British Army Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukrob

i looked and did not see a Thread for the british army so i have made one so we can talk about anything in the british army like the current Equipment and current Operations and future Operations

Last edited by a moderator:

V4.SKUNK

Hmm, well the Warrior IFV has had an armour upgrade, so has Challenger2. IED protection was one of the main armour improvements.
Also Challenger2 has got a turret mounted remote machine gun.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hmm, well the Warrior IFV has had an armour upgrade, so has Challenger2. IED protection was one of the main armour improvements.
Also Challenger2 has got a turret mounted remote machine gun.
They went with the 12.7 RWS??, how long has this system been actually fielded now or is it still being tested.

buglerbilly

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
They went with the 12.7 RWS??, how long has this system been actually fielded now or is it still being tested.
It's completed testing so should be progressively coming into service soon (IF they don't cut the funding that is!)

It's not only a 12.7mm RWS but more likely to be a 7.62mm GPMG RWS. There are images of both available, see here...........

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chll2il8.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chll3hi8.jpg

Three images of the Challenger II with RWS from Jim Warford at Tanknet via Mark Miles at T5C..........

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2638/challenger2upgradedec20iw3.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6868/challenger2upgradedec20dj3.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9656/challenger2upgradedec20eh7.jpg

Regards,

BUG

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's completed testing so should be progressively coming into service soon (IF they don't cut the funding that is!)

It's not only a 12.7mm RWS but more likely to be a 7.62mm GPMG RWS. There are images of both available, see here...........

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chll2il8.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chll3hi8.jpg

Three images of the Challenger II with RWS from Jim Warford at Tanknet via Mark Miles at T5C..........

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2638/challenger2upgradedec20iw3.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6868/challenger2upgradedec20dj3.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9656/challenger2upgradedec20eh7.jpg

Regards,

BUG
Many thanks Bug for the information, love what they did for the front hull armor also.

buglerbilly

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Many thanks Bug for the information, love what they did for the front hull armor also.
Yup BUT the IIR and/or LLTV sight in the centre between the two headlights seems to block the Drivers vision somewhat.........still, all round this really is a BEAST! ;)

riksavage

Banned Member
Interesting comment from a recent British Gen in Janes.

We're using a term 'transforming in contact' at the moment," Gen Mayall explained. "We set, as the strategic intent, current and future operational success and of course we're transforming just by the nature of the operations we're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Already we're transforming our tactics, our techniques; we're transforming our thinking about future equipment. Regarding FRES, we would have been looking at a vehicle nearer 20 tonnes five years ago; we're probably looking at a vehicle nearer 30 tonnes now.

With the extreme pressure on the UK defence budget I would like to see FRES delayed further in favour of the following priorities:

- Upgrading Warrior AFV - New stabalised 40mm turret, Bowman, WRAP2 armour, engine upgrades and aircon.

- More Bulldog upgrades of the venerable 432's

- More MARP purchases - both long and short wheelbase Mastiffs and Ridgebacks

- Challenger MBT Upgrade - Remote weapon station, increased hard-armour and electronic armour packages

- More Vikings - mortar carriers, ambulances, APC's etc.

With current operational focus in Iraq and Afghanistan I see the need for tracked not wheeled vehicles as a priority.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hmmm, I thing I just answer Eckherls question from another thread here. Fits better. :)
I remember having seen a RWS on a Challi 2 roughly some 3 years ago in the Bergen training area (Germany). I expect the Challi was from the Army of the Rhine out of Fallingbostel.
Maybe this was just a test model and they used the live fire ranges there?

V4.SKUNK

Hmmm, I thing I just answer Eckherls question from another thread here. Fits better. :)
I remember having seen a RWS on a Challi 2 roughly some 3 years ago in the Bergen training area (Germany). I expect the Challi was from the Army of the Rhine out of Fallingbostel.
Maybe this was just a test model and they used the live fire ranges there?
Hmm it's possible it has been tested years ago.
I know that the new pictures of the Challenger are from December 07 at Bovington, and damn them pictures get about the internet fast.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yup BUT the IIR and/or LLTV sight in the centre between the two headlights seems to block the Drivers vision somewhat.........still, all round this really is a BEAST! ;)
Any firm news yet on where they stand with a maingun upgrade to smooth bore.

Navor86

Interesting comment from a recent British Gen in Janes.

We're using a term 'transforming in contact' at the moment," Gen Mayall explained. "We set, as the strategic intent, current and future operational success and of course we're transforming just by the nature of the operations we're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Already we're transforming our tactics, our techniques; we're transforming our thinking about future equipment. Regarding FRES, we would have been looking at a vehicle nearer 20 tonnes five years ago; we're probably looking at a vehicle nearer 30 tonnes now.

With the extreme pressure on the UK defence budget I would like to see FRES delayed further in favour of the following priorities:

- Upgrading Warrior AFV - New stabalised 40mm turret, Bowman, WRAP2 armour, engine upgrades and aircon.

- More Bulldog upgrades of the venerable 432's

- More MARP purchases - both long and short wheelbase Mastiffs and Ridgebacks

- Challenger MBT Upgrade - Remote weapon station, increased hard-armour and electronic armour packages

- More Vikings - mortar carriers, ambulances, APC's etc.

With current operational focus in Iraq and Afghanistan I see the need for tracked not wheeled vehicles as a priority.
And around 5 Sqn Worth of either Merlin or NH90 to replace Puma for RAF and Seaking for Royal Marines with one Sqn going sole to Special Forces.

V4.SKUNK

Any firm news yet on where they stand with a maingun upgrade to smooth bore.
The L55 is still being tested, i can't say for sure though when we'll be getting it. I know a lot of people are against it due to Charm3 being a good sabot and the ability to fire HESH shells which gives L30 a longer range than a L55 for instance.
Taking a guess i say C2 will be upgraded to L55 this year.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But Charm 3 APFSDS has less penetration capability than a DM53/63 fired out of a L/55 as stated by the British MoD.

I agree that HESH is indeed a fine round but not because of longer range but due to better HE effect.
Nevertheless there are several HEs for 120mm smoothbores available be it cheap and simple Swedish ones, Israeli ones or programmable DM22 HEs from Germany.
One can also get access to US made MPATs or canister rounds if one needs more flexibility.

In the end a 120mm smoothbore offers a much bigger assortment of rounds from a lot of possible suppliers and there is a much bigger export market if the Brits decide to enter the 120mm ammo market.

V4.SKUNK

What you say is true, but a Charm3 fired from L30 is nearly on par with L44.
Smoothbore have a very good range of ammo available and in development.
The thing i'm most interested in is how the L55 will work with C2's new reflex system.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am even more interested in how they are going to store the one piece rounds.

What other problems could occur with the integration of the L/55?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The L55 is still being tested, i can't say for sure though when we'll be getting it. I know a lot of people are against it due to Charm3 being a good sabot and the ability to fire HESH shells which gives L30 a longer range than a L55 for instance.
Taking a guess i say C2 will be upgraded to L55 this year.
But you are doing away with the L27A1, what is the debate amongst the L27A1 fans, DU versus Non DU. You tried it in Tungsten form L28 and recieved lack luster performance.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What you say is true, but a Charm3 fired from L30 is nearly on par with L44.
Smoothbore have a very good range of ammo available and in development.
The thing i'm most interested in is how the L55 will work with C2's new reflex system.
What type of ammunition fired thru a L44 would make a L27A1 on par fired thru a L30A1. Can you elaborate a little more on this please.

riksavage

Banned Member
Moving away from Tank fire-power:

An article posted on the MOD web-site about the recent consolidation of Para 'look at life' opportunities quoted one of the recruitment officers making the following statement:

"In their pursuit for the right men to join their ranks The Parachute Regiment recruits from all around the world, with many Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and South Africans serving today."

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...e/ColchesterToBecomeCentreForWouldbeparas.htm

The UK military has a strong tradition of recruiting from the Commonwealth (particularly Fiji), however as other militaries struggle to attract suitable recruits (Australia, Canada) I'm surprised this is still allowed. South Africa for one has introduced a Mercenary law preventing passport-holders serving in conflict zones outside the SDF, aimed at PMC's and foreign militaries.

Alternatively maybe the UK should also look to Europe to recruit English speakers. Poland in particular has very strong historical connections due to the number of Poles who served during WWII and wnet on to marry local girls.

buglerbilly

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Moving away from Tank fire-power:

An article posted on the MOD web-site about the recent consolidation of Para 'look at life' opportunities quoted one of the recruitment officers making the following statement:

"In their pursuit for the right men to join their ranks The Parachute Regiment recruits from all around the world, with many Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and South Africans serving today."

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...e/ColchesterToBecomeCentreForWouldbeparas.htm

The UK military has a strong tradition of recruiting from the Commonwealth (particularly Fiji), however as other militaries struggle to attract suitable recruits (Australia, Canada) I'm surprised this is still allowed. South Africa for one has introduced a Mercenary law preventing passport-holders serving in conflict zones outside the SDF, aimed at PMC's and foreign militaries.

Alternatively maybe the UK should also look to Europe to recruit English speakers. Poland in particular has very strong historical connections due to the number of Poles who served during WWII and wnet on to marry local girls.
IF someone is a Dual Passport holder as a lot of ANZACS and Canadians are, then there would hardly be anything to stop someone joining the British Army.

There are traditional. Commonwealth countries that have always been welcome to join, Nepal with the Ghurkas are the most obvious but Fiji in particular has a very strong tradition of doing the same.

Someone tell me different BUT I didn't think the new SA law affected Dual Passport holders where they are joining a National army as opposed to a Private Contractor.

Izzy1

Banned Member
IF someone is a Dual Passport holder as a lot of ANZACS and Canadians are, then there would hardly be anything to stop someone joining the British Army.

There are traditional. Commonwealth countries that have always been welcome to join, Nepal with the Ghurkas are the most obvious but Fiji in particular has a very strong tradition of doing the same.

Someone tell me different BUT I didn't think the new SA law affected Dual Passport holders where they are joining a National army as opposed to a Private Contractor.
bugler's spot on, this is true. If memory also serves, Republic of Irerland nationals can immediatly join the British Army - and are joining at record numbers. The Royal Irish Regiment is one of the few BA units with a recruitment backlog I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.