Hypersonic Developments

Boagrius

AFAIK most surface to air missiles like PAC-3, SM-6, THAAD, S-400 are already hypersonic.
Correct, although in contemporary parlance any reference to "hypersonics research" typically refers to emerging technologies like Hypersonic Glide Vehicles (HGV's), Anti-Ship Ballistic Missiles (ASBMs), EM railguns and - in this case - scram-jet powered Hypersonic Cruise Missiles (HCMs).

cdxbow

Hypersonix had reportedly earlier been linked to Kratos the US drone maker and now is attracting the attention of the US defence industry. The proposed Hypersonic craft, the Dart uses a scram jet, is claimed to be simple to build, with some parts 3D printed with Inconel. It is designed to be a clean satellite launch system. It's still a 3 stage system, rocket booster to Mach 5, Dart then goes to Mach 20 then releases a third stage and payload to achieve orbital velocity.

Australia gives US hypersonics a much-needed boost - Asia Times

Anything that goes that fast enough can be adapted to be a weapon or weapon delivery system. I really don't know how much meat there is to the claims in the article, however I've written this company off in the past as 'a grifter with a nice web site' and I won't do that again.

the concerned

Theoretically if you could air launch a Sm-3 could it catch a hypersonic missile. The aircraft I am thinking is externally from a B1

cdxbow

Jane's has also has an article about the Hypersonix project, with a little more detail. Dart CMP is a demonstrator/experiential platform to look mainly at material issues - Australia's hypersonic UAV project to boost advanced materials (janes.com) Notice it's no longer framed as a launch vehicle for satellites, rather now as a 'hypersonic UAV' with a maximum speed of Mach 12. A small version of the proposed launch vehicle would make a powerful hypersonic missile itself, the larger launch vehicle could be a hypersonic 'bomber'. Dual use tech, don't you love it.

Last edited:

vonnoobie

What I like is the simplicity relatively speaking and the ease again relatively speaking of manufacturing if it is as they say. Does no good having such a capability if it's complicated, costly and time consuming just to get a single missile that may or may not work but If we can cut the time, cost and improve the real world operation of it well then it's potentially a good asset to acquire (after all the R&D etc).

cdxbow

What I like is the simplicity relatively speaking and the ease again relatively speaking of manufacturing if it is as they say. Does no good having such a capability if it's complicated, costly and time consuming just to get a single missile that may or may not work but If we can cut the time, cost and improve the real world operation of it well then it's potentially a good asset to acquire (after all the R&D etc).
Yes, in terms of the vehicle the simplicity is it's beauty. Sounds like there is still a lot to sort out wrt materials and the hull, which seems to be the reason for the Dart CMP. I really think the company will find a more funding as a 'hypersonic drone' than as a launch vehicle, small step then to hypersonic missile. Pretty neat 3D printing the engine with Inconel. This is no longer an exotic technique and is used commonly now for parts needing high strength and temperature résistance. Expensive still, $330 USD per 200cc powder. Inconel - 3D Print Functional Prototypes and End-Use Parts (markforged.com)

vonnoobie

Yes, in terms of the vehicle the simplicity is it's beauty. Sounds like there is still a lot to sort out wrt materials and the hull, which seems to be the reason for the Dart CMP. I really think the company will find a more funding as a 'hypersonic drone' than as a launch vehicle, small step then to hypersonic missile. Pretty neat 3D printing the engine with Inconel. This is no longer an exotic technique and is used commonly now for parts needing high strength and temperature résistance. Expensive still, $330 USD per 200cc powder. Inconel - 3D Print Functional Prototypes and End-Use Parts (markforged.com)
It is costly don't doubt that but found it cheaper to bulk buy IN625 Inconel 625 Nickle Based Metal Powder for Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing)
100kg+ at $130/kg works out to $219.50 per 200cc when you do the math.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
German Space Agency spinoff company Polaris Raumflugzeuge has joined the NATO STO working group "hypersonic aircraft" as coordinator for this new group. Sounds like more than it is. The STO working groups are basically research groups addressing typically certain clusters of issues, and there have been dozens such working groups with regard to hypersonic systems over the last 15-20 years at STO. Usually their titles tend to be less generic than in this case though.

The company is currently under contract to develop a demonstrator for a long-range, large hypersonic reconnaissance drone for the German military with planned first flights end of the year.

Subsequently to joining that working group, Polaris just removed all subpages regarding technology, roadmap or business plans from its website. Which is somewhat "odd" and likely somewhat related, given their website is mostly intended to attract third-party funding.

Salinger

Japan's Ministry of Defense researches hypersonic missile JAXA conducts engine tests
On July 24, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) conducted the first flight test of an engine that could reach the speed needed for the missile. Funded by the Acquisition and Logistics Agency, the company hopes to apply its research to hypersonic missile applications.