Eurofighter Question

Beatmaster

Hello Guys

I got a question regarding this news from the deftalk home page: Eurofighter Typhoon to Display Agile Multi-Role Capability at RIAT 2011 | Air Force News at DefenseTalk

Here is mentioned that the Eurofighter is the most advanced multirole aircraft today.
Now i do not want to start a who is best topic as we have seen loads of them in the past.
However i was wondering what the major differences are between US made aircraft, EU made aircraft and eastern build aircraft?
Obviously the whole aircraft industry is almost one big family sharing most technological systems or variants all do most have their own "smart" and unique gadgets.
But what makes this EF so special as it seems nearly the only aircraft in its class that can rival US build counterparts and eastern build counterparts?
I mean are there any unique trade marks or systems that are bound to EU or US or Asia/ Russia only? as i may assume that if for example the US invents a hyper modern radar system for their new F what ever plane that they will not export it right?
So does the US, EU and Eastern build counter part have any unique 'things"?
And where does the EF fit in as a multi role aircraft compared to the standing order of MR capable aircrafts.

And last question if you compare the US, EU and eastern traditional fighter aircraft building and technology then what are the major differences and how would they be rated in terms of value for money or quality? as tech is more available nowadays compared to like 20 years ago. Where the western powers did have a pretty big edge towards other parts of the world.

I hope this topic will trigger a mature talk about this topic without going into a who is best topic.

Cheers

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
That article linked was from Eurofighter GmgH. Between that and the general lack of mention which systems involved make it 'the most advanced multi-role fighter' it sounds more like a sales bit, rather than an actual capability claim. Take what is said with a grain of salt. A large grain...

As for the Eurofighter being the 'most advanced...' I am not so certain that is accurate, simply because I have not kept track of just what the development status is for some of the Tranche 3 spiral developments.

Has design and testing of an AESA been completed so that one is in production or ready to commence production? If the answer is 'no' then I would say that the Eurofighter is not the most advanced, since other US-built multi-role fighters already have AESA in service.

There are more capabilities required to demonstrate how advanced an aircraft is, as well as whether or not an aircraft is multi-role. AESA just happens to be one of the more recent developments which was not initially available with the Eurofighter,

-Cheers

Scorpion82

Claims like "the best", "most advanced" etc. should be taken with a pinch of salt in general. It's marketing brabbling which every manufacturer resorts to in order to promote is products.

For being the most advanced or not one has to access the technologies on a broad scale, the availability or non-availability of certain systems doesn't automatically translate into being more or less advanced. A good example here is the DVI or dual-band IRST/FLIR sensor on the Typhoon not found on other aircraft, on the other side it lacks an AESA radar for example (answers your question TJ).

In general European combat aircraft are often relative expensive due to high labour costs and smaller production runs, add the dollar/euro exchange rates and European combat aircraft are quite expensive. The Gripen is an exception here as it is a very compact design which uses a lot of off the shelf technologies which lower the costs. American designs partially offer a better bang for the buck, even if some of them might not be as advanced or capable, but it could be true the other way round as well. Russian designs are usually the cheapest but don't last that long as their Western counter parts (lower airframe/engine life time). Avionics wise the west had traditionally a lead over the east, but it often depends on the areas you are comparing them too.

Considering Russian and American 4th generation fighters like the F-16 and MiG-29 for example the Russian design offered IRST/LRF/HMS and a datalink, HOBS capable missiles, the ability to operate from class B runways and was cheaper to buy. The F-16 on the other hand offered a more advanced man-machine interface, radar and avionics suite, had a longer life time and could employ a wider range of smart AG munitions. Things have certainly changed over the years and both sides caught up in individual areas, while a lead in some of them can still be assigned. Europeans are more cash constrained than the Americans and subsequently lack behind in some areas, albeit they also manage to field some technologies/capabilities not present American or Russian aircraft and the same is true the other way round. Much is also dictated by military doctrines and requirements.

Beatmaster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That article linked was from Eurofighter GmgH. Between that and the general lack of mention which systems involved make it 'the most advanced multi-role fighter' it sounds more like a sales bit, rather than an actual capability claim. Take what is said with a grain of salt. A large grain...

As for the Eurofighter being the 'most advanced...' I am not so certain that is accurate, simply because I have not kept track of just what the development status is for some of the Tranche 3 spiral developments.

Has design and testing of an AESA been completed so that one is in production or ready to commence production? If the answer is 'no' then I would say that the Eurofighter is not the most advanced, since other US-built multi-role fighters already have AESA in service.

There are more capabilities required to demonstrate how advanced an aircraft is, as well as whether or not an aircraft is multi-role. AESA just happens to be one of the more recent developments which was not initially available with the Eurofighter,

-Cheers
AESA is planned / operational on EF Eurofighter and Euroradar to Develop Latest Generation AESA Radar | Air Force News at DefenseTalk

So judging from the deftalk article i believe that your view is not accurate.
Not saying that the claim is right from the previous article in my first post.

However this article does point out some intresting things you might wanna read:
Eurofighter’s Future: Tranche 3, and Beyond
Also after some quick google searches it turns out that the previous designs always did have "future" upgrades in mind.

Anyway as you said most things have to be taken with a grain of salt but does that not apply to all sales related things?

But to get back at my original questions if you take a look at the original designs of the EF and the current designs and options then we see that alot of things have been changed around to fit future upgrades and modifications which will hopefully for the better as the EF is a very capable aircraft agree?
Obviously all those modifications and upgrades come with a big cost and lots of testing and researching so what would the EF need in terms of development, testing, research and eventual production and usage by the costumer to meet the current standards and future standards of avionic warfare?
As nowadays avionic warfare and avionic systems are changing nearly every month as it becomes way more dynamic and way way way more computerized or automated.
Not to mention the fact that for example unmanned drones already perform small scale similar tasks that normally where given to manned aircraft.
So what future does the EF have and what does it need to keep up.
*Note personally i believe that this question applies for all MR Capable aircraft.
As drones and unmanned systems are reaching the point to deliver the same performances as manned systems agree?

@ Scorpion82
I understand what you say and i agree with what you said, however would not be better for the western avionics's and aircraft building branches to combine their efforts in order to reduce costs and maximize the eventual potential and result of a aircraft design? after all aircrafts aint cheap and have a very big footprint on warfare in general so my guess is that if you are forced to buy or replace your current fleet of MR aircraft then you want something good in return right?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
AESA is planned / operational on EF Eurofighter and Euroradar to Develop Latest Generation AESA Radar | Air Force News at DefenseTalk

So judging from the deftalk article i believe that your view is not accurate.
Not saying that the claim is right from the previous article in my first post.

However this article does point out some intresting things you might wanna read:
Eurofighter’s Future: Tranche 3, and Beyond
Also after some quick google searches it turns out that the previous designs always did have "future" upgrades in mind.
I was aware of the design and testing of AESA for the Typhoon. What I am not aware of, simply because I have not kept up with Typhoon developments, is whether or not there are series models equipped with AESA either in service or in production. The 2015 in-service date according to the article is right about when some of the F-35's should be entering service, with the APG-81 AESA...

IMO, any plans or potential for future development of the Typhoon have no bearing on how advanced/capable a multi-role fighter it is at present. What does having bearing is what sensors and munitions it can carry and use now for multiple roles.

If people wish to include what is in development and possible deployment for the Typhoon, then the same consideration needs to be extended to other aircraft. Which would lead right into the question of "which aircraft is a more advanced multi-role aircraft, the EF Typhoon, or the LockMart F-35 Lightning II/JSF?"

So, if consideration of just current capabilities is to be done, where does that leave the Typhoon?

-Cheers

wormhole

So, if consideration of just current capabilities is to be done, where does that leave the Typhoon?
-Cheers
The limitations of the current Typhoon configuration is clearly demonstrated in the skies over Libya.. Typhoon is limited to using laser-guidance for precision attacks whereas the more mature Tornado offers a wider choice of weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpion82

@Beatmaster
The problem with the joint avionics approach is that everyone wants his share in the market and competition is never bad. ToT issues and other restrictions are another problem, albeit costs could be cut the way you suggest.

Beatmaster

The EuroFighter's future will be determined to a large extent if it wins the Indian Air Force MMRCA competition. With Indian involvement and funding, many of the proposed upgrades have a greater possibility of getting done.

The Indian Fighter Competition and the Future of Eurofighter | SLDInfo
Well its true that the Indian Air Force could boost the funding and speed up things however you should not forget that the EF already has a impressive record of costumers and future costumers (Or evaluating nations ) namely: German Luftwaffe, British Royal Air Force, the Spanish Air Force, the Italian Air Force, Austrian Air Force and Saudi Arabia bought 72 EF's a while ago.
Now potential costumers are if i am not mistaken: Japan, India, Oman, Danmark, Romania, Norway and Greece (If they can manage to keep their balance on their bank account :rolleyes:)
Not to mention that Qatar Emiri Air Force and Royal Malaysian Air Force are evaluating if the EF is suitable enough to replace their aging fleet.

So yes the Indian Airforce would have some impact upon the future of the EF specially in the middle east and Asia, however funding wise it is one of the best funded aircraft building and development/ research projects on earth.
Another thing to consider is that the EF ain't the new guy on the block as the platform itself and the original base drawings date far back. (1979 if i am not mistaking :idea2)

@Scorpion82
Yes true also the EF is nearly a 100% EU driven project so i would assume that the technological options and development/research options throughout the EU would be made available to help the: Gripen, EF and the Rafale
Like they have done with the Eurocopter which was a joined venture between nations.
So logical speaking if you want the best from both worlds then its kinda BS to hold on to restrictions and it would make the EF, Gripen and Rafale even better platforms then they already are i mean lets face it they are top notch and very well build aircraft, lol its not like you buy a very expensive tin can:D

So for the sake of the European air force research, development and building would it not be a very great thing if the 3 rival companies (EF, Gripen, Rafale) just would shut up and start working together as they have combined so much more knowledge and history when it comes to building aircraft not to mention experience and actual field data which imo combined they are formidable and should be considered to be able to develop a platform on the same page as the JSF or perhaps better.
I mean they are not kids who are fooling around agree?

So what restrictions are common? and what could the EU do from the top down to smooth the way for a more cooperative future between the 3 big name's in the EU.
Also i wonder what others thing of this approach towards the EU based Aircraft and Military Soft-Hardware industry?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
@Scorpion82
Yes true also the EF is nearly a 100% EU driven project so i would assume that the technological options and development/research options throughout the EU would be made available to help the: Gripen, EF and the Rafale
Like they have done with the Eurocopter which was a joined venture between nations.
So logical speaking if you want the best from both worlds then its kinda BS to hold on to restrictions and it would make the EF, Gripen and Rafale even better platforms then they already are i mean lets face it they are top notch and very well build aircraft, lol its not like you buy a very expensive tin can:D

So for the sake of the European air force research, development and building would it not be a very great thing if the 3 rival companies (EF, Gripen, Rafale) just would shut up and start working together as they have combined so much more knowledge and history when it comes to building aircraft not to mention experience and actual field data which imo combined they are formidable and should be considered to be able to develop a platform on the same page as the JSF or perhaps better.
I mean they are not kids who are fooling around agree?

So what restrictions are common? and what could the EU do from the top down to smooth the way for a more cooperative future between the 3 big name's in the EU.
Also i wonder what others thing of this approach towards the EU based Aircraft and Military Soft-Hardware industry?
IMO it is unrealistic to expect partnerships between the EF Typhoon and Dassault Rafale development. Apart from the fact that they are produced by different companies, they are essentially competing aircraft. It would be akin to Boeing giving IP developed for/from the SHornet to LockMart to improve the F-16...

Another area which would likely cause trouble is the histories of the two aircraft themselves. The Typhoon and Rafale both originated out of the same programme, which was to provide a common Euro fighter for the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France. Due to disagreements between programme participants, France dropped out of the programme and initiated their own fighter programme which is what became the Rafale.

Now a question I have is what the real aim of this thread? I ask because the original post mentioned a claim of the Typhoon being the most advanced 'multi-role' fighter IIRC, but much of the discussion now seems to be about the viability of future developments and/or upgrade programmes for the Typhoon, as opposed to discussing the state of current Typhoon capabilities, particularly multi-role capabilities.

-Cheers

jack412

Hello Guys

I got a question regarding this news from the deftalk home page: Eurofighter Typhoon to Display Agile Multi-Role Capability at RIAT 2011 | Air Force News at DefenseTalk

Here is mentioned that the Eurofighter is the most advanced multirole aircraft today.

Cheers
from what I've seen written, both the rafale and EF wont have their full kit till around 2018, the EF has perhaps the potential to be the most advanced 4.5gen
but with 5th gen, I think its like saying they are the most advanced buggy whip when cars started

Beatmaster

IMO it is unrealistic to expect partnerships between the EF Typhoon and Dassault Rafale development. Apart from the fact that they are produced by different companies, they are essentially competing aircraft. It would be akin to Boeing giving IP developed for/from the SHornet to LockMart to improve the F-16...

Another area which would likely cause trouble is the histories of the two aircraft themselves. The Typhoon and Rafale both originated out of the same programme, which was to provide a common Euro fighter for the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France. Due to disagreements between programme participants, France dropped out of the programme and initiated their own fighter programme which is what became the Rafale.

Now a question I have is what the real aim of this thread? I ask because the original post mentioned a claim of the Typhoon being the most advanced 'multi-role' fighter IIRC, but much of the discussion now seems to be about the viability of future developments and/or upgrade programmes for the Typhoon, as opposed to discussing the state of current Typhoon capabilities, particularly multi-role capabilities.

-Cheers
Yeah you are right its kinda unrealistic to picture a joined venture between the 2 companies still it would boost the EU aircraft development sector alot agree?
My point here in this tread is (besides the offtopic comments i made upon your replies) is that the EF is a world class platform i think we all can agree on that but with the current changes and upcomming upgrades to exsisting models of other big aircraft projects like the jsf what does EF need to do to maintain a comfortable place at the world stage as being one of the leading aircraft manufactures?
I mean today there is so much quality out there and on paper they all look good so short said what ever wishes you have for the right prize its yours when comes to airplanes.
With the current development options and future upgrades that EF offers to their costumers what could they do and what are they likely going to do to make the EF a first option to buying nations? for example if you are looking for a 4.5 gen/5gen MR capable airplane then there are 5 or 6 differend types and names to pick from so the competition is kinda tight i assume.
In other words which road is EF going to take and what future upgrades are they going to offer to make the EF at least come close to being the world most advanced platform?

Just a side note personally i do know zippo about airplanes the little things i do know is from what i read here or what google and magazines do provide so i am really trying to understand things regarding EF and other airplanes as they imo a piece of art and it would be a shame if such a nice and capable aircraft like the EF would end up as being a semi failed project see my point?

As i said before there are a number of aircraft companies out there who all offer a world class and cutting edge package and the big question is does EF and its future developments and upgrade options have what it takes to be as succesfull as other aircraft like for example the F-16 which is still one of the most used aircraft ever.
And what could EF do to make the EF way more atractive to future costumers?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Yeah you are right its kinda unrealistic to picture a joined venture between the 2 companies still it would boost the EU aircraft development sector alot agree?
Personally, I would have to say, "No." My reason for saying that is prior to France/Dassault starting the Rafale programme, they were contributors to what became the Typhoon. The fact that they backed out of the programme makes me think that if they had not backed out, the Typhoon programme would have ended up with a later in-service date than it did, and there would likely be even more arguments about who was to develop and/or order what, and for how much.

The phrase, "too many cooks spoil the soup, " comes to mind...

My point here in this tread is (besides the offtopic comments i made upon your replies) is that the EF is a world class platform i think we all can agree on that but with the current changes and upcomming upgrades to exsisting models of other big aircraft projects like the jsf what does EF need to do to maintain a comfortable place at the world stage as being one of the leading aircraft manufactures?
I mean today there is so much quality out there and on paper they all look good so short said what ever wishes you have for the right prize its yours when comes to airplanes.
With the current development options and future upgrades that EF offers to their costumers what could they do and what are they likely going to do to make the EF a first option to buying nations? for example if you are looking for a 4.5 gen/5gen MR capable airplane then there are 5 or 6 differend types and names to pick from so the competition is kinda tight i assume.
In other words which road is EF going to take and what future upgrades are they going to offer to make the EF at least come close to being the world most advanced platform?

Just a side note personally i do know zippo about airplanes the little things i do know is from what i read here or what google and magazines do provide so i am really trying to understand things regarding EF and other airplanes as they imo a piece of art and it would be a shame if such a nice and capable aircraft like the EF would end up as being a semi failed project see my point?

As i said before there are a number of aircraft companies out there who all offer a world class and cutting edge package and the big question is does EF and its future developments and upgrade options have what it takes to be as succesfull as other aircraft like for example the F-16 which is still one of the most used aircraft ever.
And what could EF do to make the EF way more atractive to future costumers?
From my perspective, the Typhoon and to a lesser extent the Rafale have both 'missed the plane' as it were. They are advanced combat aircraft, without a doubt. However the platform capabilities, and when they came out, were a bit too late and also a bit too expensive.

In terms of 'too late', the first Typhoons which should be able to perform bombing missions appear to be specially modified RAF Typhoons, and per a Register article, they are not expected to be available to perform such roles until ~2016, with production multi-role Typhoons available starting ~2018.

Given that the 5th gen F-35 Lightning II should be reaching IOC ~2016 and is intended to be multi-role from the start, if a non-manufacturing country or air arm had the choice, why would they choose a non-LO advanced multi-role aircraft if there was an advanced LO multi-role aircraft available instead?

Even the Rafale, which was intended to be multi-role as opposed to having multi-role capabilities added after aircraft design, is/was a bit too late. When France had the Rafale's make their combat debut in Afghanistan, they initially required Mirage 2000's as well, since the Rafale's were literally just bomb trucks, they were unable to designate targets. That is what the Mirage 2000's were doing, instead of having the Mirage's designate AND bomb targets...

From my perspective, it seems as though the designers for both the Typhoon and Rafale failed to pay attention to (or perhaps ignored) the lessons learned from the air campaigns over Iraq and Kuwait in the Persian Gulf War (1990-1991), or over Kosovo, Serbia and Yugoslavia in Operation Allied Force in 1999. Those air campaigns, as well as later ones over Afghanistan in 2002 or against Iraq in 2003, have shown that apart from conflicts between peer or near-peer level air forces, air superiority/supremacy will be established in the initial stages of a campaign. Once air superiority or supremacy has been established, the air to air capabilities of a particular fighter becomes largely irrelevant, since there would no longer be hostile aircraft left to engage in the air. Also worth noting, much of the way IADS rollbacks are accomplished now is via precision strikes upon C4ISR nodes, and/or eliminating air defence assets (interceptors, SAM or AAA) while they are on the ground with strike aircraft.

This IMO is a particular problem for the Typhoon, since it was designed to be an air superiority fighter, and was not originally intended to be multi-role. Indeed, absent difficult and expensive modifications, Tranche I Typhoons are only useful for air interceptor and superiority missions, not strike or air to ground roles. Eurofighter has realized the oversight (or perhaps lack of flexibility in re-designing) is is aiming to correct that with a multi-role Tranche 3 Typhoon, but AFAIK that is not expected to be available until ~2018...

Now onto the costs side of the Typhoon. Figures from Telegraph article from 2006 (yes, a bit dated I know...) suggest that the RAF order for 232 Typhoons was projected to reach £20 bil. or £66.7 mil. per aircraft. A more recent quote from a Register article earlier this year has the RAF programme cost expected to top £23 bil. including "planned upgrades". By my calculations, that works out to a little over £99 mil. per aircraft, or ~ USD$159 mil. per aircraft at current exchange rates, which is a higher per aircraft cost than that of the very expensive USAF F-22 Raptor programme. In short, while the Typhoon is a capable fighter, it is a very expensive one, more so than peer-level fighters like the ~USD$ 55 mil. per aircraft for the F/A-18 Super Hornet and also more than high-end estimates of the F-35 per aircraft price.

Apart from a possible deal with India involving ToT, or sales of second hand Typhoons (the RAF plans on retiring all Tranche 1 Typhoons by ~2019, some of which entered RAF servicein 2009...) I just do not see much of a future for the Typhoon. There are other aircraft already in widespread service which cost less and are already capable of performing roles which are pending development for the Typhoon, and then there are more advanced aircraft expected to enter service around the same time that the Typhoon becomes fully developed.

Had the Typhoon come out a decade early, and/or did not require further development to make it multi-role things might be different. Especially if the aircraft was not so expensive.

-Cheers

swerve

Super Moderator
Oh dear. So many myths & mistakes here.

The designers of Rafale & Typhoon would have needed time machines to have learned lessons from the Kosovo air campaign. Even the 1990-1 war was a bit too late, as both were pretty far along. What they did do was seek to add capabilities to the weapons carried, hence Taurus & Scalp/Storm Shadow, to attack fixed high-value targets such as those attacked by Tomahawk.

Typhoon was not conceived as pure air superiority aircraft. It was intended from the start to be multi-role. Air combat was given priority in development because it was a more urgent need for all the partner countries, all of them having ground attack fleets with plenty of life left in them.

...the first Typhoons which should be able to perform bombing missions appear to be specially modified RAF Typhoons, and per a Register article, they are not expected to be available to perform such roles until ~2016 ...
Lewis Page at the Register is a joke source. He has major personal issues: one might say that he gives a balanced judgement, having chips on both shoulders. He loves everything American, & hates both the RAF & RN surface officers. He's an ex RN diver, BTW.

RAF Typhoons have been dropping bombs on Libya for the last few months. 2016?

You've fallen into the classic trap of comparing costs calculated on different bases. Even if correct (& look at the source!), £99 million per aircraft is a fraction of the cost of F-22. It's the programme cost, not production cost, including all fixed costs & upgrades. Add those in for F-22, & you get a hell of a lot more than £99 mn. Just design, development & production works out to over £200 mn per, & that gives you a fleet in which the oldest aircraft need many millions spent on each of them to replace hardware which is no longer in production, & differs from that in the later batches. Throw in planned upgrades, & it goes up & up & up . . .

The production contract for Tranche 2 is €55 mn per aircraft. That's the closest you'll get to your $55 mn per F-18E, & IIRC the F-18E price doesn't include everything that the Typhoon price does.

There's plenty to criticise in the Eurofighter programme (the organisation of production is a mess, for example), but I'm afraid you're a long way off target.

Twinblade

Even if correct (& look at the source!), £99 million per aircraft is a fraction of the cost of F-22. It's the programme cost, not production cost, including all fixed costs & upgrades.
99 million pounds (if including program costs) is reasonable. Indians ordered their last batch of flankers for $100 mil. Typhoon certainly is wee bit more advanced than that.

phrank

One of the things I would say gives the F-35 a advantage over the euro fighters is that it is right at the beginning of it's life. With decades to go, not sure you can say that about the others. I also think spares and support with so many nation's buying them will be good. Part of me wonder's if we will ever see another fighter out of any of them.

Beatmaster

Oh dear. So many myths & mistakes here.

The designers of Rafale & Typhoon would have needed time machines to have learned lessons from the Kosovo air campaign. Even the 1990-1 war was a bit too late, as both were pretty far along. What they did do was seek to add capabilities to the weapons carried, hence Taurus & Scalp/Storm Shadow, to attack fixed high-value targets such as those attacked by Tomahawk.

Typhoon was not conceived as pure air superiority aircraft. It was intended from the start to be multi-role. Air combat was given priority in development because it was a more urgent need for all the partner countries, all of them having ground attack fleets with plenty of life left in them.

Lewis Page at the Register is a joke source. He has major personal issues: one might say that he gives a balanced judgement, having chips on both shoulders. He loves everything American, & hates both the RAF & RN surface officers. He's an ex RN diver, BTW.

RAF Typhoons have been dropping bombs on Libya for the last few months. 2016?

You've fallen into the classic trap of comparing costs calculated on different bases. Even if correct (& look at the source!), £99 million per aircraft is a fraction of the cost of F-22. It's the programme cost, not production cost, including all fixed costs & upgrades. Add those in for F-22, & you get a hell of a lot more than £99 mn. Just design, development & production works out to over £200 mn per, & that gives you a fleet in which the oldest aircraft need many millions spent on each of them to replace hardware which is no longer in production, & differs from that in the later batches. Throw in planned upgrades, & it goes up & up & up . . .

The production contract for Tranche 2 is €55 mn per aircraft. That's the closest you'll get to your $55 mn per F-18E, & IIRC the F-18E price doesn't include everything that the Typhoon price does.

There's plenty to criticise in the Eurofighter programme (the organisation of production is a mess, for example), but I'm afraid you're a long way off target.
Hi m8

Sorry for the late reaction but i was on holiday.

Anyway to get back on your reply, i understand what you are saying but if you would look into the future lets say 5 years and you would take all the multi-role programs out there and there achievements and progress then where would the EF and the Rafale program be? As to me it aint clear if these programs have what it takes to stand up against the US versions and possible other versions of the multi-role concept made by other big names?
I mean is the EF and the Rafale program ever going to be a first choice option to the west? or is it likely that the F-35 is going to top the class and that the EF and Rafale will be secondary options?
Obviously i understand that organization, funding and specially the lobby guys have a huge impact on the success of a program, but from what i hear is that the EF is doing a really good job in Afghanistan and Libya as a multi-role.
So if you take into account what both have achieved to far how would the future look like for the EU based multi-role programs and what would be a key thing to change so that the EF and Rafale come out swinging and ready for action?

Wallace

One of the best European aircraft 4th generation is JAS-39 GRIPEN.Sweeden aircraft is better,because has small trace to detect other enemy aircraft.Is more cheaper and also use the local roads and highroads for airfields.

Jhom

One of the best European aircraft 4th generation is JAS-39 GRIPEN.Sweeden aircraft is better,because has small trace to detect other enemy aircraft.Is more cheaper and also use the local roads and highroads for airfields.

The Grippen is more in the league of the F-16 than that of the EF or Rafale, it has less hardpoints, payload, less range, only one engine and poor thrust / weight ratio, and the sales are subdued to american veto because the engine is a Volvo licensed model of the GE 404...

It is a pretty nice solution if you cant afford anything better, but that gap in the market is monopolized by the F-16.