Boeing Unveils New Stealthy F-15

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen Trimble of Flight International has provided further information on the DEWS in the F-15SE. As expected, DEWS is also being pitched as an upgrade option for the USAF F-15Es. To be clear, the F-15 SE is not pitched at the USAF but for international sales.

Stephen Trimble said:
USAF prepares upgrade strategy for F-15E fleet

Boeing confirms that its single-largest customer for the F-15E, the US Air Force, is finalising a new, long-term upgrade "roadmap" for the multirole fighter...

The USAF has meanwhile been briefed about the F-15 "Silent Eagle", Boeing's newly unveiled F-15E development featuring a reduced head-on radar cross section, BAE Systems digital electronic warfare suite (DEWS) and vertical stabilisers canted by 15°....

Boeing has also presented additional details about BAE's DEWS equipment to the USAF, Bass says, with the design - which includes an integrated radar jammer and radar warning receiver (RWR) - is among the F-15E upgrades under review by the service.

BAE confirms that the DEWS package is derived from the EW suite designed for the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, using a modular software architecture system called Barracuda. A key feature of the system is an interleaving mode that allows the pilot to continue jamming while simultaneously operating the radar and RWR.

The USAF plans to continue operating at least 200 F-15Es until 2035. But upgrade proposals, including digital avionics and towed decoys, have faced budget pressure from the USAF's strategy to buy a full complement of fifth-generation fighters...

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Stephen Trimble of Flight International has provided further information on the DEWS in the F-15SE. As expected, DEWS is also being pitched as an upgrade option for the USAF F-15Es. To be clear, the F-15 SE is not pitched at the USAF but for international sales.
With the secretary gates capping of F 22 production, and with overwhelm democrat now in congress compared to F 22 stouch allies (republican)..the future of continuety F 22 is getting dimmer and dimmer (now matter what the F 22 fan boys and supporters desprate arguments say)..

F 35 is potentially excellent fighters...but with the current F 22 fate..perhaps there's still possibility of F 15 SE..
Afterall with potential of 1700 F 16 and F 15, the replacement will be 180 F 22, 200 F 15 E, and supposedly 1400 F 35 CTOL. In paper it should be enough, if there will be 1400 F 35.
But many sources still doubted that will happen. The ball park figures only be between 900 - 1100. Unless the USAF wants continue downsizing their forces, than the balance will be on F 15 SE.
Unless off course they want to fill the gap with F 16 Block 60..:)

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
F 35 is potentially excellent fighters...but with the current F 22 fate..perhaps there's still possibility of F 15 SE...
I'm not too sure about the other parts of your post, but I'm pretty sure that the USAF does not want more F-15SEs. Let us set out the time line:

(i) The F-15Es made their first flight in 1986 and IIRC, the USAF made its last order of 10x F-15Es in April 2001, with Boeing completing delivery in 2005.

(ii) The F-22 was authorised to enter LRIP in Aug 2001 and since then, there have been no further F-15E orders.

I still think that it is the F-35 that will catch the orders from the USAF. The other members I'm sure will chime in on what they think. :)

BTW, I'm sure a crazy nut that has just registered will be posting here soon. I suspect he is a bitter ignorant man pretending to be something he is not or at least someone with mental health problems.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I'm not too sure about the other parts of your post, but I'm pretty sure that the USAF does not want more F-15SEs. Let us set out the time line:

I still think that it is the F-35 that will catch the orders from the USAF. The other members I'm sure will chime in on what they think. :)
Well I'm just playing with numbers. Secretary Gates submit eventual numbers will be more than 2000 F 35 (base on the context I have to assumed that's outside export orders). However the numbers seems for a life time F 35 cycle, which from other sources put 1400 F 35 at any given time. That with number of F 15 E and F 22 gates proposed seems will be close enough to replace 1700 current F 16 and F 15 C (i believe the number with current F 15 E is 1900). But that's if 1400 F 35 (at any given time) will be available.
If not and the USAF still want to maintain it's number level (which off course continue declining for the last decade), than something has to fill the gap that supposedly fill by F 35. For economics logic, it should be with F 35, I'm just toying with possible cut on proposed F 35 numbers.

BTW, I'm sure a crazy nut that has just registered will be posting here soon. I suspect he is a bitter ignorant man pretending to be something he is not or at least someone with mental health problems.
:D:D:D:D

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
(i believe the number with current F 15 E is 1900).
If you click on the first link provided earlier, it says:

"In April 2001, Boeing received a contract for a further ten F-15E aircraft for the USAF, bringing the total to 227. Deliveries began in June 2002 and are scheduled to complete in 2005."​

So, I don't think the 1900 figure for F-15E is correct. :D

Someone else posted the revised F-16/F-15 numbers before (Sorry just, can't remember the thread right now).

Well, the Mods are sure fast in banning that crazy guy and even deleting his posts. So we must really say thanks to our super efficient Mods.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
So, I don't think the 1900 figure for F-15E is correct. :D
The 1,900 number is for 200 F 15 E, 250 F 15 C & 1,450 F 16..I remember read it from other thread in key publishing forum, and if I'm not mistaken also from Air Combat review (for USAF review). The number is rounded, but the ball park is around that.

As i'm not mistaken the 1,700 is for F 16 and F 15 C that will be replaced by F 22 and F 35. That's why I put if 1,400 F 35 planned number (from total production for overall F 35 lifecycle which projected above 2,000) can be meet, than there will be no problem in future USAF fighters gap.
However if the F 35 projected numbers being cut, than if USAF still want to maintain existing numbers, the gap has to filled by others fighters (than F 35).

With F 22 being stoped produced, and F 35 can't meet projected numbers, than the F 15 SE scenario's can come into hand.
Off course gain this only if the F 35 numbers are much bellow the current projection.:)

HK_Thoughtful

Speaking of F-15E upgrades, does anyone have reliable information on the current status of AESA radar upgrades? I'm pretty sure that the entire E fleet will be retrofitted with the radars, but what about the other legacy Eagles. Last I heard, a long time ago, the Air Force was keen on keeping about 173 or so F-15C until 2020 and was retrofitting these with the AESA also.

Concerning the f-15se, I don't think that the USAF will consider buying the SE. With current support levels for the f-35 and much of Congress still pushing for the f-22, the f-15se seems to be shut out. Even if the f-35 program were to be cut, this cut would hypothetically come towards the latter stages of the program, the 2020/30 timeframe onwards. By then, a potential acquisition of f-15se would face a whole other set of problems.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The F-35 also replaces the F-18 and Harriers for the USN and USMC. You have to add those numbers to your planned production run.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The F-35 also replaces the F-18 and Harriers for the USN and USMC. You have to add those numbers to your planned production run.
Siigh...I forgot about that...well that's seems wil explain the 2000 more numbers the secretary gates told the congress...USAF got 1400 than the rest go to USMC & USN..

rjmaz1

Also the A-10 will be replaced by the F-35 towards the end of its production run.

We have to relalise that cheap unmanned platforms will end up performing many of the roles that we currently use fighter jets for. So we will not have to replace the current fighter fleet one for one with F-35's.

Replacing 2,000 USAF fighters with as little as 1,000 F-35A's and buying 500 unmanned aircraft will still be excellent. 1,400 F-35A's is bloody sensational. Remember you have 200 F-22's and the future medium bomber in the pipeline.

Very impressive.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Just a bit of clarification on this. The F-35B will replace the USMC Harriers. The F-35C will replace the legacy Hornets (F/A-18C/D). The Rhinos or Super Hornets will be around for many more years.

Also:

F-15E Strike Eagles are mainly bomb trucks in the USAF. While they retain the same AAW capability as their F-15C/D brothers, they are not used in ATA combat roles. The F-15E paint scheme is a darker shade of grey to further emphasize their difference.

swerve

Super Moderator
Siigh...I forgot about that...well that's seems wil explain the 2000 more numbers the secretary gates told the congress...USAF got 1400 than the rest go to USMC & USN..
Gates said 2443, didn't he? That hasn't changed for a while. 1763 for the USAF (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut) & 680 for the USN & USMC.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Gates said 2443, didn't he? That hasn't changed for a while. 1763 for the USAF (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut) & 680 for the USN & USMC.
Better not be another cut if the US still want to maintain current level of force..however with F 22 being capped, F 15 E will be maintain (but with no replacement in sight)..than US will hedge everthing (on fighters) on F 35..

Gosshh..don't expect come a day when US will hedge their fighters on one type..can expect that from frenchie and swedes..but then european did it with only Typhoon, The Ruskie eventually with only PakFa...still not expect the day that the only production fighters in US will only be F 35...:(

Could it be that 20 years to come only China and India that will have multiple fighters production..???
well the world certaintly has change...

freethinker

Better not be another cut if the US still want to maintain current level of force..however with F 22 being capped, F 15 E will be maintain (but with no replacement in sight)..than US will hedge everthing (on fighters) on F 35..

Gosshh..don't expect come a day when US will hedge their fighters on one type..can expect that from frenchie and swedes..but then european did it with only Typhoon, The Ruskie eventually with only PakFa...still not expect the day that the only production fighters in US will only be F 35...:(

Could it be that 20 years to come only China and India that will have multiple fighters production..???
well the world certaintly has change...
You already have the F-22 :) And im sure you can produce more should the need arise. Already ahead of the game.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually in terms of Russia, there are pervasive rumors about a 'light' version of the PAK-FA developed mainly by MiG.

Though the reason many people limit the number of aircraft in development at any given time is to lower costs and unify production/training/maintenance.

moahunter

Banned Member
This may be too conspiratorial, but I have seen it suggested that the Obama administration is not that fond of Lockheed (with its ties to Texas) relative to Boeing (in the liberal west). I realize the F35 is moving ahead for Lockheed, but perhaps Boeing and the F15SE or another project could do better under this administration?

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
This may be too conspiratorial, but I have seen it suggested that the Obama administration is not that fond of Lockheed (with its ties to Texas) relative to Boeing (in the liberal west). I realize the F35 is moving ahead for Lockheed, but perhaps Boeing and the F15SE or another project could do better under this administration?
Interestingly Boeing is a prime supplier to the F-22 program (Avionics Management Systems - Avionics system integration ; Wings ; Aft fuselage), a program where the Obama administration want to stop acquisitions. Boeing has a much smaller part in the F-35 programs (JDAM).

moahunter

Banned Member
hmmm - so much for that conspiracy then. :p: Anyway - I like the look of this plane, it will be interesting to see how many orders Boeing win in the markets they are targetting, it looks a good solution for countries needing something with a longer range than the F35 (which I am presuming this will have, despite the reduced range from a regular F15).

Ozzy Blizzard

You already have the F-22 :) And im sure you can produce more should the need arise. Already ahead of the game.
Additionally there are going to be a few "Golden Eagles" hanging around for the next 15 years. F-15C's with 3rd gen AESA's and 5th gen EW systems will be extremely capable in 2020, although no longer world leading. I hardly think this means the end to US dominance any time soon.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
New Boeing marketing video (June 2009) showing the capabilities of the F-15SE Silent Eagle:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6nx_GGERQ]Boeing Silent Eagle video[/ame]

According to Graham Warwick:

Graham Warwick said:
Jun 11, 2009 - Boeing Studies Stealth Eagle Options

...Boeing is working to complete the RCS studies as soon as possible so it can start the licensing process, he says, adding that the first request for proposals from a potential customer is expected between mid-2010 and 2011 from South Korea. The company is hoping the U.S. government will agree to release a frontal RCS level equivalent to that offered by the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. “Internationally we are looking for a level playing field,” Jones says.

Meanwhile, trade studies are also under way for design of the F-15SE weapons bays, including whether electric, hydraulic or pneumatic power, or some combination, should be used to actuate the doors and deploy the weapons quickly.These studies could involve potential international partners, and may take longer, Jones says. Some potential customers are interested in using the internal bays to house other payloads, including side-looking radar and broadband electronic-warfare jammers...

...Digital fly-by-wire allows removal of the mechanical flight controls and saves weight and volume, while the canted tails generate lift at the back of the aircraft and allow 400-500 pounds of ballast to be removed from the nose.

Jones says Boeing still plans to fly a Silent Eagle demonstrator in early to mid-2010 to show capability ahead of any international customer issuing a request for proposals. “International customers want low risk, and to see us test this before an RFP,” he says.
We should take note of the bold text - which indicates non-US customer interest in side-looking radar and broadband electronic-warfare jammers.

[h/t to theworacle and weasel1962, respectively]

Last edited: