have the indian navy leased Akula-II and if so how many??

XEROX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i think russia is not be allowed to sell nuclear technologhy like nuclear subs to india, due to some nuclear treaty, i cant remember which one though

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
i think its between 2 and 3. I think its to beef up the naval complement along with the Gorshkov. The scorpenes however are not for lease. The Akulas are a stop gap measure but frankly i dont think the indians can laydown an SSBN in ten years.

XEROX

actually i belive that india is still oncourse for its nuclear submarine programme, its called Advance Technology Vessels (ATVs), and will be operational by 2010 :?:

XEROX

i belive they will be armed with the Indigenous Sagarika missile

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
actually i belive that india is still oncourse for its nuclear submarine programme, its called Advance Technology Vessels (ATVs), and will be operational by 2010 :?:
The ATV is believed to be a locally modified Charlie class SSBN.

XEROX

what is the diffrence between charlie and the akula "gfoo12", and will it enhance the indian navy capability and ambition to be a "bluewater" navy

adsH

Guys do you think the SSBN's are being inducted in INAVY to be used against PAK NAvy or are these for a different threat i personally i think the 4 scorpions are meant to Counter the Threat posed by PAK navy's new acquisition of Augusta 90b, i personally think the SSBN would be too big and too Slow and would be out maneuvered by augusta. so i think the scorpion woud be the Lethal teeth of Indian Subs Fleet, which would be used against Pak Navy. What do you think. i think the SSBN is intended for teh Chinese Navy which is a longer range threat,

XEROX

i agree with your comments "adsH", i frequently hear how the pakistanis are modernizing their navy, how many subs have they purchased from france??

adsH

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
i agree with your comments "adsH", i frequently hear how the pakistanis are modernizing their navy, how many subs have they purchased from france??
They purchased one built two of the same class, and they operate the same Class of sub but older versions so all of them will be retrofitted with newer equipmets sensors Missile systems and Onboard computers. i personally think China is more backward in sub technology then INdia and Pakistan, so i would expect india's new Scorpion (which are the one model better then Pak new Augusta 90b) to be deployed against Pak NAVY.

lalith prasad

Banned Member
some reports say that there is some influence of project 885 in the indian submarine according to the latest news it should be ready by 2007.l and t built up a facility to tect a sumbmersible missile firing platform . there were some problema with the containment vessel which were resolved with russian assistance however there are conflicting reports wether the reactor would be 40-50mw or 190mw.it is a ssgn

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Do you have a link?
We need sources here you know. Ill try to find one as well but please make sure you have sources backing your claims.

lalith prasad

Banned Member
the sources are fas.org,globalsecurity.org,bharatrakshak and stratmags,check out stratmags archives i think dated september2000 mor 2002 i will give you the accurate one next time i send a reply.also u can use google search.by the way sagarika is a blistic missile with solid fuel and a .600kms range last year israel tested turbopopeye a 1500 cruise missile in the indian territorial waters there were reports then in israeli media that india was actively collaborating in this project. india can acquire the tech but definitely not the missile.anyway i cannot confirm how far these are true afterall they are media reports.also india has completed the development of the submarine launched version of the brahmos missile i think this missile and variants will most likely arm the atv.landt set up underwater missile testing facility for sagarika.meanwhile india today successfully tested the army variant of the brahmos missile at balasore despite a severe cyclonic storm in the bay of bengal and poor weather this missile was undergoing user trails and is now considered ready for induction.it was fired from mobile tatra truck.there is scope to increase its range.the source for this information is the news channels and indian newspapers .last time they showed the test firing on tv hope they do so this time also.this was the 7 test firing.3 from ships 2 from fixed silos and 2 from mobile platform.this missile now has a newer flight control system said to be superior to the earlier one and developed by aprivate company

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
this missile now has a newer flight control system said to be superior to the earlier one and developed by aprivate company
The flight control system is different as India was unable to use the dedicated Russian satellite system that was developed for the Yakhont.
It's an indigenous solution to a missile that does not get terminal guidance or transit updates from satellites.

there is scope to increase its range
The range was only limited as Russia was not allowed to sell a missile with greater than 300km under the proliferation treaty. The Yakhont is capable of a longer range - hence so will Brahmos once design work has been established.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
India signed a lease contract with Russia to aquire 2 Akula II SSN. Besides the purpose of enhancing the Indian navy, i think it's also a learning ground for india to develop its own nuclear sub. Akula II is said to be comparable to Los Angeles class of U.S and would be a good jump start for india.

XEROX

Does anyone know who is assisting india in its ATV project (nuclear sub), Isreal or Russia,

last time i heard it was Isreal, but no hard facts

lalith prasad

Banned Member
russia is helping india and as per the latest news modules are being prepared at mdl for transportation to vizag .two interesting peices of information are that the sub will have 9500tons displacement, the sagarika missile has been cancelled in favour of a 1000km ranged version of agni2.also the sub will be ready by 2007 2 years ahead of schedule.