Does India need a dedicated GPS satellite?

adsH

Re: DOES INDIA NEED A DEDICATED GPS SATELLITE

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
Or does it just toggle along with the E.U Galileo Global Satellite system project :alian2
the US couldn't stop the EU Planners but i think the US will not allow INdia to have their own GPS satellite. they would have too much problems with over complicating the structure.

XEROX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
so i guess thats why china and india have signed up for the Galileo project, but then again i though china were going to launch its own GPS satellite

ZhangKe

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
so i guess thats why china and india have signed up for the Galileo project, but then again i though china were going to launch its own GPS satellite
Hehe~~~we already got~~~

Chinese Designation: Beidou, now already launch 8-9?it is named as "Navigation Satellite".

XEROX

so why have you signed up along with india to join the Galileo project

adsH

the US will put a block some where!! GPS is something that the US takes very seriously, their entire Military works on GPS

P.A.F

na i don't think america can stop india from a GPS.

adsH

P.A.F said:
na i don't think america can stop india from a GPS.

just wait and see. teh US only aggreed on Extensive coverage for EEC nation, i doubt they will aloow the rest of the world to have there own GPS network, the US is very sensitive on this topic and any-other Space related topic you can pull up.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
China is in galileo project, don't know about India. Pentagon gave EU very hard time over EU GPS project. I am not sure if EU went ahead with the project or stoped it due to pressure from US DoD.

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Gallileo is going ahead, the US dropped their demand for the ability to jam the signal in war time for the assurance that the European's would do it if asked

srirangan

Banned Member
A lot of mis-information in this thread. Let me clear things out.

(1) India and the US are working together on a navigational and augmentational survellence system, ie. GPS type system called the GAGAN Project. More detailed info at: http://defencetalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19413

This is a civilian system, but just as the Galileo system which claims to be civilian, these do have enormous militaristic value.

(2) India and China are having problems with the Galileo project because the EU wants India and China to be customers, while India has made it clear that if it's gonna invest it'll be having operational rights as an equal partner; China's stand is not clear as yet/

(3) China don't have a GPS system, one satellite doesn't comprise of a GPS system. :roll

The Watcher

srirangan

Banned Member
That's right, China and India are being made customers and not investors. Which is why it's very likely that India is going to pull out.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

AFAIK China won't get any control, they are an investor. A couple of the EU companies were "screwed" on national investments over the last 5 years, so they don't trust China to behave in a nice corporate fashion.

They are also wary of giving China much access into the system in case data is manipulated.

This was some time ago (3 months), so I'm not sure what has evolved since then.

XEROX

does anyone know the total cost of the Galileo Global Satellite system project

adsH

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
i don't see any point in this project waste of our resources as we would have to terminate its Operation when a conflict sparks off. Its more of a extended detail coverage issue more than a political or strategic issue. so even if india becomes a customer, it would mean that if india is at war half way around the world and if the US chose and it went to war then that would mean termination of European system. pointless as i see it. it's main purpose is for Detailed and extensive coverage for commercial use, it may be used by NATO for military purposes,

Soldier

adsH said:
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
i don't see any point in this project waste of our resources as we would have to terminate its Operation when a conflict sparks off. Its more of a extended detail coverage issue more than a political or strategic issue. so even if india becomes a customer, it would mean that if india is at war half way around the world and if the US chose and it went to war then that would mean termination of European system. pointless as i see it. it's main purpose is for Detailed and extensive coverage for commercial use, it may be used by NATO for military purposes,
adSH, what makes you think that US is capable of destroying European system and not vice-versa? If Pentagon was doing all this hue-cry about Galileo project it was only knowing that it had friendly relations with European countries. If it comes to war, there are plenty of nations in the world today who can destroy GPS too, excluding Russians who had and have the capability for decades.

I am not sure about the truth of this report until there is some proper admission by Russian or Indian government, but last I read in the newspaper was, that Indians and Russians were talking about India investing money in space with russian cooperation for Russian equailant to GPS. At one time there were more then 150 satellites of former USSR which were covering each and every yard of earth but now there are only about 30-40 satellites which are functional due to economic crisis in Russia.
Things like Russian and Indian joint cooperation keep coming up, but I somehow am pessimistic when it comes to the truth about these things, unless being confirmed by either country.

adsH

Soldier said:
adsH said:
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
adSH, what makes you think that US is capable of destroying European system and not vice-versa? If Pentagon was doing all this hue-cry about Galileo project it was only knowing that it had friendly relations with European countries. If it comes to war, there are plenty of nations in the world today who can destroy GPS too, excluding Russians who had and have the capability for decades.

I am not sure about the truth of this report until there is some proper admission by Russian or Indian government, but last I read in the newspaper was, that Indians and Russians were talking about India investing money in space with russian cooperation for Russian equailant to GPS. At one time there were more then 150 satellites of former USSR which were covering each and every yard of earth but now there are only about 30-40 satellites which are functional due to economic crisis in Russia.
Things like Russian and Indian joint cooperation keep coming up, but I somehow am pessimistic when it comes to the truth about these things, unless being confirmed by either country.
oh no you misunderstood me ! i am saying when the US goes to war the European would shut down their system, it would cause problems for the US forces so the Europeans i think have agreed on these terms, the European system is for peaceful commercial coverage. apparently the current GPS system does not cover all of europe.

srirangan

Banned Member
Europe shuts down or not will not effect US. But it could effect US's adversary who might be using the Galelio.

Can you give me a link where it says GPS doesnot cover the entire Europe? The balkan war proves that it very well does, I refuse to believe that until you show me a trustworthy link.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
apparently the current GPS system does not cover all of europe.
That doesn't sound right. The US is currently the only nation that has virtually 24/7/365 full space scan coverage of the earth. The last event in Iraq was the first time in history that battlefield weapons were managed and planned from space.

The USAF have more satellites in place than all other nations combined, and they have total coverage due to some weapons systems using GPS as part of their targetting solution.

I think the info got distorted somewhere in translation.