Conflict in Yemen

Man, it is clear that you are advocating the mass murder of millions of innocent people. Please understand why I have little support for your position. The idea that one group should kill everyone else in the entire world that is different to them is not something that I am tempted to agree with

Man, I think you need help, think what u like, but I wont be conversing with you again

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Key Points
The Arab coalition has deployed two Patriot fire units to defend its base in Yemen's Marib province
The deployment corroborates claims that the base was hit by a ballistic missile on 4 September
The Arab coalition fighting to reinstall Yemen's ousted president has deployed Patriot air-defence systems to defend its forward operating base in Marib province, satellite imagery from Airbus Defence and Space has confirmed.

The imagery from 1 October shows two Patriot fire units, each with an AN/MPQ-53/65 radar and just two launchers, at either end of the airstrip at the Safir refinery in Marib. Six AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, two UH-60 Black Hawk utility helicopters, and one CH-47 Chinook heavy lift helicopter can be seen on the airstrip.
Yeah the Saudi coalition has consistently failed to destroy Houthi ballistic missile capability, and have suffered considerably in return. They've managed to intercept some of the missiles fired at them, but I don't think we can even say that they intercepted most. This ability to strike back with missile strikes and cross-border raids, highlights the problems the Saudis face. Of course it doesn't help that Iran appears to be shuttling weapons to the Houthis quietly. If that situation evolves, Iran and Saudi Arabia will be fighting two proxy wars at the same time (Syria and Yemen).

ATA-Türk

Banned Member
Man, it is clear that you are advocating the mass murder of millions of innocent people. Please understand why I have little support for your position. The idea that one group should kill everyone else in the entire world that is different to them is not something that I am tempted to agree with

Man, I think you need help, think what u like, but I wont be conversing with you again
Text deleted.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

Ranger25

Staff member
Text deleted.
-Preceptor

ATA. This is a discussion on tactics, strategy, events, etc. I would appreciate if you stick to the point and spare us the lectures. Add value to the discussion, don't work to derail it. These overtly emotional tirades are less educational about the topic and more about the author

Last edited by a moderator:

Ranger25

Staff member
Unconfirmed report from Iranian FARs news

This seems a bit far fetched and I cannot confirm anywhere else?

At least 66 high-ranking Saudi army officers, including two senior commanders, were killed when the Yemeni missiles hit Khamis Mushait air base in Asir province in retaliation for the kingdom's aggression against their nation.

The Yemeni forces also destroyed 17 F-15 fighter planes and 9 Apache helicopters.

About 300 Saudi officers were also injured in the Yemeni missile attack on Khamis Mushait air base.

On Thursday, Yemen's army fired a Scud missile at Khalid bin Abdulaziz air base in Asir province.

Meanwhile, Israeli media reported that there is information confirms that Israel assisted Saudi Arabia in its war against Yemen.

On Wednesday, Saudi warplanes bombed the Yemeni Province of Ta'iz, leaving at least 4 civilians dead.

The four civilians were killed in the airstrikes that hit an airport in Ta'iz, reports said.

Also on Wednesday, Saudi air raids hit the Yemeni Province of Sa'ada, killing at least a civilian and injuring several others.

A civilian was killed and three women were injured in Saudi airstrikes on Sa'ada, sources said.

Two houses were reportedly destroyed in the airstrikes on the province.

Meanwhile, Saudi artillery and missile attacks hit various regions in the same province.

Farsnews

crest

The Sudanese Army is arriving in Yemen. You know you're desperate when you need the Sudanese Army to help. :D But on a serious note, the Saudis are desperate to crush the Houthis.

СуданÑкие войÑка прибывают в Йемен - Юрий ЛÑмин

i wonder what it costs to hire 10k troops, tho even if they win (and most likely will) this is looking like something that will be a festering wound for quite some time

with the u.s saudi oil war i wonder how resupply for saudi forces is going to play out.
driving fracking down and not lossing market share is a core saudi policy right now

i know this is not a strictly military observation but i dont doubt its something the house of saud must be worried about

Ranger25

Staff member
i wonder what it costs to hire 10k troops, tho even if they win (and most likely will) this is looking like something that will be a festering wound for quite some time

with the u.s saudi oil war i wonder how resupply for saudi forces is going to play out.
driving fracking down and not lossing market share is a core saudi policy right now

i know this is not a strictly military observation but i dont doubt its something the house of saud must be worried about
Not sure what your intent was with the "us Saudi oil war"?

Intent is to discuss the growth of US production via Oil Shale?

IMO that hasn't challenged the political or military relationship between the two nations but yes it has driven down the price per barrel.

I don't see that as any hindrance to Saudi logistics, the hinderance will be in their internal logistical capacity and depth of supplies especially in spare parts/PGMs/PAC 3s etc.

crest

Not sure what your intent was with the "us Saudi oil war"?

Intent is to discuss the growth of US production via Oil Shale?

IMO that hasn't challenged the political or military relationship between the two nations but yes it has driven down the price per barrel.

I don't see that as any hindrance to Saudi logistics, the hinderance will be in their internal logistical capacity and depth of supplies especially in spare parts/PGMs/PAC 3s etc.

yes i am speaking in regards to the u.s fracking vs saudi desire to not lose market share. The u.s is already discussing a arms embargo ) i doubt it will pass of course)

perhaps using the term "oil war" is a bit much. tho not lossing market share is a core issue for the saudies and they have publicly allocated 100s of billions to it so far.

energy independence as also a important u.s issue.

my question is would the u.s use arms shipments as leverage on the oil issue and if they did would the saudies accept that.

i do like this fourm and have read on it for years. Im out of my depth discussing most technical areas. but this is a aspect of the war that hasnt be raised yet

not one i expect to be either but the saudi collation is taking larger then expected material losses.

GermanHerman

The numerical and technological advantages will not be enough to dominate a conflict when there is a lack of motivation and proper leadership.

There are enough examples of well trained and equipped Armys that were defeated because of bad leadership, in addition to that the Saudis are an intervening outside force that is fighting an enemy on its home turf.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
What good is said technical advantage in the face of widespread incompetence? I mean, the Saudi advance into Yemen seems to be stalled, and they're desperate enough to need help from Qatar and Sudan.
That's kind of apples and oranges though, when was the last time Saudi Arabia fought a land conflict on a scale like this? It's not unreasonable for a technical force with a lack of experience to have issues against a force like in Yemen which is equipped with semi-modern equipment and at least some combat experience running over the current government.

Whereas in the air they have total superemacy, there is no contest and there never was. They can strike with impunity and as have the capability to root out those missiles and destroy them thanks to the equipment they use. You're right, it is incompetence, it's just the sheer magnitude of it in the face of what kit they have I find unbelievable.

Ranger25

Staff member
That's kind of apples and oranges though, when was the last time Saudi Arabia fought a land conflict on a scale like this? It's not unreasonable for a technical force with a lack of experience to have issues against a force like in Yemen which is equipped with semi-modern equipment and at least some combat experience running over the current government.

Whereas in the air they have total superemacy, there is no contest and there never was. They can strike with impunity and as have the capability to root out those missiles and destroy them thanks to the equipment they use. You're right, it is incompetence, it's just the sheer magnitude of it in the face of what kit they have I find unbelievable.
And who's to say some of Soliemani's Quds aren't there advising and likely fighting with the Houthis. There are numerous accounts the CGC is facing experienced Guds and Houzballa fighters as well as battle tested Houthis

Estimates put the number of both Iranian and Iraqi Shi’ite forces helping the Houthis in Yemen at around 5,000 people. The number of Lebanese Hezbollah members in Yemen is not known.

On Sunday, Quds Force Deputy Commander, Brig. Gen. Esmail Ghani was quoted as confirming the fact that the IRGC is training Yemenis.

“Each one who is with us comes under the banner of the Islamic Republic and this is our strength,” Ghani said, according to Iran’s Mashregh News, an outlet run by the IRGC. “The defenders of Yemen have been trained under the banner of the Islamic Republic and the enemies cannot deal with Yemeni fighters.”

It was the first official reference to Iran’s training of the Houthis in Yemen.

According to several officials, the ultimate goal of the Iranians in Yemen is to control the Red Sea chokepoint of the Bab-el-Mandeb.

“The Iranians’ ultimate target is the strait [Bab-el-Mandeb] and the House of Saud is the other target,” one official said.

The Bab-el-Mandeb is a strategic chokepoint that could be used by Iran to block oil shipments and U.S. warship movements from the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf. Iran already can threaten the region’s other strategic chokepoint, the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf.

Control over the Bab-el-Mandeb would give Tehran additional regional power to control oil and other passage to and from the region.

Houthi military plans and operation are “completely under the supervision and control of the Quds Force,” Gobadi added.

IRGC Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the Quds Force commander, directs several special committees to back the Houthis, according to Gobadi. Some 50 tons of Iranian weapons and other aid was sent from Mehrabad airport in Tehran to Sanaa last march March in four shipments, Gobadi said, noting the shipments were disguised as humanitarian aid from the Iranian Red Crescent.

So my take is the obvious here, the GCC is not getting dismantled simply by the Houthis but the IRCG and experienced Houzballa fighters

U.S. Intelligence: Iran Sending More Fighters to Yemen

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Houthis are poorly armed, and simply better trained and motivated then the Saudis. They have relatively little modern equipment, certainly far too little to explain the heavy damage the Saudis have taken on the ground. The fault lies entirely with Saudi use of armor without proper infantry support. There is footage of light armor being used as light tanks, with no infantry around at all, and consequently getting destroyed.

Let's not forget that the Saudis have been actively targeting civilians in this conflict, specifically food and water production and distribution facilities. Part of the issue may be the mentality of those behind this invasion.

Ranger25

Staff member
Interesting Op Ed from Fox

The world is used to the Middle East being a source of instability and turmoil. However, the current developments are exceptional, even for the Middle East and most likely will have significant regional and global security ramifications. The developing events will add new volatility to the global oil price.

Currently two real wars are being waged in the Middle East: Above and around Syria, combat planes of both the world’s superpowers—U.S. and Russia-- together with those of two regional powers that possess formidable air forces-- Turkey and Israel--are flying close to each other with very limited coordination between them.

Similarly, ground- to-air missiles in the hands of terrorist groups and multiple forces raise the likelihood of mishaps. A Russian fighter plane or missile hitting an American plane or Turkish pilots striking an Israeli plane?

An exceptional moment: The Middle East's two current wars | Fox News

Toblerone

Banned Member
Hmmm, makes me wonder, how many wars have started due to some trigger-happy soldier or an accidental attack, when there was NO real intention for full escalation by the parties involved?

I would wager not many. On the contrary, I think mishaps like these can be swept under the rug or just pit behind due to mutual understanding.

Examples off the top of my head:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007

Or this greek helicopter shootdown:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imia/Kardak

7 months later a turkish f-16 gets shot down:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_2000#Greece

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Al Jazeera are reporting, as breaking news, that Saudi airstrikes have hit a Yemini hospital in the city of Saada. The hospital is being run by the charity, Doctors Without Borders. The charity claims that the strikes were deliberate because the Saudis were provided with the exact coordinates of the hospital by the charity two weeks ago.