Do you think?

BritishRMC

Do you think that the very strong relationship that stands between Great Britain and America will ever be broken?

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerMc

I do not see our military and defense relationship falling apart in the near future. The British and American's still remember our close relationship in helping one another through out both World Wars, Korea, the Cold War, Gulf War, and Enduring Freedom. The two countries might have politics that strain (which isn't important on this site), but their militaries will still consider each other friends and allies because of the blood they have spilled together on many battlefields.

Dr Phobus

I am british and i live and work in the USA. I hope that nothing really effects the close relationship the UK/USA have. The only real threat i see is in the form of an increasingly powerful/successful EU causing more division between USA and europe between of differeing strategic "paths" then the UK may have to make a decision. Personally, this senario is a very big "IF" The EU will lack effecitness because of its democratic procress with very varying nations involved. however, I want to see NATO hold true, then not one can threaten us. :xmas

ThInK TaNk

i think that UK doesnt need usa`s help any more cuz there is no threat to them from any country the biggest threat to uk and whole europe was Svoiet Union for which they created nato first of all france quit it coz they could defend themselves against Soviet threat bcoz Soviet Union was broken into pieces decade ago there is no need of that alliance any more infact now a days usa needs nato bcoz instead of maintaining peace usa is threatening other nations and is in great need of troops which are supplied from nato!!!!!!!

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
BritishRMC said:
Do you think that the very strong relationship that stands between Great Britain and America will ever be broken?
As long as those two share a common interest, its relationship should be long lasting.

Rich

No! I dont think it will ever be broken. Not in our lifetimes. That isnt to say there wont be differences, but frankly, the only European nation we trust is Britain. There has been a lot of heat over Iraq, much of it by the Liberal mainland press who conveintly forgot mainland Europe simply wanted to get back to business with Saddam. Who owed them a ton of money. And the same crowd conviently forgets how illegal NATOs war in Yugoslavia was.

I see England as taking a moral stand on Iraq, and how funny its going to look 20 years from now when Blair and Bush are called geniuses. The simple fact remains that there isnt a military solution against terrorism, the political roots of it must be changed from within. Certainly there have been problems. But were not talking 50 German submarines in the Atlantic convoy routes, or 300,000 troops trapped on a beach.

The British are extremely popular with the Yank population. Always have been. Myself? England was the best country Ive been to outside my own and Ive always admired them. Tremendous history to the place.

Apologies if Ive strayed from military thought.

Cootamundra

No I don't see it breaking down in the short to medium term, nor do I see issues like the F-35 knowledge transfer issue getting in the way. Actually what I think will happen on that front is that the US Congress will see the light of day. From what I can gather the issue has been a hot topic for some domestic point scoring in the US, but cool heads (as far as the Defence relationship with the UK goes) will see that the Brits get the access they require. Also note, that BAE (UK) has a major part to play in the JSF program.

As to the relationship itself, the British, like the Australians, Kiwis and Canadians have too much shared culture to ever drift to far apart.

Coota

Izzy1

Banned Member
I agree with Coota,

Building on what you say with regards UK/US military ties and the role BAE Systems now plays in the US. Through ownership of United Defense, a UK company effectively produces/maintains a large slice of current US Army ground systems as well as participation in JSF, T-45 Goshawk and the AV-8 Harrier programmes.

With regards the US Army alone, such equipment includes:

- M2/M3 Bradley Family of Vehicles
- M88 tank recovery vehicle and the M88A2 Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility
- Lift and Evacuation System (HERCULES)
- M109 155mm self propelled howitzer, including current M109A6 Paladin
- Amphibious Assault Vehicle
- M9 Armored Combat Earthmover (ACE)
- M113 Family of Vehicles to include armored personnel carriers, medical, command and control, engineering and mortar carrier vehicles.
- M777 155mm Lightweight Towed Howitzer.
- US Army Future Combat System, (Non-Line-of-Sight Cannon and the Armed Robotic Vehicle).

I doubt other non-US defence producers like EADS or Thyssen-Krupp would ever be given such opportunities in the US domestic defense market.