Foreign Interference in Canada

IHFP

It would appear that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been interfering in Canadian politics for quite a while. The CCP have been funding Minsters of Parliament, in an attempt to impulse election results across Canada. Quite recently Canadian media has been sounding the alarm of foreign interference, and Canadians are starting to pay attention. What does China want? Why Beijing meddles in Canadian politics | National Post

Our Prime Minister has appointed a rapporteur, to look into the matter of foreign interference. But I don’t know how effective our previous Governor General will be looking into the defence of Canadian democracy. Inside the imagined thoughts of special rapporteur David Johnston | National Post

Our Oceanic brothers and sisters have experience in such matters, and I’m curious to hear what people think are the most effective methods of curbing and defending against foreign interference. This issue isn't going anywhere and it would appear that Canadians are getting more fed up. Possible Chinese interference story affecting popularity of PM? | Watch News Videos Online (globalnews.ca)

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It would appear that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been interfering in Canadian politics for quite a while. The CCP have been funding Minsters of Parliament, in an attempt to impulse election results across Canada. Quite recently Canadian media has been sounding the alarm of foreign interference, and Canadians are starting to pay attention. What does China want? Why Beijing meddles in Canadian politics | National Post

Our Prime Minister has appointed a rapporteur, to look into the matter of foreign interference. But I don’t know how effective our previous Governor General will be looking into the defence of Canadian democracy. Inside the imagined thoughts of special rapporteur David Johnston | National Post

Our Oceanic brothers and sisters have experience in such matters, and I’m curious to hear what people think are the most effective methods of curbing and defending against foreign interference. This issue isn't going anywhere and it would appear that Canadians are getting more fed up. Possible Chinese interference story affecting popularity of PM? | Watch News Videos Online (globalnews.ca)
The first priority for curbing and defending against CCP interference is getting rid of junior. Second is a major reduction in China’s embassy and consulate staff.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The first priority for curbing and defending against CCP interference is getting rid of junior. Second is a major reduction in China’s embassy and consulate staff.
Keep the politics out of it.

The CCP use the United Front for its societal infiltration and propaganda. The United Front is also used to keep tabs on, control, and discipline PRC expats in foreign countries. The Australian govt introduced a law a couple of years ago aimed at constraining foreign influence in Australia. The CCP/PRC howled like an alley cat with its balls trapped in a live electric fence. It was one of the reasons why the CCP restricted trade access for Australian goods.

A really good insight into how the CCP works is Anne-Marie Brady's paper, Magic Weapons: China's political influence activities under Xi Jinping (it's a pdf file). She is a fluent Chinese speaker and international authority on the CCP. This is a follow up to it: Magic Weapons and Foreign Interference in New Zealand - how it started, how it’s going

IHFP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The CCP use the United Front for its societal infiltration and propaganda. The United Front is also used to keep tabs on, control, and discipline PRC expats in foreign countries. The Australian govt introduced a law a couple of years ago aimed at constraining foreign influence in Australia. The CCP/PRC howled like an alley cat with its balls trapped in a live electric fence. It was one of the reasons why the CCP restricted trade access for Australian goods.

A really good insight into how the CCP works is Anne-Marie Brady's paper, Magic Weapons: China's political influence activities under Xi Jinping (it's a pdf file).
Thank you for posting the papers. It took me a while to chew my way though the first one, but I found it to be valuable. From what I gather, and for folks who have not had the chance to read Doctor Bradys paper. The CCP is following a Leninist philosophy where a more powerful capitalist adversary can be defeated by taking sides within a local conflict. By taking sides in a local conflict "United Front" can develop soft power, or compel people to cater to the CCP’s interests.

Before your post I doubt I’ve ever heard of the “United Front”, and after reading Professor Bradys paper I’m surprised just how insidious their actions and objectives are. It would appear that “United Front” is a group that effects foreign entities to further the interests of the CCP’s propaganda wing. They have wide arching goals which include. Controlling PRC expatriates to further the interests of the CCP. Influencing foreign people, parties, and companies to align them with CCP interests. Developing plans to control networking and finance on an international scale. The paper then gives massive amounts of evidence on how the CCP has woven itself into the inner workings of New Zealand, with the help of “United Front”.

Finally Doctor Bradys talks about how Australia has responded to this infiltration, by enacting anti-foreign influence legislation, and is considering legislation blocking political monies from international actors.

These actions are good for maintaining democracy. But we are still left with a niggling idea. The fact that “United Front” exists and will try to divide the peoples of democratic countries by taking advantage of Chinese citizens, using companies to tow the CCP agenda and working on systems to ingrain CCP interests on an international scale.

I doubt the average person in Australia, Canada, or New Zealand is aware of the insidious ways that "United Front" is trying to control and manipulate them and their countries. Would "Public Safety Announcements" be a wake up call for the general population? And how can we protect PRC expatriates from the long arm of the CCP?

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One way to limit the United Front is to have a clamp down on foreign govt political organisations operating in your country. That's what the Australian anti-foreign influence legislation does, and the CCP/PRC really got all angry and upset about that legislation, so the Aussies hit a nerve. The illegal basing of PRC police stations in foreign countries was / is an attack on the host countries sovereignty. In NZ the NZ Herald has a Chinese language edition and that is censored along CCP guidelines, yet it is a NZ owned and based publication. That impacts upon NZ sovereignty.

Unfortunately NZ pollies (politicians) are to scared to enforce NZ laws on the United Front because of our dependence on our trade with the PRC. In recent times the NZ govt has told NZ exporters that they need to diversify their markets and be far less dependent upon the Chinese market. However most companies avoid doing the hard yards in changing markets and there is no law on the books for the govt to enforce its wishes.

IHFP

One way to limit the United Front is to have a clamp down on foreign govt political organisations operating in your country. That's what the Australian anti-foreign influence legislation does, and the CCP/PRC really got all angry and upset about that legislation, so the Aussies hit a nerve. The illegal basing of PRC police stations in foreign countries was / is an attack on the host countries sovereignty. In NZ the NZ Herald has a Chinese language edition and that is censored along CCP guidelines, yet it is a NZ owned and based publication. That impacts upon NZ sovereignty.

Unfortunately NZ pollies (politicians) are to scared to enforce NZ laws on the United Front because of our dependence on our trade with the PRC. In recent times the NZ govt has told NZ exporters that they need to diversify their markets and be far less dependent upon the Chinese market. However most companies avoid doing the hard yards in changing markets and there is no law on the books for the govt to enforce its wishes.
Thank you for pointing this out. I like your multi-pronged response to the CCPs meddling in foreign affairs, by removing the Carrot and the Stick as motivating factors from the CCP’s arsenal.
The Carrot - The “United Front’s” is going to have trouble convincing people, companies, and political institutions to tow the CCP line, if it doesn’t have the ability to legally incentivise foreign interference.
The Stick - The CCP is also going to have less power to conduct foreign interference, if domestic avenues of coercion/punishment such as illegitimate “police stations” are shut down. I sympathize with the ex-patriots of the PRC, who came to NZ, AU, CA, as an opportunity to live a more free life. Only to have the antics of the CCP follow them to their new homes.

Today I was listening to talk radio while driving, and pulled over when the station invited people to call in over foreign interference. So I did. I got onto the air talked about how this issue isn’t a Canadian issue but an international issue, that Australia started going down the path of anti-foreign interferance legislation, and about the point I started talking about “United Front” and Doctor Bradys I got hung up on. But I’m happy that I took the chance to shed some light on the situation.

Last edited:

IHFP

Foreign Interference defence in Canada has had a cash injection, with the 2023 federal budget.

- “Budget 2023 proposes to provide $48.9 million over three years on a cash basis, starting in 2023-24, to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to protect Canadians from harassment and intimidation, increase its investigative capacity, and more proactively engage with communities at greater risk of being targeted. “
-“Budget 2023 proposes to provide $13.5 million over five years, starting in 2023-24, and $3.1 million ongoing to Public Safety Canada to establish a National Counter-Foreign Interference Office.“

Its good to see the RCMP considering a new revenue stream. I interpret this as a nudge from the federal government that internal defence needs to put foreign interference higher on the priority list. It would appear that internal defence isn’t left to their own devices with the addition of a dedicated “National Counter-Foreign Interference Office” (NCFIO).

The “United Front” will almost undoubtedly consider the NCFIO an enemy. I think its reasonable to expect that the NCFIO will be intencely criticized, and attacked by media, individuals, and organizations, that are under the influence of “United Front”.

I wonder what is the best way to defend the NCFIO, from the “United Front”?

(“Budget 2023 A Made-in-Canada Plan: Strong Middle Class, Affordable Economy, Healthy Future” - Chapter 5: Canada’s Leadership in the World | Budget 2023, Table of contents | Budget 2023 (canada.ca)”)

Note: Please consider looking at the Canadian Federal Budget 2023 link above, if your curious about new Canadian, and
Ukrainian defence expenditures that are outside the constraints of this thread.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Foreign Interference defence in Canada has had a cash injection, with the 2023 federal budget.

- “Budget 2023 proposes to provide $48.9 million over three years on a cash basis, starting in 2023-24, to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to protect Canadians from harassment and intimidation, increase its investigative capacity, and more proactively engage with communities at greater risk of being targeted. “
-“Budget 2023 proposes to provide $13.5 million over five years, starting in 2023-24, and $3.1 million ongoing to Public Safety Canada to establish a National Counter-Foreign Interference Office.“

Its good to see the RCMP considering a new revenue stream. I interpret this as a nudge from the federal government that internal defence needs to put foreign interference higher on the priority list. It would appear that internal defence isn’t left to their own devices with the addition of a dedicated “National Counter-Foreign Interference Office” (NCFIO).

The “United Front” will almost undoubtedly consider the NCFIO an enemy. I think its reasonable to expect that the NCFIO will be intencely criticized, and attacked by media, individuals, and organizations, that are under the influence of “United Front”.

I wonder what is the best way to defend the NCFIO, from the “United Front”?

(“Budget 2023 A Made-in-Canada Plan: Strong Middle Class, Affordable Economy, Healthy Future” - Chapter 5: Canada’s Leadership in the World | Budget 2023, Table of contents | Budget 2023 (canada.ca)”)

Note: Please consider looking at the Canadian Federal Budget 2023 link above, if your curious about new Canadian, and
Ukrainian defence expenditures that are outside the constraints of this thread.
So roughly $50 million to counter CCP influence, I dare say the CCP likely committed much more money, better than nothing I suppose.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So roughly $50 million to counter CCP influence, I dare say the CCP likely committed much more money, better than nothing I suppose.
At least you have laws about, and an agency to deal with foreign interference.

IHFP

In my last post I asked the question “I wonder what is the best way to defend the NCFIO” from the “United Front”. It would appear that the 2023 budget gets the anti-foreign interference ball rolling faster with a dedicated office, and incentive for internal defence.

Although it might seem Sisyphean to keep momentum with the budget that the “United Front” has access too.
I know when it comes to Canadian defence it can seem daunting, but I want you to know that your not alone. There are tons of other people who want to see Canada defended. For instance our brothers and sisters in AU, and NZ. We have allies which is a major moral boost.

At least you have laws about, and an agency to deal with foreign interference.
Thanks for pointing this out, I want to build on the major points your focused on.

The NCFIO has an opportunity to be strategically placed (New counter-interference office must answer to Parliament, not a ministry: former CSIS officer). The (NCFIO) that can research and develop information for CSIS, parliament, the RCMP and media. The government on both sides of the table is starting to bear the weight of foreign interference. We have an effective local defence institution in the form of the RCMP, an educated, trained and capable department, that is now benefiting from new funding with respect to anti-foreign interference (Foreign Actor Interference | Royal Canadian Mounted Police . Right now the Canadian news agencies have bared teeth and hair standing on end, over foreign interference, and with perhaps with good reasons as this might not only be a hot story but also a threat to journalistic integrity.

This means that there is a good chance the NCFIO will have have legs to stand on, and teeth with which to bite. It will probably have new legislation after the review of the rapporteur, which with to lay charges. It will have the long arm and hopefully protection of the RCMP, which will benefit from anti-foreign interference funding. A media that is hungry to run stories about foreign interference. And an intelligence agency (CSIS) that may need and provide information on foreign interference. Also more people are hopefully waking up to the fact that this is an international issue. We are learning allot from the Australians and New Zealanders, and I wouldn't be supprised if they were keeping on eye on us too. These instatutions in conjunction with new legislation, will hopefully defend the NCFIO.

Last edited:

IHFP

Ways to defend "NCFIO" Part: 2.

There is too much noise in Canadian media regarding Foreign Interference. As such I want to speak concisely, because its easy to get disoriented.

“United Front” Foreign Interference in Canada is an attack on democracy and sovereignty. As such its important to use Anti Foreign Interference tools to defend Canadian democracy and sovereignty from the “United Front”. These tools are only as effective as the government officials using them. If the government officials are subverted or compromised then the tools are less/not effective. Therefore the its imperative that Canada’s new Anti Foreign Interference organization ("NCFIO") reports to the House of Commons, and refrain from some branch of the government that can be subverted or compromised. New counter-interference office must answer to Parliament, not a ministry: former CSIS officer.

Someone might ask, how bad is foreign interference in Canada. That is up for debate, but here are some facts.
- The Canadian Prime Minister has been privy to foreign interference reports for years Trudeau was briefed at least 5 times on foreign interference since 2021: docs.
- After the Foreign Interference story blew up in the news, the “NCFIO” was funded in 2023. Chapter 5: Canada’s Leadership in the World | Budget 2023.
- “CSIS” the security agency of Canada has been leaking Foreign Interference information. COMMENTARY: The CSIS hunt for interference leakers helps Trudeau but harms democracy | Globalnews.ca.

The “NCFIO” needs report to the House of Commons. Pierre Poilievre says Trudeau has lost 'confidence' of intelligence community over Chinese election scandal - LifeSite.

Last edited: