General Aviation Thread

Sandhi Yudha

Australian carrier Qantas has provisionally selected the Airbus A320neo family and A220-300 as its preferred option to modernise its single-aisle fleet.
Boeing has offered the 737MAX-family, but Qantas is likely to place an order for 20 A321XLRs and 20 A220s by the end of the carrier’s fiscal year, which potentially can lead to taking up to 134 Airbusses.

Terran

I think this shows that Boeing has perhaps over invested in the Max. The A220 is closer in size in base configuration to the original 737 but larger in diameter.
The A321XLR is the closest airliner in production to the 757-200 Boeings closest would be the Max 10 but though a good airliner it just doesn’t match the 757 which is known for its wider wing and engines that are probably over kill for an aircraft it’s size giving it very good short field, fast climb and good high altitude take off. Boeing seems to be playing it safe to the point of making problems for its self in this class. With Dreamliner stalled at the moment and Boeing still cleaning up the pieces from the MCAS and Covid Boeing is not in a position to take a lot of costumers taking the Bus.

Sandhi Yudha

Some days ago at London Heathrow, a catering truck hit the lower part of the splitted wingtip device of this 737 MAX. If it was a 737 NG, this expensive incident wouldn't have happened.

And this report is about a Delta flight somewhere above the US.
A Karen without mask attacked another passenger because he didn't wear a mask.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some days ago at London Heathrow, a catering truck hit the lower part of the splitted wingtip device of this 737 MAX. If it was a 737 NG, this expensive incident wouldn't have happened.

Actually whether or not the aircraft had the split wing tip is beside the point. The fault for the incident is 100% the truck driver who should have been well clear of the wing. The driver wasn't doing their job properly; not concentrating on their driving.
And this report is about a Delta flight somewhere above the US.
A Karen without mask attacked another passenger because he didn't wear a mask.

I have a sister who's name is Karen and she wouldn't be amused at all by that woman. She'd flatten her and they'd have to scrape off the bulkhead and deckhead at the end of the cabin. Karen's not exactly the most mild of temperaments and doesn't suffer fools gladly. All of my brothers and I can attest to that from painful experience. We have a cousin of the same name who's of very similar temperament and those two were / are thick as thieves. My and my brothers daughters are much the same too. :eek:

It's interesting that most of these Karens we see performing are from generations younger than baby boomers and are middle class. They all appear to feel entitled. I saw one video where one in the US nutted off at some cops and got arrested for her trouble. The other thing that I do find interesting is that the majority of air rage incidents involve Americans. They seem to have very short fuses and nut off quickly. I wonder why that is?

Redlands18

Actually whether or not the aircraft had the split wing tip is beside the point. The fault for the incident is 100% the truck driver who should have been well clear of the wing. The driver wasn't doing their job properly; not concentrating on their driving.

I have a sister who's name is Karen and she wouldn't be amused at all by that woman. She'd flatten her and they'd have to scrape off the bulkhead and deckhead at the end of the cabin. Karen's not exactly the most mild of temperaments and doesn't suffer fools gladly. All of my brothers and I can attest to that from painful experience. We have a cousin of the same name who's of very similar temperament and those two were / are thick as thieves. My and my brothers daughters are much the same too. :eek:

It's interesting that most of these Karens we see performing are from generations younger than baby boomers and are middle class. They all appear to feel entitled. I saw one video where one in the US nutted off at some cops and got arrested for her trouble. The other thing that I do find interesting is that the majority of air rage incidents involve Americans. They seem to have very short fuses and nut off quickly. I wonder why that is?
You could easily spend a week watching "Karen" videos on YouTube. Funny thing though I have worked with 2 Women named Karen in my current job and both, you would say, while not full on "Karens" they had some tendencies in that direction.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

The short fuses are the result many years of airlines screwing customers around. COVID has made things worse of course but airlines here and in the USA are using COVID as an excuse for their abysmal performance in many instances. Extreme delays in refunding passengers for cancellations is a good example.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The short fuses are the result many years of airlines screwing customers around. COVID has made things worse of course but airlines here and in the USA are using COVID as an excuse for their abysmal performance in many instances. Extreme delays in refunding passengers for cancellations is a good example.
Ok, then maybe it's time that the authorities held the airlines to account.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don’t care what the airlines do or don’t do. Air travel is mass transport and I find it a miracle that any plane gets off the ground with the right pax and baggage from the major hubs.
As to the self entitled bitch who obviously has never been taught common decency, she should be dragged off the aircraft and thrown in the slammer for a night or two and then fined heavily, batons and Shore Patrol come to mind.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
COVID has made things worse of course but airlines here and in the USA are using COVID as an excuse for their abysmal performance in many instances.
I don't about any of you North American guys, but the last several times that I went there, I only fly non US/Canada Airlines, and domestically I only fly Jet Blue (well I'm mostly fly between major cities). Jet Blue is the only Airlines that some my US Colleagues give recomendation for domestics. They're also fly non North American airlines if they want to fly outside US or Canada.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I don't about any of you North American guys, but the last several times that I went there, I only fly non US/Canada Airlines, and domestically I only fly Jet Blue (well I'm mostly fly between major cities). Jet Blue is the only Airlines that some my US Colleagues give recomendation for domestics. They're also fly non North American airlines if they want to fly outside US or Canada.
In Canada, Air Canada and WestJet are the only domestic carriers offering routes between most major cities.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Bit extra effort for CALC just to gain Export footing for Chinese Airliner. In sense to make export viable for Chinese Airliner, invest on Foreign Airlines and sell Chinese Airliner to them.
Continuation of my previous post #611 of this thread. Seems CALC already finalise it's corporate action as major shareholders of Trans Nusa airlines. And begin the operation for ARJ-21 with Transnusa as first export customer.

The Airline it self practically only a shell company left. This is practically building a new airline. CALC seems going to put large commitment for 50 A320Neo and 30+30 ARJ-21. I do suspect this is part of China effort to open export market. When you can't convince existing players, then just buy one.

Even A320 can be also consider apart of China Aviation industry as China has A320 final assembly line, and CALC do leased large number of those A320 assembled in China toward China airlines. Seems they see a lot off Indonesian domestic carriers already in trouble do to Covid, now it's good time to come in, and take some shares of the market.

Sandhi Yudha

Continuation of my previous post #611 of this thread. Seems CALC already finalise it's corporate action as major shareholders of Trans Nusa airlines. And begin the operation for ARJ-21 with Transnusa as first export customer.

The Airline it self practically only a shell company left. This is practically building a new airline. CALC seems going to put large commitment for 50 A320Neo and 30+30 ARJ-21. I do suspect this is part of China effort to open export market. When you can't convince existing players, then just buy one.

Even A320 can be also consider apart of China Aviation industry as China has A320 final assembly line, and CALC do leased large number of those A320 assembled in China toward China airlines. Seems they see a lot off Indonesian domestic carriers already in trouble do to Covid, now it's good time to come in, and take some shares of the market.
Sad news...
|"China-based China Aircraft Leasing Group Holdings Limited (CALC) controls the airline with a 35.68% stake through Linkasia Airlines Group Limited (formerly known as Aviation Synergy Limited), "|

So with this trick the chinese can force an Indonesian airline to become the launch customer for this totally unpopular ARJ-21, which is in fact a DC-9 copy with new wings and engines.
Undoubtly they will brand this step as a 'FIRST EXPORT SUCCESS', and a 'clear proof of foreign trust in PRC quality and reliability'.

With a government like the current one and a deeply corrupt institution as DSKU/DGCA, the approval of this type of aircraft for Indonesian usage is just a "formalitas".

So the rumours about the ARJ-21 were true after all. And now i understand why there is a TransNusa A320 NEO parked on Terminal 1A of Cengkareng for some weeks.
(Photo taken by myself)dewhapv-e8bfb4ea-10ce-4355-b1b2-765d97cced77.jpg

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
So the rumours about the ARJ-21 were true after all. And now i understand why there is a TransNusa A320 NEO parked on Terminal 1A of Cengkareng.
Terminal 1, well seems they want to face direct competition with Lion and Citilink. Basically the low cost domestic market now only being handles by Citilink, Lion and Sriwijaya and Air Asia Indonesia. This is the Chunk of Indonesian domestic market. All four has financial trouble, thus with new Capital actually CALC with Trans Nusa can come in good timing.

All back to how far CALC wants to burn money for at least the first three to four years. New comer can't expect to make money on that period, in any market.

As for ARJ-21, the trick is to maintain good support infrastructure. This is new Aircraft in Indonesia, no MRO has infrastructure to support it, eventough it's basically MD design. However it's build for China with Chinese parts suppliers. They have to Invest on their own MRO, or take over one of the smaller MRO.

That's what happens with previous China aviation effort to penetrate Indonesian market with Xian MA-60 (that AN-26 derivative). No MRO can support and they choose a wrong very inefficient airlines to partner with. So in paper with an Airlines under their own control, seems workable, again if they willing to put huge money to burned first.

It's expensive business model, let's see how far CALC (thus Chinese SOE) want to support. After all they do have enough capital base to support.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

LM FB shown their skunk works program already preparing to send NASA X-59 Supersonic Transport model.
The X-59 is an interesting project. Not only flying so quietly during supersonic flight is very challenging, but the extreme design means that the long and pointed nose-cone will obstruct all forward vision.

The X-59 will use an enhanced flight vision system (EVS), consisting of a forward 4K camera with a 33° by 19° angle of view, which will compensate for the lack of forward visibility. United Technologies subsidiary Collins Aerospace was selected to supply its Pro Line Fusion Cockpit avionics, displaying the boom on the ground, and EVS with long-wave infrared sensors. The Collins EVS-3600 multispectral imaging system, beneath the nose, is used for landing, while the NASA external vision system (XVS), in front of the cockpit, is giving a forward view. So thanks to the advanced technology these days, a movable nose like that from the Tu-144/Concorde is not necessary anymore.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The Collins EVS-3600 multispectral imaging system, beneath the nose, is used for landing, while the NASA external vision system (XVS), in front of the cockpit, is giving a forward view.
I'm still not comfortable with an idea where Pilots only depends on Electronics based external viewing options. There's design to replace passenger windows with electronics imaging systems. Thus negate the need for windows that can reduce air frame strength integrity, which so far limiting air frame designs options on commercial airliners.

However for Pilot without emergency redundancy option for manual sighting, that's too much reliance on Electronics in my opinion.

Sandhi Yudha

Extreme rescue operation.
According to the article the aircraft got problems with the engine, forcing the pilot to perform an emergency landing.
Some seconds more, and it would be too late.

Sandhi Yudha

Aviastar Tupolev Tu-204-100C (RA-64032, built 2002) was destroyed when a fire broke out inside the cabin during pushback for departure at Hangzhou Airport (ZSHC), China. A suspected cargo fire is possibly the cause, but the crew evacuated safely. The aircraft was in operation for the chinese logistic company Cainiao.

Sandhi Yudha

The FAA seeks special conditions for FedEx to install a system “that emits infrared laser energy outside the aircraft as a countermeasure against heat-seeking missiles.” Currently, the FAA notes, airworthiness regulations for commercial aircraft lack safety standards for these systems. So for now these are still plans, but it will certainly increase the chance of survival for cargo-aircrafts in airspace above countries with conflicts/war.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This two article shown same news. Boeing finaly understand that 'range' is matter in the time Market is shifting for more point to point business model from Hub to Hub business model in the 90's and early 2000.

However they seems also realise against A350, improving range of 787 is seems more attractive then 777X. This raise quenstion on 777-8 viability as 777-200 family customers prefer 787-10 with extended range.

So basically they can also think NMA perhaps not neccesary to face A321LR/XLR. Just build 737 Max10 HGW. Perhaps this is why the current CEO put hold on NMA development.