F-16 Album

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Indus the protrusions on both sides of the dorsal "spine" of the plane are the Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFTs). These store extra fuel which dramatically increases the range of the F-16 while external hard points can be left devoid of fuel tanks and can be used for mounting armament.
I think with the CFTs the F-16 has the same range as an F-15. I think that is why the Israelis ordered CFT laden F-16s with their own modifications rather than expensive F-15s.

mysterious

Can anyone give me the entire history of the F-16s? Like starting from the first F-16 to roll out, how many types and blocks have been produced? My information is kind of fuzzy about this so I just want to update myself on this. :smokingc:

Winter

mysterious said:
Can anyone give me the entire history of the F-16s? Like starting from the first F-16 to roll out, how many types and blocks have been produced? My information is kind of fuzzy about this so I just want to update myself on this. :smokingc:
I'll refer you:

http://www.f-16.net

A highly...comprehensive 'fan' website that should give you the idea.

adsH

i wan't to ask a question in the pakistani F-16 block 15 (if u lookat the pic) it appears to have a smooth top area on the main fuselage (not the CFT I know) but compare it to the Block 52 of the F16i there is a straight upression like it has somthing in it between the CFT Notice it too i have seen thismod in some other Israeli Falconsit hink they have something hiddent in it some extra kit. i did not see this when the F-16i was presented on the Lockheed martin presentation. oh the israelis got a good deal on there Falcons the new tech stuff was designed for the UAE Airforce they paid 8 billion for 80 Falcons becasue they got those CFT and alot of other stuff designed. Basically UAE paid for the entire redesign of the F-16.

TEll me if you guys know what that middle blcked area is inbetween the CFT on the F-16i

OK now they are going over the top F-16 AFTI in flight. You can clearly see the CCV canards below the air inlet.
(NASA photo)
http://www.f-16.net/photos/large/phl-0120.jpg

Two PAF Bravos being flown in formation by the aggressor squadron of the USAF lol they rubed out the Pakistans crescent and the star but it has all the Serial intact along with the Color scheme man those look new can't believe they have been in a desert for almost better part of there life about 10 years.

http://www.f-16.net/modules.php?set...hotoGallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Winter

adsH said:
Two PAF Bravos being flown in formation by the aggressor squadron of the USAF lol they rubed out the Pakistans crescent and the star but it has all the Serial intact along with the Color scheme man those look new can't believe they have been in a desert for almost better part of there life about 10 years.
Not surprised. The USAF agency responsible, AMARC (Aerospace Maintanence and Regeneration Centre) looks after them, professionally storing them...Lubricating them with oils, running the engines occasionally, etc...Their job is keep them in flyable conditions for years if they are ever again needed, as in this case.

Most of the aircraft in that desert do fly again, apparently.

A fan source: http://www.amarcexperience.com

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Indus said:
Greek F-16 Block 52

These babies look a lot like Israel's i version

Does anyone know what that added bulkyness in the dorsal area of the body does or if it has any added gear inside..

EW equipment, most likely

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Dorsals et al

Vol 5, No 5 of Combat Aircraft has done an article on the ex PAF F-16's. They are being used for DACT. Due for replacement later this year by FA/18's.

IIRC the Israeli's have stated that due to the miniaturisation of their EW gear, that most of the dorsal is electronics, but there is room for fuel.

They've done the same with their Mig 21 conversions in the past. IIRC the dorsal in the Mig 21 allowed an extra 6-700L of fuel.

There's an interesting byline on the fact that they modded a Mig 29 but the Roumanians couldn't afford them, subsequently had them mod the Mig 21's instead.