F-35 - International Participation

Redlands18

It ain't over until the fat lady yodels and she's a long way from that. When they had the last fighter competition about four or five years ago the Gripen won and that got voted down in the national referendum. According to the article one group have already said that they will force a referendum if a US aircraft wins. So it's a long way to go yet.
A National Referendum to buy a major Military asset? I can just imagine how well that would work here in Australia..... not

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe, but that wasn't my post. My comment was specifically on the cost factor.
They get much cheaper it may be worthwhile NZ getting a squadron or two.

Finally got too see some F-35As in flight too, very clean, very advanced looking, as well as loud.

Milne Bay

Finally got too see some F-35As in flight too, very clean, very advanced looking, as well as loud.
They are very loud aren't they.
I spent a day near Williamtown recently and there was plenty of air activity from both F/A 18s and F-35s.
The F35s were so much louder - heard them coming from much further away and the noise overhead was - well I won't say deafening, but very significantly loud.
I would not like to live nearby
MB

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They are very loud aren't they.
I spent a day near Williamtown recently and there was plenty of air activity from both F/A 18s and F-35s.
The F35s were so much louder - heard them coming from much further away and the noise overhead was - well I won't say deafening, but very significantly loud.
I would not like to live nearby
MB
For the last few weeks they’ve been off from Darwin early, returning around lunch then off again and returning around 1600 daily. They’re in low from the South and deploying landing gear almost on top of my house as they make their final turn to runway 11 and yes in that configuration very loud.
Departure is another level but that’s not on top of me.
I’m glad they’re here doing what they’re supposed to do, people should button up, Darwin has been a military airport before most of these muppets arrived here.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Always the comedian. The noise alone would have the pollies sphincter muscles going on strike. They'd run out of dunny paper in parliament.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For the last few weeks they’ve been off from Darwin early, returning around lunch then off again and returning around 1600 daily. They’re in low from the South and deploying landing gear almost on top of my house as they make their final turn to runway 11 and yes in that configuration very loud.
I’m glad they’re here doing what they’re supposed to do, people should button up, Darwin has been a military airport before most of these muppets arrived here.
Low flying tigers are probably louder to be honest, and the ospreys louder still. The F-35 has a deeper, less piercing sound than the Classic F/A-18s. The thing I had noticed is unless they are taking off I can't actually work out which the F-35s sound is coming from where I can usually pinpoint the hornets pretty quickly.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Mate, have a look in the RAAF Thread, just put up a video from Exercise Arnhem Thunder.

Cheers,

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A bit of additional information on the Swiss F-35 acquisition. Apparently two out of 7 council members are opposed to any US jet. Also several left wing opposition parties are demanding yet another referendum. Some reject fighters altogether. Have to say the Swiss acquisition process applied to Canada would make us a dance partner for NZ.

FormerDirtDart

A bit of additional information on the Swiss F-35 acquisition. Apparently two out of 7 council members are opposed to any US jet. Also several left wing opposition parties are demanding yet another referendum. Some reject fighters altogether. Have to say the Swiss acquisition process applied to Canada would make us a dance partner for NZ.

F-35A selected

Arclighy

If you do a search for F35 technical specification on a search engine of your choice, you will get the information you require.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Hai.... anyone has information detail specification and detail tech built about F-35
Yes .... but you have to do the leg work first.

There are pages and pages of information available in the public domain, you just have to look. There is an old saying:

“Google, it’s your friend, use it”

Do a bit of research, educate yourself, then ask specific questions, ok?

Cheers,

Redlands18

Hai.... anyone has information detail specification and detail tech built about F-35
Also recommend if you are interested in Air Combat a read through of the Air Power 101 thread that can be found under Air Force and Aviation on the forums Home Page is a excellent read. It was put together some years ago by Mods and Defence Pros.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
We have a set of rules that posters have to follow. Also you are claiming to be a member of the US military, so you had better have proof for such a claim. False claims of military service and stolen valour are something that we don't take kindly too.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
And isn’t this driving all the Rafale fanboys around the place, absolutely crazy?

The Swiss have assessed the F-35 as both more capable, cheaper to acquire and 20% or more, cheaper to sustain than any of the other bids...

Ce la vie, mon ami!

:D:D:D:D
The sustainment analysis would be interesting to see as this seems to be a sore point with some Congressmen and USAF analysts. No surprise the acquisition cost was superior and no other vendors could match the overall capability.