General Aviation Thread

swerve

Super Moderator
Eventough using MD-80/Boeing 717 desain, ARJ-21 claim to be provide more economics costs per seat due to better engine and construction materials.
The ARJ-21 uses a variant of an engine which first ran in 1982, (the ARJ-21 variant first ran in 2007) while the 717 had a new engine of which the basic version first ran in 1995, & the variant in the 717 first ran in 1997.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Embrear decided to hold their investment move toward next gen Turboprop. Something that seems regretable considering most current Turboprop Airliners come from 80's design.

However unless Next Gen Turboprop can be a real game changer like provide 30-40% cost per seat economics and 90% at least of range and speed of regional turbofan like CRJ (let alone E Series or A220), then its simply not worth on investment.

The green hope for at least Hydrogen power Turboprop or even Battery Powered Turboprop. However even that mature, how or is going to be worthy investment if can only be economics on niche low/thin densities short range regional market.

That's what make Embrear hold the drive. Simply current Turboprop tech even the new ones can only cater niche Turboprop market (as current Turboprop), but not make too much advantage on current 80's originated design.

Sandhi Yudha

There will be a new A340-operator!!
The new airline will operate out of Frankfurt and will offer passenger- and cargo-flights with one Airbus A340-300, which will be registered D-AUSC (646), and one A340-600, which will become D-AUSZ (557). Both A340s are former South African Airways-aircraft and currently parked at Johannesburg.

And on the the afternoon of 23 December four A340-300 aircraft left Johannesburg at almost the same time with Burkino Faso registrations towards Iran as a nice Christmas gift....

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Air NZ ATR 72-600 approach into Queenstown NZ. Queenstown is an interesting place to fly into.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

NASA officially team up with Boeing for new airliner design. This Transonic Truss-Braced Wing design not only hope for much more fuel efficient design, but I do see basically US effort to regain lead on singgle aisle market.

Wondering tough when Airbus going to answer with EASA team up project. No matter how you are going to twists legally terms, it is basically Government funding RnD. Something that both US and EU has track record to accused each other's on giving 'public' money subsidies for both Boeing and Airbus.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Boeing has been ordered to appear before a Federal judge in Texas on criminal charges because of the 737-MAX crashes. I hope that this case isn't thrown out of Court because IMHO there is criminal liability by Boeing.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I do see this kind of legal settlement strings can alter Aircraft manufacturer practices on preparing new designs in to the market. Moreover the Boeing team up with NASA (on my previous post), could be part of Boeing or other commercial aviation industry in US to get more government involvement on aviation industry RnD initiatives.

Basically the industry saying that if our design process be more stringent, then please use government money to help us design new things. Commercial sector answer on more costs on RnD. Add more public money to take care more costs risks.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
DARPA and NASA are Boeing’s best friends. Realistically no large commercial airplane manufacturer can survive without some kind of government support, usually via organizations like the above or defence.

Sandhi Yudha

Just happened yesterday.
An American Airlines Boeing 737-8 (MAX-8) had to return to its origin airport after the failure of its stabilizer trim system.

KLM-passengers stuck for days in Panama because of a technical problem with a Boeing 787-9.

Earlier this month a KLM Boeing 777-300ER had also technical problems which cause 400 passengers to be stuck in Singapore for days.

And in September 2022 they had the same problem with 200 passengers.

Last edited:

At lakes

Pyka Pelican Cargo Revealed As World’s Largest Electric Unmanned Cargo Plane?

I placed this on the General aviation thread as its a civilian aircraft and most likely would be engaged in civilian tasks, its great to see the practical direction civilian drones are now heading. The loopy left might even say something nice about them. In saying that if the UKR forces ever got hold of one it would make a hell'va bang if they stuffed it with 400pounds of explosives and flew into one of Poo-tin's Ammo dumps in Russia.

Edit, spelling error for Poo-tin read Putin

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pyka Pelican Cargo Revealed As World’s Largest Electric Unmanned Cargo Plane?

I placed this on the General aviation thread as its a civilian aircraft and most likely would be engaged in civilian tasks, its great to see the practical direction civilian drones are now heading. The loopy left might even say something nice about them. In saying that if the UKR forces ever got hold of one it would make a hell'va bang if they stuffed it with 400pounds of explosives and flew into one of Poo-tin's Ammo dumps in Russia.

Edit, spelling error for Poo-tin read Putin
"Edit, spelling error ..." You don't look sorry. :D

Yes 400lb of HE would make for a nice bang.

Sandhi Yudha

The Indonesian authorities have deployed a joint team of armed forces and police to evacuate a foreign pilot who was allegedly taken hostage by separatist fighters in the Papua region on Tuesday, after their commercial plane was set on fire upon landing safely in the remote regency of Nduga. The terrorists have treatened to execute the New-Zealand pilot and the Cessna Caravan has to be regarded as destroyed and completely written off.

The remarkable point is that no government has condemned this terrorist act and that the Indonesian government still refuse to call these organizations as terrorist groups.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Indonesian authorities have deployed a joint team of armed forces and police to evacuate a foreign pilot who was allegedly taken hostage by separatist fighters in the Papua region on Tuesday, after their commercial plane was set on fire upon landing safely in the remote regency of Nduga. The terrorists have treatened to execute the New-Zealand pilot and the Cessna Caravan has to be regarded as destroyed and completely written off.

The remarkable point is that no government has condemned this terrorist act and that the Indonesian government still refuse to call these organizations as terrorist groups.

Other countries may have a different view on whether or not Papuan Independence Groups qualify as terrorist organisations or not.

Sandhi Yudha

So not the acts what make the group a terrorist group, but on which side they are? Being anti-Indonesia seems to give them the stamp "the good guys" for some people, because acts like attacking aeroplanes and the passengers, murdering civillians, take pilots hostage and wanting to execute them are normally regarded as terrorist acts.

But i have to give my apologies for placing my post above in the wrong thread. It should be in the General Aviation Thread and not in the Military Aviation News and Discussion thread. @ngatimozart do you think that the post has to be moved to the correct thread?

FormerDirtDart

I personally have no problem to referring to this group as terrorists after taking and holding civilians hostage and demanding a political result in order for them to gain release.
I am confused though. I can find no mention in the articles you have provided (I let my browser translate the non-english one) or an additional article from CNN on the incident, that this group have threatened to execute the pilot or the other passengers. Could you provide some source for this claim?

Sandhi Yudha

I personally have no problem to referring to this group as terrorists after taking and holding civilians hostage and demanding a political result in order for them to gain release.
I am confused though. I can find no mention in the articles you have provided (I let my browser translate the non-english one) or an additional article from CNN on the incident, that this group have threatened to execute the pilot or the other passengers. Could you provide some source for this claim?
It is written in the last two articles.

In the NOS-article
|"De piloot is volgens de rebellen in leven, maar als de Indonesische regering niet instemt met de gestelde eisen "wordt hij geëxecuteerd"."|
So the passengers were released because they were Papuas, but because the pilot was a non-Papua, he is taken hostage, and now they threat to execute him if their demands are followed up.

Being white/Caucasian/foreigner, the pilot has probably a higher value for the terrorists, because the last years many civilians were just killed on the spot, often with the reason that "these civillians were spies".

This is not the first time that terrorists attack small aircrafts or other civillian targets. Sometimes its 'just' pointing their assault rifles on the passengers, pilots and airport staff followed by destroying equipment, sometimes it ends up in a massacre.

But maybe we shouldn't discuss this here in this Military Aviation thread. And yes i am sorry for putting post #768 in this thread.

Last edited:

At lakes

The Coroner's inquiry into the accident of the Fire Bombing C130 that occurred during the 2019-2020 bush fires, shows there was an appalling break down of communication between authorities to the point if procedures where followed correctly the incident may never have happened.
There were two C130's in the air that day and one broke of its tasking due to the deteriorating conditions and returned to RAAF Richmond, but the 2nd C130 appears not to have been informed of the conditions and continued on its assigned tasking resulting in the accident with the loss of three lives.

Sandhi Yudha

Good news for Emirates passengers, fantastic news for aircraftspotters from whole Indonesia!