First Sukhoi Su-35 Aircraft for Venezuela

Scorpion82

Thank you, I think the Russian Air Force is more concerned about getting the PAK-FA(T-50) into service to replace the Mig-29 and SU-27 as a medium size jet comparable to the American F-35 Lighting II. The T-50 will be a much better jet anyway since it should have some stealth capability. Now I know the SU-34 will replace the SU-24, but what about the fate of the SU-25 and SU-33?
Well the T-50 will be more F-22 class, meaning a large aircraft optimised for aircombat rather than a relative compact small aircraft optimised for multirole operations with emphasis placed on strike capabilities. The Su-25 is meant to be replaced by the Su-34 as well. The new Su-35 might be introduced into the RuAF as well in small numbers to complement the upgraded aircraft or maybe in form of the Su-27SM2 (upgrading additional baseline Su-27). It is said that a navalised T-50 might be develope which could at least theroetically replace the Su-33 as well.

tphuang

Super Moderator
Here is a source, it says the T-50 will be in between the size of the F-35 and F-22 and be comparable to the F-35 when it comes to capability. Like the F-35 the T-50 will be a multi-role fighter and will have a air superiority role.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/pak-fa.htm
They've just settled on the design recently I think. I doubt people are going to know how big it is exactly until more information comes out. Until then, most reports are just based on previous speculation.

F-15 Eagle

They've just settled on the design recently I think. I doubt people are going to know how big it is exactly until more information comes out. Until then, most reports are just based on previous speculation.
True, for now anyway I'm going to assume it will be comparable to the F-22 and F-35 until more details come out, but like the F-22 and F-35 the PAK-FA will take 15-20 years to develop so it wont be in service any time soon.

Last edited:

Chrom

True, for now anyway I'm going to assume it will be comparable to the F-22 and F-35 until more details come out, but like the F-22 and F-35 the PAK-FA will take 15-20 years to develop so it wont be in service any time soon.
2012 for first production aircraft and 2015 for IOC sounds resonable.

Scorpion82

2012 for first production aircraft and 2015 for IOC sounds resonable.
When the first aircraft will not fly before 2009 or even 2010? I doubt that we'll see that anytime soon. 2015 sounds more realistic for a first production aircraft and IOC probably not before 2018 or even later.

F-15 Eagle

When the first aircraft will not fly before 2009 or even 2010? I doubt that we'll see that anytime soon. 2015 sounds more realistic for a first production aircraft and IOC probably not before 2018 or even later.
We will just have to wait and see how long it takes. Based on what I saw on the F-22 and F-35 programs it will take several years to get the PAK-FA in service, maybe 15-20 years from now in the best case scenario.

Scorpion82

We will just have to wait and see how long it takes. Based on what I saw on the F-22 and F-35 programs it will take several years to get the PAK-FA in service, maybe 15-20 years from now in the best case scenario.
I don't think it will take some 15-20 years from now more 10 to 15 until the aircraft enters service and reaches IOC. You must take into account that a lot of experience was already gained with the Su-47 and a couple of different technologies projected for the Su-47 and MiG MFI.

F-15 Eagle

I don't think it will take some 15-20 years from now more 10 to 15 until the aircraft enters service and reaches IOC. You must take into account that a lot of experience was already gained with the Su-47 and a couple of different technologies projected for the Su-47 and MiG MFI.
Keep in mind with modern weapons systems, nothing ever goes as plained, there have always and always will be cost blows outs and delays especially with the lean budget of only around $35 billion that Russia spends on defense. The first flight has already been delayed from 2008 to 2009 and I highly doubt it will enter service in 2012, more like 2020 for the PAK-FA.

ROCK45

Venezuela

Venezuela has a bunch of them but I wonder why not a follow up order yet? I think 24 isn't enough more should have been ordered. I have a question about Venezuela when the US cut off there parts, service, etc, did France ever make a pitch? I remember reading somewhere that French techs and personnel would come and service there Mirage 5s I think, I wonder why Mirage 2000s or even 2000-5s weren't offered. The French sold a fair amount of fighters in South America I wonder if offers were made?

The other question I had was did Venezuela signed contracts for Yak-130s too? If I'm not mistaken I think only Algeria sign for a number of them. If I'm wrong please correct me. I find trainers interesting I like the L-15 if it can get to the market first and used by the Chinese Air Force themselves in numbers, I think it has a good chance. It's strange I don't know much about the aircraft I can just see it a light-combat aircraft.

swerve

Super Moderator
Venezuela has a bunch of them but I wonder why not a follow up order yet? I think 24 isn't enough more should have been ordered. I have a question about Venezuela when the US cut off there parts, service, etc, did France ever make a pitch? I remember reading somewhere that French techs and personnel would come and service there Mirage 5s I think, I wonder why Mirage 2000s or even 2000-5s weren't offered. The French sold a fair amount of fighters in South America I wonder if offers were made? ....
The AdlA was unhappy about 12 Mirage 2000C being sold to Brazil, where they were a sweetener for a possible future Rafale sale. They don't have any to spare at the moment. Mirage 2000-5 is not available for sale. No operator except Qatar wants to sell any of what they have, Qatar won't offend the USA, & the production line is closed.

Also, although the French don't care much about US opinion, & their combat aircraft don't have US components which can be embargoed, they might think that selling top-drawer kit to Venezuela just when it gets stroppy with the USA is going a little too far.

contedicavour

The AdlA was unhappy about 12 Mirage 2000C being sold to Brazil, where they were a sweetener for a possible future Rafale sale. They don't have any to spare at the moment. Mirage 2000-5 is not available for sale. No operator except Qatar wants to sell any of what they have, Qatar won't offend the USA, & the production line is closed.

Also, although the French don't care much about US opinion, & their combat aircraft don't have US components which can be embargoed, they might think that selling top-drawer kit to Venezuela just when it gets stroppy with the USA is going a little too far.
Unless Chavez manages to free hostage Bettencourt from the Colombian FARC, in which case Sarkozy would get a huge boost in public opinion support and might even sell Mirages to Venezuela :p: :D

Bad jokes aside, with Sarkozy in power I don't expect any such offensive behaviour towards the US.

cheers