F-35 to be delayed again, more cost hikes.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Another group wants to kill the F-35 entirely as well as the V-22, EFV and reduce the US Military to 1.2 million by cutting I think 275,000 troops.
Its all just commentator/media hot air. Pointless. The facts remain a USG highly committed to the F-35 and it progressing very well despite the hiccups. The contract for LRIP IV (fourth year of low rate initial production) has been signed and testing/development is returning results.

As to the calls to defence cuts they are predictable and of little value. It is Congress that decides how to spend and they are exceedingly unlikely to authorise a 5% cut to Defence as recommended by the Presidential Committee. Yet alone a more massive cut.

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its all just commentator/media hot air. Pointless. The facts remain a USG highly committed to the F-35 and it progressing very well despite the hiccups. The contract for LRIP IV (fourth year of low rate initial production) has been signed and testing/development is returning results.

As to the calls to defence cuts they are predictable and of little value. It is Congress that decides how to spend and they are exceedingly unlikely to authorise a 5% cut to Defence as recommended by the Presidential Committee. Yet alone a more massive cut.
As I said before I hope your right.;)

These proposed defense cuts are a little ridiculous LOL. Gates has already said it will just weaken our ability not just for America but for America's allies as well.

As for the F-35 your right I believe they bought 31 jets for LRIP IV.

weasel1962

Re:

F-35 programme status update.

Actual orders
Lot 1 - 2-A (USAF)
Lot 2 - 6-A (USAF), 6-B (USMC)
Lot 3 - 7-A (USAF) 1-A (Dutch), 7-B (USMC), 2-B (UK).
Lot 4 - 10-A (USAF), 1-A (Dutch), 16-B (USMC), 1-B (UK), 4-C (USN).

Total lot orders to date
29 F-35B (USMC)
25 F-35A (USAF)
4 F-35C (USN)
3 F-35B (UK) - fate uncertain in view of change.
2 F-35A (Dutch)

Future lot orders in the pipeline....
Australia - 14 ordered for A$3.2b - 25 Nov 2009. Plan for another 58 via MYR order and 28 in the final batch.
Israel - First 20 approved for US$2.75b in 15 Aug 2010 with offer of another 20.
Canada - Plan to acquire 65 for C$9b officially announced 16 Jul 2010.
Norway - Selection announced in 2008. postponed acquisition decision in 2010 to 2012 but intention to have delivery of training a/c in 2016 and operational a/c in 2018 announced sep 2010.
UK - switched from -B to -C model (19 Oct 2010). Delays acquisition and likely reduction from 138 to 40-50.
Dutch - postponed acquisition decision to 2014-15 (original plan 85).
Italy - dropped plans to acquire IOTE a/c. Final order yet to be confirmed.
Denmark - postponed acquisition decision in 2009 - no date indicated (original plan 48)
Turkey - no news.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Its not just congress but pentagon. Once the bush tax cuts are extended, its going to be another round of cost pressure which I wouldn't underestimate.

Pentagon reviewing options.
Pentagon officials to meet to address F-35 program's problems | Business | Dallas Busine...

Last edited:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Denmark has reduced its requirement to 30-40 fighters; Norway has a indicated requirement for 56 but I am unsure how firm that is.

Btw, your startlegram link seems to be out of order.

weasel1962

Re:

Btw, your startlegram link seems to be out of order.
Thanks for pointing out. Fixed.

Norway has a indicated requirement for 56 but I am unsure how firm that is.
My only source for that number was a report by Graham Warwick that stated Norway MOD had authority to negotiate up to 56 which came just after the Norwegian parliament deliberations.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...ml&headline=Norway+To+Begin+F-35+Negotiations

Officially, there are only 2 releases, one in 2008 for the recommendation to replace the F-16 with the F-35. The second was a King's report to state in Oct 2009 that there was broad support in parliament in Jun 2009 to begin negotiation for the F-35 neither of which indicated any change in numbers.

http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/sm...kongen-til-stortinget-om-nor-4.html?id=579235

Denmark has reduced its requirement to 30-40 fighters
As for this, I think the number may have arose from a misread of the danish MOD website which was that the JSF was supposed to last 30 to 40 years.

Officially, the MoD is studying the a/c and will make a decision between 2012 to 2014.

http://forsvaret.dk/FKO/Nyt og Presse/pnk/de3/Pages/default.aspx

http://forsvaret.dk/FKO/Nyt og Presse/pnk/Documents/folder_Nyt_kampfly_060209.pdf

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Thanks for expanding on the Norwegian part.

As for Denmark, the latest 4 year defence agreement will have reduced the RDAF fighter fleet to 30 "active" jets by the time of recapitalization (30-40 in real terms). So it can be considered a fact.

A

Aussie Digger

F-35 programme status update.

Actual orders
Lot 1 - 2-A (USAF)
Lot 2 - 6-A (USAF), 6-B (USMC)
Lot 3 - 7-A (USAF) 1-A (Dutch), 7-B (USMC), 2-B (UK).
Lot 4 - 10-A (USAF), 1-A (Dutch), 16-B (USMC), 1-B (UK).

Total lot orders to date
29 F-35B (USMC)
25 F-35A (USAF)
3 F-35B (UK) - fate uncertain in view of change.
2 F-35A (Dutch)

Future lot orders in the pipeline....
Australia - 14 ordered for A$3.2b - 25 Nov 2009. Plan for another 58 via MYR order and 28 in the final batch.
Israel - First 20 approved for US$2.75b in 15 Aug 2010 with offer of another 20.
Canada - Plan to acquire 65 for C$9b officially announced 16 Jul 2010.
Norway - Selection announced in 2008. postponed acquisition decision in 2010 to 2012 but intention to have delivery of training a/c in 2016 and operational a/c in 2018 announced sep 2010.
UK - switched from -B to -C model (19 Oct 2010). Delays acquisition and likely reduction from 138 to 40-50.
Dutch - postponed acquisition decision to 2014-15 (original plan 85).
Italy - dropped plans to acquire IOTE a/c. Final order yet to be confirmed.
Denmark - postponed acquisition decision in 2009 - no date indicated (original plan 48)
Turkey - no news.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Its not just congress but pentagon. Once the bush tax cuts are extended, its going to be another round of cost pressure which I wouldn't underestimate.

Pentagon reviewing options.
Pentagon officials to meet to address F-35 program's problems | Business | Dallas Busine...
That status update for overall orders is wrong. It hasn't included F-35C's. ACTUAL orders now stand at 82 aircraft, IIRC...

There were 5x F-35C's included in LRIP 4 and at least 1 previous F-35C model, CF-1.

This one...

http://australianaviation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/f35_10P00296_139.jpg

weasel1962

That status update for overall orders is wrong. It hasn't included F-35C's. ACTUAL orders now stand at 82 aircraft, IIRC...

There were 5x F-35C's included in LRIP 4 and at least 1 previous F-35C model, CF-1.

This one...

http://australianaviation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/f35_10P00296_139.jpg
LRIP IV included 4 F-35Cs for the USN which should have been included in the total lot order number.

That is actually the first LRIP order for the USN.
$3.5 Billion Full-Funding Contract Awarded For Fourth Lot Of Lockheed Martin F-35s | Lockheed Martin