Comparing anti-missile systems in the world

metro

Will it be able to beat the Israeli's arrow?:confused:
Question about the Aarow2:
If it proves to not work as well as expected, "in a real life situation," can it be used as an offensive weapon?

[BTW, I'm not looking for an answer like, "it wouldn't matter, it would be too late"];)

Ares

of course there is always the possibility that is a SAM system doesn't work it can be turned into an offensive weapon. Ex Iraqi SA-2 Guidelines converted to Al Samoud Short Range Ballistic Missiles.

In my opinion the S-400 Samoderzhetsa system is a more capable system than the Arrow theater missile defence because of its higher probability of kill , its ability to kill in outer space or in other atmospheric layers and because it is a more mobile system.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
In my opinion the S-400 Samoderzhetsa system is a more capable system than the Arrow theater missile defence because of its higher probability of kill , its ability to kill in outer space or in other atmospheric layers and because it is a more mobile system.
S-400 is endoatmospheric only and doesn't use a kinetic kill vehicle - uses a directional explosive charge.

Is not more mobile than PAC-3, MEADS or THAAD.

Ares

Rosbronexport and other Russian officials claim the S-400 using the new TEL chassis is more mobile than any other theater missile defense system in the world. I dont know you're thoughts or opinion on this but I have to believe them.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Rosbronexport and other Russian officials claim the S-400 using the new TEL chassis is more mobile than any other theater missile defense system in the world. I dont know you're thoughts or opinion on this but I have to believe them.
Ah, if it is the vehicle itself then they are probably right. I was thinking of the entire systems mobility.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
When you refer to the entire systems mobility what exactly do u mean ?
Several things, of which some also impact survivability. Cross country/road mobility; how long it takes from arrival at desired point to the system is operational; how long to take it down again; comms, cable/radiolinks; max distances betwen individual units in the battery.

Basically, how long to establish the entire C4ISR/BMC3I setup plus ready missiles.

How long it takes for the TEL to erect the launcher (NPI) is one parameter.

Last edited:

Chrom

Several things, of which some also impact survivability. Cross country/road mobility; how long it takes from arrival at desired point to the system is operational; how long to take it down again; comms, cable/radiolinks; max distances betwen individual units in the battery.

Basically, how long to establish the entire C4ISR/BMC3I setup plus ready missiles.

How long it takes for the TEL to erect the launcher (NPI) is one parameter.
5 min for all that. All C4 setup is done instanly, all vehicles can be connected both by radio channel and cabel. Missiles are already loaded. In fact, if S-300PMU2/S-400 dont errect survivalnce radar it can fire almost instantly after stop.
Cross country capabilities for all soviet/russia vehicles are traditionally better than western counterparts.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
5 min for all that. All C4 setup is done instanly, all vehicles can be connected both by radio channel and cabel. Missiles are already loaded. In fact, if S-300PMU2/S-400 dont errect survivalnce radar it can fire almost instantly after stop.
I'd think the Western counterparts are the same or close in those in those aspects.

Cross country capabilities for all soviet/russia vehicles are traditionally better than western counterparts.
I'd agree to that.

Viktor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will it be able to beat the Israeli's arrow?
Israel Arrow system is at best in S-300V calss... Russia sold USA tehnology transfer to finance Antey-2500 development in 90ies...

f-22fan12

If you ask me, the Arrow 2 is the top BMD system in the world. (or at least very near the top) Hasn't it had the most intercepts? It is very hard to accurately determine the number of intercepts due to the lack of true information. No army accurately reports the kill/miss rate of the BMD exercises/combat.

BTW, besides the Patriot, Arrow 2, and S-300/S-400 series, what are other anti-missile systems in service today?

Last edited:

eaf-f16

Even though there is some very important information being said on here this thread is starting to look like Platform A vs. Platform B thread (Arrow 2 vs. S-300V). I not saying it should be closed just "sanitized" .

Mods???

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Even though there is some very important information being said on here this thread is starting to look like Platform A vs. Platform B thread (Arrow 2 vs. S-300V). I not saying it should be closed just "sanitized" .

Mods???
Though it is a "A vs B" thread, the contributors have been constructive and kept emotions out of the discussion. It shows little signs of going bad so far, so it is allowed at discretion.

The use of "sanitised" elsewhere, refers to the purging of potential flame bait.

/GD

eaf-f16

Though it is a "A vs B" thread, the contributors have been constructive and kept emotions out of the discussion. It shows little signs of going bad so far, so it is allowed at discretion.

The use of "sanitised" elsewhere, refers to the purging of potential flame bait.

/GD
I see:D .

Viktor

It seems that Russia is designing S-400M (system based on mutch improved Antey-2500 or S-300VM) after merger of Almaz-Antej concern.

Besides 40N6 missile from S-400 system is impresive. It has a range of 400km.
The guidance used is active radar homing. The steering element is INS + ARH + IIR.
Its maximum velocity is 4000m/s almost double the velocity with the missiles like 48N6E2 that were there in the earlier S-300 system.
Operating altitude is up to 185 kms (shocked). Not sure whether to believe this. At least that’s what the German defense threat information group says.
Some forums and other links say altitudes of 50-60 kms have been tested.

Another interesting thing is that 9M96 series of missile besides greatly reducing and thus being able to more of them fit in TEL incorporates hit-to-kill tehnology.

MOSCOW. April 6 (Interfax-AVN) - The Fakel Design Bureau has developed a new missile, capable of engaging any attack means, which will take the Russian air defense system to a qualitatively new level, Fakel Designer General Vladimir Svetlov said.

"Several of our missiles, being tested, will considerably boost combat capabilities of famous Russian air defense missile systems. The design bureau has also developed a missile for the new air defense missile system. We believe that it will become the leader among air defense missiles. Its capabilities and even designation are classified. I believe that the missile will remain the leader for decades to come. The missile will be capable of killing any attack means," Svetlov said in an interview with the Nedelya supplement to the Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper.

Commenting on the question whether the new missile would be able to intercept the U.S. X-51 new-generation hypersonic missile, Svetlov said: "Personally, I doubt if the U.S. will be able to deliver on the characteristics specified. But even if it is, and if the X-51 is developed, the new Russian missile will have no problem in intercepting it."

According to him, at the moment there are no aircraft, capable of evading Russian missiles, in the world.

Commenting on some specifications of the new missile, designated 9M96, Svetlov said that it had a weight of only 340 kg. The missile is based on cutting-edge technologies, employed by both the European and the U.S. air defense missile manufacturers. Among other things, the missile boasts a gas-dynamic guidance at the final stage of its flight. "As a result, the missile features a precise guidance right until a direct hit on the target. With this end in view, we fitted the missile with an engine, enabling it to carry out non-standard maneuvers. The design bureau holds the patent for the missile, which boasts a great many other unique capabilities," Svetlov said.

He noted that the Fakel Design Bureau manufactured products, designed to defend Russia rather than attack anybody. "Those are pure defensive weapons," Svetlov stressed.

f-22fan12

What is the % of chance that the S-400 will sucessfully intercept an incoming ICBM? Does it have a better chance of an intercept than the Patriot PACIII or Arrow 2?

Viktor

What is the % of chance that the S-400 will sucessfully intercept an incoming ICBM? Does it have a better chance of an intercept than the Patriot PACIII or Arrow 2?
None of this systems have ability to intercept ICBM.

Most capable of them is S-400 with 40N6 missile and is capable of intercepting balistic missile with the range up to 3500km.

Secont to it comes Antey-2500 or S-300VM whitch is capable of intercepting balistic missiles with the range up to 2500km as its name says.

Then comes S-300PMU1/2 S-300V , Arrow-2 and Patriot PAC-2/3 witch are more or less in line and have ability to shoot down only tactical balistic missiles with up to 1500km range.

f-22fan12

None of this systems have ability to intercept ICBM.

Most capable of them is S-400 with 40N6 missile and is capable of intercepting balistic missile with the range up to 3500km.

Secont to it comes Antey-2500 or S-300VM whitch is capable of intercepting balistic missiles with the range up to 2500km as its name says.

Then comes S-300PMU1/2 S-300V , Arrow-2 and Patriot PAC-2/3 witch are more or less in line and have ability to shoot down only tactical balistic missiles with up to 1500km range.
Thanks for the info. :)

If they can't intercept ICBMs can they interecpt MRBMs?
I wouldn't agree that the Arrow 2 and Patriot missiles are in last place. I would put them in second place. The S-400 doesn't have any sucessful tests, does it? The Arrow 2 does.

What makes you so confident to think that the S-400 is that capable?

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Operating altitude is up to 185 kms (shocked). Not sure whether to believe this. At least that’s what the German defense threat information group says.
Some forums and other links say altitudes of 50-60 kms have been tested.
I would be interested in an excerpt of this (the 185km intercept altitude). It is quite possible that precision is lost in translation; post #46 of this thread is an example of that.

Last edited: