Does India need a dedicated GPS satellite?

srirangan

Banned Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Cents
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask me, neither the Indian military or the Chinese military require GPS type systems for the next 20 years atleast. All militaries apart from US+ operate near home, in places which can be easily and accurately covered by ground based or air based radars.

The GPS has 24 block 2 satellites completing 2 orbits in one day. So the GPS does indeed have limitations and the only way forward is to integrate land based and air based radars with the GPS to make it truly global.

Still the GPS has been a huge success and credit has to go to US diplomacy which has been ble to secure GPS ground bases all over the world. I don't think European Union or any one else would be able to secure the required number of ground bases to make thier system's equivalent to the GPS.

Imho the Galelio project won't be as effective and far reaching as the GPS and for India and China to invest in this project, a system for which they have no need of, and to get no operational control, is a huge waste of money.

If anyone disagree's then you are wrong. ;)

adsH

Re: DOES INDIA NEED A DEDICATED GPS SATELLITE

Sri Europe only wants coverage of its own teratory not the Global Coverage. they wanted extensive coverage form the US GPS system but the Us was not so accomodateing so then they thought they would have to launch there OWN GPS to gain extensive coverage of the Continental Europe. An you are right other militarys use Other sort of navigational Systems. and they operate close to home so no one needs GPS for while.

srirangan

Banned Member
Sri Europe only wants coverage of its own teratory not the Global Coverage.
Factually wrong. Galelio intends to scan the entire planet. If it wasn't so, then countries such as India, China and Russia wouldn't show any interest in it.

srirangan

Banned Member
http://www.glonass-center.ru/purposes.html

WHAT PURPOSES GLONASS SERVES FOR?

* Air and naval traffic management, safety increasing;
* Geodesy and cartography;
* Ground transport monitoring;
* Time scale synchronisation of the remote from each other objects;
* Ecological monitoring, search and riscue operation organisation.

XEROX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A GPS system consists of a network of Satellites, i think Glosnas has a limited number of sats compared to Gallelio or US GPS which will have 24 or 29 satellites networked with each other

all residing within the Space Segment, it consists of 24 operational satellites in six 12-hour orbits 20,200 km (10,900 ml) above the earth at an inclination angle of 55 degrees. The satellites are spaced in orbit so that at any time a minimum of 4 satellites will be in view to users anywhere in the world. The satellites continuously broadcast a low power, one way position and time signal to users throughout the world. There are currently 29 satellites in orbit, or five spares, which assures the availability of 24 operational satellites.

srirangan

Banned Member
Yes, you are correct. But I already knew all that you said. Thanks anyway, I am sure someone else will benifit from that accurate information. :)

The GPS uses 5 Block-1 sat's and 24 Block-2 sat's. In total 29, orbiting the earth twice a day. Here's a very good source of comparison betw the GPS and Glonass:

http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~geo/gg_comp.html

XEROX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
India, EU in space partnership

Hindustan Times: November 17, 2003

http://www.ibef.org/artdisplay.aspx?cat_id=183&art_id=664

INDIA AND the European Union will lay the foundation of a new strategic partnership with an agreement to join hands for a new global navigation satellite system, Galileo. The partnership will bring India, the EU summit on November 29.

A joint declaration that will chart the future of Indo-EU relations will be the highlight of the summit. Galileo will be the first global positioning service under civilian control, aiming to break the monopoly of the American Global Positioning System.

“We have a convergence of views with India and China and this system will lead to multi-polarism in the world,†remarked a senior European Diplomat.

While India is expected to contribute $350 million, China has already pledged $230 million for the project, expected to cost about $3.2 billion. “We see Galileo as an important ingredient for a multi-polar world,†said a senior official. Although there is a huge cost involved, New Delhi is viewing the larger picture. “We were keen to be on board because global positioning technology can have many advantages for India, especially in transport and disaster management,†said a senior official. Experts say the EU was keen to engage India because of its expertise in space and IT.

Articles about half year old but gives good insight

srirangan

Banned Member
Well, EU wants to end US domination, hence make it multi polar. I doubt they'll succeed.

Edit:
By saying multi-polar world, they're kidding you.. :)

adsH

Re: DOES INDIA NEED A DEDICATED GPS SATELLITE

i think Multi polar is used here to express the Changing winds in the world very very colorful use of words!!, i am still not sure,

srirangan

Banned Member
Dude your english link had nothing regarding a GPS system. Are you aware of the physical complexities and geological demands? For a GPS system, China would need a ground base in third time zone!!

A regional sensing satellite is what China has, many countries including India, Brazil have such a system in place. Regional Positioning -does not equal- Global Positioning

Cheers!