Future MBT "How would it look like"

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ah ok, I missunderstood you.

I expect that the remaining tank line units get the missile stocks if some bureaucracy blunder doesn't interfere with it.

It's not as one could use them for anything else.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The newer force structure is already in place. In fact given the overall reduction in armored units, there should easily be enough inventory to get around. I was wondering if you knew more specifically what the plans for the matter were?
Are they completely done with the force structure, right now I hear it is still under debate.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think they will be happy to be able to distribute the normal 5 missiles to every tank and that's it.

Even if they now have "too many" missiles I doubt that they add additional missiles to their basic loads.
As said before there are not that many situations where a tube launched missile is more usefull than a normal KE, HEAT or HE.
Agreed, direct fire projectiles are also alot quicker getting to a designated target, no need to track them on target.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah ok, I missunderstood you.

I expect that the remaining tank line units get the missile stocks if some bureaucracy blunder doesn't interfere with it.

It's not as one could use them for anything else.
Granted we're talking about Russia I see those blunders as more then likely, hence I was wondering if you had heard anything specific. I mean, hell, for ~6-7 years the 42nd MRD (a 100% contract soldiers unit, no conscripts) rode on T-62s, while shiny new T-72Bs and T-80UMs and BVs sat in warehouses to be activated with reserve units if WWIII broke out. It took a war in Georgia to see the new MRBs formed from the 42nd MRD to scrap their T-62s.

heavyaslead

Whatever the next gen tank looks like, it would logically be smaller format without compromising fire power, armor and mobility.

Perhaps a multi-guided 360 deg launcher of sorts would negate having to have a rotational turret, after all, only the projectile needs direction.