Civil war in Sudan

Sandhi Yudha

After fights started between the Armed Forces of Sudan and the Rapid Support Forces paramilitairy group, a Saudian airliner was hit by gunfire. We can also see here two airliners on the ground on fire.

And here we can see that also elsewhere in Sudan it is a complete mess.

Capt. Ironpants

Ref the 3 dead UN, it is unknown at this time who they were, but death threats against SRSG Volker Perthes were issued recently. I knew when this started that UN would be targeted. See:

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
It pains me that I have to wish for a swift & decisive victory by the Sudanese army, but the RSF is such a loathsome bunch (the former Janjaweed), that the thought of it winning is ghastly.

Omo23

After fights started between the Armed Forces of Sudan and the Rapid Support Forces paramilitairy group, a Saudian airliner was hit by gunfire. We can also see here two airliners on the ground on fire.

And here we can see that also elsewhere in Sudan it is a complete mess.
This is bad..EU did a big mistake funding the RSF (Janjaweed) riff raffs...

Sandhi Yudha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In this news article they are telling that the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) are supported by some rich Persian Gulf states like Saudi-Arabia and UAE, because these countries use RSF-units in their own wars in Jemen and Libië. Russia seems also to have a good relationship with RSF, while Egypt has a good connection with the official Sudanese government.
NOS doesn't tell anything about EU-countries, but NOS is far from objective, and we can see in Libië that several EU-countries have chosen their own side.

Sandhi Yudha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The situation is becoming worse in Sudan, with the war spreading to other parts of the country, like Darfur.

|"Volgens de Verenigde Naties hebben 25 miljoen mensen, meer dan de helft van de Sudanese bevolking, humanitaire hulp en bescherming nodig. Om aan deze behoeften te kunnen voldoen, is de VN op zoek naar ongeveer 2,6 miljard dollar."|

So because the RSF/Janjawid and Sudan Armed Forces having a devastating war, the people of Sudan need humanitarian assistance and protection, which will cost billions and have to be paid by other countries.

Capt. Ironpants

The situation is becoming worse in Sudan, with the war spreading to other parts of the country, like Darfur.

|"Volgens de Verenigde Naties hebben 25 miljoen mensen, meer dan de helft van de Sudanese bevolking, humanitaire hulp en bescherming nodig. Om aan deze behoeften te kunnen voldoen, is de VN op zoek naar ongeveer 2,6 miljard dollar."|

So because the RSF/Janjawid and Sudan Armed Forces having a devastating war, the people of Sudan need humanitarian assistance and protection, which will cost billions and have to be paid by other countries.
I very much appreciate that this is a military forum, not a humanitarian one, but anyone who has ever been near a military conflict knows that the military and humanitarian situations can and do affect one another (for example, we tend to forget that the unrest in Syria at the very, very beginning was because of rising global grain prices coupled with implementation of IMF prescriptions for agricultural reforms in that country -- negative humanitarian impacts resulting from military conflicts are well known and need no examples). I have been following the situation in Sudan for over a quarter of a century now, and it seems to me we have a "both and" situation there, as in there is considerable synergy between military conflict and the humanitarian situation.

Anyway, I am scheduled to attend this event and will report back here if there is any interest:

I hope this link is okay, considering it is purely academic and the speaker is a Tufts expert on Sudan. If not, my apologies to our wonderful mods and understand if you want to zap my post.

@Capt. Ironpants This post is fine. It covers one side of war that we sometimes forget.

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator: