Croatian Air Force to procure 12 x second hand Rafale fighters

KiwiRob

The Rafale is doing quite well, Greece, Eqypt, Qatar, India, now Croatia and its a front runner for the Finnish Airforce.

Yama

Moving from MiG-21 to Rafale is going to be slightly challenging from upkeep point of view...
As good as this deal is for Croatian Air Force, they will have to increase their maintenance budget rather a lot.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Rafale is doing quite well, Greece, Eqypt, Qatar, India, now Croatia and its a front runner for the Finnish Airforce.
Is it? The French certainly would like to think so and have everyone believe that. The Swedes have offered an enticing deal WRT Gripen E and the Finns will be seriously considering that. Like the Typhoon the Rafale is expensive to acquire and operate, and the Finns don't have an endless money pit like Qatar. TheFinns won't be the push over sale that some think they will be.
I think Qatar is trying to make sure it can't easily be embargoed.
Definitely Swerve. It's one lesson that they won't forget in a long time.

Yama

F-35 is the front runner for Finnish Air Force, but local nerds are pretty high on Rafale and it's generally seen superior to Super Hornet or two other Eurodeltas. Whether this perception has any relation to reality, well...
Rafale might be a front runner for the Swiss, though.

KiwiRob

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
And I believe we can add 36 frames for Indonesia.

they’re having a bit of a spend up, which also includes 6 FREMM from Italy.

Don't think that it has been confirmed by Indonesia yet. Suggest that you read the Indonesian Aero Thread and follow what @Ananda has to say.

Edit: This post and this post by Ananda explain the situation, especially the first one which explains Indonesian government procurement practices.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

With this acquisition, the Croation air force will get the most advanced jetfighter from all former Yugoslav countries. Are the Serbian MiG-29s already upgraded to SMT-level?

Correction: The budget still Euro 1 Bio, silly me on reading to fast.

Asside Greece with combo new and second hand ones and Croatia with second hand (but seems with refurbished contract), perhaps it's also Frenchie effort to keep the production line open. Those second hand Rafale will come from French AF inventory, thus need replacement.
|"He didn't elaborate, but there has for years been talk of Russia supplying Serbia with the S-400 surface-to-air missile system, bringing the sophisticated rockets even closer to bordering NATO-member states."|

I thought Serbia already ordered the Pantsir and chinese FK-3. How serious are these talks about the S-400? Other sources talk about negotiations about the S-300.