Civil Maritime News & Discussion

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Don't have any English stories yet, but an Argentine submarine (ARA San Juan) went missing for a few hours. She apparently had some kind of electrical fault that caused her to loose power and go SUBMISS. All hands are apparently safe, and she's being towed back to port.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Don't have any English stories yet, but an Argentine submarine (ARA San Juan) went missing for a few hours. She apparently had some kind of electrical fault that caused her to loose power and go SUBMISS. All hands are apparently safe, and she's being towed back to port.
Have seen a twitter post from Navy Recognition stating the Arg Gov has denied it has been found and the search continues

Argentina loses contact with one of its submarines | Jane's 360

Argentine Navy loses contact with submarine ARA San Juan carrying 44 people - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Argentine navy says it's lost contact with submarine - CNN

Cheers

FormerDirtDart

Would have posted this in the RAN tread, but... You know
Current issue of Defense Technology Review is pushing the Stern Landing Vessel hard, again.

upload_2019-10-4_6-46-28.png

First, in a USMC-centric article: US Marines include stern landing vessels in capability outlook
The article also mentions the more LCM sized CNIM LCX stern lander

The other article, a serious hard sell targeting the RAN: Large Landing Craft vs Single Pacific Support Ship
Makes the case for a small 6 boat SLV class to replace the retired Balikpapans. And, the possibility building extras to be dispersed to other Pacific Island nations in the same manner as the Guardian-class patrol boats

Stampede

Would have posted this in the RAN tread, but... You know
Current issue of Defense Technology Review is pushing the Stern Landing Vessel hard, again.

View attachment 46755

First, in a USMC-centric article: US Marines include stern landing vessels in capability outlook
The article also mentions the more LCM sized CNIM LCX stern lander

The other article, a serious hard sell targeting the RAN: Large Landing Craft vs Single Pacific Support Ship
Makes the case for a small 6 boat SLV class to replace the retired Balikpapans. And, the possibility building extras to be dispersed to other Pacific Island nations in the same manner as the Guardian-class patrol boats
The Stern landing Vessel is a fascinating concept.
Appears to tick many boxes.compared to other older landing craft designs, re the trade off in speed,load capacity and sea keeping ability.
Can see many applications for many countries in both the civil and military sectors.
Would like to know more about the propulsion system.............A bit of a mystery.

Regards S

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Stern landing Vessel is a fascinating concept.
Appears to tick many boxes.compared to other older landing craft designs, re the trade off in speed,load capacity and sea keeping ability.
Can see many applications for many countries in both the civil and military sectors.
Would like to know more about the propulsion system.............A bit of a mystery.

Regards S
Look up the Queensland outfit that uses them.

Millennium7

Hi all.
I prepared a video about the Hypersonic arms race and I thought it could be interesting here rather than in the usual aeronautics forum. I hope I am not out of place here.
Thank you very much.

Mod edit: Following discussion among members of the Mod team, the Ban has been made Permanent as a result of the poster continuing to post embedded links to drive traffic to a specific YouTube channel, after having been advised not to do so by the Mod team.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This link mentions Bill Gate’s investment into Nuclear batteries for cargo ships (actually MSRs). This would be an effective solution for meeting the significant GHC emissions promised by the industry for 2050. I guess one concern is having nuclear material on board thousands of commercial vessels that won’t have ideal security in place unless significant new protocols are developed and enforced.

JohnJT

I notice Unseenlabs are launching another two satellites from NZ this month. Their product (uncooperative maritime vessel tracking) seems like it would be a very attractive service for many governments around the world. In particular countries like Australia and New Zealand with large maritime areas of interest might find such a service a valuable addition to their existing surveillance systems.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am now curious about the speed of these. I wonder if speed is part of the design to help avoid capture.
Curious design, 3 x 75 hp 2 strokes. That is a lot of two stroke they carry on board.

I notice the LCS in the back ground.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Sandhi Yudha

Austral is selling its stake in its Chinese shipbuilding joint venture with Aulong Shipbuilding
It appears that the decision was made after they received a batch of substandard Chinese aluminium plate for use in the current Cape class project.
The action would seem to suit the current discontent re CCP involvement in shared business ventures.

Austal to sell interest in Chinese shipbuilding joint venture - Australian Defence Magazine
....has licensed a number of its proven, commercial aluminium vessel designs for marketing throughout mainland China ...
Actually a very smart move of the chinese to deliver that bad quality aluminium plates, because they now already have all the blueprints of Austal proven designs.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Commercial vessels are greening with dual fuel and even all NG. Now SK is proposing molten salt reactor nuclear powered container ships. Off hand I’d say there would be significant crewing costs (from a technological and security POV). Can’t really see green solutions for commercial shipping other than nuclear or sail. Hydrogen may be another option if blue hydrogen can be produced by renewables or nuclear.