How would a country safely deploy a gas to protect itself from invaders?

orangesky6

I have looked into the Balkans conflicts of the 1990s, and I learned that FR Yugoslavia's leadership had planned to use sarin gas should NATO decide to switch from air raids to ground troops.

Is this a situation where all citizens go under in bunkers and city streets are flooded with sarin, or do they only intend to use it at the borders? Wouldn't the wind take such large amounts everywhere?

I'm obviously not a pro here, apologize for the (I assume) silly question.

Source: Spies battle for skies over Belgrade

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have looked into the Balkans conflicts of the 1990s, and I learned that FR Yugoslavia's leadership had planned to use sarin gas should NATO decide to switch from air raids to ground troops.

Is this a situation where all citizens go under in bunkers and city streets are flooded with sarin, or do they only intend to use it at the borders? Wouldn't the wind take such large amounts everywhere?

I'm obviously not a pro here, apologize for the (I assume) silly question.

EDIT: Title is "How would a safely deploy gas to protect itself from invaders?" but should be "How would a country..." etc
Welcome to the Forum. Please take time to read the rules. Not necessarily a silly question given that chemical agents are classified as a weapon of mass destruction. Regarding your claim that the sarin gas was going to be used if NATO ground forces were to be involved, could you please provide a reliable source for that information.

orangesky6

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the Forum. Please take time to read the rules. Not necessarily a silly question given that chemical agents are classified as a weapon of mass destruction. Regarding your claim that the sarin gas was going to be used if NATO ground forces were to be involved, could you please provide a reliable source for that information.
Thank you. I will add the source.

STURM

From open sources we know that Serbia eventually gave in because NATO strikes were causing immense military and economic damage, because it feared a ground invasion and because of strong pressure from its main ally, Russia. What we don't know is whether Milosevic would really have used gas and whether the army would have gone along with it; knowing the consequences. The main value of WMDs [whether nukes, sarin or anthrax] is as a deterrent; if indeed NATO decided against a land invasion due to fears of the use of gas by Serbia; the deterrent effect worked. Until more info is released, we really can't say for certain if it was the fear of invasion and other factors that led to the Serbs giving in or NATO being deterred by the possible use of gas by Serbia. We can safely assume that if indeed Serbia was serious in using gas; Russia would have applied all its - considerable - influence to prevent it.