EA/18G Growler

Falstaff

mate do you have a link??? Its kind of hard to read, or did you scan it from a magazine?
I'm sorry mate I got it from a guy from the sinodefence-forum. BTW I use the Firefox-browser with which I can zoom in. I can read it quite well.

rjmaz1 said:
Good to see yet ANOTHER air power australia link... I would not put so much trust in someone who is so strongly against the F-35. APA excludes certain info.. and assumes certain things to come to the doom and gloom conclusion that the F-35 is inferior. At the time of that article APA didn't even know the speed of the F-35. They just assumed that because the F-35's public top speed is only Mach 1.6 that it will cruise at less than half that speed which is not true. The F-22's cruising speed is Mach 1.6 yet its top speed is only slightly higher due to its fixed inlets. Its good to see the Australian government does not take any notice of them, it is a shame that some people here believe everything they say as gospel.

Has anyone here who is against the F-35 and Super Hornet providee any evidence other than a link to Air Power Australia?

Also that thrust to weight diagram is incorrect.. Aussie Digger posted some rough calculations which completely contradict APA.
I guess everyone knows about Carlo "Danger-Doc" Kopp's opinion. However, at least APA-links are more than you have to offer besides your somehwat foggy inside knowledge and slightly confusing reasoning. It has been said to you again and again, please provide sources other than your so-called "reliable sources".

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Im the one saying that variable inlets DO NOT make the Raptor and F-35 obselete. It definitely however restricts the top speed of the aircraft, which is never used anyway.
Fixed inlets do not necessarily resrict the top speed of an aircraft

• the inlet is designed for the "mean" requirement
  • the inlet can also include a shock ramp - which can provide a similar function to a variable inlet
  • an inlet with a shock ramp is also going to be designed with reflection consideration issues in mind
  • and its also the shape of the inlet and surrounding furniture that counts (eg chines, position etc....)
ramjets have variable inlets - and they travel a tad faster than your average jet

I can think of any number of mach 2.5+ aircraft that have fixed inlets.

Last edited:

Occum

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Further Links

mate do you have a link??? Its kind of hard to read, or did you scan it from a magazine?
Ozzy Blizzard and Falstaff -

An even better and more current read may be found here -

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker.html

Wooki -

Ozzy Blizzard is right. Citing data and information that has been put into the public domain is fine, provided full attribution is given and the author's rights are not prejudiced in any way. After all, that is one of the reasons why people publish - to inform and contribute to the knowledge base.

By the way, your concerns about 'grudges' and 'protection orders' are just rumours being regurgitated by people from people who would like them to think such things are true. Having spent a considerable amount of time working with and getting to know both Dr Carlo Kopp and Mr Peter Goon as well as their associates, I can assure you such rumours are baseless. Such rumours are just defence mindguards and their apparatchicks doing their thing. Afterall they have a belief system to protect.

:idea2

Some other sites you may find informative, of interest, insightful of the Australian Defence scene, or just plain over the top and worth a giggle or three are -

http://www.strategycenter.net/

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/

http://www.ada.asn.au/

http://geocities.com/element1loop/index.html?200718

There is also a page on the APA site that colleagues of mine over your way found extremely helpful since it enabled them to talk about such things with plausible denial as to what they do and their own sources. This, believe, was one of the reasons for this page being published open source. It may be found at -

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-PLA-AFBs.html

This is a significant body of work.

;)

Last edited:

Ozzy Blizzard

Im the one saying that variable inlets DO NOT make the Raptor and F-35 obselete. It definitely however restricts the top speed of the aircraft, which is never used anyway. BKNO and Ozzy Blizzard are going around posting top speeds to compare aircraft. So they are the ones that are saying not variable inlets make the aircraft obsolete. If the F-22 and F-35 had variable inlets they will no doubt be travelling much quicker and would look better in such unrealistic comparison on specifications.
Mate. For one thing you posted that a SU 30 would NEVER reach Mach 2 in combat and therefore the F35 had a kinematic advantage which is total BS.

The Flanker is designed to reach these speeds and it can in a reasonable A2A combat configuration. This isnt cruse speed and it is only achieved using wet thrust, therefore it can only be used in short bursts. This does give it a real advantage over the F35 and SH. It effectively lowers the NEZ for the AIM 120D and expands it for the R27/R77. It allows the Flanker to disengage, and it allows the Flanker to move in and out of the effective missile envelope of the SH and the F35 at will, which they can not do. And this is only its effect in BVR. Extra energy in WVR is ALLWAYS usefull. There is more to do with kinemetic advantage than simply the cruising speed a, allthough super cruse and to a lesser extent high cruse speed is very usefull it does not however automaticaly mean an aircraft is a better kinematic performer.

I never said that non variable inlets made an aircraft obsolete, you put words into my mouth. i would think the reason variable intackes were not fitted to the F35 would have more to do with RCS reduction, than them not being usefull. However the F35 is limited to mach 1.5/6, and it cant supercurse. You know why??? Because it wasent designed to be a good kinematic performer! It was designed to be a lethal and survivable close air support and battlefield interdiction platform and it will be exellent in these roles. Its engine was designed to be efficient at high subsonic speeds and lower altitudes because this is the area it will be performing those rolles in. To claim that just becaus the F35 can only perform in this performance range that no other platform (apart from the F22) can perfom outside it, or that it would be usefull too is totaly illogical and compleatly unrealistic.

The US has no doubt done its research and realised that the F-35 can no doubt perform all its missions and missions of other countries with a top speed of only mach 1.6. The USAF will use information from all sources to create its doctrine. To say information and tactics from the F-117 and B-1b have not been used in the F-35 is ludacris
To compare the B1b or F117 to the F35 is ludacris. For one thing they have COMPLEATLY different roles to the F35. In the F117's case its role is being fulfilled by the F22 not the F35. the F35 is not designed as a deep strike platform and it was never intended to be one. The F22 was and will fulfill this role in the USAF. And when did the B1b or F117 have anything to do with air superiority???

We all know how many flight hours Russian aircraft have in their airframes and engines.. If the SuperHornets were crashing into the deck at 150 knots they wont last long.
No i dont. Do you have any numbers relating to structural problems in Su 33's and whether they have significantly shorter lifespans than SH or bugs?

Someone just answered my post 46 minutes ago....

Good to see yet ANOTHER air power australia link... I would not put so much trust in someone who is so strongly against the F-35. APA excludes certain info.. and assumes certain things to come to the doom and gloom conclusion that the F-35 is inferior. At the time of that article APA didn't even know the speed of the F-35. They just assumed that because the F-35's public top speed is only Mach 1.6 that it will cruise at less than half that speed which is not true. The F-22's cruising speed is Mach 1.6 yet its top speed is only slightly higher due to its fixed inlets. Its good to see the Australian government does not take any notice of them, it is a shame that some people here believe everything they say as gospel.

Has anyone here who is against the F-35 and Super Hornet providee any evidence other than a link to Air Power Australia?

Also that thrust to weight diagram is incorrect.. Aussie Digger posted some rough calculations which completely contradict APA.

Weight: ~12.7 tons (F-35A) vs ~17.7 tons (SU-30)
Internal Fuel: ~8.4 tons (F-35A; configuration 240-4.7) vs ~9.4 tons (SU-30; max. overload w/modifications)
Fuel Fraction: ~0.40 (F-35A) vs ~0.35 (SU-30MK)
Wing Area: 42.7 sq-m (F-35A) vs 62 sq-m (SU-30)
Engine type: 1 x P&W F135-PW-100 (F-35A) vs 2 x Saturn AL-31FL (SU-30MK)
Engine bypass: 0.57:1 (F-35A) vs 0.59:1 (SU-30MK)
Engine thrust (A/B): 19.5 tons (F-35A) vs 24.9 tons (SU-30MK)
Engine thrust (Dry): 12.7 tons (F-35A) vs 15.3 tons (SU-30MK)
Thrust to weight (A/B w/50% fuel): 1.15:1 (F-35A) vs 1.11:1 (SU-30MK)
Thrust to weight (Dry w/50% fuel): 0.75:1 (F-35A) vs 0.68:1 (SU-30MK)
Radar: 700mm class AESA (F-35A) vs 1000mm class MSA or PESA (SU-30MK)
RCS: ~0.0014 sq-m (F-35A) vs ~10 sq-m (SU-30MK)
Why is it whenever somone sights APA people dont deal with the argument being put forward, they just take the easy way out and attack PAP's credentials.

Kopp puts forward a pretty persuasive and comprehensive argument.

For one thing the F22's top speed is clasified, and i'm pretty sure its in exess of Mach 2, thats more than just a bit. And you cant blame that article for using the information available at the time. An updated version can be found at the link Occum posted with up to date public data.

As for as AD numbers, i could find a couple of things omitted or innacurate about them too. For one thing the RCS. What angle and frequency????? Both of those variables are kind of important. And i've got a funny feeling the F35 is from the frontal aspect and the flanker is total. And what type of radar? The F35's stealth is "narrowband" and is designed to be more effective against X band fire controll radars, not lower frequency radars. And what about the comparative wing loading? Or pitch roll and yaw rates in all flight regimes? What about thrust vectoring or canards? What about usefull (i.e. internal AAM's for the F35 if it intends to keep that RCS) payload?

Could you outline exactly what things are ommited or assumed by kopp? You would have to assume they are some pretty masive points to turn a whole argument. So what exactly are they?????????

For one thing i'm not "against" the F35. I think it will be excellent at the roles it was intended and designed for, namely CAS and BID. However i don't automaticaly think it will outperform other platforms at roles it was not intended and to a large extent is not properly equiped for. The "Pro" F35 camp in here (if there is such a thing) seem to think that it can outperform any other platform apart from the F22 at A2A combat, when this was never part of its design specifications (it was intended to be capable at A2A but the F22 was the air superiority fighter), even when facing platforms as capable as Advanced Flanker variants, or in comparison to the equally capable Eurocanards. It will be totaly relyant on its "narrowband" LO, that was only intended to be a defensive measure for SAM and A2A missile shots and fire controll radars, and i for one am scheptical that this can make up for its many deficiencies in the air superiority role.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Wooki -

By the way, your concerns about 'grudges' and 'protection orders' are just rumours being regurgitated by people from people who would like them to think such things are true. Having spent a considerable amount of time working with and getting to know both Dr Carlo Kopp and Mr Peter Goon as well as their associates, I can assure you such rumours are baseless. Such rumours are just defence mindguards and their apparatchicks doing their thing. Afterall they have a belief system to protect.
See the problem here for me can be broken down like this:

1) My work/employment to a large extent relies upon the credibility of defense personnel

2) As such you can argue that I spend a lot of time defending defense personnel because;

a) I'm a nationlist and
b) I have a vested interest in doing so.

Personally I would like to add (c) because I am a nice guy.

So, you will find me making comments which give the benefit of the doubt to an ex serviceman or woman by default.

It doesn't however, remove my brain.

The unfortunate aspect for Peter Goon (is it? excuse me if I have it wrong) Dr. Kopp and myself is that we happen to live in free societies where anyone is free to sue another person, just because they want to. The reason someone sues does not have to be based on fact, it is based upon personal desire to do so.

This being the case, the general premise of determining who or what a good citizen is is then defined by staying out of court and out of the "trial by media".

Now we come back to my general stance on defense personnel.

If same Australian type personnel (note plural and whom I trust) then state to moi that Mr. Goon has had this unfortunate event thrust upon him by a serving officer, what do I do?

I register it, but make no comment.

Then combined with this unfortunate episode comes Mr Goon's behavior at public senate meetings (or hearings I think you call them, someone else more knowledgeable can help me out here with the appropriate PDF from Defense) on this very debate. It was less then stella. I was most interested and came away most disappointed.

Which means (subconsciously) I guess my mind has been made up.

I think the whole debate is rather silly and it begs the question why does Mr. Goon and Dr. Kopp even bother?

Why are they arguing against the F-35 and mores the point, what are they actually arguing? For example: I read that Dr. Kopp had taken a ride on a "Super Hornet" and had quite a good time and even endorsed the aircraft. I read his article (on APA I think it was) and found it most enjoyable. A year or so later I read that Australia has selected the Super Hornet as a risk mitigation measure. Not long afterwards I also read a series of papers defaming the Super Hornet and presumably these papers are sourced from APA.

What is going on?

One year they (APA) give the impression they want the Super Hornet and the next they don't.

My only surmise is that APA have a commercial agenda. My 2 cents worth of Advice (with a capital 'a') to any commercial entities in APA (Presumably Mr. Goon, I guess) would be to drop it and move onto something else that will make him money.

I mean, seriously: There comes a time when a person with an entrepeneurial spirit has to make the choice between being a "good at something" animal to being a "good at making money" animal and I think Mr. Goon and Dr. Kopp have reached that cross road.

I would further suggest that to win the "trial by media" that both gentleman would be well served by doing what the ABDR reporter (Mr. Gubler) did a few days ago and post a corrective article clearly identifying themselves. as after all, this board is a form of media and that would shut a lot of people up, or, at the very least add credibilty and clarity to their position.

Why? Because they have already entered the arena through News Papers and the like.

Cheers

w

P.S. and apols for breaking the forum rules and not sending a PM earlier to ozzie blizzard...

Last edited:

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Am I the only one disgusted by this? Now I may not be a professional ‘Authorship Identity Analyst’ who could give admissible evidence in court testifying to the obvious identity of the above aliases. But I have read enough forwarded emails, articles and the transcript of the senate enquiry to quite easily identify that Ozzy Blizzard and Occum are the very people they constantly laud, ie Dr Carlo Kopp and Peter Goon. There unique and distinctive language usage and writing style is clearly obvious.

Now I have nothing against people using aliases here or on any public forum, looks like everyone is doing it. I doubt ‘Aussie Digger’ is his christened name unless he is the missing Zappa child, etc. However coming online here under an alias and talking about how great one’s own work is – is just sickening.

Then of course despite the APA work being voluminous is it of any real value? The overwhelming number of industry professionals says it is crap. The overwhelming number of aircraft enthusiast says it is great. Who do you want to trust?

Then there are the obvious conflict of interest. Kopp and Goon constantly refer in there air combat capability force structure offerings to their own submission to the Air 6000 project, the ‘Australian Industry Proposal’. This is the very same force structure (F-22 and an evolved F-111) they arguing for, supposedly now as an independent lobby group. This is a clear and quite pathetic conflict of interest that would make former Senator from Queensland Santo Santoro blush.

This is why they are so against the Super Hornet. Sure the JSF was a competitor to the F-22 which according to APA was bad. But Super Hornet is worse it’s the end of any chance of their pet proposal the evolved F-111.

Why do they want the evolved F-111 so much? Sure they think it’s a good idea and their egos are caught up in their brainchild but the clincher is they wanted $2 billion from the Commonwealth to build it. Now who would get that money? A significant slice would go to both Kopp and Goon or maybe Ozzy Blizzard and Occum would like to disagree?

So we’ve had a five month smear campaign and now since the media and the political process has dried up for them with little effect except tarnishing the ADF and the RAAF’s professional reputation we have the online effort.

ELP

Hi Wooki,

Just my opinion, I didn't read the initial flight Kopp took in the Super Hornet as any kind of endorsement. It may have been fun but I didn't read anything into it that stated endorsement for RAAF service.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi Wooki,

Just my opinion, I didn't read the initial flight Kopp took in the Super Hornet as any kind of endorsement. It may have been fun but I didn't read anything into it that stated endorsement for RAAF service.
You didn't? I got the impression from the article that it was a Boeing PR exercise and they wanted to get Carlo's favorable opinion and they did.

Each to their own I guess.

cheers

w

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Am I the only one disgusted by this? Now I may not be a professional ‘Authorship Identity Analyst’ who could give admissible evidence in court testifying to the obvious identity of the above aliases. But I have read enough forwarded emails, articles and the transcript of the senate enquiry to quite easily identify that Ozzy Blizzard and Occum are the very people they constantly laud, ie Dr Carlo Kopp and Peter Goon. Their unique and distinctive language usage and writing style is clearly obvious.

Now I have nothing against people using aliases here or on any public forum, looks like everyone is doing it. I doubt ‘Aussie Digger’ is his christened name unless he is the missing Zappa child, etc. However coming online here under an alias and talking about how great one’s own work is – is just sickening.

Either fess up or don’t pretend to be an independent third party endorsing/promoting your own work. If you want to do that there’s a place for it; it’s called Wikipedia.

Then of course despite the APA work being voluminous is it of any real value? The overwhelming number of industry professionals says it is crap. The overwhelming number of aircraft enthusiast says it is great. Who do you want to trust? The arguments in favor of it are all self supporting.

Then there is the obvious conflict of interest. Kopp and Goon constantly refer in their air combat capability force structure offerings to their own submission to the Air 6000 project, the ‘Australian Industry Proposal’. This is the very same force structure (F-22 and an evolved F-111) they are arguing for, supposedly now as an independent lobby group. This is a clear and quite pathetic conflict of interest that would make former Senator from Queensland Santo Santoro blush.

This is why they are so against the Super Hornet. Sure the JSF was a competitor to the F-22 which according to APA was bad. But Super Hornet is worse as it’s the end of any chance for their pet proposal the evolved F-111.

Why do they want the evolved F-111 so much? Sure they think it’s a good idea and their egos are caught up in their brainchild but the clincher is they want $2 billion from the Commonwealth to build it. Now who would get that money? A significant slice would go to both Kopp and Goon or maybe Ozzy Blizzard and Occum would like to disagree?

So we’ve had a five month smear campaign and now since the media and the political process has dried up for them with little effect except tarnishing the ADF and the RAAF’s professional reputation we have the online effort.

But boys you’ve failed and you’ve lost. I was at a seminar put on by the Australian Homeland Security Research Centre last Monday featuring Joel Fitzgibbon the ALP Shadow Minister for Defence. And you know what he said? He said the great thing about the Super Hornet is it gives us breathing room on the JSF. The F-111 is history and at the most the first F-35 buy will be pushed back to beyond LRIP.

Take Wooki’s advice and find something constructive to do with your time.

A

Aussie Digger

Mod edit: Ladies and Gentleman, whilst I am not innocent of this myself, let's move back to discussing the thread title that being: F/A18F officially selected for Australia.

Any further discussions in relation to Occum and Ozzie personally can be taken to PM I should think.

Cheers

AD.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Re below. I am re-opening the thread with the following caveats in place:
- Take personal differences off line
- Stay Civil
- If individual posters upset you, then either PM a solution - or ignore them

Can we also recognise that academic discussions of this nature mean that public domain information does not have the same authority level as protected information - and its not always possible for some to respond with specifics.

As a classic example of this I refer to my involvement with acoustic tech and issues of subs etc...

Platform to Platform discussions based on publicly available data are invariably flawed and exercises in preference rather than absolutes. If you don't see all the data, then you can only make a compartmentalised comment about competency. That, like it or not is a harsh but relevant reality.

eg one of the members in here was involved with the YF-23. He's never made public comment about it. - ever.

This post has been stuck in the cooler for a week.Everyone calm down and think about posting etiquette for a while.

Last edited:

rjmaz1

It is a shame that military procurement is such a long process. We will eventually see how good the F-35 performs in the coming years. Performance figures will be leaked to the public fairly quickly due to the program being an international project and we will see just how well it stacks up, not only against the SU-30 but against other western aircraft fighting for sales.

Next decade we will see if the growing threat of SU-30's eventuates. For all we know Australia's neighbours may not introduce as many new aircraft as anticipated leaving Australia with a clear advantage in numbers and capability.

For those that fear the SU-30 has an advantage over the F-35 i hope you dont loose too much sleep over this issue. My opinion is that the F-35 will blow any future SU-30's out of the air, not because of speed but because i believe IRST will not outclass the F-35's stealth and advanced radar. I take it the RAAF also agree's otherwise they would not be so keen on the F-35.

The Super Hornet may well have a hard time against the latest SU-30's one on one. However by the time any large amount of SU-30's appears in the region the F-35 should arrive. In the short term the Super Hornet will give us a big advantage as in a few years Indonesia's Suhkoi's may still be unarmed.

We can argue until we're red in the face but a good phrase i once heard.. "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.. even if you win your still retarded."

Ozzy Blizzard

It is a shame that military procurement is such a long process. We will eventually see how good the F-35 performs in the coming years. Performance figures will be leaked to the public fairly quickly due to the program being an international project and we will see just how well it stacks up, not only against the SU-30 but against other western aircraft fighting for sales.
I have to agree with this statement. We will see whether the F35 will live up to the huge expectations being placed on it that go well beyond its intended capabilities. I for one hope it does.

Next decade we will see if the growing threat of SU-30's eventuates. For all we know Australia's neighbours may not introduce as many new aircraft as anticipated leaving Australia with a clear advantage in numbers and capability.
We dont know whether the SU30 threat will eventuate or not, we also dont know whether the F35 will eventuate or not. Its interesting that you talk of australian capabilities in absolouts and threat capabilities as though they are unrealistic.

For those that fear the SU-30 has an advantage over the F-35 i hope you dont loose too much sleep over this issue. My opinion is that the F-35 will blow any future SU-30's out of the air, not because of speed but because i believe IRST will not outclass the F-35's stealth and advanced radar. I take it the RAAF also agree's otherwise they would not be so keen on the F-35.
I agree the F35 will have the sensor advantage due to its radar and LO. However it will be less capable in allmost every other perameter. We will see if a SA advantage can overcome serious deficiecies in allmost every other aspect of A2A performance, the RAAF will be counting on it. And as far as the RAAF's interest in the project, the MOD has delayed the desision quite a bit which shows they may not be as red hot as you imply. It is the stated platform of choice, and it will fulfill most of the RAAF's requirements. However it may be the all F35 concept that is being reviewed, and hopefully a dedicated Air superiority platform will be chosen to equip the 4th squadron. Then the F35 can function as part of the Hi Low mix it was allways indended to. AD said himself that the USAF never intended the F35 to be used without the F22 providing air superiority cover. Yet the RAAF will be using the platform in a role it was not intended, designed or to a lagre extent equiped for.

The Super Hornet may well have a hard time against the latest SU-30's one on one. However by the time any large amount of SU-30's appears in the region the F-35 should arrive. In the short term the Super Hornet will give us a big advantage as in a few years Indonesia's Suhkoi's may still be unarmed.
There are allready large numbers of SU 30's in "threat" nations, although you seem to think the only nation's that need to be conssidered are indonesia and malaysia. Its funny how you omit the only threat nations that actualy pose some sort of a "threat". Memebrs here have a tendancy to consider nations that the RAAF can easily handle, yet omit nations that we would have trouble with, even though they poses more capability to project power into the air sea gap and northen Australia itself, i.e. pose a threat, than indonesia or malaysia could hope to. Seems this tendancy is usualy aimed at achieving a certain conclusion.

We can argue until we're red in the face but a good phrase i once heard.. "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.. even if you win your still retarded."
I hope this is not directed at anyone in particular, as you are just as guilty as the rest of us.

This debate does not have any consequences. We're not desision makers, nor does this discussion have any effect on them. We're not "playing for sheep stations" as my Nan used to say. This whole debate is only intended to be fun and informative (allthough sometimes heated) and is just an exchange of ideas. None of the conclusions here are definite. All the comparisons here are based on publicly available information which may not be correct, although given the public nature of this forum, and the clasified nature of classified data, the conclusions drawn may not be accurate in reality. However since most of us dont have accses to classified information and it can not be used in this discussion it is basicly irelevent to this debate. So whats wrong with argueing over public data? Isn't that why were all here?

BKNO

Banned Member
rjmaz1 Im the one saying that variable inlets DO NOT make the Raptor and F-35 obselete. It definitely however restricts the top speed of the aircraft, which is never used anyway. BKNO and Ozzy Blizzard are going around posting top speeds to compare aircraft. So they are the ones that are saying not variable inlets make the aircraft obsolete. If the F-22 and F-35 had variable inlets they will no doubt be travelling much quicker and would look better in such unrealistic comparison on specifications.
Actually my point is FAR from being what you make of it.

Variable inlets only reduces the pressure in front of the engine blade compressor allowing for a higher mach than what the engine would allow with a one-shock inlet, typicaly Mach 2.0, since the F-22 possesed vents to do just that its actual Max Mach is higer than it would be without although these are not as effiscient as a 4 or even a 5 shock inlet allowing for M 2.5/2.8/3.0.

More to the point, you guys keep focusing on the subject of engines as it was somewhere near as simple as "more power= more speed".

In real life it is not so, engine design are optimised for different roles, altitudes and Machs and airframe aerodynamics are the main factor to any aircraft to achieve a top speed, lets not forget that F-135 is derivated form the STVOL for all versions thus as After-burner is not used in this part of the flight envelop, maximum DRY output is optimised for low altitudes.

To figure that one out you can either read a lot of aerodynamic ouvrages and define your design standards from there or use manufacturers datas.

Alternatively if you do BOTH you can recoup these two sources and get closer to the real performances.

Politico-Industrial history also play a role here:

Requierements = design = performances.

rjmaz1 The US has no doubt done its research and realised that the F-35 can no doubt perform all its missions and missions of other countries with a top speed of only mach 1.6. The USAF will use information from all sources to create its doctrine.
Quote the USAF service ias for 04/08/99: "In fact, it sees no way to have the JSF without the F-22. At $30 million a copy, the JSF will be an affordable attack aircraft because it does not have to perform the F-22's stealthy air-superiority mission, the service argues."
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/1999/08/04/54593/stealth-shackled.html

It seems to me that you're believeing L-M commercials a little too much and keep ingonring the reason behind F-22 supercruise capabilties equierements...

The USAF never envisaged the use of F-35 without F-22 in high-threat scenarios, neither did they envisage the use of F-35 as air-superiority fighter, their early staments proves it, the fact that L-M now advertises their new product as an air superiority fighter doesnt change neither its A2A capabilties, the lack of supercruise and high dash speed nor its performances.

Plus, the USAF didn't go away from their previous Hi-Lo couple phylosophie either.

The difference is that F-22 is the dedicated A2A aircraft and the "Hi bit" of it and that with F-35 you only will got the "Lo bit".

On the subject of avionics, IR and Optronics, if you loose etslth you loose most of its advantages too and according towhat WE know it's only a question of time...

A few newbies from Europe:

World first: Developement and Production of high power/low working temperature GaN components (2006) future implication = Band X AESAs.

World first: Infrared seekers, MADRID, a DGA issued Request for Proposals (RFP) for a low cost, anti-surface Rigid Imaging Infrared Seeker demonstrator with a strap-down architecture and new generation (SOFRADIR) IR detectors.

Breakthrough = Emergence of a large format infrared detector that helped to simplify the homing head line-of-sight system.

Another world first: Caladiom Camera.
http://www.defense.gouv.fr/dga/votr...un_capteur_optique_unique_au_monde_recompense

An "Artificial" retina, CMOS programmable, which each individual pixel posseses a 45 bits processor.

Miniaturised computing power, integrated in each pixel, at the closest to the photons capture point is a world FIRST and a major technologic breakthrough.

Main advantages are: Movement detection, no need to produce an image for alert, extremly high sensitivity for low power consuption (<1.8W).

Electronic cortex piloting the retina carry over high-level treatments of situational analysis and only transmit alert as well as synthetic issues of these analysis.

The technology demonstrator, issued from bolométric technology have been succesfuly tested and R&D programme extended to carry the technology to IR Imagery, the goal being to create an IR Caladiom.

>>>>>

It doesn't take much to understand where these techologies will find a useful implication in the near futur:

DGA have been in negotiation since 2004 for with the industials to develop and produce new generation sensors, (EM/IR) including AESA radars with optimised gallium arsenide T/R modules, GaN T/R modules (which are now in production but ONLY GaN waffers of 3 inch diameter vs 6 inche diameter for AsGa), new generation Optronics/IR/Near-IR for both A2A and A2G, new generation missile alert detectors and possible new generation IR seekers for Meteor (and MICAs?)...

The whole of these systems should have find their ways into service around 2012 together with Target Automatic Identification capabilities developed both for active (radar) and passive (Optronic) sensors by ONERA/Thales and BAe.

Now remind me of the potential of these technologies as well as that of F-35 sceduled service entry please...

You guys might not be aware of the developements which have been taking place over the past 6/7 years over here for for us (and as i believe the US are following suite i think they know some we dont read often in forums), weither L.O both EM and IR can be beaten effisciently and continuously is even not our concern anymore, just a matter of time.

So at the end of the day, when F-35 enter service it will be pited vs airframes with high growth potential (futur upgrades) and mostly higher performances from today.

That's WHY i believe there is such a high volume of commercial activities aroundf-35 now and why an aircraft such as the Boeing F/A-18 E/F/G might well present Australia with a better alternative than F-35 considering that a F-22 would be the "High" of the USAF hi-lo couple...

As i say, fit the S-H with a proper avionic and Optronic and you're in buziness...

Ozzy Blizzard 1. How can an IRST pick up a target without being cued from Radar? I have read reports of advanced ESM being able to cue IRST, is this possible and if so is it usefull?
Not only possible but it actually works EXACTLY like a radar in search and track mode it is also multi-target capable.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/1999/06/09/51953/seeker-gets-on-track.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/1999/05/05/50879/tests-begin-on-rafale-optronics.html

Ozzy Blizzard2. Can a platform make a usefull IR BVR guided missile shot from its IRST data alone, or does it need accurate range information? (i am under the impression that a single IRST even advansed models can not give range information, and therefore multiple sensors are needed in order to triangulate range)
From whar we know it IS the couple BVR IR/FSO which provides with BVR engagement capabilties. New generation seekers allow for a much extended detection range than the previous and can also be used as FLIR.

The passive homing head enables completely "silent" interceptions when it is used with an OSF (Front Sector Optronics). The pilot can also use the MICA IR for discrete optronics monitoring, in addition to the active monitoring radar on his aircraft throughout the duration of the mission.
http://www.mbda.co.uk/

Coupled with the FSO a MICA IR would be able to be fired beyhond 60 km which, have bee "squadron noises" reported as actually being curently achieved as an optimum detection and lock range, more to it, sensor fusion increases the capabilties of BOTH the OSF and AAM.

Ozzy Blizzard RE the Typhoon vs Raptor. I have a hard time believing claims that without stealth things are allmost equal between these two platforms, especialy sinse they come from a Typhoon pilot. Correct me if i'm wrong but even without stealth, Raptor holds the kinematic advantage by a mile, is more manuverable in all flight regimes, has a far superior LPI radar system, has heaps more internal fuel and enjoys drag free weapons bays. So i'm struggleing to see how the Typhoon is even close. And thats without LO.

I DONT think so. F-22 flight envelop is far from being greater than that of a Typhoon appart for its supercruise and top speeds, its TVC doesn't function the way you imagine it does appart for airshows and at the end of the day, maneuvrability = wingload, for instantaneous turn rate, wingload + TWR for sustained turn rate.

During close combat between the two, Typhoon pilots had the upper hand and reported this too.

Raptor TVC helps it in the instantaneous turn rate dpt but not to the point where it can beat either a Typhoon or a Rafale.

To give you a clue: Typhoon Max AoA is 70*, Gripen 90* AoA, Rafale passed 100* and 40 kt negative speed , on aerodynamics only, in effect a COBRA maneuvre without TVC.

What i posted were the comments of professional and highly trained pilots, believe what you might, it doesn't make any difference, these guys generally tells it as it is and too bad if the legend of the US superiority suffers.

swerve At 42000 feet, the speed of sound is lower than at sea level - only about 650 mph or 1050 km/h. 1000 knots is about 1850 km/h, i.e. almost M1.8 at that altitude.
It all depends on HOW manufacturers give their airspeed...

When not corrected the difference at this sort of altitude is <.> 0.2 M or <> 30%.

The famous </> 1.200 mph of L-M is not making the airframe Mach limit higher than M 1.6 it only indicate a data in non-KCAS, for the same data a F/A-18E/F is given for 1.390 mp/h by Boeing = M 1.8.

What matters in fact is the designed Mach limit of the airframe not really the predicted airspeed corresponding to (ever changing) flight conditions.

Last edited:

ELP

I DONT think so. F-22 flight envelop is far from being greater than that of a Typhoon, its TVC doesnt function the way you imagine it does and at the end of the day, maneuvrability = wingload, for instantaneous turn rate, wingload + TWR for sustained turn rate.

During close combat between the two, Typhoon pilots had the upper hand and reported this too.

Raptor TVC helps it in the instantaneous turn rate dpt but not to the point where it can beat either a Typhoon or a Rafale. To give you a clue: Typhoon Max AoA is 70*, Gripen 90* AoA, Rafale passed 100* and 40 kt negative speed , on aerodynamics only, in effect a COBRA maneuvre without TVC.

What i posted were the comments of professional and highly trained pilots, believe what you might, it doesn't make any difference, these guys generally tells it as it is and too bad if the legend of the US superiority suffers.

It all depends on HOW manufacturers give their airspeed...

When not corrected the difference at this sort of altitude is <.> 0.2 M.

The famous </> 1.200 mph of L-M is not making the airframe Mach limit higher than M 1.6 it only indicate a data in non-KCAS, for the same data a F/A-18E/F is given for 1.390 mp/h by Boeing = M 1.8.

What matters in fact is the designed Mach limit of the airframe not really the predicted airspeed corresponding to (ever changing) flight conditions.
Off-topic - SH is now mach 1.6 ( look at the Boeing site ). And don't expect that much with the wheezbox with a useful warload on.

Typhoon out performing F-22. Interesting story and not anything that will bring any Typhoon pilots back alive consistently-

-Typhoon is legacy- No problem here, F-22 will have the Typhoon acquired first. With an AMRAAM shot high and fast, with F-22 AMRAAM shots get a 50% range increase right off the bat.
-Typhoon having to depend on IRST. This won't save one or be constant if WX doesn't cooperate.
-Fuel economy-battle-space mobility. A legacy like Typhoon attempting to do F-22 like super-cruise runs into fuel economy issues. Typhoon comes in at about 9900 internal -/+. In an attempt to take on F-22 it will risk getting bingo fueled to death when pressing.
-Most exercises now with WVR vs. F-22 are done to give the legacy exerciser something to do, as most don't enjoy getting taken out of the game with no usable response, which happens a lot. F-22 may be able to turn and burn to a good degree, but the tactics of using it for the most part don't require this, there is more times than not no reason to go WVR to risk giving the other guy a chance at a shot. There is no reason to fight fair. WVR will be done when it is clear enough there is a shot with the other side not having any advantage and or worn down from having whole parts of the team killed off and being low on fuel.
-At the end of the day, all the Typhoon is, is a legacy, although with what it is, definitely one of the best legacies. For a legacy it's only real short coming is with two mouths to feed, a small amount of internal fuel. Drop tanks are a help but other legacies can use them too. It's fuel volume is no where near an advanced Flanker.
-Typhoon is an outstanding legacy jet. Lets not make it something it is not.

--------------

rjmaz1 said:

This is about the most sensible post I have ever seen on the topic of those that think the F-35/Super Hornet combo is good enough. Good post.

jaffo4011

elp,

hate to go here again but its not a foregone conclusion that that the f22 is going to have a bvr advantage over the typhoon...see below(again!) please.........

quote;Just got a copy of International Air Power Review, Volume 20. It has an excellent article on the Eurofighter Typhoon and the real surprise came for me while reading the second page of the article (page 45 of the magazine). Typhoon has deployed to the US for tests by the Operational Evaluation Unit (OEU), presumably from England. In skirmishes with the F-22A, the Typhoon dominated the Within Visual Range engagements and apparently this really didn't surprise anyone because Typhoon is known for having outstanding agility. When it scored a radar lock on the F-22A at Beyond Visual Range, that caused quite a stir.

in fact its the f22 which has apparently been made 'into something its not'.i would imagine that the usaaf jocks were more than a little disappointed when they didnt achieve air superiority against a 'european' aircraft.
in fact i think to date that the real revelations has been the performance of the typhoon and its systems....

Last edited:

BKNO

Banned Member
ELP Off-topic - SH is now mach 1.6 ( look at the Boeing site ). And don't expect that much with the wheezbox with a useful warload on.
Depends what you maen by useful. 6 AAMs are very useful and quiet low drag too...

ELP Typhoon out performing F-22. Interesting story and not anything that will bring any Typhoon pilots back alive consistently-
True that but again, we're talking about the benchmark when it comes to A2A duety...

ELP -Typhoon is legacy- No problem here, F-22 will have the Typhoon acquired first. With an AMRAAM shot high and fast, with F-22 AMRAAM shots get a 50% range increase right off the bat.
Legacy? No it isn't. Legacy fiughters are listed by L-M and are the following: F-16, F-18, Harrier II.

Typhoon and other 4th generation aircraft have little to do with this.

As for the advantage in fire range, this occurs for a F-22 flying at <> 60.000 ft and M 1.5 vs a low, subsonic target if you refer to the advantage of AAM range due to kinetiq energy transfert.

For the rest there is little between the RAF AIM-120 and the USAF C5s in terms of range...

ELP -Typhoon having to depend on IRST. This won't save one or be constant if WX doesn't cooperate.
IRST isn't enough in its own, long range IR AAM coupled with it can already defeat L.O targets. Inform yourself.

ELP-Fuel economy-battle-space mobility. A legacy like Typhoon attempting to do F-22 like super-cruise runs into fuel economy issues. Typhoon comes in at about 9900 internal -/+. In an attempt to take on F-22 it will risk getting bingo fueled to death when pressing.
As far as we're concerned you're talking about them as if their requierements were the same and again Typhoon is NOT a "legacy".

These 4th gen have been designed so that their Max A2A combat perfs are obtained with no external else than their weapons and 50% internal fuel.

Doctrine of employement is therefore NOT similar to that of F-22.

ELP -Most exercises now with WVR vs. F-22 are done to give the legacy exerciser something to do, as most don't enjoy getting taken out of the game with no usable response, which happens a lot. F-22 may be able to turn and burn to a good degree, but the tactics of using it for the most part don't require this, there is more times than not no reason to go WVR to risk giving the other guy a chance at a shot. There is no reason to fight fair. WVR will be done when it is clear enough there is a shot with the other side not having any advantage and or worn down from having whole parts of the team killed off and being low on fuel.
I'll take RAF Typhoon pliots words against yours any day, they were there and fought it, you weren't and i wonder if you know these aircrafts that well for talking about them the way you do...

ELP -At the end of the day, all the Typhoon is, is a legacy, although with what it is, definitely one of the best legacies. For a legacy it's only real short coming is with two mouths to feed, a small amount of internal fuel. Drop tanks are a help but other legacies can use them too. It's fuel volume is no where near an advanced Flanker.
-Typhoon is an outstanding legacy jet. Lets not make it something it is not.
At the end of the day you still cannot discernate between two generations of aircrafts and have some lack in your informations as well a beliefs based on technico-commercial staments, not operational realites...

[QUOTE ] ELP This is about the most sensible post I have ever seen on the topic of those that think the F-35/Super Hornet combo is good enough. Good post.[/QUOTE]

Based on the same old assumption that everything coming from the USA is superior to others.

Lack of information and researches come to mind when we read your posts about our gear... or yours for that matters.

A

Aussie Digger

IRST isn't enough in its own, long range IR AAM coupled with it can already defeat L.O targets. Inform yourself.
And according to your Flight Global article your IRST system can "detect" at 130k's but ranges at 33k's.

Thank GOODNESS you've got an 80k IR missile... :D

Damn that AMRAAM's rubbish at "50k's" isn't it???

Based on the same old assumption that everything coming from the USA is superior to others.

Lack of information and researches come to mind when we read your posts about our gear... or yours for that matters.
I don't automatically assume "everythings" better from the USA, but if the differences WERE as great as you OR the Russian manufacturers of "threat" systems might state, they WOULD do something about it...

You CANNOT argue against the operational performance of those using "US" systems, especially in air power related matters, and operationally is all that matters, isn't it?

ELP

Yeah well it is funny when some buy into the 4.5 generation marketing hype.

-5th generation includes:

-Sensor fusion
-Stealth ( real design stealth not a few appliances, gold dust a la HAVE GLASS- etc etc like legacies.

The generation thing is way out of hand. Even the Super Slow Hornet :girl is listed as 4.5 generation . One may have good sensors but that just means you have a better chance of watching what kills you.

I hope you aren't going to hang your hat on the very dubious DERA study which if anything is a model that is only as good as what you put into it. Add to that it is funny how it is a very nice marketing hype tool for the very nice Typhoon. ;)

As for your theory on Typhoon and F-22 having scored engagements. That's possible. Typhoons have been in Vegas a long time for all kinds of testing. When there is a Red Flag that has them in there full up, I am sure we will know. Instead of depending on Jon Lake, a very good writer but on the best day is a Typhoon fan boy. His use of unnamed sources aren't especially useful either. Nor are rumors from the BBC and a ground crew guy aren't stop-the-presses stuff either.

I'm not doubting that the Typhoon is dangerous. If Japan can't get the F-22, that is exactly what they need to get to stomp out any intruders with some authority. The topic of Typhoon v F-22 has some minor importance if lets say Saudi Arabia was to go bad years from now. However in this case the rich man's flying club in the RSAF won't stand much of a chance. Expecting that there is any question to the F-22 winning an air battle vs legacy aircraft is unrealistic. The term legacy for any non- 5th gen aircraft is apt. F-22 is keeping some of the same rules of air combat ( see first, shoot first ) and rewriting the book in a fashion where it is it's only peer group. Expecting that the Typhoon has some special ability that will keep it from consistantly losing such an engagement is a reach. Congratulations on finally exceeding the performance of an F-15. The problem is that era for a U.S. first team effort is over.