F/A-22: To Fly High or Get its Wings Clipped

funtz

an unfair advantage,

well the lives of the USAF pilots this machine will be able to save(no matter how many), will make this a much needed advantage for the people USA,

it will be better if they can get the pilots out of the combat aircraft altogether. As for the argument that a technology this superior will turn USA into a power hungry nation ready to attack on the slightest pretext, well they already are :hehe

On a much serious tone USA will use military action anyways if she feels threatened.

Last edited:

XaNDeR

Stealth is a very good thiing but there is many anti stealth tehnology going on faster than stealth is developing and if it keeps at this rate then stealth will not be as usefull as it is , also don't forget that stealth only lowers the radar cross section it doesn't make the aircraft trully stealth, hence it has to be used in night so the opponent cannon see the aircraft.

Ozzy Blizzard

an unfair advantage,

well the lives of the USAF pilots this machine will be able to save(no matter how many), will make this a much needed advantage for the people USA,

it will be better if they can get the pilots out of the combat aircraft altogether. As for the argument that a technology this superior will turn USA into a power hungry nation ready to attack on the slightest pretext, well they already are :hehe

On a much serious tone USA will use military action anyways if she feels threatened.
The point of this thread wasnt that the fighter's technology itsef is an "unfair advantage", this isnt a sport after all. The point is that the F22 was given an unfair advantage in training scenario's as far as profiles were concerned. The odds were stacked in the platforms favor in training scenario's, like enemy tactics, supporting platforms, altitude ext ext. I think what the author was getting at was whether ther was limited training value in giving the F22 an unfair advantage in these scenario's, over and above the platforms generic capabilities. Perhaps they should have made it harder, the F22 wont allways be facing half assed air threats.

XANDER said:
Stealth is a very good thiing but there is many anti stealth tehnology going on faster than stealth is developing and if it keeps at this rate then stealth will not be as usefull as it is , also don't forget that stealth only lowers the radar cross section it doesn't make the aircraft trully stealth, hence it has to be used in night so the opponent cannon see the aircraft.
Which anti stealth technology do you mean???? lower frequency radar??? Advanced IRST???? Both systems have their problems, and even if they do allow a platform to detect and target LO platforms, it will be hard to compare to the ability of advanced AESA's like the APG 77.

Anyway the F22 can pretty much out perform anything in the air anyway, with no stealth.

A

Aussie Digger

Really. Like what? Which anti-stealth technologies are developing faster than "stealth" itself?

The LO reduction measures on stealth aircraft go BEYOND simple radar cross section measures.

They include IR reduction measures and emissions control measures (LPI radar etc). None of the counters show any promise of making "stealth" "less useful" than what it currently is.

Both the F-22 and F-35 are the only "full stealth" fighter aircraft in existence and both will be used in all weather conditions, day and night.

merocaine

Can the F-35 be considered to have all aspect Stealth? I though IR reduction measures were significatly less advanced than in the F-22. Just curious :)

Totoro

What do you mean by 'all aspect stealth'? To be almost undetectable to the enemy by any means? Such a thing does not exist. Level of Raptor's radar stealth depends on the many variables. Level of IR stealth depends on its own set of variables. There are always levels in the game. Like, raptor is probably harder to detect with radar from the front than from the back. Raptor is harder to detect with short wave radars than with long wave radars. Raptor is harder to detect by IR search systems from the front than from the back. And so on. All of these statements are valid for f-35 as well, only the starting levels are probably different. f-35 is easier to detect than f-22. But there may be situations where raptor will be detected first. Maybe f-35 will be harder to detect with an IRST from the front than f-22 will be from the back. Generated thrust at the moment of detectiong could certainly play a big role in such a comparison.

XaNDeR

Ever heard of S-400 ? Or new Europe pirate optical sensor?
F-22 small RCS that is often mention validates only when measured against plaine that is aproching from same height and in line. Every other aspect ( angle /height) changes (increases) its RCS. Further its RAM coatings is designd to absorb only narow spectrum of frequencies not all. It has EM leckage even if he turns off the radar etc. Similar story goes with B-2.
The trick is in the sensor fusing. Combinig all pasive + active sensors and sharing data over integrated structure ensures no Stealth will pass undetected.
AWACS can illuminate the target and send information to nearby Anti air defence and guide missiles.
For example S-400 radar can track tragets similar to a little coin from 180 kms.
The tactics may also include launching Multiple Missile..one goes faster and flies higher with active Radar seeker on-line..while Others remains TVM one target picked..the "lead" missile will "illuminate" the target and feed it to Command post which later order the "Subordinate" missiles to Strike
oh and if F-22's are guided by AWACS..the F-22 may deactivate its AESA Radar to increase Stealth Factor but may emit Datalink (usually X Band) which can be picked by Kolchuga ESM
I heard Kolchuga ESM is a Part of S-400 system

A

Aussie Digger

Yes and PIRATE is an IRST system, technology that has existed a long time.

Tell you what. If you think targetting with an IRST is a valid defence against enemy aircraft by itself, go outside your house and have a look around through a drinking straw. What's your FOV like then? Because that is what attempting to scan an entire airspace with an IRST is like from all reports.

Fact is, IRST needs to be cued by a radar sensor because it is ill-suited to volume searches of airspace. It is also massively range limited compared to a radar and maximum detection ranges are in the 40k range or so. Quite a bit shorter than modern A2A radar systems...

F-22 small RCS that is often mention validates only when measured against plaine that is aproching from same height and in line. Every other aspect ( angle /height) changes (increases) its RCS. Further its RAM coatings is designd to absorb only narow spectrum of frequencies not all. It has EM leckage even if he turns off the radar etc. Similar story goes with B-2.
No. The F-22 in particular is designed with "all aspect stealth" of a magnitude greater than any previous "stealth" aircraft. The F-35 likewise is stated to have a lower RCS than either F-117 or B-2 as well and only a fraction larger than the F-22.

These aircraft are not "treated" with RAM coatings. They are designed and shaped from day 1 to observe and scatter incoming radar system. It is not a case where a "standard" aircraft design has been given RCS reduction measures.

The trick is in the sensor fusing. Combinig all pasive + active sensors and sharing data over integrated structure ensures no Stealth will pass undetected.
These aircraft don't have "cloaking shields" and are not invisible. They are designed to be impossible to target except when they are so close to a threat that they can employ their own weapons.

Detection is irrelevent if you can't target the aircraft.

AWACS can illuminate the target and send information to nearby Anti air defence and guide missiles.
For example S-400 radar can track tragets similar to a little coin from 180 kms.
Wow. At 55,000 plus feet too... Don't forget about the curvature of the Earth my friend.

Fact is the tiny little radar in a missile system is going to be have to be extremely close to these aircraft to be able to target them.

The tactics may also include launching Multiple Missile..one goes faster and flies higher with active Radar seeker on-line..while Others remains TVM one target picked..the "lead" missile will "illuminate" the target and feed it to Command post which later order the "Subordinate" missiles to Strike
oh and if F-22's are guided by AWACS..the F-22 may deactivate its AESA Radar to increase Stealth Factor but may emit Datalink (usually X Band) which can be picked by Kolchuga ESM
Clever aren't you. Are you aware that the F-22 doesn't HAVE a data-link capable of transmitting?

Totoro

I agree with aussie digger on good deal of things so i will comment on just those several things i do not agree with.

IRST has the mentioned limitations but it doesn't NEED to be cued by radar. Yes, it would certainly speed up the process if it was. But in absence of a radar, depending on the tech limits of the system itself - its off bore cabability, turning speed of main gymbal, zoom ability, software, etc - it can search the skies in front of it on its own. Most of IRSTs may have narrower field of vision than a radar but it certainly doesn't have to be a straw like hole. Bigger problem would be time, as it would take several seconds or even tens of seconds to properly scan a large portion of the sky in front of the plane. Such amount of time could but might not be there on pilot's disposal in a battle.

Once again, all aspect stealth is a matter of degree. and it is very interesting to follow the quotes about radar stealth of raptor and lightning in the media in the last 15 or so years. When f22 first came out it was 'almost as stealthy as f-117'. Then somehow it such claims turned to 'its somewhere between f-117 and b-2' in radar stealth. Then lately i've been hearing fanboys proclaim it bests even b-2 in radar stealth. But i must confess i've never up to this point heard even f-35 beating b-2. So, does that prove us anything? No. Only the fact that NO ONE knows. So could we please stay off the X has XY of RCS statements being pulled out of articles which themselves were pulled out of someone's text deleted? If we must, lets use USAFs claims about marble sized and golfball sized RCSs for f22 and f35 respectively, even though those too could be highly suspicious and they're far from conclusive as we've no idea under what circumstances such measurements were done.

A question - while f22 doesnt have a link16 transmitter, doesnt it employ its own intraflight send and recieve datalink to be used between several f22s flying together?

Mod edit: Please watch the language, there are other ways to express the same sentiment.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzy Blizzard

Tell you what. If you think targetting with an IRST is a valid defence against enemy aircraft by itself, go outside your house and have a look around through a drinking straw. What's your FOV like then? Because that is what attempting to scan an entire airspace with an IRST is like from all reports.

Fact is, IRST needs to be cued by a radar sensor because it is ill-suited to volume searches of airspace. It is also massively range limited compared to a radar and maximum detection ranges are in the 40k range or so. Quite a bit shorter than modern A2A radar systems...
It can be cued by ESM rather than radar...

But your right even with advanced IRST systems that are set to have much larger detection ranges, they pale in comparison to advanced AESA's like the APG 77 in terms of detection, track and therefore engagement range.

And ESM cued IRST and BVR IR missile shots can be countered by networking anyway. The launch platform can fire off somenone elses radar while staying emissions cold. The ESM cant cue anything if there are no emittions to detect.

No. The F-22 in particular is designed with "all aspect stealth" of a magnitude greater than any previous "stealth" aircraft. The F-35 likewise is stated to have a lower RCS than either F-117 or B-2 as well and only a fraction larger than the F-22.
But the RCS reduction is greater in the frontal aspect. If you pointed your radar at the "keel" of an F22 the detection range would likely be much higher than at a head on aspect. Same thing goes for directly behind the aircraft because you get a return out of the engine. However this doesnt mean that unless an F22 pointing at your radar its stealth would be useless, or even compromised in a major way. The only time I see this as being a major problem is if the radar hit a surface at a 90 degree angle. I remember a saying i heard once, "stealth is 20% technology and 80% tactics", although that ratio might have changed some with the implemetation of new platofrms. i remember reading an interview with the Co of the 1st fighter wing USAF about the F22. he stated that unless he did something stupid, he could detect, enguage and kill all comers in BVR combat without being detected. But he did stress not doing something stupid...

As far as the F22 having afar lower RCS than any previous aircraft i'm slightly scheptical. It is stated to have a smaller RCS than the F117 with an order of magnitude lower time per flight hour for stealth maintinance. But i would assume that it was in the ballpark of a B2, probably a tad less. Remember the whole design practicaly of the B2 was based arround taking a payload and makeing it as stealthy as possible. The designers didnt have to compromise on any RCS reduction measures in order to make high classic performance goals. The F35 is even more "comprimised" (i dont know what other word to say allthough i know people will take that the wrong way) because it is designed to be both affordable and have a much smaller basing footprint and stealth maintinance requirements than the F22 which has much smaller requirements than the F117 (which is a big achievement, stealth for the masses if you will). The only reason i could see the F22 or F35 having a smaller RCS than a B2 is because the B2 is 4~5 times larger than either platform, shows how impressive that platform really is, and with a $800M+ price tag you can see why.

These aircraft are not "treated" with RAM coatings. They are designed and shaped from day 1 to observe and scatter incoming radar system. It is not a case where a "standard" aircraft design has been given RCS reduction measures.
Your right there is alot more to all aspect LO than what they're painted with, thats about as far as the russians have got with working stealth i suspect, "stealth in a bottle". :lol3

These aircraft don't have "cloaking shields" and are not invisible. They are designed to be impossible to target except when they are so close to a threat that they can employ their own weapons.
Right, its just part of information dominance. LO doesnt make you invincible and it doesnt win the war for you. What it does do is give you a serious edge, and with the apropriate tactics that edge can be exploited to devistating effect.

Detection is irrelevent if you can't target the aircraft.
Coupled with more advanced IR systems on missles and platforms the "bad guys" will have a better chance of targeting and killing stealth aircraft than with current tech. But then again if there is a significant increase in the threat of such systems you will see serious investment in IR supression, especially on the F35.

Wow. At 55,000 plus feet too... Don't forget about the curvature of the Earth my friend.

Fact is the tiny little radar in a missile system is going to be have to be extremely close to these aircraft to be able to target them.
That whole IADS theory sounds a bit too complicated to me. Their not just going to be trying to kill a single F22, they would be dealing with the a whole USAF package, several of them. Even IF (and i am very scheptical of this) the S400's radar can detect and track and sucsessfully engage an F22 at 100+km i wonder how well it could stand up in a heavy ECM environment, not to mention a serious USAF DEAD campaign. if the S400's radar is so pecial that it can to something no other radar on the planet (even much more powerfull ones) can do well, they'll be the first things that are targeted. But i'll get to that in a minet.

Clever aren't you. Are you aware that the F-22 doesn't HAVE a data-link capable of transmitting?
Yeah, the F22 doesnt need to transmit, it just needs to recieve track data from an offboard sensor and it can launch emmitions cold, maybe just the very quiet detelink with the missile.

XaNDeR said:
AFAIK the F35 is the only LO platform to have its stealth optimised arround a sertain set of frequencies, X band in particular. It is still stealthy in lower wavelengths, just not as stealthy as other "all aspect" LO platforms like the F22. The F22 and B2 on other hand are designed to be equaly hard to detect at L band X band and so on. Only with realy low frequency radars in the HF range would its LO start to deteriorate, this is the why JORN can detect LO platforms from time to time. The problem with such radars is that the data is not precise enough for missle shots on aircraft.

As far as EM leakage on a B2, forget it. They are totaly EM cold when they go to battle. Whatever they do emit you would need a radio telescope to detect. If an F22 or F35 is going in EM cold the only transmitions you could possibly detect are voice comms and maybe a datalink transmition if for some reason the forward platform had something to transmit. Thats hardly going to be the undoing of the platform. Both the datalink and voice comms are LPI and very low power.

Sensor fusing may achieve better results but you have fuse information from several different systems and use it in a meaningfull way. Thats not as easy as it sounds. Even if you have a whole integrated network with several passive and active systmes you may be able to detect a stealth aircraft thats a long way from a working system that can use several different systems in different locations to track an LO platform and use another weapons system to engage it. Such a system is complicated, expensive, unweildy and very vulnerable to heavy ECM and SEAD/DEAD work. Unless you have very exelent ECCM, ESM based systems will be useless in heavy ECM environments. Anyway if your relying on systems like ground based IR and ESM, the platform would have to basically fly over the target system. Thats kind of useless considering the standoff missle capability of the USAF, JASSM comes to mind, so does JSOW-ER.

Now for the S400. The claims that it can somehow detect LO platforms at 150km+ ranges are pretty extraordinary. The S400 system is an evoloution of the S300 family, it is essentially an improved S300 PMU. The claims that it can do something no other radar on the planet can do, which is detect a real LO platform 100NM is an extraordinary one, especially due to the fact that this is something that the S300 could not even come close to doing. Remember extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. IIRC the 64N6E Big Bird radar is essentially the same in the S300 and S400, it is just more refined with a better software. So i'm wondering how exactly the S400's radar can achieve a feat that large and very sophistocated radars like SPY 1D can not and and S300 could not????? I have no plroblem beleiving that the system is as capable, maybe even slighly more capable than PAC3, but claiming it can do something nothing else can do, especially given its size (truck mounted) because the russians claim it can is another story.

Even if the Big Bird (i think thats what they call it) can detect it, there is the queston of whether it can engage it with any real prospect of sucsess. Detection doesent mean you can launch a weapon and shoot down what your aiming at. Its hardly the "end of stealth" is it.....

Ozzy Blizzard

Can the F-35 be considered to have all aspect Stealth? I though IR reduction measures were significatly less advanced than in the F-22. Just curious :)
The F35 does have some IR supression but no were near as extensive as the F22. The nozle on the F35 is an odd shape, it's "teeth" are intended to coll the airflow i think.

Scorpion82

Advanced IRST systems aren't that limited as you describe. They can scan a larger field of view than many radars and track an even larger number of targets. Nonetheless an IRST is no adequate replacement for a radar as it's range performance is heavily dependend on the target's heat emissions, aspect angles and weather. Additionally IRST can't gather the required amount of data to feed the FCS for an optimal firing solution.

Are you aware that the F-22 doesn't HAVE a data-link capable of transmitting?
The IFDL is capable of transmit and receive, but it is used for data exchange between F-22s only.

Scorpion82

Yeah, the F22 doesnt need to transmit, it just needs to recieve track data from an offboard sensor and it can launch emmitions cold, maybe just the very quiet detelink with the missile.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think McG can be done by the hot platform as well. The cold one just needs to launch the missile.

Thats kind of useless considering the standoff missle capability of the USAF, JASSM comes to mind, so does JSOW-ER.
Isn't JASSM canceled due to its ineffectivness?

The nozle on the F35 is an odd shape, it's "teeth" are intended to coll the airflow i think.
Hmm hard to imagine how this shape should effect IR signature. I think its primary function is lowering the RCS.

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
is the raptor really that good
That appears to be the case however describing a combat aircraft as "good" is very difficult unless you measure its performance vs the requirements. The Raptor is a Fighter with a secondary attack capability. Without question, it has no competition in air to air combat. This is by design. It flies higher, faster and is much more difficult to detect. It can engage or escape at will and almost always as a surprise. The only other fighter with similar levels of performance would have been the YF-23.

As an attack aircraft its not as versitile as an F-15E, F/A-18E, F-16C, F-117 or the F-35 because of smaller weapons bays. But it can get into and out of places none of the previously mentioned platforms could.

-DA

paskal

Some of the more aggressive UK Infantry Battalions have made claims of a 6-1 kill ratio over purely infantry US army units, not sure if you can really read much into it but it makes a good pub story. The overwhelming air power and numerical sdvantage of the US would make that unpleasant to try of course.

Many stats can be made. In WW2 only something like 1 in 14 german tanks was desroyed by an allied tank, the rest by artillery and massive airpower not to mention lack of fuel.

The US has the kit and the numbers so its reeasonable it trains as such. Iraq might suggest that insurgents have a good chance of killing lots of highly trained professionals, in not sure the same could be said in airpower.

Certain conflicts allow tactics and smaller advantages win, eg the Falklands where the Harrier was flown to its advantage against with better short ranged missiles against a numerically bigger enemy. No commander would choose to fight in those conditions it was just that at the time the harier was all we had and the argentinians were flying at the end of thier range and some UK pilots would argue, not particularly inspired tactics. Given the choice Im sure Adm Woodward woudl have preffered Phantoms and Buccs with a few Gannets as early warning.
uk forces are very good at battle...
thats just my oppinion!
ive heard that they intercept the russian bombers luckily they never shoot it down!
if they did.....war!!!!!:nutkick

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
uk forces are very good at battle...
thats just my oppinion!
ive heard that they intercept the russian bombers luckily they never shoot it down!
if they did.....war!!!!!:nutkick
There is a separate thread with discussion of RAF interception of Russian aircraft already, please continue with the topic there. In the future, please post within the appropriate threads. The interaction of RAF and Russian aircraft has nothing to do with USAF F-22 Raptors, as such it does not believe here.
-Preceptor

rjmaz1

Yes i believe it doesn't believe here either!

:p:

is the raptor really that good
It certainly is.

If two aircraft have the same attributes in all area's, radar, speed, cross section then they will both acheive a 1 to 1 kill ratio against eachother.

If you increase any of those attirbutes even slightly it increases the kill ratio. If you increase all of them slightly the kill ratio will be quite high for that aircraft.

In the case of the F-22 it has an advantage in all area's, not by small margins but by large margins.

The F-22 has a large speed advantage over the enemy.

At military thrust it can cruise around 50% faster than enemy fighter that are in service.
Its radar can detect a 1m2 target further away than any friendly or enemy fighter in service. In an electric warfare environment it will provide an even bigger edge.
To be detected itself the F-22 requires the enemy to get very close. So close that you cant beat it.

The only aircraft that has any advantage in any area would be the Russia Mig-31. It can fly faster so if used correctly it would have the best chance at getting a kill against the F-22.

If the radar is big enough you can detect a stealth plane. Stealth only reduces the range it can be detected. If you reduce the radar cross section to as small as 1% of an unstealth aircraft it does not mean you will detect it at 1 mile opposed to 100 miles away.

The Mig-31 has a big nose and with a powerful radar it may very well detect an F-22 at beyond visual range. If the Mig-31 did detect an F-22 its safe to say that it would be because the F-22 had just launched a missile. The Mig-31 may be able to get a lock and fire off a missile before it gets shot down.

Last edited:

coolieno99

The F35 does have some IR supression but no were near as extensive as the F22. The nozle on the F35 is an odd shape, it's "teeth" are intended to coll the airflow i think.
the jagged/sawtooth pattern of the engine nozzle are meant to disperse radar waves. The landing gear doors on F-22, F-35 also have similiar jagged/sawtooth pattern, for the same reason.

So much information about stealth aircraft design is given out on the Internet, Russia/China just surf the web to find info on stealth aircraft design. Don't need to send spies. :coffee