BVR capability

Oqaab

F-7s doesnt have BVR capability but If U are talking about PAF's F-7s then PAF may upgrade its F-7 and make them carry Chinese SD-10 missiles.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
The PAF F-7 PGs carry the Grifo-7 radar which has a BVR range and can be used as a BVR platform. Which missiles are used however, remains a mystery. However I am ignorant about the Chinese F-7s.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
F-7s carrying BVR missiles? Doesnt BVR capability need a really large radar? i doubt wether tht wud fit in a Mig-21. Rmmbr tht it was the lack of room 4 upgrades in the mig-21 tht was 1 of its failures.

umair

Peace Enforcer
corsair7772 said:
F-7s carrying BVR missiles? Doesnt BVR capability need a really large radar? i doubt wether tht wud fit in a Mig-21. Rmmbr tht it was the lack of room 4 upgrades in the mig-21 tht was 1 of its failures.
Not really,as far as I know the detection range depends on the power of the antenna array used by the radar.
Gary anything to add or subtract?

Londo Molari

The F-7s that Pakistan has have radars with enough range to use a BVR missile (like 50km). But Pakistan has no BVR missiles.

Once the JF-17 is armed with the SD-10, they will probably arm the F-7 with the SD-10 too.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
umair said:
corsair7772 said:
Not really,as far as I know the detection range depends on the power of the antenna array used by the radar.
Gary anything to add or subtract?
Thats true to some extent, its also depends whether a "hand off" is also capable of occurring with another asset in the comms mix. I guess the confusion lies with the status of the H4 and whether is can be handed off to another aircraft (if its a long ranging unit)

eg, if Pakistan gets AWAC's or other MMA/ASW platforms would they be able to comms "slingshot" the missile?

umair

Peace Enforcer
But Pakistan has no BVR missiles.
Oh! and what about the R.530s bought for the Mirage III Es in 1978?
Plus the officially not acknowledged but still present AIM-7Ms

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
AIM-7Ms? i read abt tht. they were fitted on the F-16s rite? 2bad they dont show them arnd so much. :?

Londo Molari

I dont know where you get your info! Pak recently tested its missile which is based on South african Darter!
I meant no air to air BVR missiles, and that is also what the original post implied.

We don't have Super 530 D and we don't have AIM-7 Sparrow. Its only rumours started by people.

The Watcher

Pakistan conducts second test firing of H-4 missile

ROBERT HEWSON Editor, Jane's Air-Launched Weapons
London

Pakistan is believed to have successfully completed a second test firing of its clandestine H-4 missile system, according to December regional media reports.

Reports of a first test emerged in April 2003, stating that the missile was fired from a Mirage III fighter aircraft and successfully destroyed a target drone.

In the April reports, the H-4 was described as an active-radar air-to-air missile (AAM) and most observers saw it as no coincidence that reports of Pakistan's programme emerged immediately following the first test of India's Astra AAM.

The latest reports describe the H-4 as an air-to-surface weapon and refer to two variants, H-4 and H-2, with a stand-off range of 120km and 60km respectively.

While it is not possible to confirm all details of the H-4 programme, Pakistan is long thought to have fielded a standoff precision-guided weapon system akin to the Raptor series of powered glide bombs developed in South Africa. Sources in Pakistan also suggest a South African connection to other Pakistan Air Force weapon programmes.
The Raptor family was developed by Denel (Kentron) under the codenames H-1, H-2 and H-3 from the late 1970s onwards. It is known that Denel has undertaken integration studies for the Raptor with the F-16 and Mirage aircraft. Pakistan's F-16s have a primary air defence tasking, while its upgraded Mirage IIIs are allocated a precision-guided munition delivery role.

Pakistan Air Force Chief of Staff ACM Kaleem Saadat said in October 2003 that a beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) capability was a near-term priority for the air force (JDW 8 October 2003). He said discussions were under way with China for the development of the SD-10 BVRAAM.

:roll

Londo Molari

Janes is stupid.

They got their info from the same news that I read along with many other members here.

It clearly called the H-2/H-4 a BOMB, and not an air-to-air missile

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but did India just upgraded it's MIG-21 bis into bison, and if i'm not mistaken, i saw R-77 Adder hanging under the pilon, isn't?

umair

Peace Enforcer
True Awang!
Londo just tell me why would a serving Grp Captian(one of my PAF uncle's friends)) tell lies/rumors about us having Aim-7Ms.Oh and it's the R.530 not Super R.530D.
The ROSEI AND II Mirages can carry both the Super R.530 and the MICA if we choose to buy them.
The T-Darter is known as the V-4 in PAF non-menclature.The H-2 and H-4 are the Kentron MUPSOW and RAPTOR whose production rights have been acquired by Pakistan

A

Aussie Digger

AS far as I've been able to tell, Pakistan operates 4 air to air missile types. The AIM -9 P2, the AIM -9L, the Matra R 530/550 and the PL -5. According to the Chief of the Pakistan Air Force in media reports, Pakistan has trialled various beyond visual range missiles including the T-Darter from South Africa and the Mistral Magic from France and is hoping to develop the SD-10 with China, as recently as October 2003, but reading between the lines, has yet to acquire any such system. In addition the only pictures of Pakistan F-16's I've been able to find show the jets carrying AIM -9's. The COAF also explained how the Pakistan Air Force trains at great length to negate India's advantage in the BVR category and has developed tactics to negate this advantage as much as possible. Pakistan also plans to acquire an AWACS capability "when the time is right" to help even up the disparity between the air forces. I guess oif Pakistan DOES possess the AIM -7, they acquired these missiles rather surreptitously (ie: from a "dodgy" source) and don't want to reveal the fact that they have them...

Londo Molari

Awang se said:
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but did India just upgraded it's MIG-21 bis into bison, and if i'm not mistaken, i saw R-77 Adder hanging under the pilon, isn't?
Yeah but India has not purchased a LOT of R-77s yet... even their Mig-29s still carry R-27s...

So even though the Mig-21s have the capability, the ones in active service are not currenty armed with any a2a BVR missiles.

Londo just tell me why would a serving Grp Captian(one of my PAF uncle's friends)) tell lies/rumors about us having Aim-7Ms.Oh and it's the R.530 not Super R.530D.
Well thats different... I don't know your uncle and I don't know if you are telling the truth... but there is no proof that we have the AIM-7 or the Super 530 D.... so until I see it in the news, or read it from a respectible source, or see a picture of a PAF aircraft with these missiles, you can't expect me to believe it.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Well thats different... I don't know your uncle and I don't know if you are telling the truth... but there is no proof that we have the AIM-7 or the Super 530 D.... so until I see it in the news, or read it from a respectible source, or see a picture of a PAF aircraft with these missiles, you can't expect me to believe it.[/quote]

Londo, ur being a bit harsh here 2 the other guy. There may not be Aim-7Ms in pakistan but the daily news isnt exaclty the best place to get information from. U shud stick 2 Janes which is still No.1 or u cud try Aviation week n all those other mags if u like.