Destroyed Tanks Compilation│Could Tanks Become Obsolete?

Redlands18

Nice Video but a Video showing mainly older Tank models without current Generation Armour being destroyed does not prove whether Tanks are obsolete or not. In 1950 you could put a compilation of photos of destroyed WW2 Tanks and come to the same conclusion. The survivability of modern MBTs has been discussed on DT and the same point keeps getting made, if a current Generation MBT is not survivable then nothing is.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@t68 & @Redlands18

@Alexandrian is able to post videos and photos in here without having to comment on them because there has been a long term precedence for this occurring and the Moderators haven't sanctioned other posters for doing so. I have just had to reverse a red warning I issued to him and apologise when I realised the thread he posted in. Mea culpa.

Last edited by a moderator:

t68

@t68 & @Redlands18

@Alexandrian is able to post videos and photos in here without having to comment on them because there has been a long term precedence for this occurring and the Moderators haven't sanctioned other posters for doing so. I have just had to reverse a red warning I issued to him andapologise when I realised the thread he posted in. Mea culpa.

Yes I agree a comment was not needed, I too just realised which thread he posted in, my apologies also.

I just clicked on the title thread as written and came to the conclusion he was actually asking a question in regards to MBT's

Terran

Are tanks obsolete because they could be destroyed? No.
Many compare Tanks to Battleships of the early 20th century and how they become obsolete. The Truth is that even as the greatest battleships were built they were not obsolete because of the potential of being sunk. They were Obsolete as the capabilities of the Battleship was matched or exceeded by the Aircraft carrier. Or be offloaded on to cheaper Cruiser, destroyer hulls.
For the tank it’s not there. The First tanks destroyed in battle were the first tanks in battle. For much the same reason we see in videos like this.
Armies who deployed tanks without support by air defenses, or Infantry. Who position them in dug in points turning them into fixed fortifications. These nurtured the tanks.
We have known since the First World War that a stuck tank is a useless tank. Stalingrad proved that if the tank is flanked it’s open to destruction. And WW2 proved bombs and rockets can kill them. Even infantry with Molotov cocktails have driven tanks from battle. Yet when properly employed with infantry support, air cover and defense a
Crew willing to use the whole of the tank as a weapon. It’s hard match.
Sure Toyota Land Cruisers have been used as fast attack vehicles offering mobility for fractions of the cost but lack the Fire power and protection.
Drones and loitering munitions can kill tanks but a flying machine can’t take and hold ground.
8x8 and tracked mobile guns might match the fire power but flee on sight of the MBT beast.
There is talk of building UGV with tank guns but isn’t that just another form of tank.

Reactions: t68

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are tanks obsolete because they could be destroyed? No.
Many compare Tanks to Battleships of the early 20th century and how they become obsolete. The Truth is that even as the greatest battleships were built they were not obsolete because of the potential of being sunk. They were Obsolete as the capabilities of the Battleship was matched or exceeded by the Aircraft carrier. Or be offloaded on to cheaper Cruiser, destroyer hulls.
For the tank it’s not there. The First tanks destroyed in battle were the first tanks in battle. For much the same reason we see in videos like this.
Armies who deployed tanks without support by air defenses, or Infantry. Who position them in dug in points turning them into fixed fortifications. These nurtured the tanks.
We have known since the First World War that a stuck tank is a useless tank. Stalingrad proved that if the tank is flanked it’s open to destruction. And WW2 proved bombs and rockets can kill them. Even infantry with Molotov cocktails have driven tanks from battle. Yet when properly employed with infantry support, air cover and defense a
Crew willing to use the whole of the tank as a weapon. It’s hard match.
Sure Toyota Land Cruisers have been used as fast attack vehicles offering mobility for fractions of the cost but lack the Fire power and protection.
Drones and loitering munitions can kill tanks but a flying machine can’t take and hold ground.
8x8 and tracked mobile guns might match the fire power but flee on sight of the MBT beast.
There is talk of building UGV with tank guns but isn’t that just another form of tank.
I think this is spot on. Tanks become obsolete when something else can fill those battlefield roles, or provide those capabilities. Otherwise the investment in protecting tanks will simply increase, because what they can bring to bear is still relevant.