Britain Holds Live Missile Firing For Brunei Army

The Watcher

Britain Holds Live Missile Firing For Brunei Army

Tutong – A live firing demonstration of the British Royal Air Force Regiment Rapier FSC Jernas Short Range Air Defence Missile system to the Royal Brunei Armed Forces was held this afternoon.

The demonstration took place at the Bukit Agok Firing-Range in Tutong.

Present to watch the demonstration was YAM Retired Major General Pengiran Haji Ibnub Baasith, Deputy Minister of Defence, both Permanent Secretaries at the Ministry of Defence and Lord Bach of Lutterworth of the United Kingdom's Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Procurement.

Yang Dimuliakan Pehin Major General Dato Haji Awang Halbi, Commander of the Royal Brunei Armed Forces, and Pehin Colonel Dato Haji Mohd Yasmin, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Defence, also witnessed the demonstration.

The Royal Brunei Armed Forces through the Royal Brunei Air Force played an important role in ensuring the safety of the country's air space.

Since its formation, the Royal Brunei Air Force has gone through dramatic development in air defence with modern equipment such as rapier missiles.

The Force has also equipped itself with the state-of-the-art air defence systems from time to time.

Brudirect.com News

A

Aussie Digger

Does anyone know what aircraft the Royal Brunei Air force operate if any? I guess given the title they do operate aircraft, but do they operate combat aircraft or is it an airforce that like New Zealand, does not actually possess any significant combat capabilities?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They have a modern force relative to their size

Blackhawks with full FLIR kits, Casa 235's, Bells 212's and PC7's
As a side note, one of the Australian Olympic shooting team teaches the Sultan shooting.

Military is based on the British Army, They have a few OPV's in their navy.
Strong links with Malaysia.

A

Aussie Digger

Yeah a mate of mine in 1 Cmdo Regt exercised with Royal Brunei Army Special Forces a couple of years back and stated they predominantly use British Army Tactics, procedures etc. I guess they don't operate a front line combat aircraft eh?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They used to have Jet Provosts, but AFAIK they have no combat fixed wing elements left.

A

Aussie Digger

Hmm, does Britain base any combat assets their on a regular basis? A squadron or so of RAF Harriers would be perfect for such an environment.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Hmm, does Britain base any combat assets their on a regular basis? A squadron or so of RAF Harriers would be perfect for such an environment.
Unsure, the Sultan pays for the upkeep of the Ghurkas as part of a co-op pact. The SAS so some jungle training there as well.

I was under the impression that Hawks were in contention

A

Aussie Digger

The Hawk Mk 200 provides a fairly useful combat capability at (I'd imagine) a fairly reasonable price. I would however think some refurbished Harriers would provide a good level of capability at a reasonable price. Harriers have proven their effectiveness in Jungle type environments due to their manoeverability and their good air to air and air to ground capabilities.

Winter

Aussie Digger said:
A Ghurka battalion and a unit of (the only) British Army Air Corps Bell 212s to operate alongside their Brunei counterparts...Nothing quite so extravagant as RAF StrikeCom. As I recall, they hardly base overseas anymore. You could count them on one hand...

A

Aussie Digger

Well as I understand things, Britain was maintaining a Harrier flight of 4 or so aircraft in Belize, and the RAF still maintains a flight of aircraft in the Falklands, so I thought it might be the same in Brunei...

Winter

Aussie Digger said:
Well as I understand things, Britain was maintaining a Harrier flight of 4 or so aircraft in Belize, and the RAF still maintains a flight of aircraft in the Falklands, so I thought it might be the same in Brunei...
Nope...Just the Bell 212s.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They're also got the German equiv of the Loach, can't remember the designation, but it's a Bo-nnn

Falklands OTOH has Chinooks as well as a flight of leased SH61's for utility work.

Mt Pleasant has 4 x Tornados I think, unsure about SHAR/HAR's

winter may have a better idea on this..

Winter

gf0012 said:
They're also got the German equiv of the Loach, can't remember the designation, but it's a Bo-nnn

Falklands OTOH has Chinooks as well as a flight of leased SH61's for utility work.

Mt Pleasant has 4 x Tornados I think, unsure about SHAR/HAR's

winter may have a better idea on this..
No, you're right about everything, including the Tornados...As well as a Herky, a VC-10 tanker and Rapiers. Though to the best of my knowledge, there are no Harriers. I would imagine the current British presence there is just short of 1000 personnel. Which I suppose is a significant change from a lone and surrounded Royal Marine troop...

I really am no expert on this, and reference is easily available.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Falklands ORBAT

3 aircraft including 2 x Islanders and a Do 228
Helicopers from Brintel contracted to provide uplift in the Falklands itself - but these are civilian a/c (x 2) (SH-61's)
7, 303 and 751 Signals Units based at Mt Pl
Rapier Sqdn at Mt Pl
78 Sqdn 3 x SeaKing HAR3 and 2 x Chinook HC2
1-2 x Hercules
1 x VC-10 tanker
Flight of Tornados (x4)

Atlantic Patrol South comprises 1 x Endurance and 1 x Castle class, one of which is armed with a 20mm canon and was used to deter Taiwanese fishing vessels in 2003 to good effect (no more Taiwanese poachers have tried since!)

1200 military personnel on the island including 480 army personnel

Winter

gf0012 said:
Falklands ORBAT

3 aircraft including 2 x Islanders and a Do 228
Helicopers from Brintel contracted to provide uplift in the Falklands itself - but these are civilian a/c (x 2) (SH-61's)
7, 303 and 751 Signals Units based at Mt Pl
Rapier Sqdn at Mt Pl
78 Sqdn 3 x SeaKing HAR3 and 2 x Chinook HC2
1-2 x Hercules
1 x VC-10 tanker
Flight of Tornados (x4)

Atlantic Patrol South comprises 1 x Endurance and 1 x Castle class, one of which is armed with a 20mm canon and was used to deter Taiwanese fishing vessels in 2003 to good effect (no more Taiwanese poachers have tried since!)

1200 military personnel on the island including 480 army personnel
Now that is uncanny, gf... :roll

Still, at least you emphasised my last point on my previous post...Even if you blew my guestimate on the British strength out of the water...

Grrr

:frosty