Falklands tensions

exPrivate

Hi, guys! I`m new here and after a month of reading I decided to join this fine forum. As a matter of fact I was looking exactly for a thread on the current situation on the Falklands.
I think Hagues is not a liar, because the ban is only on vessels flying the "ïllegal" Falklands flag and not the Red Ensign or any other national flag.
Please forgive my ignorance, but I think now is the right time to fully integrate the Falklands into the UK, not the status of BOT.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi, guys! I`m new here and after a month of reading I decided to join this fine forum. As a matter of fact I was looking exactly for a thread on the current situation on the Falklands.
I think Hagues is not a liar, because the ban is only on vessels flying the "ïllegal" Falklands flag and not the Red Ensign or any other national flag.
Please forgive my ignorance, but I think now is the right time to fully integrate the Falklands into the UK, not the status of BOT.
Hi, why not introduce yourself in the new members thread :) + according to your profile you say you have served in the military, if that is the case if you send the relevant information to a mod your name will be a special colour to indicate this.

True, it does seem like Argentina has answered a question to which Hague didn't even make. They said 'can't dock ships with Falklands flag', Hague says 'But its fine with the Ensign' then Argentina says 'No, NOT the Falklands flag!' . . riiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

exPrivate

Probably the Argies have some problems with the complicated British naval flags system. ;)

Off: I did introduce myself but after my first post, and am sorry for this reply here.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably the Argies have some problems with the complicated British naval flags system. ;)

Off: I did introduce myself but after my first post, and am sorry for this reply here.
No need to apologise, you'll learn. I was a lurker for around 6 months before i joined so :)

In real terms, it means little. It just means they can simply replace the Falklands flag with the Red Ensign and they are allowed access to ports like just before. The more i've learnt about this situation and the actual 'damage' it would cause, it simply just looks like a 'publicity stunt' per se by Argentina to send a global message that they still contest the Falklands islands and they still have some support in the region.

exPrivate

Well, I suppose, the wounds from a lost war still hurt after 30 years and this year they will even more. This ban is like a medicine, but may turn out to be a drug and not a pain killer. :argue

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I suppose, the wounds from a lost war still hurt after 30 years and this year they will even more. This ban is like a medicine, but may turn out to be a drug and not a pain killer. :argue
Either way, its done little in their favour on world opinion, then again a fair of their credibility of peaceful negotiations ended 30 years ago.

Whatever they may be thinking, they can't do anything about the sovereignty over the Falklands as they have no political leg to stand on. It'd be military/economical/political suicide if they tried anything like what they've done before.

Sampanviking

Banned Member
Either way, its done little in their favour on world opinion, then again a fair of their credibility of peaceful negotiations ended 30 years ago.

Whatever they may be thinking, they can't do anything about the sovereignty over the Falklands as they have no political leg to stand on. It'd be military/economical/political suicide if they tried anything like what they've done before.
You miss the point Rob as the South Americans have already done all they need to do; present a united face to the world and let the Islanders know that opportunity from the mainland will be limited.

That may not have been much of a threat if delivered thirty years ago, but this is not thirty years ago,its today and the UK is losing position while the Mainland grows apace and develops.
All South America needs to do is frustrate development plans for exploration and exploitation of South Atlantic Energy deposits during the next few decades, while it steps up the ladder and forces the Islands to reconsider where their best interests lie. Almost; you could say, a form of Taiwan light!

exPrivate

What`s been done 30 years ago, concerning credibility in negotiations, is in the past allready. Modern Argentina is a democracy with a lot of problems, of course, but this is in their favour.
Diplomatic unity in the Mercosur region will not lead to anything more in my opinion. And the UK has several options to strengthen its positions in the South Atlantic. Some have been pointed out - building a better airstrip at Ascension island, declaring the Maritime protection zone, maybe improving situation in St. Helena and Tristan da Cunha, but the ultimate is a total incorporation of the islands into the UK. Sending a couple of RN ships on some training will show that Britain really means business, especially as I have heard the oil and gas drilling is promising.

Last edited:

exPrivate

Did I get that right, the NSC has met yesterday to discuss the defence of the Falklands or just to commemorate the 30 years? They are a bit too early for the second imo.
But PM`s accusation about Argentinian colonialism really made my day. :dance
Unfortunately I cannot still post links but I got that from BBC.
Probably I have to spam more.:hul

the concerned

I keep hearing alot about how thesesouth american countries have teamed withargentina the one to worry about is venezuala chavez has said he would provide support for argentina. but at the same time i know we have gone through some drasstic cuts but i think the british forces are more tham capable of defending the falklands . i mean could someone tell me how long would it take to use the c-17 globemasters to deploy a battery of AS-90's to the islands which would certainly cause argetine military commanders a headache

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep hearing alot about how thesesouth american countries have teamed withargentina the one to worry about is venezuala chavez has said he would provide support for argentina. but at the same time i know we have gone through some drasstic cuts but i think the british forces are more tham capable of defending the falklands . i mean could someone tell me how long would it take to use the c-17 globemasters to deploy a battery of AS-90's to the islands which would certainly cause argetine military commanders a headache
I'd imagine even without AS-90s on the islands military commanders already have a pretty nasty headache.

Palnatoke

Banned Member
You miss the point Rob as the South Americans have already done all they need to do; present a united face to the world and let the Islanders know that opportunity from the mainland will be limited.

That may not have been much of a threat if delivered thirty years ago, but this is not thirty years ago,its today and the UK is losing position while the Mainland grows apace and develops.
All South America needs to do is frustrate development plans for exploration and exploitation of South Atlantic Energy deposits during the next few decades, while it steps up the ladder and forces the Islands to reconsider where their best interests lie. Almost; you could say, a form of Taiwan light!
Except that the islanders are british, and if you think money is going to change that, you don't know that breed very well.

gazzzwp

Can anyone tell me please if the T45 class is equipped with anti- ship missiles? All I can find is reference to surface to air missiles, presumably anti aircraft missiles and the CIWS as well as conventional artillery. They are apparently equipped with provision for Tomahawks but not fitted.

Any info appreciated.

G

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone tell me please if the T45 class is equipped with anti- ship missiles? All I can find is reference to surface to air missiles, presumably anti aircraft missiles and the CIWS as well as conventional artillery. They are apparently equipped with provision for Tomahawks but not fitted.

Any info appreciated.

G
Fitted for, but not with 2 x quad Harpoon launchers

48x Sea Viper
2x Phalanx (I think)
2x 30mm
1x 4.5in gun

Then Lynx/Merlin armed with Sea Skua anti ship missiles/Stingray torpedos or only stingrays respectively

STURM

i mean could someone tell me how long would it take to use the c-17 globemasters to deploy a battery of AS-90's to the islands which would certainly cause argetine military commanders a headache
The main headache for the Argentines, assuming they take the Falklands again, would be in ensuring they kept their forces there supplied. The return of even a couple of RN SSNs to the waters around the Falklands would be a big problem for the Argentines.

Then Lynx/Merlin armed with Sea Skua anti ship missiles/Stingray torpedos or only stingrays respectively
I was under the impression that only the Lynx and not the Merlin was armed with Sea Skuas.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was under the impression that only the Lynx and not the Merlin was armed with Sea Skuas.
Yeah i meant that and worded it badly, i was trying to get across that the Lynx carried Sea Skuas/Stingrays whereas the Merlin just carried more Stingrays and not Sea Skuas.

Reading it back, it was a bit ambiguous, my apologies.

STURM

Yeah i meant that and worded it badly, i was trying to get across that the Lynx carried Sea Skuas/Stingrays whereas the Merlin just carried more Stingrays and not Sea Skuas.

Reading it back, it was a bit ambiguous, my apologies.
No worries. Was there any particular reason that the RN decided not to integrate any missiles to it's Merlins?

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
No worries. Was there any particular reason that the RN decided not to integrate any missiles to it's Merlins?
I've just had a quick look about the Web, plenty of references saying it can't carry it but the only reason i've heard why not is this

It has two hard points for weapon carriers, on which the HM Mk1 model can carry four Sting Ray torpedoes or Mk 11 Mod 3 depth charges, though at present cannot use the Sea Skua missile as no one has funded the integration and test firing
UK Armed Forces Commentary: The Merlin family in UK service

However it's written from a blogger so naturally one can never be 100% sure, but it does sound about right for the Royal Navy. After all I guess IIRC isn't the Merlins party piece being a really effective ASW platform? I guess people thought it wasn't neccesary seeming as the Lynx can operate them and its primary function is ASW

STURM

I guess people thought it wasn't neccesary seeming as the Lynx can operate them and its primary function is ASW
That would mean that if the RN were to find itself again in a situation like in the 1st Gulf War, the Bubiyan Channel, it would be the Lynxs that would be tasked with taking out littoral surface targets. Only problem here is that given the Sea Skuas range, it would be risky, if the targets were armed with 3rd generation MANPADS. Then again, if I'm not mistaken, the Sea Skua is meant to be replaced by an IR guided missile, to be operated by the Wild Cat.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would mean that if the RN were to find itself again in a situation like in the 1st Gulf War, the Bubiyan Channel, it would be the Lynxs that would be tasked with taking out littoral surface targets. Only problem here is that given the Sea Skuas range, it would be risky, if the targets were armed with 3rd generation MANPADS. Then again, if I'm not mistaken, the Sea Skua is meant to be replaced by an IR guided missile, to be operated by the Wild Cat.
True, which explains why (as you alluded too) MBDA have been contracted (by the UK and France) in the FASGW(H) - Future Anti-Surface Guided Weapon (Heavy) - program. It's intended to replace Sea Skua (one should note the intent to mount the weapon on the Lynx and still not the Merlin)

According to MBDA, its been required to be able to sink FAC in the 50-500 tonne range.

Missile systems, defence systems - MBDA missiles
http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagallery/files/FASGW-ANL_background.pdf