Could a laser destroy an anti tank mine?

Bob53

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did some digging and found these articles… seems like a cost effective way to Demine large field.
These articles are old. Surprised there isn’t more work taking place in this space.

FormerDirtDart

Found this eight year old video. which is quite a bit newer than your almost19year old article. Google showed a couple of articles from 2020 about the USAF buying a couple more the these systems.
Looks like this system is targeted for scatterable mine fields

Fredled

The problem with lasers is that you need a huge source of energy. That's why the only functioning laser guns are on boats large enough to provide this source of energy. A truck carrying a large generator won't be able to do that. I doubt that 3kW could be even remotely close enough to blow mines effectively. You would need several truck based generators connected in parallel. This is neither cheap nor practical.
The second thing is that a ground based laser will fire horizontally and won't be able to aim at most of the detected mines. To be effective it should shoot from above. There are air born laser guns but they are still experimental. Planes also have a hard time providing enough energy for such thing. And a large plane (like a modified C130) would be very vulnerable.

Last edited:

Fredled

Thor is an old product, so I'm sure we can get a tad more than just 2kW output in a modern equivalent. Now to figure out how to bring it to the field in a survivable package. That's probably the bottleneck here.
How effective is probably classified. But 2kW is way too low. IMO, you need at least 10kW to have something fast and easy to use.
I imagine an anti-mine laser could be mounted atop of a mast to have a better striking angle.
2kW could succeed in exploding IED's after an exposure of 10 or 20 seconds to the laser beam at a short distance. And even not in every condition (dust, rain, fog, etc).
The lowest power to intercept drones is 10kW. Of course, with drones, the distance is much longer. Other anti drone system are 50 kW. Raytheon develops system up to 500kW.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Problem No 1: You have to find the mines first. The Ukrainians are having some success with heat sensing UAVs.

Bob53

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How effective is probably classified. But 2kW is way too low. IMO, you need at least 10kW to have something fast and easy to use.
I imagine an anti-mine laser could be mounted atop of a mast to have a better striking angle.
2kW could succeed in exploding IED's after an exposure of 10 or 20 seconds to the laser beam at a short distance. And even not in every condition (dust, rain, fog, etc).
The lowest power to intercept drones is 10kW. Of course, with drones, the distance is much longer. Other anti drone system are 50 kW. Raytheon develops system up to 500kW.
One thing with mines is they are not a moving target and as mentioned mines would probably be “ engaged” ( is that the word?) at a shorter range so keeping the laser on target from closer range would seem to be a simpler exercise once the target is located. The mast idea seems to make sense.

seaspear

Lasers may not be the choice of first use
US4273048A - Surface-launched fuel-air explosive minefield clearance round - Google Patents How to blast through Russian minefields

Fredled

@Bob53 Short range in military language is less than one mile. In laser technology it's less than one inch. Even at close range it's already difficult.

@seaspear These anti-mine explosives could be even more effective now with the use of drone. They are developing it in Ukraine. They drop a small grenade on the mine and boom. But it's not very fast when you have to neutralise hundreds of mines ASAP before an assault.