Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimasta

Oddly two Japanese airliners have just agreed to fly into the airspace mentioned, which tends to suggest they are at least willing to test the access for the Japanese government.
Yes. The airline carriers from Japan have said they will not recognize the ADIZ. Qantas and Singapore airlines have said they will though. None of China 'a neighbors are recognizing the zone, I think the Chinese may have underestimated the reaction.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. The airline carriers from Japan have said they will not recognize the ADIZ. Qantas and Singapore airlines have said they will though. None of China 'a neighbors are recognizing the zone, I think the Chinese may have underestimated the reaction.
Honestly their willingness to risk their passengers lives is troubling, to put it mildly. I certainly wouldn't want to be on those planes.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Honestly their willingness to risk their passengers lives is troubling, to put it mildly. I certainly wouldn't want to be on those planes.
If the chinese think that they can treat this like KAL 007 then they're up for a shock

STURM

Prior to declaring its ADZ the Chinese political leadership would have thought long and hard about the likely ramifications and how various countries would react. For me at least, the big question is how the Chinese will react if - I should probably say 'when' and not 'if' - countries continue to ignore the ADZ.

Lets just hope that this issue will not be the start of something un-pleasant breaking out.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNo2AndOVQ"]US defies China's air defence zone - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSOP7XapS9A"]China 'air defence zone' sparks fresh row with Japan - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXImp3nWuBA"]Concerns about China's new air defence zone - YouTube[/nomedia]

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/27/world/asia/china-japan-us-tensions/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

tonyget

Even though China(and Russia) does not recognize Japan's ADIZ, Chinese commercial airline still notice japanese authority when pass through the zone, that's because they place safety above politics, Japan seems doing the exact opposite

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Even though China(and Russia) does not recognize Japan's ADIZ, Chinese commercial airline still notice japanese authority when pass through the zone, that's because they place safety above politics, Japan seems doing the exact opposite
Have you bothered to read the prev link?

This has got zero to do with safety issues

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well done, you've managed to oversimplify everything just enough that it fits your particular brand of rhetoric, pre-determined since before the discussion even started. You must be so proud.

colay

No doubt part of the motivation for,declaring the ADIZ was to stir up patriotic fervor with the folks back home. The recent incursion by the B-52s has stirred up a hornet's nest though and the stage seems set for more loss of face as multiple government seem determined to ignore China's demands. Has China painted itself into a corner, risking further humiliation or raise the ante and pursue aggressive "defensive" measures?

China says it monitored defiant B-52 flights | Military Times | militarytimes.com

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently the Chinese have moved fighters closer to the affected areas so one assumes they'll do some intercepts at some point. I assume they'll attempt to enforce it by challenging aircraft and requiring them to identify themselves and state their destination, which is the logical outcome of matters to date.

2007yellow430

Just saw in the news that China scrambled fighters for the zone while Japanese planes were present, including an F15. They didn't do anything this time. The article indicated that they wouldn't do anything to US planes, but implied they would with the Japanese planes. It was on Yahoo's site today.

Art

colay

Apparently the Chinese have moved fighters closer to the affected areas so one assumes they'll do some intercepts at some point. I assume they'll attempt to enforce it by challenging aircraft and requiring them to identify themselves and state their destination, which is the logical outcome of matters to date.
That's fine. Let the Chinese initiate the contact and receive a response which is what one would expect is the norm in such a scenario.
But no doubt Beijing can spin it as a "victory" to placate the home crowd.

The U.S., Japan and South Korea Flout China’s Air Defense Zone. What’s a Superpower To Do? | TIME.com

The Byzantine

Could someone tell me if S Korea and Taiwan recognise and respect Japan's ADIZ?
There is no overlap between the Korean and Japanese ADIZ. Since I can't add links or images yet here is the URL of a map:

img.over-blog-kiwi.com/0/54/74/56/201311/ob_c256d6_zida-de-la-coree-kadiz-en-vert-adiz-de-la-chine-e.jpg

There was a kerfuffle over a (comparatively very small change in) the Taiwan-Japan ADIZ border in 2010, but as far as I know nothing much has resulted from that and both sides have respected each other since.

BlueRose

Just saw in the news that China scrambled fighters for the zone while Japanese planes were present, including an F15. They didn't do anything this time. The article indicated that they wouldn't do anything to US planes, but implied they would with the Japanese planes. It was on Yahoo's site today.

Art
Just saw that bit of news as well. Though, for now they're just shadowing. Seems they will keep poking and prodding. I find this to be a trend that could go wrong very fast. They may try to radar lock some planes next, if they will get that bold.

cdxbow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Things do seem to be warming up a bit. The Chinese now admit it is aimed at Japan and it's the first of many ADIZ. Perhaps the best explanation is this one about 'lawfare'. Add to the fact the new boss of the PRC wants to make his mark and what better way than to tease the Japanese.

Eeshaan

Im digging up a nuke shelter in my basement and got some HAZMAT suits ready. So should be all set for the upcoming confrontation.

OK seriously, check this picture out :

You have got to be kidding me. Look how close the Chinese Air Defense network boundary is to Taiwan. And it overlaps Japan's Air Defense bundary !?

The Chinese are in for a very rude awakening if they think they can get away with this kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.