Implications of Scottish Independence

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm sure an independent Scotland could join the EU - where the sticking point is, is that the SNP are saying "but we're already *in* the EU and we're not leaving" in effect - such that they'd simply move from the UK to independence and carry on in the same standing in the EU. I believe most other opinions are centred around the concept that as a newly independent country, they'd have to go through the same entry process that everyone else did (and the UK was vetoed by France on at least one occasion I seem to recall) That'd take time and I guess that'd be unpopular with the voters.

It's an astonishing display of very odd behaviour.
Populist leaders often tend to be odd, out of touch with reality and flexible with the truth. Then again some very un-popular leaders are too, so I suppose it is a lose, lose situation

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
[quoteI'm sure an independent Scotland could join the EU - where the sticking point is, is that the SNP are saying "but we're already *in* the EU and we're not leaving" in effect - such that they'd simply move from the UK to independence and carry on in the same standing in the EU.

Read more: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/g...cottish-independence-11811-14/#ixzz2udNhthEm][/quote]

This reminds me of how the Parti Québécois tried to sell the idea a separated Quebec would automatically be part of NAFTA. Can anyone doubt the concessions Mexico and the US would demand from a separated Quebec to entry? I can, the fools in the Parti Quebecois and those who vote for them. I guess the SNP read the PQ's playbook.

Phd8511

Banned Member
the big issue to me

Is how each side will negotiate for personnel and hardware in the event of a majority "yes" vote. Will they force all Scots in the British Armed Forces to move over? So far the message is no. How much of the existing and future hardware will be provided to the SDF? Not worked out. No contigency plan by the MOD, no firm details by the SNP.

And on currency, how will a pound/Euro/Scottish currency work with the purchase of personnel and hardware, not just for defence but internal and external security?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Is how each side will negotiate for personnel and hardware in the event of a majority "yes" vote. Will they force all Scots in the British Armed Forces to move over? So far the message is no. How much of the existing and future hardware will be provided to the SDF? Not worked out. No contigency plan by the MOD, no firm details by the SNP.

And on currency, how will a pound/Euro/Scottish currency work with the purchase of personnel and hardware, not just for defence but internal and external security?
An independent Scotland has three currency choices, the Euro, the Pound, or their own. The former two are hardly independent and would come with demanding conditions. The last choice would resemble the Greek Drachma, if they left the EU, great for exporting totally Scottish goods but not so much for importing foreign goods requiring $,€,¥ or whatever.