Can singapore hold its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snayke

And probably many other reasons too like being a close friendly nation, etc. Too many reasons to intervene rather than not.

Ding

nah, Malaysia wont attack Singapore. If your talking about strategics... what does Malaysia gain by attacking Singapore?. There's been friction with Singapore, but hell, all country will have frictions with their neighbours. But it wont be big enough to go to war. If ever Singapore gets attacked by 'someone' you can be sure there'll be Malaysians joining the fight since the loss of Singapore would mean our southern flank will be unprotected.

oh and there's the FPDA.....

Paxter

long live usa said:
isreal did/does not need American help you say?:rotfl they need American aircraft and equipment read up on the facts man:lol3
I said invincible troops.... read the paragraph... americans and there quick draw read it prop dont find 1 line in a 3000 page book and call it a wmd :p ... read the line prop please

singapore has mainly american gear that everyone knows.I ment they dont need ur help in the form of men power.

Big-E

Banned Member
Paxter said:
.I ment they dont need ur help in the form of men power.
Apparently the government of Singapore and a majority of their citizens don't agree with you.

Snayke

The 400,000 soldiers that was mentioned, are they on active duty? Because for a population of 4 million, that is quite a lot. Australia has a population of 20 million or so and our armed forces personnel total at around 50-60 thousand people.

davidcandy

Singapore and Malaysia have a history of trouble. Malaysia expelled Singapore from Malaysia (unusual a state not fighting tooth and nail to hold terrority).

The Five powers defence agreement was aimed at Indonesia as Indonesia (and the phillipines) claimed parts of islands that joined Malaysia. These political conflicts are in the past.

Malaysia and Singapore share an IADS, but an Australian has to command it.

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
long live usa said:
with a total strength of 418,000 troops that are well trained i think they could easily survive an intial attack, but do to its size im not sure about a pro longed conflict(we'll say there being atacked by indonesia or china higly unlikely i know) i dont think they could strike back offensively in any big way so the main point of the thread is how long do you think singapore could hold out without any assistance?

I think I can decisively answer the original question with a brief summary of my own and a link that is somewhat dated but still relevant.

The Sings are indeed able to defend against or deter any regional threat that would be likely to challenge them. They follow a very careful strategy of procuring and integrating cutting edge technologies and tactics that would be likely to inflict grevious harm on their most likely potential enemies. For greater threats the Sings have created a web of alliances with great powers and the only superpower that limit their vulnerability to being cut off from any one benefactor and provide a deterent to more powerful opponents. If the original question is more broad and includes the United States as a potential foe then that is about the only level force they are not prepared to deal with. But a Sing vs USA conflict is not at all likely even if we discuss it hypothetically.

http://jciss.llnl.gov/IT_RMA/Huxley_Final.pdf

I think this should pretty much answer the original question.

long live usa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Paxter said:
I said invincible troops.... read the paragraph... americans and there quick draw read it prop dont find 1 line in a 3000 page book and call it a wmd :p ... read the line prop please

singapore has mainly american gear that everyone knows.I ment they dont need ur help in the form of men power.
yes thats right they are invincible:D but i already knew that,and i know they have the man power i was referring to naval/air assets

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Singapore threat

in my mind the only future potential threat to Singapore would be China, i mean unless the Gov went rougue and started supporting terrorism acquiring WMDs, but the likelihood of that happening in Singapore is just about zero, the Singapore Force is a well trained bunch of professionals, this includes years of training with the NZDF, ADF MDF, and UK forces, they ahve frequent training exercises in Aus and NZ, (the ones I know of) the 5 power ties are seriously deep, the ANZACS had a Singaporean Artillery Regiment with them way back in WW1, the Kiwis had Battalion in Singapore for ages if I remember rightly, not only do I think they are good to go but there Allies are ready and waiting, as a City state they will I think suffer for a couple of weeks to supply is reestablished

contedicavour

threats to singapore

The only real threats Singapore could face is terrorist attacks attempting to sabotage its harbor facilities or mining the waterways in the proximity of the harbor.
Given the size of Singapore's maritime forces versus the size of the country, control should be tight enough, hopefully

cheers

aaaditya

since we all are discussing about singapore ,iam sure this will interest you guys,seems singapore is trying to acquire millitary facilities in india,they have already been offered the kalaikunda air force base to eploy their air force assets,now they are interested in deolalai and babina ,they want to station their troops here on a long term basis(under a rotational policy of 3 months).

here check out this link:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=6103

NEW DELHI, MAY 9: Departing from its policy of allowing only joint exercises, India is preparing to open its terrain to Singapore by allowing it to station and train its army here.

In return, not only does it get Singapore’s help to upgrade its defence training facilities but also takes the relationship with this key ASEAN member and economic powerhouse to a new, strategic level.
After conducting two joint exercises with the Indian Army here, Singapore has requested New Delhi to allow its armed forces to shift personnel and equipment for two training stints of three months each on a long-term basis.
Other than overcoming the limitations of land and airspace in Singapore, the spacious and rough Indian terrain will allow the island-nation to train Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) in unfamiliar and challenging environment, says its request.
In exchange for use of the facilities at Deolali and Babina during February-April and October-December, Singapore is willing to reimburse the costs as well as fund their upgradation. The request has found favour with the Defence Ministry and will be soon put up before the Cabinet Committee on Security for permission under a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), said ministry sources.

by the way guys does any no how many air force bases ,singapore has? also what is the strength of the singapore army and the air force?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
by the way guys does any no how many air force bases ,singapore has? also what is the strength of the singapore army and the air force?
Singapore has air-basing and training facilities in Australia - literally 8 times the size of Singapore itself

They also have basing rights in the US and in France. IIRC a squadron of F-16's is based in the US.

Schumacher

Anyone has any idea how RSN's new frigates will compare with all the next gen warships being built around the world ?

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_005937.php

From DefenceTalk.com

Naval Forces
Royal Singapore Navy (RSN) Launches its Final Frigate
By Singapore Ministry of Defence

URL of this article: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/printer/printer_5937.php
Wed, 10 May 2006, 00:47

The Republic of Singapore Navy's (RSN) sixth frigate, RSS Supreme was launched on 9 May 2006 by Dr Ivy Ng, wife of Minister for Manpower and Second Minister for Defence, Dr Ng Eng Hen, at the Singapore Technologies Marine shipyard. Dr Ng officiated at the launching ceremony.

The launch of RSS Supreme marks another significant milestone for the frigate programme. It is the final frigate to be built locally. In the next phase of construction, RSS Supreme will undergo harbour and sea trials.

The RSN's stealth frigates are equipped with advanced sensor and weapon systems, and have enhanced anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare capabilities. A key enabler to the third generation (3G) RSN, the frigate will enable the RSN to undertake a wide spectrum of missions and carry out its missions of defending Singapore and its vital Sea Lines of Communications (SLOCs) more. The sensor and weapon systems will undergo shore-based integration testing and modifications during the construction phase of the stealth frigates. This enables a significant reduction in the overall duration and cost of constructing the frigates.

Factsheet - Republic of Singapore Navy's Frigate Program

Introduction

In March 2000, MINDEF signed a contract with Direction des Constructions Navales (DCN) of France for the construction of six frigates for the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN). DCN is a reputable shipyard that designed and built the French Navy's low signature La Fayette-class frigates. Under the technology transfer arrangement, DCN will design and build the first ship while the remaining five will be built locally by Singapore Technologies Marine. The six new frigates will replace the RSN's Missile Gunboats, which have been in service for more than 25 years.

Ship's Capabilities

The new frigates are highly capable warships designed to be stealthy and are equipped with advanced combat systems. They also have greater endurance and are able to stay at sea for longer periods of time. Each frigate is designed to carry a Sikorsky S-70B Naval Helicopter capable of complementing the ship in Anti-surface and Anti-submarine warfare. By leveraging on a high level of automation and enhanced work processes, each frigate will only require a crew of 71.

The frigates will be equipped with state-of-the-art combat capabilities allowing them to perform a wide spectrum of missions and to deal with various threats in all dimensions of naval warfare - surface, air and underwater. These systems include the Thales Herakles Multi-function Radar (MFR), the MBDA Aster SAM System, the EDO Active Low Frequency Towed Sonar (ALOFTS) system, the Eurotorp A244S torpedo and the Boeing Harpoon missile system. Command and control of the various sensor and weapon systems onboard each frigate is achieved via an indigenously developed Combat Management System (CMS).

Programme Status

The frigate programme is progressing smoothly. All six frigates are in various stages of construction today. Five of the six frigates had already been launched till date and they are undergoing various stages of their construction. The lead ship of the Formidable-class stealth frigates arrived in Singapore on 8 Jul 2005 from France. RSS Formidable is currently undergoing Combat Systems checkout, integration and testing. She is expected to be fully operational in 2007.

In parallel to the construction activities, the combat system integration effort has also gradually intensified over the course of this year. The Shore Based Integration Centre (SBIC) has been set up in Changi Naval Base to allow the combat system suppliers, using the actual equipment and software, to test and demonstrate that they could exchange messages correctly over the local area network, similar to the one onboard the ship. The laboratory environment of the SBIC would allow the integration team to run all the necessary sequence of tests in order to do trouble shooting and rectification before testing onboard the ship. Through the use of simulators, the systems are put through the various operational scenarios for extensive testing. This shore-based integration testing approach has reduced overall integration duration, speeding up the delivery of the frigate by almost a year.

The frigate programme represents the continuous effort of the RSN to improve its capabilities in order to complement and enhance the operational effectiveness of the SAF.

Back to: Home | Forums | Gallery | Guestbook | Contact us

© Singapore Ministry of Defence

Paxter

aaaditya said:
yeah look at this http://www.scramble.nl/sg.htm now u really think they need out side help? they surround any one attacking them opening fronts on the enemy rears

their airforce is in the states, france, brunei, indonesia, and if india then yeah that makes what 5 nations as home bases.

Singapore is well armed, and ready to fight if it comes to that.

Paxter

oh and about why malaysia kick singapore out of the federation was because of politics, to sum it up quickly- Malaysia is a malay dominated nation and if singapore were to stay that would have made the chinese the dominent race thus ends controlling both commerce(which they do) and politics (which they dont).To have both was a big no no in the 1960s because of 2 reasons

1. since the dominent race was the malays they would have felt 2nd class citizens in their own country
2. it was the communist insurgency then...

We had race riots between the malays and the chinese then.

In a way it was a good call and the outcome turned out ok for both sides.

i know this is a defence forum so we end this here ok? :D just wanted to clear that bit for you guys.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Paxter said:
their airforce is in the states, france, brunei, indonesia, and if india then yeah that makes what 5 nations as home bases.
ummm, refer to my prev post.

they also have their largest military facility and training area based in queensland, australia. they also have a permanent jet fighter trg squadron based in western australia. so two discrete squadrons are based in australia.

that makes 6 countries for platform dispersal.

and to qualify my prev, they are granted access into the SWBTA training area which is approx 30 times the size of Singapore itself.

Last edited:

Snayke

I don't think any nations in the area can risk attacking Singapore. For one, it is the market for oil in the region. All or a lot of oil is sold in Singapore to other nations as it's rather convenient. Attacking Singapore would be attacking a large number of nations' oil supply, harming their own national interests. Anyone attacking Singapore in the region would be basically cutting off their own supply of oil and risking tense or even aggressive relations with other nations in the area.

And could anyone tell me the size of Singapore's army and their air force assets? I'd really like to know. :p

Rich

robsta83 said:
in my mind the only future potential threat to Singapore would be China, i mean unless the Gov went rougue and started supporting terrorism acquiring WMDs, but the likelihood of that happening in Singapore is just about zero, the Singapore Force is a well trained bunch of professionals, this includes years of training with the NZDF, ADF MDF, and UK forces, they ahve frequent training exercises in Aus and NZ, (the ones I know of) the 5 power ties are seriously deep, the ANZACS had a Singaporean Artillery Regiment with them way back in WW1, the Kiwis had Battalion in Singapore for ages if I remember rightly, not only do I think they are good to go but there Allies are ready and waiting, as a City state they will I think suffer for a couple of weeks to supply is reestablished
Singapore has to be at least 1,000 air miles from the closest Chinese air base, "probably on Hainan", and probably closer to 1,200miles. Thats a stretch for what they have available, I assume only their SU-30s can reach them. They have some medium bombers but are pretty anemic on that score. Either way, once they got there they would have to fly against Yank F-16s,"is it Malaysia or Singapore with F-18s"? They'd probably have enough of a problem against the F-5s that have always been a good, if undersung, performer for our friends in the region. Ten years from now Singapore will have F-35s and the door will close even more.

So Chinas airstrike capability would be limited. So whats next? I cant see an amphib op to take Singapore when they cant even mount a capable one to take Taiwan. There's no overland route available. So a naval blockade??? Thats bad water for a navy thats trying to master blue water, especially since China has no carrier force and would have limited land based coverage. Singapore's new frigates have been mentioned. They would be a big problem for the Chinese, for their noisy subs as well, "I'm assuming these frigates have an air ASW component"? I know Singapore has SSKs but I cant remember what kind. Im also assuming they have a maritime strike component. Any Chinese flotilla would end up facing a fusillade of harpoon missiles.

But the worst news for the Chinese, and even if we didn't get actively involved, Singapore would be wired into the Yank and Aussie Intelligence network. The Chinese wouldn't be able to take a crap without us telling their enemy what they are doing and where they are at.

If there is one useful fact of this exercise its probably the fact that while they have made great progress the Chinese still have serious deficiencies in the projection of power. They don't even have regional hegemony yet. The waters in the S/E Asian sphere are still an American lake and will be for the foreseeable future. If China becomes a regional bully then this USN will also get stronger because it will drive nations like Singapore into a closer alliance with America and her allies.

If they are smart they will take the long view and defer any military moves in the region until they can win and benefit. Even with Taiwan, I think to attack them in the near future would be a disaster for the Chinese.

Snayke

It would be much wiser for China instead to get closer to Singapore and other nations militarily, politically, culturally, whatever. And again, it would be a disaster oil supply wise, as that's where they get their oil from. Singapore basically has no threats unless all allies refused to help and a coalition of nations invaded Singapore.

---ADD
"Today, a career military force of 20,000 is supplemented by 55,000 men on active National Service. Another 225,000 reservists who have completed active National Service and are placed on a 10 years stand-by period."

Whoever said 400,000 soldiers in their army was way off. :p Their air force fighter assets are nearly as big as Australia's. That says a lot for such a smaller nation in size and population.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.