General Aviation Thread

Ananda

The Bunker Group

The results from Dubai Airshow so far shown Boeing luck begin to return. However in my opinion it is too early to say Boeing will close the gap with the Airbus. It is more Boeing begin to catching up on market share with Airbus.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Deep cuts coming to Boeing, especially to their strategy group. Hardly a surprise given the Max and fixed price contract debacles. Seems no new single aisle jet will come out until the 2030s, understandable considering the possible new carbon emission standards that might happen sooner rather than later. The A-321 family will be tough competition for the Max family. The 777 NG better launch successfully. Winning either the USAF or USN NGAD would really help. Moving the HQ back to Seattle should be on the list as well.

Boeing deepens strategy cuts as operations take center-stage -sources (msn.com)

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Putin shown ambitions to fully replace all Western Airliners with Russian ones for domestic use. In paper Russian Turbofan development also on tract to support that. PD-8 for Superjet/Regional Jet class, PD-14 for MC-21/Single Aisle Class and PD-35 for IL-96 (double engine version) or C929 Double Aisles Class.

Even with UAC officialy pull out as equal partner from CR929 and thus Chengdu move the project as C929, Russian still involve with the program as supplier partner. China also developing C919 and C929 with both Western variant and Non Western variant. Thus just like with what Russian done now, preparing airliner versions that fully independent from western suppliers.

That move (depend with whom make the projection) has some aviation analysts in the Industry predict potential market of 16% (one sixth) to 25% (one quarter) of global Airliners market that can be attracting to non western airliners (non Airbus and Boeing). This is base mostly on Geopolitical development. Most of them base on Russian and Chinese domestics with potential others come from Central Asia, ME and South/South East Asia and other smaller market in Latin America and Africa.

Off course it is going to take longer time to entice Airlines from Boeing and Airbus, but political movement for some nations to be independent or have options from Western Suppliers especially after Russian Sanctions, is something that some market analysts believe is doable.

Personally for me, it is also depend on how Russian and Chinese can cooperate. Despite China massive development in aero industry, they still need Russia. In sense both of them need each other if they want to give credible challange to Western Manufacturers. COMAC need UAC if want to fight market against Boeing and Airbus.

This is the big "if" so far, as CR929 development so far shown that "ego" still matter as UAC then pull out and decide to work on double engine IL-96. Something that Airbus done with A340 to A330.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
During a Christmas dinner in one of Airbus' factories in France, around 700 employees became sick, resulting in massive vomiting and diarrhoea

Bugger. Not good. Going both ends at the same time is never fun, and definitely not a good look for the caterer.

swerve

Super Moderator
IIRC last time that happened to me was in India, after eating in the smartest restaurant I'd been in there. A night sitting on the crapper, which was conveniently close to the handbasin.

Sandhi Yudha

The Kazakhstan Tөтенше Жағдайлар Министрлігі (ТЖМ, Ministry of Emergency Situations), also known as Kazaviaspas, received two new Mi-8AMT medium twin-turbine helicopters on 15 December 2023. Next year in 2024, three more will follow.

So the Mi-8/-17 is still under production for export in small quantities.

Sandhi Yudha

This look like a quite serious situation.

The good news is that all 379 passengers and crew have escaped from a Japan Airlines aircraft that caught fire at Tokyo's Haneda Airport, according to a JAL official. But the plane is still burning. Japan Airlines says the airplane is Flight 516 from New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido to Tokyo's Haneda Airport, and it seems that the plane collided with what appears to be a Japan Coast Guard aircraft after landing at Haneda Airport.

According to this website the aeroplane of flight JL516 is an Airbus A350-900.

Here a footage of the landing. It is really a miracle that everybody could escape unharmed.
Watch: Plane turns into fireball as it lands on runway

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This is live coverage from sky news on the accident. It is confirmed as collision with Japan Coast Guard Dash 8 in the runway. 5 people confirm dead so far. Most from Coast Guard plane.

20240102_190250.jpg

Add: The type of Dash 8 of Japanese Coast Guard that involve in the collision with JAL A350. Collision in runway is not something that seems possible in discipline Japan, let alone in Haneda. However it is happening. For me, if it can happen in Japan, then it's still can happen anywhere.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
All casualties on the coastguard aircraft: 5 dead, pilot alive but badly injured. My wife's looked at Japanese news. It was setting off for Niigata on an eathquake aid job.

swerve

Super Moderator
It looks as if the airport rescue services & the cabin crew did their jobs well.

Shame someone else cocked up & caused it, though. Now we wait to find out. One of the pilots? Ground control?

Meriv90

Add: The type of Dash 8 of Japanese Coast Guard that involve in the collision with JAL A350. Collision in runway is not something that seems possible in discipline Japan, let alone in Haneda. However it is happening. For me, if it can happen in Japan, then it's still can happen anywhere.
On this sentence, I'm used to Korean "Pali Pali" culture and its deadly consequences.
But if I had to think back to an historic reference for the Japanese, probably useless because 80 years ago, the first thought that came to my mind was the Midday battle and Japanese carriers with the flight deck still with bombs and fuel (I don't remember exactly if both).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It looks as if the airport rescue services & the cabin crew did their jobs well.

Shame someone else cocked up & caused it, though. Now we wait to find out. One of the pilots? Ground control?
I have a suspicion that a similar event in North America wouldn’t end so well. I base this on passenger behaviour here, many are total morons who wouldn’t follow instructions even though their lives depend on doing so. Then there is the obesity issue which may be an even bigger issue.

Sandhi Yudha

I have a suspicion that a similar event in North America wouldn’t end so well. I base this on passenger behaviour here, many are total morons who wouldn’t follow instructions even though their lives depend on doing so. Then there is the obesity issue which may be an even bigger issue.
Passenger discipline also undoubtedly contributed to the survival rate of 100%. And yes, (body) size matters.

Update: it seems that the JAL A350 and the Coastguard aircraft were on the runway at the same moment for some reason.

And this is the first hull loss/major accident with an A350.

Last edited:

Musashi_kenshin

Update: it seems that the JAL A350 and the Coastguard aircraft were on the runway at the same moment for some reason.

The Coastguard plane captain reportedly claimed he had been given permission to enter the runway, but the transcript of ATC communications released today shows that he was told to stay at a holding position (Haneda's maps show this off the runway), whereas the JAL flight was cleared to land.

The fact the Coastguard pilot apparently was aware he was going on to an active runway suggests to me that the investigation will be fairly straightforward.

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes, looks that way.

My wife's pointed out that from the initial damage to the A350 being on one side, it looked as if the DHC-8 was at the side of the runway, not lined up on it. Entering it, rather than sitting on it?

She's been watching Japanese news. The communications between ATC & the aircraft were monitored & recorded by planespotting otaku, who put 'em on the web.
Passenger discipline also undoubtedly contributed to the survival rate of 100%. And yes, (body) size matters.

Yes, passenger discipline does seem to have been a factor. Reports suggest that departure was orderly without stopping to pick up luggage.

At lakes

My wife was watching the ABC America news on the Telly and she said that there is a report on that program that some of the runway lights were not working on main runway and the taxi way and these lights have been U/S for a couple of weeks. . My wife has very limited knowledge on airports and aircraft and refers to them as the big plane and the little plane she said she not sure of her facts. Did anyone else here see this item re the accident in Japan and would it have been a mitigating factor in what has occurred.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Did anyone else here see this item re the accident in Japan and would it have been a mitigating factor in what has occurred.
Yes this was in this was in my local paper. It said that there was a stop light bar across the end of the taxiway that was not working. If this is true and it was dark, the pilot of the CG aircraft may not have been aware that he was on the runway. Early days yet, could be some time for the whole story to come out.