Indian Air Force, Cracking Under Media Pressure -Indian newspaper article

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
THE NEWS IS that the Indian Air Force is cracking under pressure. Not from an enemy, but from an ever inquisitive media. First, it was the regular MiG-21 crashes which earned the aircraft the sobriquet of "flying coffins", courtesy the media. So much so, that Defence Minister George Fernandes had to take a flight himself in the aircraft to inform the media that it was uninformed.

However, the respite turned out to be brief. Just when the IAF was celebrating the coming of Hawks, which would improve the training of young pilots, news broke that things were wrong with the SU-30 aircraft. The Hindu reported of excessive nicks in the engine blades. This meant a material defect, and a need to change the blades regularly as they would otherwise put an unwanted strain on the compressor. Another newspaper spoke of defects in the engines. The Air Force, of course, denied all this. What, however, it could not keep under wraps was that the Air Force Chief himself was stressed and under pressure.

This was more than evident when the Force team arrived at the Air Headquarters at the appointed hour on Monday to interview the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal S Krishnaswamy. In line with the services' protocol, the questionnaire was sent well in advance for the information of the Air Force Chief. Strangely, his staff could not reach their boss before we did. We, however, gave our copy of the questionnaire to the ACM for last minute reading. As he read the questions (which obviously dealt with the SU-30), we prepared for an extensive interview.

The ACM obviously had other ideas. Muttering under his breath, he threw the questionnaire on the table. He could not answer illiterate questions, he said, adding that the media was cynical and could see no good in the Air Force. His stern demeanor indicated that the interview was over before it started. There was silence in the room. Within minutes, we composed ourselves and started putting away our stuff to leave when suddenly the Air Force Chief had a change of mind.

For the next 40 minutes or so, he spoke on a range of issues concerning the Air Force. What troubled us was why media enquiries about the SU-30 aircraft had visibly upset him. The media, after all, has a right to ask in order to inform the taxpayers how their money has been spent. Moreover, the SU-30 aircraft deal has been an unusual one, its purchase was both sudden and unexpected.

The Sukhoi offer has a history. The SU-27 was offered in 1991. In December 1993, the latest versions were offered for evaluation in India, but the IAF showed little interest. A few months before India suddenly bought these aircraft in early 1995, a modified export version of SU-27PU, designated SU-30MK was offered, but the IAF again showed no keenness since its priorities were the Advanced Jet Trainers and MiG-21 upgrades. This writer, therefore, spoke with the former Air Force Chief, Air Chief Marshal SK Kaul, the man who cleared the SU-30 deal for the IAF, to know why this aircraft was suddenly found acceptable.

According to ACM Kaul, the initial deal was for a total of 40 SU-30s only. Eight SU-30K were to be procured immediately, and 32 aircrafts were to be the 'MKI' version. The latter was still under development, and unlike the 'K' version (an air defence aircraft), the 'MKI' is a multi-role aircraft. The need for 'K' version was to familiarize pilots with the aircraft, so that the transition to the heavier and sophisticated 'MKI' version would be smoother.

The 'K' version is about 29 tonne as compared with the 36 tonne SU-30MKI. The reasons, according to ACM Kaul, which settled the deal in favor of SU-30 over the Mirage-2000 (India has two squadrons of this multi-role French aircraft) were costs and capabilities. Each Mirage-2000 was costing Rs 140 crore against Rs 100 crore for SU-30. Moreover, the SU-30 has more range, payload and stand-off weapons than Mirage-2000.

ACM Kaul, who has been Air Advisor in the Indian Embassy in Moscow in 1980s, however, conceded: "The Soviets, and the follow-on Russians are weak in materials and their engines do not last as long as those made in the Western countries." Strangely, the initial deal was reworked to help the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited as well. Instead of two squadrons, it was decided that 100 additional SU-30MKI aircraft would be produced in India by HAL. ACM Kaul said that as nothing less than eight to ten squadrons would have made the setting up of the SU-30 aircraft production line at HAL cost-effective, the Government got the IAF to raise its SU-30 requirement.

However, the current Air Force Chief gave a different story. According to ACM Krishnaswamy, the original SU-30 deal was for 50 aircraft, eight 'K' versions and 42 'MKI' version, which has vector thrust technology, something the US does not have. Meanwhile, there were intense deliberations for nearly a year between India and Russia about what avionics, weapon loads and so on India wanted on the 'MKI' version. Once these were decided India started getting the 'MKI' version from Russia. "There were no plans to acquire more Mirage-2000," he said.

The plans for the remaining 140 (and not 100 as told by ACM Kaul) SU-30MKI which are to be made at HAL are evolving. Considering that technology is growing each day, India does not want to produce the same SU-30MKIs. In close consultation with the Russians, it is looking at improving the SU-30MKIs. Improving should not be confused with up gradation.

The latter essentially means that some parts of the aircraft are taken out and replaced by new and better ones. On the other hand, improving an aircraft implies that changes are brought about on the production line itself. For example, according to ACM Krishnaswamy, India is good at composite technology, which would suggest that future aircraft could be lighter and hence carry more pay load, and their reliability would enhance. These are the things India is discussing with the Russians and they are being very cooperative, the ACM said.

Regarding the recent problems in SU-30 as suggested by the media, the Air Force Chief said the aircraft were perfectly fine. "There are no problems and the SU-30 is a good aircraft." But why should the media fabricate things? "There are vested interests that are unhappy with the deal. I cannot name them," he muttered. Be that as it may, the issue is that instead of transparency and more openness with the media, why is the IAF unnerved by reports on the SU-30? Are there some skeletons in the cupboard that it wants to hide?

by Pravin Sawhney. The writer is the editor of newsmagazine, Force

www.satribune.com/archive...on_iaf.htm

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I have always had difficulty with is that the engines are primarily the constant weak maintenance point with Russian aircraft.

Why doesn't someone either rebuild these engines from the ground up with quality components and ISO rated processes, or failing that install western engines?

The thrust to weight of Russian engines has always been exceptional, I just fail to understand why they persist in not finessing their work and design processes. Perhaps this is why the Russians are developing closer links with Israeli companies. Its more or less recognised in the west that an SU-3x using Israeli electronics is one of the/if not the most formidable fighter to encounter. Installing a rolls-royce, GE or P&W would be an interesting combo.

The SU-3x are still a benchmark design, but they mess it up by appalling QA probs.

A

Aussie Digger

Part of the problem about upgrading or rebuilding Russian Engines may be Gf, that Russia has great problems in ensuring it's intellectual property in it's designs. The general problems with Russian equipment is well known despite the (generally) excellent initial designs. The upgrade market for Russian equipment seems to favour Israeli, French or South African systems over Russian ones. The Russians of course aren't happy about this and often threaten legal action. This has been particularly evident with Mil-Mi 24 Hind gunship upgrades. I've read about numerous countries (Poland, Czeck Republic, Bulgaria etc) wishing to upgrade these aircraft with Israeli or French systems in favour of Russian equipment. The Russias have threatened legal action to try and protect their investment ( and economy...) over this. A country that upgraded the Russian aircraft with a western engine may find itself in Court...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A-D, thats true, but the Russians are getting more involved with the Israelis on electronics upgrades, I guess they are determining that there is better opportunity working together than losing market opportunity.

A

Aussie Digger

I agree completely Gf, while I'm no expert on International Law, I have studied Law a bit and I really fail to see how Russia could possibly expect a court to uphold their claim that because they built a particular platform, they are therefore entitled to maintain and upgrade any of the platforms they built. Once they sell I should think that a country possesses the right to upgrade it however they like, reverse engineering etc is of course a different matter, but I've read that the Russians have objected to any upgrades conducted by anyone else without their involvement, seems like a case of sour grapes to me...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
I agree completely Gf, while I'm no expert on International Law, I have studied Law a bit and I really fail to see how Russia could possibly expect a court to uphold their claim that because they built a particular platform, they are therefore entitled to maintain and upgrade any of the platforms they built. Once they sell I should think that a country possesses the right to upgrade it however they like, reverse engineering etc is of course a different matter, but I've read that the Russians have objected to any upgrades conducted by anyone else without their involvement, seems like a case of sour grapes to me...
Its a bit hard for them to pursue on IP issues when they haven't pursued on things like the cloned AK's etc.. So, any lawyer would probably argue that its a pernicious pursuit - as there has been no consistency of intent displayed with other Russian equipment.

A

Aussie Digger

It's probably more of an implied threat than anything else...