ESA radar

Refael

Hello everyone,

Did someone know what is the angular accuracy of an ESA antennas?

Mechanically movement antennas that move through a gimbal reach to angular accuracy of 10 micro radian. This data given in the brochures.

In the brochures of ESA antennas I don't find any mention of accuracy.

thanking you in advance,
Refael.

joseca

ESA RADAR, is it not AESA?

Independently of the RADAR or Beam the RADAR only depend of the control logic, Good antenna and bad logic is the same bad antenna and good logic.

In the mechanical radar, depend of the encoder in the shaft, and the AESA depend of the phaser.

best regards

Refael

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I need some numbers...

Thank u on your answer.

But I need some numbers on this accuracy.

If I want the beam to look at 10.01 degrees, what is the range of the degrees that I can get?

In the brochures of gimbals, it's usually mentioned the accuracy (In degrees or micro radians) but in the brochures of AESA there is no mention of accuracy.

P.S.
ESA = Electronically Steered Array Antenna
AESA = Active ESA
It doesn't matter for my question, I think.

Thanks,
Refael

My2Cents

Too many variables to give an answer. Some of the major factors include:

Transmitting or Receiving
Dimensions of the antenna array
Number of elements in array
Design of the individual elements
Number of time increments
Element coordination
Processing capabilities and choice of algorithms

If you are dealing with a conformal array, you can also add the degree of coordination between the different pieces of the array.

There are many more factors, and I have probably mislabeled several of these.

Refael

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
O.K. so I can at least to say that...

I can at least to say that ESA is more accurate than gimbal, because the first is electronically and the second is mechanically?

joseca

I can at least to say that ESA is more accurate than gimbal, because the first is electronically and the second is mechanically?
With the same electronics, mechanical is more accurate, than AESA, AESA is more quick, and provides scan speed very high. therefore, it could be tracking more TGT than mechanical.

The future AESA doesnt have a beam, in SSR only in PSR mode and it provides scan with other source RADAR, for example the E3 Sentry send the signal and any fighter recover the signals and read the TGT, all in SSR without MIDS, and you can to use the enemy RADARs as source

this system is using since 1960 in the cobraball