Chinese Military Hardware

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Re: LD2000

That's the chinese Type 730 CIWS, normally mounted aboard ships such as recent PLAN destroyers Type 052B and 052C. There exist landbased (prototypes?) versions on 6x6 truck and on 8x8 truck.

As for a relation to the Dutch Goalkeeper CIWS, there is speculation but no evidence that the Type 730 is derived from Goaldkeeper. More likely, it was inspired by Goalkeeper but there has yet to emerge information validating the claim that there actually IS a real and direct relation to Goalkeeper. Just because it looks similar or has a similar concept doesn't mean China has or had access to technologies involved in Goalkeeper.

Goalkeeper employs the 6 barrel GAU 18 gatling gun. The gun mount is US designed and built. The Dutch developed the integrated sensor package and firecontrol softwere for it that has become known as Goalkeeper. The french also developed 2 CIWS on the basis of this gun and gun mount (SATAN and SAMOS), both with radars mounted away from the gun mount.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

tatra said:
As for a relation to the Dutch Goalkeeper CIWS, there is speculation but no evidence that the Type 730 is derived from Goaldkeeper. More likely, it was inspired by Goalkeeper but there has yet to emerge information validating the claim that there actually IS a real and direct relation to Goalkeeper. Just because it looks similar or has a similar concept doesn't mean China has or had access to technologies involved in Goalkeeper.
Granted, but as the saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's usually a small amount of fire."

I've seen chinese wiring harnesses in fire control systems that only use "US Milspec" style designated connectors. You can't buy these "open source" or "off the shelf", they're not COTS but MOTS. To buy them means you need to be a lefit user and have an end user certificate recognised by the State Dept. The mere presence means that they were manufactured outside of an authorised entity. After all it would be cheaper to make COTS solutions than these anyway.

Call me cynical, but on things like harnesses it's easier to see when technology has been knocked off. ;)

tatra

Verified Defense Pro

Nothing is impossible. Still, please do make a distinction between the gun and/or gun mount - which are US products, and were also made available to the French - and the Dutch-developed fire control system for it (incl. radars, computers and software).

What makes Goalkeeper Goalkeeper is not necessarily the gun and gun-mount. The French Samos and Satan use the very same gun and mount as employed in Goalkeeper, for example. Yet we don't call these French systems Goalkeeper copies. So, just because it looks like Goalkeeper doesn't mean it functions like Goalkeeper.

Clearly, the gun and gun mount are much more easily copied than the fire control system. But is it an established fact that the gatling used in Type 730 is identical to GAU 18 and that the ammo characteristics are the same? Not to my knowledge. Further, there are obvious differences between the gun mounts of Type 730 and Goalkeeper. But even if the guns, ammo and gunmounts were the same, that just proves the gun and gun mount were copied and says nothing about the fire control system.

While Goalkeeper has both search and tracking radar integrated onto the mount and seperate IR scanner away from the mount, Type 730 has only tracking radar and EO sensor on the mount and separate tracking radar away from the mount. I suspect these difference reflect other, non-visible differences in fire control.

Let's assume for a moment that Type 730 is a Goalkeeper clone. Then the chinese must have had an opportunity to study Goalkeeper in detail in order to come up with their clone. Calling Type 730 a Goalkeeper copy therefor requires that an answer be provided to the question of were and when the chinese had the opportunity to take a close look at Goalkeeper. So far, I've not seen a satisfactory answer to that question.

adsH

this Variant doesn't seem to include TVC, any reasonn why the latest Variant doesn't have it. but the Dorsal spine appears of a good design i guess they wouldn'i have Drag problems that the F-16 Block 10-15 users have had. this is potentially an older pic.

doggychow14

Re: J-10 B -- Two seat version of the J-10

the TVC isn't ready yet. It is still in testing. I'm guessing it will appear in the later series of production.

Number1azn365

Various Chinese Photographs (SOFs, Armed Police)

Some Pictures Of SOF and Armed Police in Iraq (not sure if they are special forces or private security)

Iraq

armage

About the 5th pic whats that guy doing?
Who is that person the PAP or SOF's is protecting?
Looks to me those guys are ready to kick some :cop :cop :cop .

Number1azn365

The guy in the 5th picture has a butcher's knife to his neck and the other guys are pushing him down on it. Something you wouldn't try at home. Im not sure who they are protecting. Diplomat maybe?

adsH

yeah most likely a diplomat embassy representative, I guess In Iraq people need there own protection

ZhangKe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Type62A Light Tank

upgrade Type62 light tank, have a new 105mm cannon and new jointing turret. This new turret also use on Type63A amphibious tanks .:pope

Last edited:

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Re: Type62A Light Tank

Based on the looks, it's bascially a Type-63A Amphibious tank turret fitted into the old Type-62 hull.

The Type-62's hull is extremely vunlerable to anti-tank fire due to the thin armour. It suffered massive loss in the Vietnam border conflict. I'm not certain whether PLA has replaced the engine in the hull or not. If not, then the engine is a 430hp 12150 L3 liquid-cooled engine giving the tank the maximum road speed of about 60km per hour.

From the photo, it seems that the newly upgraded tank uses the same 105mm rifle gun as Type-53A. The gun is claimed to be capable of penetrated 560mm at the distance of 2km. Also the turret can be easily fitted with ERA or composite add-on armour.

This is one bizzare upgrade. Using the turret of a new amphibious tank and fitting it to a hull that has been proven to be a failure in past conflicts? I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or not.

Last edited:

ZhangKe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Type62A Light Tank

The Type 62 is mainly equipped by the light armour troops deployed in southern China and the Marine Corps for reconnaissance, fire support, and combat with enemy's light armoured vehicles. The tank was widely used by the Vietnam Army in the 1960s/70s Vietnam War, and later by the PLA in the 1979 China-Vietnam border conflict.

The Type 62 suffered severe loss during the border conflict with Vietnam in 1979. Combat experience showed that the thin armour of the Type 62 (turret front 200 mm, hull 15~100 mm) is highly vulnerable when facing enemy anti-tank fire power -- even a 40 mm RPG can penetrate the the armour and seriously damage the tank.

The Type 62A differs from its predecessor by the addition of a new turret with a reduced-velocity 105 mm gun and redesigned hull. The 105 mm rifled gun was derived from the gun on the Type 88 MBT, with special designs to reduce the recoil and overall weight.The new gun could fire both conventional AP/HE rounds and laser-guided anti-tank missiles, giving the tank the punch to take out most light tanks in the world, and making a serious challenge to the modern main battle tanks (MBTs).

The development of weapons like the Type 62A reflects the trends of the PLA moving towards a smaller but more capable military force that can fight "a regional war under high-tech conditions".

The Type 62A's main armament includes a 105 mm rifled gun, which can fire armour piercing fin stabilised discarding sabot (APFSDS), high explosive (HE), and high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) ammunitions, as well as laser guided anti-tank missiles. The test showed that when firing APFSDS, the gun could penetrate 560 mm steel armour at a distance of 2,000 m.

Secondary weapons include a coaxial 7.62 mm machine gun and a 12.7 mm air-defence machine gun.

The Type 62A also features a new computerised light spot fire control system with roof-mounted stabilised sights fitted with day/thermal channels and a laser rangefinder.