General African Defense discussion

I was under the impression that Nigeria never 'officially' sought direct western assistance, but that may change with the current national elections delayed and the efforts by Nigerias military to date, has been fairly limited to say the least. - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan Wants U.S. Troops to Fight Boko Haram - WSJ

Nigeria, Chad, Niger, Cameroon & Benin have dedicated 7,500 troops to combat the growing common threat. Chad also conducted it's own airstrikes recently inside Nigeria's NW territory.

Seperately, France also seems to be stepping up intelligence assistance, with its own assets based in Niger and Chad. I understand they already 3,000 troops in the region (Operation Barkhane), around the Sahel. Some suggesting, further French military advisors could be deployed - Central Africa regional war launched to tackle Boko Haram - Telegraph

Personally, I was a little surprised by the comparative army strengths within the region;
Nigeria; 62k
Chad; 20k
Cameroon; 12.5k
Niger; 5.2k
Benin; 4.3k

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
That a country with 150+ million people can only muster armed forces this small with just a fraction being able to be used against Boko Haram is rather irritating.

I know, I know, it's Africa but nevertheless.

Well I have just seen a report about this whole mess. The provincial governor didn't even find it odd that he received the reporters in a palace of a house sporting decadent amounts of wealth while saying that there is helpless and he urges the west to support them with money and material...:crazy

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
:)
That a country with 150+ million people can only muster armed forces this small with just a fraction being able to be used against Boko Haram is rather irritating.

I know, I know, it's Africa but nevertheless.

Well I have just seen a report about this whole mess. The provincial governor didn't even find it odd that he received the reporters in a palace of a house sporting decadent amounts of wealth while saying that there is helpless and he urges the west to support them with money and material...:crazy
Nigeria's army has about 130,000 members, not very high as the population is closer to 175 million. Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa (I wonder if this includes Internet scams) and spends 1.5% of its GDP on defense(better than some NATO members). Given the sad state of affairs, that 1.5% apparently isn't being spend very well.:)

I would like to give if I may a little context to this pretty awful Boko Haram thing. Until 2009 they were a non violent movement that was advocating a non western education for children. Listening to the radio I heard the following story. The then leader of Boko Haram (at that point a non-violent political organistation) was arrested by the authorities. A day or so later he was returned to his community,,,, as a corpse!

In short the authorities executed the leader of Boko Haram in cold blood.

Just for the record, I am no fan of Boko Haram, they are an awful piece of work, I am not a muslim, and I know if I was to meet up with them my fate as a westerner would be exceptionally grim. They kill and rape, torture etc,,, generally they are yuck, just putting that out there.

After the authorities executed the leader of boko haram, the second teir of Boko Haram took over, they were much more radical than the guy that was their before, and they started doing things that were pretty bad (ok,,, amazingly bad)

If you ask the question, why did the group come into being in the first place. Historically the first western education in Northern Nigeria was done by Christian missionaries. Of course the local populace was concerned, were missionaries focused on pure education, or were they attempting to convert their students to Christianity? I will let you figure out that one.Timeframe for this was not hundreds of years ago, this area of Nigeria was really first ruled by westerners relatively recently, roughly 150 to 50 years ago, well within living memory

The government in Nigeria is corrupt (pretty corrupt actually), scams abound. Transparency International rates Nigeria 27/100 (not good) and 136 out of 175 nations. They do a fraction better than Somalia 8/100 and 174th of 175. By comparison Botswana gets a quite respectable score of 63/100. There has been a lot written of collusion between rebels in the oil rich Niger delta and officials in the Nigerian government.

So, we can probably conclude that the government of Nigeria,,, is not really super flash. Hard to build good will to a nation state when those in charge of that nation state are most interested in enriching themselves. It is true that is a generalisation, however if anyone wants to pipe in and tell me how I have got this particular point all wrong, then please go for it.

So, a history of western education that was at times attempting to convert muslim
children to Christianity, a pretty woeful government that did little for the people, a fairly ineffective law and order presence, the execution of a political dissident, it seems to have been the spark,, and now it has all gone off.

The air force of Nigeria seems a fraction more suited to fighting nation states. They have 12 Chengdu F-7s (upgraded Chinese Mig 21s) of which only two are operational (good value for money?), a few alphajets and a few Let L-39s, is not going to be an amazingly effective against hundreds or thousands of infantry scattered over thousands and thousands of square miles.

It seems to me, have religious and cultural differences in a nation state, a government that at times seem to value their own self interest as number one, and the community a far second, the risk of bad things happening is high. We have seen this in South Sudan, in Chad, in Somalia, in CAF, in Zaire, Liberia, Libya, Rwanda, just to name a few in the last decade.

I think last year there was a time when there was not a single example of a nation state at war with another nation state. It seems thesedays the norm is more fighting insurgent groups, freedom fighters etc.

It all becomes a bit murky, if an insurgent group comes to power and becomes the government, do they automatically go from being bad guys to good guys? A couple months back an insurgent group over-ran the capital of Yemen, Saana. I think they have formed a coalition with the old government? Do they now go from being the bad guys,,, to kinda ok? or is more shades of grey? The more you look into it, the more of a headache I seem to get.

Just to repeat, I am no fan of Boko Haram, they kill, rape, murder. They would kill me in a heartbeat (as I am a westerner) given half a chance. What is perhaps not suprising is that it happened at all, maybe it was inevitable given the mix of poverty, poor government, corruption, cultural and religious differences.

I dont think expensive jets are going to work either (Nigeria wants Cessna Scorpion jets now). Seems a mix of trying to fix the corruption, maybe a degree of autonomy, a more accountable government combined with some sound counter insurgency operations by the military might fix it.

Nigeria's army has about 130,000 members, not very high as the population is closer to 175 million. Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa (I wonder if this includes Internet scams) and spends 1.5% of its GDP on defense(better than some NATO members). Given the sad state of affairs, that 1.5% apparently isn't being spend very well.:)

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

Having been there...it's not. They blow it on things like the NNS Aradu, when she barely works and makes it from yard period to yard period (to say nothing of having no major naval threat in the region). Some of their recent corvette/patrol craft acquisitions make more sense, but I can guarantee the maintenance money will disappear in people's pockets and they will never work.

My2Cents

It is a kleptocracy, so the money never gets down to the operational level. The government is also afraid of their military, so they want it weak and ineffective.

Now they are paying the price during an election, so take any pronouncements of government victories with a very large grain of salt.

koxinga

Burkina Faso, Mali and Guinea is on Niger's side now and Burkina Faso, Mali has deployed some assets (Super Tucanos) in Niger. Not that it will do any good against Nigeria's airforce, if they are involved.

Also, Niger's newly received TAI Hürkus-C light attack craft was also spotted.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Another Coup, now in Gabon. It is also aim to get rid of another Pro Western (Pro French more precise) President. This seems after some disputing the results of just finish election.
Back in the 1970s and 1980s the most popular South American past times was mounting coups. I wonder if the African continent have decided to take up this past time.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
in the 1970s and 1980s the most popular South American past times was mounting coups.
I believe both continent were neck in neck on the number of coup in that era, even from 60's. Afterall the African coup series was give strong demand for mercenaries group in the continent. This era afterall that give base for "Wild Geese" (damm love that movie).

It is just South America habits slow down, but not in Africa.