F-35 First Flight Comments...

rjmaz1

But thats just wishfull thinking as I believe the Lockmart is only capable of producing something like 36 F-22 airframes/year.
The tooling and space available allows for much more than 36 airframes per year.

If the JSF is cancelled the rate of F-22 production can more than double.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
How??? The F-22 is assembled in Marietta, the F-35 in Fort Worth! LockMart would need to establish a whole new set of tooling etc in Fort Worth going on your logic, something it would not do. :rolleyes:

Magoo

ripper

The tooling and space available allows for much more than 36 airframes per year.

Actually, thats not actually true. The tooling capacity will support in the area of ~36/year F-22s. When the declining orders were looming the 22 was never tooled up for the original run of 750 airframes (let alone 600). If Lockmart were to run overtime (and some key suppliers) they may be able to squeak out ~46+/year. Some of the key structural composite components are long lead time items due to how the composites are manufactured: its not a simple matter of simply putting a piece of steel or aluminum on a lathe and grinding out more pieces... To quote an overhyped movie some of the composites are made via, "Shake and bake." Now then, even 36 airframes on non-o.t. work schedules would be a lot better than the 20/year that have been getting pumped out: we're simply not even building the F-22 up to its pitiful maximum tooling capacity. If 1 F-22 is ~5_or_6 F-15s, then by the math, then those 36 F-22s/year is equiv to ~180+ Eagles. Now I don't know all of the ins and outs of the F-22 tooling situation, but it seems to me that if some of they long lead composite items were doubled up (tooling) then LM could pump out ~60-70 or so per year without actually doubling every piece of F-22 tooling. This scenario would cost significantly less than building the tooling for 3000+ F-35s and still yield a more effective USAF.

I just don't like that F-35 and its pitiful performance for the USA's 1st fighter of the 21st century. If 20 years ago someone were to ask me and others what kind of plane we'd be building in the 21st century to replace the F-16 (without thinking in sci-fi terms) I'd have imagined something with Raptor speed and more than *2* internal missiles and *2* internal bombs and a thrust to weight ratio of better than >0.XX.

I also found it intersting that after the F-35 first flight, Beasley(?) said something like (I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact words), "The F-35 flew great, but the F-16 chase planes... well the F-16 is a hell of a plane too." Being biased against the 35, that one line really jumped out at me. When the F-22 first flew, the chase planes had to go to AB to keep up with its rate of climb (with gear down as well) and I didn't see that with the F-35 and F-16s.

Occum

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
He Will Be Buying Beers For Years

The general consensus among colleagues in the flight test community is that Jon Beesley will (and should) be buying beers for many years to come on the back of his post first flight comments about the JSF.

How he could claim the F-35 to be 'quicker' than the Raptor after a 35 minute flight at a max speed of 225 KIAS and 15k feet MSL - WITH THE GEAR DOWN - belies belief.

One thing this claim does demonstrate is that it pretty much epitomises the JSF Program, to date - a good idea gone bad through too much smoke and mirrors marketing.

:rolleyes:

dioditto

Kurt Plummer said:
which young unemployed fools are brought to ever greater heights of frenzied bloodlust typical of the Arab mind. The war was fought on the street but it was lost in the mosques and no amount of 'gee, latinos look just like arabs to us!' HUMINT is going to get you deep enough into that snakepit to be worth the effort compared to simply COP seeing the bastards stage the attack and then Mike Force collapsing it so that you can hold a field court, hang them and burn the corpses _where caught_ as an example for every other member of that sorry ass society to see.
Haha, he is a fine example of american. ;)

dioditto

Fair go mate, i think youre being a bit unfair to Americans, however, i think he is a fine example of an intelligent,boreing,lonley computer GEEK!
Oh, you don't think he is racist and ignorant? How about disrespectful and hot headed? He definitely does not fit the profile of a computer geek....

Anyway, back to F-35, I think it only works if it is complemented with other stealthier platform. eg. F-22. So IMHO, I think Australia buying F-35 isn't a good choice, since there is no F-22 to back it up.

chrisrobsoar

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think that we should remember that Kurt Plummer is taking an enforced holiday from this site and hence is unable to respond.

Chris

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think that we should remember that Kurt Plummer is taking an enforced holiday from this site and hence is unable to respond.

Chris
All: Please note the big bold bits in red. As much as there is opinion on individuals and their relative legacy, its inappropriate to stick the boot in when they're gone and unable to respond.

Please return to the topic ASAP rather than dwell on this.

phreeky

The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35 Lightning II achieved another successful test flight today from the company’s Fort Worth, Texas, facility.

“The maturity of this highly integrated aircraft for its second flight is dazzling - when it’s time to fly it is always ready and takes minimal time to get out of the chocks,” said Jon Beesley, F-35 Chief Test Pilot. “The flight underscores that the Lightning II flies just as our engineers predicted. This was the first time that we have retracted the landing gear and the aircraft handling qualities were outstanding. I continue to be impressed by this marvelous airplane’s performance and handling characteristics.”

Approximately 10 minutes into the flight, Beesley retracted the landing gear and climbed from 15,000 to 20,000 feet to evaluate handling qualities and engine operation in the cruise mode at Mach 0.6 (~ 450 m.p.h.) and Mach 0.7 (~ 530 m.p.h.). The handling tests included rolls, turns, angle-of-attack changes and engine throttle changes. The flight lasted 62 minutes and was executed exactly as planned. It followed the aircraft’s successful first flight on Dec. 15, when the F-35 demonstrated unprecedented engine performance and handling qualities.

“With this successful flight and its broad array of test points, F-35 flight test has really begun,” said Dan Crowley, Lockheed Martin executive vice president and F-35 program general manager. “The ease of starting and flying this aircraft is a reflection of the quality of the team who designed and built it.”

The F-35 is a supersonic, multi-role, 5TH Generation stealth fighter designed to replace a wide range of existing aircraft, including AV-8B Harriers, A-10s, F-16s, F/A-18 Hornets and United Kingdom Harrier GR.7s and Sea Harriers.

Lockheed Martin is developing the Lightning II with its principal industrial partners, Northrop Grumman and BAE Systems. Two separate, interchangeable F-35 engines are under development: the Pratt & Whitney F135 and the GE Rolls-Royce Fighter Engine Team F136.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage.do?dsp=fec&ci=18096&rsbci=0&fti=111&ti=0&sc=400

So it's made another flight. Obviously praising it like nothing else, when will we know how it truly handles? A video of the flights perhaps? That would be nice.

chrisrobsoar

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage.do?dsp=fec&ci=18096&rsbci=0&fti=111&ti=0&sc=400

So it's made another flight. Obviously praising it like nothing else, when will we know how it truly handles? A video of the flights perhaps? That would be nice.

Here are some sources. The first video was released on 15 Dec 2006.

First Flight 15 Dec 2006

Hi-Res pictures

http://www.lmaeronautics.com/f35firstflight/

Same Video from two sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIiWRLlN75U

http://www.crmstudios.tv/videos/F35/

Second Flight 8 Jan 2007

This time with wheels up.

Third Flight planned for 10 Jan 2007

LM should post photo for second flight today and for both flights by the end of the week.

Chris

phreeky

Yeah I've already got the hi-res photo from the second flight, a nice photo too actually. Maybe Johnny just keeps signing up to get the Aus flag on such a pretty plane :D (jk)

But yeah I'm waiting for a video of the 2nd flight, I've seen that one of the first flight, but more or less it proved nothing more than its ability to create sufficient thrust, lift and be somewhat controllable.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
It seems to me that it is far too early to make judgements about the performance of the Lightning II at this stage. Obviously Lockheed Martin will talk it up and its detractors will talk it down. I think we need to wait and see for a while yet.