How important is Israel politically/geographicaly to the U.S??

Status
Not open for further replies.

STURM

what is the position of the UN Security council and how they came to draft it (and when it was passed by the security council]
It was passed in 1967 and drafted by a Brit diplomat. In short, 243 calls for : Israel to vacate land gained in the 67 war and termination of all acts of aggression by all sides and the recognition of the territorial sovereignty and independance of all the states involved in the 67 war.

During the Clinton administration, the U.S. mantained that the territory gained by Israel in 67 could not be classified as occupied Palestinia territory and would be the basis of future negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians.

If not you are engaging in a manner that is very one sided. Further, when did the Palestinians accept UN Resolution 242 and how do they understand it?
The Palestinians accepted 242 only in 1987. The Arabs states involved accepted it in stages over the years. Part of the delay by the Arabs in accepting 242 was because it was a bit ambigous with regards to thefinal status of the occupied territory. To cope with the reality of the situation some of the unrealistic demands that were a stumbling block to accepting 242 were dropped or tonedown. In contrast to their previous stance, the Arabs have accepted that not all the territory lost in 67 will be returned and the right of refugees to returned will have to be dropped.

As for the Israelis there was a period in the past when they refused to have any dealings with the Palestinians in the hope that the problem would go way and that the Palestinians would be absorbed by Arabs states, namely Lebonan, Jordan and Syria. A famous/infamous quote was by Gold Meir - ''the Palestinians don't exist'', a quote she later told Arafat's biographer Alan Hart, was a mistake.

The reason why I'm asking is because I want to understand your perspective and without sufficient details,
My take on UN Resolution 242 is though it still leaves a number of issues unresolved, it still provides the best basis on forming a lasting peace agreement that is acceptable to all sides. Like most people, I believe the Palestinians will have to do better in convincing the Israelis that they can sort their affairs out and be a responsible partner and neighbour which can hold its end of the bargain. On the other hand, as a long time Middle East based journalist said, " Israel has to ultimately choose whether its wants peace or land, it can't have both''.

P.S. An excellent work on the Middle East which IMO the author is equally critical to both sides is ''The War For Civilisation'' - Robert Fisk.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGC_hHii1jo"]YouTube- PLO: History of a Revolution - Episode 1 - 13 Jul 09[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzNWCltcqdo"]YouTube- Dining with terrorists - Fighting occupation-28 Feb 09-Pt 1[/ame]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdnoqGCteA"]YouTube- HARDtalk with Danny Yatom[/nomedia]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggo4nTG9BAY"]YouTube- Inside Story - Obama's Middle East policy - Nov 10 - Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdXAhGeziAM"]YouTube- Fisk: The Arab world would like democracy[/ame]

Last edited:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Supporting Israel within the Cold War context made sense, however those Arab states that took support from the Soviets had no qualms about switching to the Americans. Today, with no USSR, the preponderance of arms comes to the region from the US; 53% of arms in the region comes from the US as opposed to 7% from Russia. http://books.sipri.org/files/misc/SIPRIBP0907.pdf

So what does all this mean? Does the US give too much aid to Israel? Probably, in my view. Is Israel that important to the US in the region? Not as important as some Israelis think they are. Can the US force a nuclear-armed Israel to modify its state behavior? Not without some difficulty. There are more important allies in the region that the US should/could cultivate yet the Israel/US relationship can be a hindrance in this regard, though there are domestic pressures that force US policy-makers to continue the relationship.
Very much agree with everything you have written. As an outsider (Aussie) looking at the relationship between the US and Israel, I see it as being very one way - and to boot the Israeli's don't even seem to be a grateful or gracious recipient of the aid and support.

Nobody would deny that the Jews as a people survived a horrific period with the attempted genocide of 6 million jews at the hands of the Nazi's. Nobody also would deny that various organisations and countries basically turned their back on the jews and have much to answer for (although no doubt this will be hotly debated with much finger pointing - something I won't do - that argument is a bottomless pit), however that does not mean that all Germans should pay for the sins of earlier generations in perpetuity, nor does it mean that the Jews can trade on the worldwide guilt/sorrow trip that earlier generations were perhaps entitled to. Today's generations need to answer for today's activities. If the Israeli leadership believes that it can get away with treating their neighbours inhumanly, and stomping around with big boots on because they have the US backing them I think that they will find themselves without a friend very quickly indeed. Or at least, that's what you'd think would happen - but strangely hasn't.

The Israeli alliance has basically just meant that the US and its allies have been exposed to the fleas that infest Israel. Would 911 have even occurred if there were such close links between Israel and the US? Would Al Queda have become as powerful, would the Indonesian offshoots even have existed without 911 or the US whould there have been the three bombings in Indonesia that have taken hundreds of lives?

It's time for the Israeli's to realise that not everything can be on their terms - time for the Palestinians to receive their own land, time for all countries to recognise Israel. Basically - this festering sore that is the middle east is affecting all the people of this planet - it needs to stop.

STURM

Would 911 have even occurred if there were such close links between Israel and the US? Would Al Queda have become as powerful, would the Indonesian offshoots even have existed without 911 or the US whould there have been the three bombings in Indonesia that have taken hundreds of lives? .
I think it's not so much the close links but what many see as almost unconditional support for Israel that is the root cause for a lot of problems the U.S. has with the Muslim world.
Another reason is what they perceive as U.S. backing for many undemocratic, repressive regimes in the Middle East. For historical and political reasons, Arab countries accept that the U.S. will have a special relationship with Israel, what they can't accept is that this relationship has prevented the U.S. from being an impartial broker or partner in the peace process. On the other hand despite this unhappiness from the Muslim world due to U.S. policies, it's thanks to the U.S. that states like Bosnia and Kosovo are independent today.

I find it ironic that the U.S. was a bit hesistant at first in recognising Israel back in 48, with the Soviet Union being one of the first to officially recognise the state of Israel.

Last edited:

AEWHistory

Agreed, to a point. It may have been substantiated, but if it has, depending on how, it might never be released to the public, making it a bit hard to prove anything one way or the other. However the actions of the British and Australian governments make Israeli involvement more likely then the possibility that they were not involved.
Hi Stephen,

My apologies for the slow reply. I'm currently waging my own personal battle against a cold virus, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Yes, I agree that this information might never be released, although to be fair a far more likely scenario would be it remaining 'classified' for some annoyingly long time and then some historian digs it up years or decades later to write something that has admittedly little bearing on what would then be the current state of world affairs. Wow, I think that's a damning indictment of my profession.... :confused:

But seriously, my main point has been, and perhaps not well made given my own passions, that it seems that people have jumped the gun--given what we know. You are quite right that sources in government may know more, and given the responses I actually hope that you are correct, but there are things that still bother me.

Consider this: whenever the Israelis have struck at a Palestinian terrorist/militant/nationalist group, those groups have rarely, if ever, failed to strike back. In part, this is what has led to the critique that targeted killings are not only ethically ambiguous, they're not working. Personally, I don't know, but I tend to agree. But this time, nothing has happened! Over the past six weeks or so the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel as been quiet. There was a fire-fight the other day, and a few missiles might have been launched--I don't keep track--but this isn't much of a response. Now you're got to admit that groups like Hamas and Hizbullah are not likely to give Israel and Mossad the 'Benefit of the Doubt' and yet that seems to be what they're doing. That's really surprised me, and seems like a strong indication that they don't know who to lash out at.

As I've been saying, this isn't proof either, it is merely my own analysis, but I do have to ask why it is that the UK, for instance, has lent greater credence to the UAE's claims than Hamas has? Isn't that weird?

Bit far for me to visit and i'm currently being a poor university student. :D

Out of curiosity, which area of 19th century military history do you focus on the most? I'm guessing either US-UK or UK-France?
Ah yes, the life of a poor university student. Been there. I ate Raman noodles for..... well, I never stopped actually, I actually like them. My wife thinks I'm a loon. What do you study?

As for me, I started as a Napoleonic historian and that is my first love or passion in history. The problem is that academia in the USA--and abroad I'm led to believe--looks down upon putting too much emphasis on 'great dead white men.' Consequently, the job market in Napoleonic history is about as lively as Napoleon himself.... :(

So over the course of the late-90s I started to refocus my energies and you actually just about hit it. I refashioned myself as a Western Military Historian concentrating actually French and American military history, but the intersection as you guessed it is the UK (and of the three is my weakest knowledge area by far). Basically, my MA thesis and dissertation focuses on American (under Jefferson and then Madison) attempts to construct a system of political and military deterrents during the Napoleonic Wars to preserve our commercial and political interests. These failures led to the War of 1812, but I've also argued that Madison's attempts at the start of the war were actually a glorified bluff. The problem with bluffing, as any good poker player will tell you however, is what to do if you're called..... I'll leave that for another discussion.

So anyway, I've mixed traditional military history with more current issues involving cultural identity (why do we fight?), foreign relations, etc. It is better for my career and has made me a much better historian, but I ran into some health problems a few years back, so I've had to stick to just teaching for the time being. C'est la vie...

Sure there is biase, however the British and Australian governments would receive no benefits from undermining Israel if they didn't have proof, especially if another party was later found to be to blame.

Regards,
Stephen
I'll just make one last comment here and that while I partly agree, partly disagree with what you're saying here, what you're not figuring is good old fashioned screw ups. You are assuming that these reactions have been thought through in a logical, complete, mechanistic manner. Here's the problem: not only do we all make mistakes--for instance, I could be dead wrong about all of this--some make simply horrendous world changing, bone headed, stupid, knee jerk decisions. And alot of the folks who would make these decisions have more power than you or I.... think Stalin's decision not to listen to any of the warnings that the Germans were coming leading up to Barbarossa, Neville Chamberlain (from birth? just kidding), and you get the idea.

All the best,
Aaron/AEWHistory

AEWHistory

I asked that you read my previous post on the subject, appearing in this thread. It appears that you didn't since it answered some of the questions that you posed--before you even asked I might add--so it isn't accurate to say that neither I, nor anyone else, has provided a rebuttal. Here is a C&P of what I wrote (I'll place this in italics):

"The USA funds Egypt, Israel, and Jordan, and supports the Saudis and Gulf States in other quite expensive ways. Yet when the USA needed a place to host a new radar system in the Middle East, every single Arab state turned us down; the Israelis are hosting the system. Now this system is run by and controlled by Americans, and the Israeli defense establishment has already said that this could undermine Israeli security, as they aren't entitled to any information from this installation that the Americans don't want them to have as all this information could be used both by the USA, other American allies, or even leaked to American and Israeli enemies theoretically. This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, the Israel has taken security risks in aid of the USA.

Additionally, in both Persian Gulf wars the USA was a major beneficiary of Israeli doctrines in dealing with Arab/Iraqi forces. Like all armed forces, Israel has learned these lessons, and developed and honed these doctrines while the blood of its own people have been spilled. This is why most nations are covetous of obtaining doctrinal information. In both wars the Israelis trained Americans, helping to minimize our casualties. This has been undeniably valuable in this most recent war where Israeli urban warfare doctrine--certainly the most advanced in the world--has saved countless American lives. Speaking to American officers back when I was still doing my PhD program, this shared knowledge helped to reduce our learning curve; the American Army would have developed equally good doctrines, but only after months or years of bloody mistakes.

These are some of the reasons why we have supported Israel. Democracy, Ideology, a common bond, these are all fine and dandy, but I submit that these pale next to the pain of having to tell some parent or spouse that their loved one is dead.... but hey, on the bright side we don't have to fund those Israelis any more!"

Now these are merely a few examples, and no, this speaks nothing of the quid pro quo during the Cold War. It could be argued, admittedly subjectively, that the assistance Israel provided during the Cold War has been of far greater value than all the economic and military aid that Israel has ever received from the USA. Cases in point:
1. Passing on state of the art Soviet weaponry to US agents (eg- MiG-21, tanks, artillery, radar equipment, etc.)
2. Passing on intelligence gathered by Mossad (eg-operations in Iran, Iraq, etc.)
3. The air-doctrines developed in 1973 to overcome Soviet air defenses. Subsequently perfected in 1982, ex-Soviet advisors have gone on record as citing this as one of the major reasons why they threw in the towel. In effect, they're entire strategy for controlling their airspace was built around SAM systems. Once Israel had beaten this system and passed on these findings to the USAF, they knew they were finished.

As I've written before, in other forums, it was Israeli intelligence more than our own that allowed us to determine how far ahead American arms really were in some areas and allowed the USA to focus on either catching up in areas where the USSR had small leads or was neck and neck. This both saved the USA billions of dollars (hundreds of billions to be more precise), and allowed us to bring the Cold War to a more rapid, less costly conclusion. If you tally up all the assistance that Israel has ever received from the USA versus the money that the USA would have spent had we and Israel not aligned, and passed up on things like Israeli intelligence, the USA is to the good somewhere around US$200billion, and probably way more.

Has Israel benefited? Damn straight! What the hell is a quid pro quo if it doesn't go both ways. But you seem to forget that the only reason for the existence of any government... the ONLY reason, is the protection of ITS interests. So amazing at it may seem, the Israeli government is actually more concerned about appealing to its citizens than to you, just as the American government should be more concerned about appealing to you than to misc. corporations or even foreign governments (this is an argument for another day). So why do you expect the American govt. to represent your wishes and the Israeli govt. not to represent its own peoples' wishes? It seems like this is what you want, but is that reasonable?

So how many times have the US used Israeli soil for basing their operations? There may have been the odd covert operation, but as has been pointed out by others, if anything Israel was a liability in GWI and GWII. Any direct involvement in that war and the coalition and basing opportunities would largely have disappeared. I'm sure at odd times Israel is (or more probably was given that there are now bases that can be used in other countries in the region)advantageous to have. I understand the need for bases and allies such as the US facilities in my own country, Australia (Pine Gap, North West Cape), and in Australia's case there is a quid pro quo to be had. The US gets to use some of our training areas and ranges, we share intel, we provide a friendly pro US influence in the region and I believe we were the first international nation to step forward with assistance when the US requested in GWII, and we get US assistance if things turn to poo in our region. So I understand that very well. What does Israel provide to the US? Where is the quid pro quo?
Answered above. Just like Kuwait needs us and we need Kuwait, same with Israel. Turkey is our ally too, but what happened when we asked them to use their territory for the Gulf War? Don't remember? They gave us the diplomatic finger. You'd have a much stronger point if you were arguing for an isolationist America. After all, you are correct below in that all foreign aid can be likened to a bribe, although that's a very pessimistic way of looking at things.* Still, this is the price that is paid to maintain influence. Consider Pakistan. We just gave Pakistan a huge new package and Pakistani lawmakers threw a fit. You know why? Because there were strings attached. The Pakistani response was, seriously, that if we are going to give them money we have no right to expect anything in return or to tell them how or where they can spend it! OTOH, Israel stopped the Yom Kippur war early in deference to American interests, despite having lost 3,000 dead (per capita equiv. to 300,000 Americans dead) and about 7,500 wounded. You really think that isn't worth anything?

*-I think a more constructive way of looking at these things is calling it the 'price of doing business.' If you go to a car dealership you aren't 'bribing' the dealer to let you take than car off the lot, but you are giving to get, the key is what is the car worth to you versus what is the money or trade-in worth to the dealer. Diplomacy isn't really any different at its most base. Sometimes we send aid because it is the 'right' thing to do, but there is almost always a baser motive beneath the outward altruism. Look at Haiti: all this aid is rushing there to help those poor people devastated by the earthquake. Is that altruism? Yes.... and no. After all, it is morally and ethically the right thing to do, but it is important to remember that desperate people will soon be at YOUR front door. How do you forestall that problem? Solve it down there before they come up here. It is cold and self-interested, but when this calculation crosses paths with an altruistic greater good the money does seem to flow, doesn't it?

You cannot invade and control a country without putting troops on the ground. A better argument would have been to point out where the US has people (some uniformed, most not) on a Pakistani Airbase.
The USAF would beg to disagree, but I said nothing about invasion. You mentioned air operations and I mentioned that we have pleaded and made deals with central and south Asian governments for AIR bases and the use of AIR space. Long-term air operations require land-based air bases if they are to be conducted in sufficient numbers (sorties), cheaply (relatively), safely, and at reasonable strain to our military capacity.

BTW, if Pakistan is such a wonderful ally, why do our people have to dump their uniforms, operate covertly, and why does their government continue to lend support to, or at the very least harbor, the Taliban and al Qaeda. Seems to me you are willing to place the bar outrageously high for Israel and outrageously low for everyone else in order to try to rig a result that convinces you that Israel is a 'failure' of an ally, but even by these standards its a tough sell.

BTW, you may want to explain how using the Carrier groups is difficult and dangerous to use. I cannot remember any carrier being targeted by suicide bombers or VBIED in the past 50 years - unlike say Baghdad. Also difficult? The US has perfected carrier ops in the 1930's and seems to have faith in the 12 carrier groups and the ability of the USMC or for that matter the US army's airborne and airmobile forces.
As noted above, carrier groups operating as lone air-support are only meant to operate that way for short term use--a few days, a week, even a month. There is no conflict, EVER, where that rule has been allowed to be broken successfully. Today we operate with the support of friendly land-based air in both theatres of operation. In the First Gulf War, same thing. Vietnam, same thing. Korea, same thing. World War II, same thing.

So how long has the war in Afghanistan gone on? I think it has been longer than a month now, so I think we're getting past the point of needing land-based air-support. But for the sake of argument how could one get around this? There are a few ways.
1. Fly at maximum efficiency. While you are right that the USA has the most efficient carrier forces in the world--perfected is a loaded word, but as close as can be, sure--they're still staffed by human beings, human beings working in limited spaces, with huge amounts of explosives and traffic. So the only way to maintain an acceptable number of sorties over a theatre of operations without any land-based support would be to wear your crews, planes, pilots, etc. to a dangerous level. At this point you're courting mistakes. These happen anyway, even when all the safety checks are made, but tired people rushing to turn planes around will make more mistakes. Someone sends the wrong signal, doesn't duck, etc. and you've got a real problem.
2. Fly from distant bases. Very expensive, wears down pilots with long flight times, wears down planes with long flight times, and limits sorties due to the enormous time in flight.
3. Use numerous carriers. You'd need to do this anyway, but this creates other problems. The more carriers you concentrate, the fewer that act as a political deterrent elsewhere. Also, and this is mucho important, the larger the primary group the smaller the pool you have to rotate out, and you WILL need to rotate your carriers over time. And at the end of the day, normal operations aboard a carrier are still and always will be more expensive and more dangerous than equivalent operations on land.
4. Use land-based airpower....

So in the end, you need local bases, and consequently, you need local allies. If you didn't then we'd have forsaken many nations like South Korea or Taiwan, but we need them and they need us. End of story.

Two asides:
1. While a suicide bomber could drive onto an airbase, that is a threat than can be controlled. As you've noted, teh USN has already taken just about all the precaustions that it can on a carrier and they are still dangerous places to operate. After all, how much movement is there in the runway at Bagram versus an aircraft carrier, eh?
2. The USA did not perfect carriers in the 1930s, this is really a teleological argument. In fact, we didn't even have the largest carrier fleet by the time war arrived (the Japanese did) nor did we have the most robust (the British steel deck carriers got that honor, albeit at a very heavy price). However, ours were the best combination of size, range, planeload, and surviveability, and we soon did essentially "perfect" the art of the carrier force and we've never looked back.

So, you believe we need Israel as an ally to invade one of these 4? Why, where is the threat? If the US is going to strike Iran, it will strike Iran, not Syria (besides, the cynical would possibly point out that there is not sufficient oil under Syria to bother). If you think it will do that from Israeli territory, you'd be very much mistaken. As with anything in that region, that will inflame sentiments in the Arab world against the US, why would the US risk trashing the diplomatic relations it has carefully built by doing that? So, any strike against an Arab country cannot be conducted from Israel - explain to me again its usefulness as a base?
I think that Israel's uses are greater than as a base, but that is a factor. Let's look at the second Gulf War as an example. Because of American largesse it would seem that we had four avenues from which we could attack the Iraqis:
1. Kuwait- the one we used.
2. Turkey- we asked, they said no.
3. Saudi Arabia-if we'd have pushed they might have assented, but it was essentially a no.
4. Israel-Jordan-didn't end up needing it.

The above was the scenario as it turned out, but what if Kuwait boots us? Unlikely given their reliance on us, but stranger has happened. That would have left only one option: using Israel as a staging point and moving thru Jordan after twisting his arm ruthlessly. Jordan's one tiny little port could never have handled American needs, and its infrastructure is piss poor, so Jordan would've been the conduit and Israel the base.

Another scenario, a repeat of 1956, but this time an Islamist government seizes Egypt and American interests are at stake. Not only is this possible, I believe this will happen within a decade (Mubarak is an old fart and he doesn't have a successor).

As for other scenarios, mostly they would be in support of friendly regimes under threat and so on. After all, we routinely base our ships at Haifa where they are much safer than, say, Yemen, where they might blow up. :mad:

These scenarios may never come to pass, but then again, there has never been another invasion of South Korea, another Chinese civil war, and the Soviets never crossed the Fulda Gap. Why? Was it because of these allies or in spite of them? That only G-d knows....

At the end of the day, all money is a bribe - a method to seek influence. The Egyptians have upheld their part of the bargain, the Israeli's seem hell bent in making the US look like fools (ignoring US requests to stop building settlements on disputed territory, scuttling US attempts at peace in the region). So, explain again the point of the $2.5Bn...

My quote about bugger any sense of restraint has to do with the Israeli settlements and their attitude to their neighbours. No, I do not define all relationships this way, but tell me, where was the quid pro quo in all this? What does America get out of its expensive relationship with Israel? .....

When you look at what the US gets from it relationships with Australia or the UK it pales by comparison with what it gets from Israel (at face value - obviously I am not privy to any intel links etc). From the outsiders point of view if it wasn't for a vocal jewish minority with influence or power in the US, the US would have and probably should have dumped its close ties with Israel at the end of the cold war.

Again, I ask, why is there such support in the US for Israel?
Listen, if you are frustrated with Israel, I can understand that. I'm Jewish and I get frustrated sometimes as well. Then again, I'm an American and I get frustrated with American policies, and as an historian I get frustrated with global policies, etc. You get my point?

As for Jews with influence, I ask you this: what exactly is wrong with this? Arabs use their oil for influence (they've actually held the world hostage effectively). Corporations use their influence. The Japanese use their influence. Environmental groups, abortion groups (pro and con), education, unions, etc. Why it bad/evil when Jews fight to be heard, but not when others do?

I could make a reverse argument for you: if it weren't for Arab oil, do you think we'd give a damn what the Arabs say? Would we cow-tow to them and pay so much attention to the Palestinians when things like Darfur happen? Would the Christian west ignore the wholesale repression of 12-18million Egyptian Copts (Christians) if not for fear of Arab oil?

Now let me ask you this: Why does it bother you more that these are Jews who influence your government when they're Americans exercising their constitutional rights? And why would you be okay by giving in to OPEC influencing your government when it is not an American institution?*

*-As an aside here, I'd prefer all of the PACs to be disbanded, but that's the system we've got and I cannot and will not fault groups for operating within it, including the Arabs if they'd like.

Anyway these are really mostly rhetorical questions, and not aimed entirely at you either, but to get people to think. However, these are things that concern me.

There is one last point that I'd like to make. You noted that the USA would not be targeted were it not for our support for Israel, but this argument hasn't held up over the years even though it seems so obvious (and I agree that it does). Way before modern Israel was even a glimmer we were fighting the barbary pirates, but more recently are two telling examples. During the Second World War the Arabs made it clear that unless Britain curtailed Jewish immigration to Palestine the Arabs would turn against the Brits. The Brits did what the Arabs wanted (this helped to trigger the Holocaust) and the Arabs of Palestine, Egypt, Syria, and Iraq all still staged attempts in greater and lesser degrees to go over to the axis. The problem was that while they were pissed about Jewish immigration, and it made for a great rallying cry, they were more pissed about colonialism and perceived attempts by the west to control them.

After the Second World War, after India gained independence, the Indians kept Israel at arms length, siding with the Arabs against Israel in the UN and so forth. They did this for about 45 years! Finally, exasperated, the Indian government began abandoning this policy in the 90s. In the end, according the Indian officials, there was never any quid pro quo. The Arabs never supported them with their own Muslim problems and, in fact, actively supported hostile anti-Indian, anti-Hindu policies adopted by Pakistan and the south Asian muslim community. This, the Indians felt, was their repayment for supporting the Arabs against Israel for nearly 1/2 century; many sub-Saharan states have begun feeling the same way.

Damn I'm sooo verbose..... but if I missed anything let me know,
Aaron

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Listen, if you are frustrated with Israel, I can understand that. I'm Jewish and I get frustrated sometimes as well. Then again, I'm an American and I get frustrated with American policies, and as an historian I get frustrated with global policies, etc. You get my point?
I have heard enough. I should back my gut instincts more.

There was something disturbing me about your posting and I could not quite put my finger on it. There was a smugness, a brittleness, a blind subjectiveness as an undertone coursing through each post. It was subtle enough but it was there.

There is nothing more corrosive to global security than the combination of a 'stateless' Palestine and an utterly recalcitrant right wing Jewish government.

In a global context it festers, it corrupts, it undermines, it divides, it drains.

Costing the economic externalities of this social dilemma transcends any positive goodwill (strategic or otherwise) Israel has ever brought to the table for either the US or other western interests propping up Israel at the diplomatic tables.

Primitive minds destroying life to contest land rights on religious grounds is something civilised society needs to move beyond.

We grow tired of Israel not because we despise them but because we rightly expect better from them.

We cant control Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamat al-Islāmiyyah. We cannot expect civility and order from a non existent state. We cannot expect to control that side of the fence.

Therefor we must control our controllables to move forward. Israel must be forced to yield. If ever there was a time to truly isolate Israel in every sense of the word it is now. Either they take advantage of self determination in the manner in which they yield to create a viable Palestinian state or we take that right away from them and resolve the matter ourselves via the UN (or other treaty mechanism).

The world will not desert Israel when or if it is truly in need. That particular paranoia is unfounded. We care about them and their people. We want them to be happy and prosper. We welcome them in Australia where many of them have settled and contribute in amazing ways to our society (for many generations).

But at this moment in history the Palestinian people need us more. Our own long term economic and social good (in a global security context) runs parallel to a Palestinian sovereignty that is well received by all Arab states (at the expense of Israel).

Our patience for Israel's rhetoric has expired. Patience in the context of the US lingers by virtue of political party lobbist machines in Washington.

It is strategically in all our best interests to back Israel into a corner right now and squeeze them hard.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I
I find it ironic that the U.S. was a bit hesistant at first in recognising Israel back in 48, with the Soviet Union being one of the first to officially recognise the state of Israel.

What's also ironic was that in 48, the stumbling block for US to recognising ISrael right away and support them came from Republican stance. In such that Truman must negotiate with care this potential political minefield.
It's ironic that the unconditional support for Israel now mostly comming from the Republican block while Democrat reserve the rights for US to support ISrael as long as ISrael still inline with longterm US policy.

Many analyst believe the REpublican stance comming from since Reagan era big chunck of REpublican support comming from vocal Christian Conservatives. While more and more Democrats gaining their support from the minorities which inmany part not a stauch supporter of Israel like the Christian Conservatives movements.

ISrael should realise that continue this hard line right wingers stance would potentially in long term reduces their influences in US politics. They can not hope to gain better ally than US for their survival. It's time for ISrael to also negotiate and treated the changes in US policy more carefully.

AEWHistory

I have heard enough. I should back my gut instincts more.

There was something disturbing me about your posting and I could not quite put my finger on it. There was a smugness, a brittleness, a blind subjectiveness as an undertone coursing through each post. It was subtle enough but it was there.

There is nothing more corrosive to global security than the combination of a 'stateless' Palestine and an utterly recalcitrant right wing Jewish government.

In a global context it festers, it corrupts, it undermines, it divides, it drains.
LMAO, wow, so Arab slavery of black Christians, persecution of Copts, etc., all of these things are NOT corrosive? Wow, wow, wow.... what a lover of humanity you are.

Costing the economic externalities of this social dilemma transcends any positive goodwill (strategic or otherwise) Israel has ever brought to the table for either the US or other western interests propping up Israel at the diplomatic tables.
Twice in the past decade the PA has been offered a state, the first time more than 92% of what they were asking plus land exchanges as compensation, the second time 96%. When the cease fire was signed in 1948 it explicitly stated that the Green Line was NOT to prejudice future border discussions, so the 1948 to 1967 line is not sacrosanct and yet the PA has still gotten virtually everything that they want. They are the ones that turned down these offers.... and lost my support in the process, along with many others on the left.

Primitive minds destroying life to contest land rights on religious grounds is something civilised society needs to move beyond.

We grow tired of Israel not because we despise them but because we rightly expect better from them.

We cant control Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamat al-Islāmiyyah. We cannot expect civility and order from a non existent state. We cannot expect to control that side of the fence.

Therefor we must control our controllables to move forward. Israel must be forced to yield. If ever there was a time to truly isolate Israel in every sense of the word it is now. Either they take advantage of self determination in the manner in which they yield to create a viable Palestinian state or we take that right away from them and resolve the matter ourselves via the UN (or other treaty mechanism).

The world will not desert Israel when or if it is truly in need. That particular paranoia is unfounded. We care about them and their people. We want them to be happy and prosper. We welcome them in Australia where many of them have settled and contribute in amazing ways to our society (for many generations).

But at this moment in history the Palestinian people need us more. Our own long term economic and social good (in a global security context) runs parallel to a Palestinian sovereignty that is well received by all Arab states (at the expense of Israel).

Our patience for Israel's rhetoric has expired. Patience in the context of the US lingers by virtue of political party lobbist machines in Washington.

It is strategically in all our best interests to back Israel into a corner right now and squeeze them hard.

As I've said before, until 2000 I was a strong supporter of a Palestinian state and I backed Israel's withdrawal from Lebanon. In both cases my 'gut instincts' were wrong. There was no peace treaty with Lebanon and no peace with the Palestinians. So the pressure that I applied and encouraged others to apply, just as you are doing now, was simply used as a lever to extract concessions from Israel with nothing in return.

Now I'd like to return to something: so because I'm Jewish you're going to suddenly doubt what I say--despite backing it up with examples--but you don't plan on doing the same thing for Palestinians or Muslims? Are you aware that that is called anti-Semitism? Forget the canard anti-Zionism my friend, that's good old anti-Semitism. What you're basically saying is that this old Jew can't be trusted for no other stated reason than my ethnic and religious background. What you're also insinuating is that Palestinians/Muslims can be trusted to be truthful.... you know, like that al-Dura case, right? Would be any lies or defamations there. (BTW, that wasn't the first time I mentioned my Jewish heritage, it was second... and I also come from a long line of British Quakers.... I'm a mutt, but the British parts of my family are both Jewish and Quaker.)

As for smugness, I'll take that as confidence in my remarks. I've been reading for 25 years on these subjects; I've been researching different fields for nearly 20 years. If you take my confidence as smugness then so be it, but frankly it is difficult to watch ignorance fly and let it stand. Even in my field my breadth of knowledge is far larger than most and I haven't hit 40 yet (I started college at 16), so what would you like me to do when I see people make arguments that I know are wrong?

Anyway, I don't think for a second you are a fence-sitter, so while I could address your arguments, I'll mostly just leave this. All I'll say is: your language is that of someone who is passionately, innately, and perhaps violently anti-Israel and pro-Arab, and apparently anti-Semitic as well. There are dozens of major human travesties across the planet and yet only the one that concerns you is in Israel and there you are arguing that one side must be "forced to yield" and "squeeze them hard." I wonder what the Aussie sentiments would be if the world took that tactic while Australia has been hammering out a way to recognize indigenous rights (after all, unlike Israel, Australia hasn't offered them a state, have they?). Or do you think we'd have the fairly peaceful settlement we have in N. Ireland that we have now--a settlement brought about by building a damn big wall on Irish soil I might add :D --have the world rallied to S.F. against the U.K. Nope. Instead we'd have encouraged S.F. to continue their terror campaign.

However, if you are so incredibly sympathetic to the Palestinian people, why not advocate better treatment for them in Jordan as well? They've got few rights there and they are an absolute majority (by some accounts up to 80% today, but I don't think that high). Why "squeeze" only Israel about Palestinian rights when there are perhaps more Palestinians in Jordan than in the West Bank or Gaza (and I think there's still more combined...)? Oh that's right, its because we "expect" more from Israel. Heh, heh, lookup Ayaan Hirsi Ali and see what she has to say on that subject.

PS-I didn't believe in resurrection until I read this post LB, but you are the second coming of Neville Chamberlain if I do say so myself....

Last edited:

AEWHistory

Exactly. I mean the Czechs had absolutely rock solid guarantees from three major powers and they were...... ooops, nevermind.

You might be right, but the very argument you're making disproves your point. BTW, I could also cite examples, from texts and archives, that badly undermine your case. Would you like to read some or does my Jewishness taint my citations?

-Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.