1. This thread was created to avoid banning members in the RAN thread and to give limited space for logical and reasoned expressions of a member’s suggestions on how to grow the RAN’s Surface Ships & LHDs only. This expectation has not been met.1. The QUALITY of discussion on the RAN has dropped to the point that there is a mass exodus of knowledgeable members from the thread.
2. This cannot be good, in the long run for the forum. As a compromise, we propose the fantasy discussions be directed here, until the Australian Government or the RAN has news on changes. In the meantime, you are all welcome to indulge here, and discuss matters related to RAN Surface Ships & LHDs only.
3. All discussions on carriers moved to Fantasy RAN thread (Carriers only). In a near peer war, any proposed RAN carrier automatically become a high value target — for US super carriers to survive, even they need to operate in 3s in shifts. For the USN, if continuous operations is required, in their CONOPS, each carrier only conducts flight operations from 12 hours. Not sure how a proposed Australian baby carrier would really survive.
4. The Mods have created 2 threads on submarines, including one related to RAN Discussions on SSNs only, here and the other in Naval Ship & Submarine Propulsion Systems, here — which are still open for discussion at this time.
5. All other RAN discussions can be found in the original mother thread.
2. Worse than that, the Moderators have in the past provided clear guidance on what not to do. That is — not to have circular discussions on RAN carriers — but that seems to been ignored. We have had multiple attempts in the past where this fantasy type of discussion was allowed. What has occurred in the past is not at all encouraging. All these past threads are now closed because they became a trash bin of bad ideas.
3. This ‘fantasy’ thread is on its last legs. If there is no improvement in the quality of the discussions here, it will be closed in about 6 to 7 days, unless there is a huge improvement in the quality of ideas.
4. In the meantime, until 11 Oct 2021 (the proposed use by date of this thread), there will be:
(i) proper justification for the incremental steps RAN needs to take, if there is to be a proposed increase in surface combatants by any member. The onus is on the proposer to discuss this over at least 3 full length posts, on:
(a) the estimated cost to acquire such capability and its CONOPS;
(b) the schools pipeline; and
(c) sea-shore mix for sustainment (as new ships need to adhere to the raise, train and sustain cycle);
(ii) NO MORE discussions on RAN aircraft carriers — anyone already warned and who tries to discuss this here again will be banned for a month — if you want to discuss that (and avoid a ban, you can elect to start a new ‘fantasy’ thread and we will allow it to be open for a month before locking it); and
(iii) NO STUPID attempts at suggesting a ADF rocket force. Anyone who tries to discuss this will be banned for a year. We had an Indonesian member that suggested a rocket/missile force for the TNI, as part of his plan to build an invasion force for Singapore, and he was eventually banned.