Dead in the Water

mysterious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I made a point earlier that the nuke armed bombers scrambled was something that this documentary talks about for about ten minutes so I put that in my post. Seems like no one has watched this documentary and it is being assumed that I somehow made this all up by myself. Gimme a break! :smokingc:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I actually studied this incident as part of a analysis of the effects and outcomes of the 6 day war.

One of the things that is conveniently omitted and has been clarified in official Russian Govt releases, is that the US and Russia kept in close contact as the war was escalating.

Egypt tried to draw the Russians into the conflict by saying that there was no way that Israel could sortie its aircraft at that rate and therefore the US was repainting USN and USMC aircraft in IAF colours, and launching concurrent strikes.

The Russians were able to categorically state that this was not the case as they were tagging the US 6th Fleet with their intel skimmers and subs.

The notion of the Liberty being attacked was first written by a sailor who was an anti-jewish supremacist - and I am surprised that after all the counter claims and release of records, that some still try to use this as wedge discussion issues.

I do have copies of the Congressional papers, the responses and counterclaims that showed that the documentary was fundamentally flawed in a lot of its assumptions. It's terribly bad journalism that continues to have currency with those of vested interests.

It fails miserably when the US and Russian papers (released in 1989) are read.

Now, unless the Russians are also part of a US-Jewish conspiracy, then the 3rd leg of evidence seems to indicate that the claimed motives and results are dubious. (Lets bear in mind that both the US and the USSR were about 6 minutes away from all out war, and Russia was decidedly anti-israeli from a political influence perspective - so anything that would seal the fate of Israeli participation would have been generously promoted. The younger posters on this forum should also appreciate the fact that the USSR originally attempted to form an alliance with Israel, but decided on issues of encapsdulation that they could manage the Arabs easier as a way of isolating the French, British and to a lesser extent (then) the US. Therefore, anything that would incriminate Israel and contribute to it's demise in region would have been gladly embraced. Zhukov in his memoirs is quite pointed in establishing this.