F-35 Program - General Discussion

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
So I guess junior can now wait until 2028 claiming the delay will allow for better engines.:rolleyes:
The thing is, if you look back through history its pretty much a Canadian thing, not a new Junior thing. Canada has always been very good at making plans but never enacting them.

The exception is when caught in a shooting war when things happen very quickly before returning the BAU (business as usual)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
...only to wait another 10 years to hang out for NGAD? :rolleyes: Then again by that point, he won't be so "Junior" anymore ;)
I was going to suggest NGAD post 2028 as his next delay tactic but realistically I think Liberal party knives will be looking for his backside before then, if not and he’s still around, Canada is truly screwed.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The thing is, if you look back through history its pretty much a Canadian thing, not a new Junior thing. Canada has always been very good at making plans but never enacting them.

The exception is when caught in a shooting war when things happen very quickly before returning the BAU (business as usual)
That’s true but Canada isn’t alone in returning to BAU.

John Newman

The Bunker Group

Agree completely.

Every bit of Canadian procurement history I’ve seen reflects badly on both sides of Canadian politics.

I think all Canadian politicians have one true action in regard to defence procurement, which goes like this:

“Let’s make a decision not to make a decision”

Big_Zucchini

The F-35 had its first ever air to air combat, shooting down 2 Iranian drones carrying Gaza-bound payload.
A third drone was downed electronically. The article states they were shot down far from Israel's border, and it was done in coordination with its allies. This may imply a shoot-down over the Sinai, coordinated with Egypt.
The incident itself took place a year ago.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article questions the F-35 cuts across all three services by the Biden administration. Strange for all three apparently. Could be pressure on LM get get their $hit together on the Block 4 software. Maybe a spot is being prepared for junior’s order for 88 jets…I can hear the collective roar from people.:p

Vivendi

This article questions the F-35 cuts across all three services by the Biden administration. Strange for all three apparently. Could be pressure on LM get get their $hit together on the Block 4 software. Maybe a spot is being prepared for junior’s order for 88 jets…I can hear the collective roar from people.:p
I think you are right about putting pressure on LM, and in addition, it seems they are not entirely happy with the status of Tech Refresh 3 (which is needed for block 4 implementation):
There’s “a whole collection of reasons” for the reduction, Kendall said. First, the performance of the F-35’s Tech Refresh 3 update is “not what we wanted,” he said, and the TR3 is the basis for the Block 4 version of the jet, which USAF has long said it prefers to buy. The Air Force is investing some additional money in the Advanced Engine Technology Program (AETP) that could power an upgraded F-35. It sees an opportunity to accelerate the F-15EX and is continuing to put money against the Next Generation Air Dominance program. After investing in those areas, in the context of “the whole TacAir portfolio,” Kendall said the F-35 reduction makes sense.

Moreover, “if you look further out in the FYDP (Future Years Defense Plan) that we’ll provide, the numbers come back up,” he said.

Asked if the Air Force remains committed to the fighter, Kendall said, “Of course.”
Air Force Would Reduce Fleet by 250 Old Aircraft, Bring on 82-plus New Ones - Air Force Magazine

What is somewhat concerning it that it seems "full block 4" will not be available until 2029: Block IV: The F-35 'Upgrade' That Should Make China Nervous | The National Interest

I wonder when the JSM missiles becomes available on the F-35? It should be part of "block 4", but it seems block 4 will be split into block 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4? BAE Systems to upgrade electronic warfare system for Block 4 F-35 (janes.com)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Seems to be increasing debate over future engine developments for the F-35. P&W is hyping its EEP package for the current F135 engine even though the company is developing a new engine for the AETP as is GE.

As per the article below, some argue a new engine would be a logistics problem and wouldn’t be applicable to the F-35B.

However new sensors and Block 4 requires more power and better cooling, which AETP provides along with (supposedly) better range with its third air stream. If the promised 25% increase in range is real then this should be reason enough, especially for the USN. With concerns about a shrinking military industrial supply chain, is a single fighter jet engine manufacturer desirable? Certainly AETP engines would be desirable for the B-21 and future NGAD.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some news about P&W’s F135 engine repair performance. It will be a factor I assume with the on going decision between EEP for the F135 engine or a new engine AETP (GE and P&W both have designs for the latter). The AETP is unlikely adaptable for the F-35B. AETP is favoured for NGAD and would be good for the B-21 as well. It might be worth while going with both programs as a CYA solution considering the size of the F-35 fleet.

Vivendi

Some news about P&W’s F135 engine repair performance. It will be a factor I assume with the on going decision between EEP for the F135 engine or a new engine AETP (GE and P&W both have designs for the latter). The AETP is unlikely adaptable for the F-35B. AETP is favoured for NGAD and would be good for the B-21 as well. It might be worth while going with both programs as a CYA solution considering the size of the F-35 fleet.

GE is studying adaptation of their XA100 engine to the F-35B -- results should be available this fall:

GE claims 30% increase in range for F-35A/C, and 100% increase in thermal capacity -- quite impressive if confirmed.

P&W seems to push the upgraded F135 (EEP) rather than AETP: The F-35 engine is at a crossroads, with billions of dollars for industry at stake
It seems the P&W EEP would provide >10% increase in range and >50% increase in thermal capacity, at a much lower cost than AETP.

Given the increasingly hostile threat environment perhaps they should bite the bullet and go for the AETP. In particular for Asia-Pacific a 30% range increase and much larger thermal capacity would be very welcome.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
AETP seems to be the future, certainly for NGAD and perhaps the B-21 for the reasons mentioned in the article. GE claims about F-35B compatibility, wouldn’t hold my breath. Block 4 power demands are a prime driver for EEP and AETP but the latter seems to offer this and more. Given that AETP is the preferred solution to future jets I think this program will proceed regardless of whether it will be destined for the F-35.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yet another article on F-35 engine options. Basically there are three contenders, 2 AETP designs and the EEP for the F135 engine. All supposedly address the extra power requirements needed for block 4. GE claims more thrust plus a 30% increase in range. For the USN and perhaps Canada and Australia, 30% is damn significant, especially if the EEP option isn’t close to this number. I imagine the management team at Raytheon are sweating about this decision, especially those that pushed for the P&W acquisition.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article from The Diplomat summarizes why the the AETP engine may not be the right choice for the F-35 program. Although new supply chains for supporting two engines could be problematic and expensive for allies (and the US), a EEP updated F135 engine must address the needs for block 4 as a minimum. If the EEP engine can do this and also offer some range improvement then it should be an easy decision as this solution is applicable to all three F-35 variants. AETP will progress in any event as it will be the probable choice for the NGAD and perhaps eventually the B-21.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Another headache for the F-35 fleet, faulty explosive charges for the ejection seats. Apparently there is an abundant supply of good charges so should be at lm relatively quick fix.

Another click bait nothing article. It's automatically an F-35 problem (Ya know how crap THEY are!) rather than a seat issue affecting Super Hornets, Growlers etc.....every type with the same seat ....as well

oldsig

John Fedup

The Bunker Group