Does anybody know what happened to the Australian Army's 120mm SP mortar project?

Ryan

I don't know of the projects status, but if anybody could enlighten me on if it's has been cancelled or if not,what vehicles are being considered and what timeframe the army is looking at for deliveries.

A

Aussie Digger

A complete review of the Australian Army's direct and indirect fire support requirements is presently being conducted. It is known as Project LAND 5000. The program to acquire any direct fire/indirect fire capability enhancements (besides those already announced) have been canned until this study has reached it's conclusion. The program to acquire an 120mm AMS, was in the short term replaced by the program to acquire a new main battle tank capability (M1A1 AIM standard tanks) for the Army as this was seen as a more pressing requirement. Basically LAND 5000 will decide and (possibly) make announcements on the capabilities required for Army's total fire support requirements and potential suppliers to meet these. The 120mm Mortars project may come back, but I personally doubt it. I think the army will opt for that money to be spent on gaining a greater Artillery capability (ie: SP Guns and possibly MLRS type capability) rather than 120mm Mortars, (particularly as the recently tested (2002) South African 81mm Mortars showed that they possessed almost as much capability (in terms of range and lethality etc, as the planned 120mm Mortars!!!) But time will tell. There is no publicly announced timeframe for LAND 5000 at present, so we'll just have to wait and see. Cheers.

Ryan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you know what weapons are being considered in the project?

A

Aussie Digger

The full range of fire support options, from new short range anti-armour weapons to replace our current M72A6 LAW rockets, a 40mm automatic grenade launcher "type" capability, new artillery (155mm SP guns) a long term replacement for our Carl Gustav Anti-Armour Weapons (probably Javelin) a replacement for our current US made 81mm Mortars (probably South African made 81mm Mortars I mentioned earlier) and several other "unannounced" projects to improve the fire support available to the Australian Army. This may include an 120mm Armoured Mortar System, a MLRS type capability (HIMARS possibly) or some other fire support capability. The project is also studying the command, control, communications and intell systems needed to support these systems and the operational structure of our infantry battalions, armoured and artillery regiments and their requirements for these capabilities. No specific weapons systems have been announced yet other than general types of capabilities that could be required. It's all a bit hush hush at the moment, the project is only in it's early stages and hasn't even reported to Government as yet.