ICCALS catapult system concept

colay

Launch-Systems.com - Home

The Navy will implement the EMALS on the new Ford-class carrier replacing the steam catapults used on previous CV/CVN platforms. EMALS offers the flexibility to dial-in the necessary force to launch heavier aircraft while providing reducing stress on aircraft, an advantage when launcching less robust UAVs.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that EMALS can be retrofitted to the legacy Nimitz fleet. These ships don't generate enough electricty required for EMALS operation.

The Navy had originally intended to develop and test a catapult launch system called the Internal Combustion Catapult Launch System (ICCALS) to compete with EMALS. ICCALS is claimed to offer all the advantages of EMALS and can be readily retrofitted to thr Nimitz CVNs. Essentially, it uses jet fuel in combination with an oxidizer to generate the energy neede to launch aircraft. A mere 25lbs. of JP-5 jet fuel with oxidizer will be sufficient to propel a 70,000lb aircraft at 170kts according to its proponents.

On the negative side of the ledger, I can see how storing large amounts of explosive oxidizer on a carrier which will be the primary target in any enemy attack would cause serious concern. Maybe some way could be devised to mitigate this risk.

Assuming the technology can be made to.work though, it would seem to offer a way to enhance the effectiveness of the Nimitz fleet. It could also make CATOBAR operations feasible on smaller, less expensive carriers.

swerve

Super Moderator
This looks like a revival of an old idea, from before steam catapults, though they didn't use jet fuel, just powder charges. I think navies were quite relieved when steam catapults proved satisfactory.

tagger21

This looks like a revival of an old idea, from before steam catapults, though they didn't use jet fuel, just powder charges. I think navies were quite relieved when steam catapults proved satisfactory.
It is a old idea but brought up to date, from what i can find out is being considered again, with safer fuels jp5 and enriched air. It actually uses a steam catapult with the combustion unit producing the steam, the difference is its more controllable and more powerful.