnance factory develops new assault rifle - Times Of India

I thought India was going for license manufacture of the Ak-103?
I have seen the pics of the gun. Looks like a hybrid of Fn Fal and Ak-47 with 7.62 calibre. Nothing very revolutionary about the gun..........it may replace the Ak series in service with Indian army but i dont think it will be able to replace the Tavor and TAR riffles being used by special forces.
India should R&D on new calibre ammo and gun customised for Indian forces.

kay_man

Is India going to use the Ak-103 as a standard issue rifle?
No,
The standard issue rifle will probably be the earlier mentioned tiruchi rifle or a variant / improvement of the INSAS rifle. the special forces will stick with the TAR-21 or TAVOR rifles. I dont think the AK-103 will be in use widely.